Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I think I mentioned it here but my keezer controller had an issue and ended up freezing two keg. I cleaned everything out and man the beers were completely different. So much so I ended up dumping both. At least my Hendricks inspired saison came out really tasty, just need to let it carb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I brewed another batch of saison on Wednesday. Only change was Willamette for bittering and I had 2oz of Loral I wanted to try for flavor. I’d ended up bottling the last batch instead of barreling as the sample tasted great and it was already at 1.000. The Brett in the blend can do its thing while bottle conditioning. I bottled for 3.6 volumes of carbonation, so hopefully it’ll have some actual whip this time. That’s the part I’m having the most trouble with, and there’s 30% wheat in the grist. Hopefully all the trouble of corking is worth the while this time.

I’ll need to brew again next week, I’ve run out of things I can actually drink soon again. I’ve two sachets of Safale T-58 and I don’t think I’ve used the strain. If anyone has, what worked for it for you?

Death From Above posted:

Ok let me see here -

1) heated 16.5 qts of water to 165*
2) added grains and stirred, mash temperature is xxx* (didnt check)
a) added the beta amalayse at this point
3) let sit for 60 min stirring every 20 min
4) vorlaufed and drained mash tun
5) added 3.5 gallons of water at 170*, stirred, let sit for 10 min
6) vorlaufed and drained

The hydrometer is good, I check the calibration everytime I use it.

My crush size is about .06 (I have my own grain crusher) and I am wondering if this is the problem. I've often wondered if I am crushing the grain to the proper size.

DFA (The other Josh)

I have my mill set to just higher than 0.03 and that’s served me very well over the years. I’m pretty sure I measured it with a quarter to set it originally. 0.06 sounds a little big of a size, but that would lead to lower original extract and not a high finish. So if you’re dialed in okay on the front end, don’t change it. A smaller crush size is more likely to get you more extraction, but will give you other things to adapt too.

The biggest flag for me is you didn’t measure your mash temp, and this is probably where you’re having issues. Make sure you’re hitting 152 or whatever the recipe is calling for so you can adjust your water temp and dial in that end of things. Preheat your tun if you’re losing too much heat, or lower your mash water if it’s too hot(still preheat though if you can, it’s one less variable when weather changes). Going too hot with mash temp could lead to a high finish, but so could being too low. If you dial this part in well you won’t need to add amylaze unless you’re doing a Brut IPA.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Death From Above posted:

Ok let me see here -

1) heated 16.5 qts of water to 165*
2) added grains and stirred, mash temperature is xxx* (didnt check)
a) added the beta amalayse at this point
3) let sit for 60 min stirring every 20 min
4) vorlaufed and drained mash tun
5) added 3.5 gallons of water at 170*, stirred, let sit for 10 min
6) vorlaufed and drained

The hydrometer is good, I check the calibration everytime I use it.

My crush size is about .06 (I have my own grain crusher) and I am wondering if this is the problem. I've often wondered if I am crushing the grain to the proper size.

DFA (The other Josh)

.06 is a huge mill gap, and would definitely lead to reduced extraction. I would definitely dial that down to .035-.040. A credit card is a pretty good gauge for a gap, if you don't have a set of feeler gauges. As long as mash temp is in the range of ~148-160, you're probably fine, but you should measure that as well.

If you want to dial in your system, it helps to take measurements at multiple points in the process and write them down. So take a sample of your first runnings (when you drain the mash tun the first time), and get a gravity reading and volume (the more accurate the better, but ballpark numbers are better than nothing). Do the same thing with second runnings, and make sure your pre-boil volume and gravity (once everything's evenly mixed) pass a sanity test.

Also, just make sure you're thinking about volume, too. When I first started, my gravity numbers would be inconsistent, and my volume numbers would be inconsistent, too. "Hey, sweet, looks like I have an extra gallon of wort, no need to worry about getting trub in the fermenter! But why is my gravity so low?" or "Wow, my gravity is higher than it was supposed to be! I must be killing this efficiency thing. Shame I only got 4.5 gallons in the fermenter, though". Volume and gravity are inversely proportional, so if your volume is higher, your gravity is lower (assuming the same extraction), and vice versa.

Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way
Edited - Totally revamped this crappy post....

Sounds like I have some work to do yet. Next batch - 3 Floyd's Zombie Dust Clone (planned for next weekend), I'm going to adjust the grain mill to be no thicker than my credit card and try that as well as using a digital hand thermometer that I have. Any port in a storm I guess.

I always pre-heat the mash tun, to me that's a no brainer. Never thought about crush size though, but it makes sense. The larger the pieces, the less starches would be released due to less surface area to allow release. I can see the other things that would need adapting is the higher possibility for stuck sparges with a false bottom, but I already use rice hulls in every mash, so I might have to add more, or add them first before I add the grain to the water.

There's a couple of other things I should probably do as well that I have seen. One is to put quart measuring marks either on my boil pot or get a piece of metal as long as my kettle is high and make the marks on there, so I can measure my final boil volume as well.

I'm starting to get to the point where making beer is great, and I do make consistently good beer, but I want to start competing in competitions, and to do that, I think I need to fine tune my rig and increase my efficiency more. I think seeing the 3rd run of this beer having the same OG, really lit a fireunder me to fine tune my system.

Thank you to all who weighed in. I'll post the details on the progress next weekend once I change some things up, and make the beer.

Death From Above fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 8, 2020

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jhet posted:

I brewed another batch of saison on Wednesday. Only change was Willamette for bittering and I had 2oz of Loral I wanted to try for flavor. I’d ended up bottling the last batch instead of barreling as the sample tasted great and it was already at 1.000. The Brett in the blend can do its thing while bottle conditioning. I bottled for 3.6 volumes of carbonation, so hopefully it’ll have some actual whip this time. That’s the part I’m having the most trouble with, and there’s 30% wheat in the grist. Hopefully all the trouble of corking is worth the while this time.

I’ll need to brew again next week, I’ve run out of things I can actually drink soon again. I’ve two sachets of Safale T-58 and I don’t think I’ve used the strain. If anyone has, what worked for it for you?

I can never bottle condition that high without the beer creeping out of the bottle, maybe it's okay as long as you don't get any trub or hop particles in there to serve as nucleation points. I would love to push it up there but I keep it safe around 3.0 for now.

I have not done it, but I hear that straight Pils grists, a bunch of late hops and ibu:og ratios over 1 (think xx bitter) work well with the strain.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

I can never bottle condition that high without the beer creeping out of the bottle, maybe it's okay as long as you don't get any trub or hop particles in there to serve as nucleation points. I would love to push it up there but I keep it safe around 3.0 for now.

I have not done it, but I hear that straight Pils grists, a bunch of late hops and ibu:og ratios over 1 (think xx bitter) work well with the strain.

I’ll keep that in mind about the hops, I hadn’t thought about it as helping with head retention. I have really soft and mineral free water again so I can really load in the hops and it still goes smoothly bitter. I’ve been using the wheat because I like how it turns out for a lot of things, but I also bought 25kg sack of it and need to use it for something. Most will get used in the late autumn for spontaneous season, but 4 batches at 40% grist is still not even half of the sack.

I’ve had good enough results doing only pils with French pils malt, but I’m using Canadian grown Euro pils and it’s not quite the same. 3.5vol works in the champagne bottles easy, and it’s very clear going into the bottles. So I’ll see tonight as it’s been long enough to try. I’m sure they’ll be even better in another 3-4 weeks. Batch 2 is fermenting vigorously, and it just seems a summer of trying to nail down my house recipe and microbe selection. I think the Blaugies strain I have is probably going to be the base, but I want to isolate the yeast in my spontaneous from years past maybe and add it into the house culture too.

Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way
And since this is a beer thread.... This is my first attempt at building a keezer. I want to post images of this thing, but I'm having some operator error. I haven't realy been on here in years, has something changed? Usually I thought it would be something like [i mg] [ /i mg] (remove spaces) and a link to a hosted image like imgur or something, but I must be mistaken. How are you all posting images?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

Death From Above posted:

And since this is a beer thread.... This is my first attempt at building a keezer. I want to post images of this thing, but I'm having some operator error. I haven't realy been on here in years, has something changed? Usually I thought it would be something like [i mg] [ /i mg] (remove spaces) and a link to a hosted image like imgur or something, but I must be mistaken. How are you all posting images?

Yeah, that's how. Make sure you're getting the link to the actual image on imgur and not the webpage the image is on. The URL should end in .jpg. If not, right click the picture and do Copy Image Address.

The bbcode is (replacing () with []) (img)https://link.to/your.jpg(/img). If you paste an Imgur url in the post box, it should auto-add the img tags, too.

Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way

Score big time! Thank you!!

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

That's a hell of a first keezer. Looks awesome.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
I should switch to all red air hoses like that to simplify things, looks really nice.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Death From Above posted:

Score big time! Thank you!!

What's going on with the pvc pipe on the side in the second picture? Is there a fan in there or something else? It looks really nice and now you just need to fill it with kegs.

Death From Above
Mar 29, 2009

All The Way

honda whisperer posted:

That's a hell of a first keezer. Looks awesome.

Thanks H.W. it was my first keezer build. I have two more dorm fridges that I want to convert into single kegerators for 3 gallon kegs. Don't know yet if I want to put a tap on top or one in the front yet. Still researching on that. This keezer will be sold when I build my bar in the man cave and I'm going to build in a 10 kegger. I dont drink that much, but I do love variety. :)

Jhet posted:

What's going on with the pvc pipe on the side in the second picture? Is there a fan in there or something else? It looks really nice and now you just need to fill it with kegs.

That is a 3" boat duct fan for air circulation. It feeds airflow from the top to the bottom and there is a base of inteconnected PVC pipe with holes to allow air to push the dead moist air to the top to be circulated again. You also cannot see is that there is a plastic jar of dessicant to assist in ridding the air of moisture. That container will be changed out with a custom piece that I am making that will be a piece of PVC capped with screen and filled with dessicant so that 100% of the air flow passes over the it to dry it out. I did not post pictures of is what is inside of those panels. I have a 12V DC power supply, the temperature controller, all of my ancillary wiring, and all of the extra lengths of beer line coiled under the doors. It keeps it nice and clean looking, and also allows me to narrow down tweaks to one side or the other.

When I do it again, I'll add something to keep the beer/gas lines all neat. The kegs have to be in just the right position in this one. If I had not put the doors on the top of it, it would not have been an issue.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010

more falafel please posted:

My apologies, and congratulations on having a society. If you could invade any time soon, that would be great.

My personal experience brewing beers for a wedding (mine, my friend's who i was best man for, and my cousin's) is that unless your guest list is mostly homebrewers, they'll all think it's ridiculously impressive that Someone brewed the beer, and it basically doesn't matter what it tastes like. I brewed a bunch of extract honey brown ale for my wedding, bottle conditioned it, and told the bartender to be sure he carefully poured it into glasses. There were at least 10 occasions where someone on the dance floor slugged a bottle back saying "you made this? it's great! i love belgians!" and you know what, that's fine.

Thank you, that's reassuring. :)

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
After 5 years of brewing I'm attempting my first pale ale... a good buddy of mine asked if I'd brew him an APA after seeing the Dubbel I did for the wife. Figured it was about time.

Everyone calls him Cojo, so figured I'd incorporate that as best I can. Haven't figured out the schedule yet, but hops are: COlumbus, Jester, and Olicana.

The rest is pretty straight forward:

90% 2-row
5% Munich II
2.5% Wheat
2.5% Crystal 60

My lhbs was out of WLP001, so I'm gonna give WLP090 San Diego Super Yeast a shot.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

I'm going to try for 2.5 gal batches, ordering a kettle and an SS fermenter (:homebrew:). Also I like how that emote is called homebrew.

I'm going to start with a red ale and try out kveik yeast since I won't have temperature control. Probably not ideal for the style, but I'm just going to go simple with the first few brews to get used to everything.

For 2.5 gal, I was going to use

3 lbs light DME
8 oz 60L Crystal
2.5 oz Roasted Barly 300L

3/4 oz East Kent Goldings, 60 minute boil (or 1 oz 30 minute boil), ~25 ibu

I might be on the high range for the crystal, I think that comes out to about 10%? Usually when I think of a red ale it's noticeably sweet, but would that be too much?

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Anyone done hard seltzer? Is it really as easy as water dextrose yeast? I was thinking I'd make a berry jam and dissolve it for flavour plus priming. Bad idea?

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon

field balm posted:

Anyone done hard seltzer? Is it really as easy as water dextrose yeast? I was thinking I'd make a berry jam and dissolve it for flavour plus priming. Bad idea?

Hard seltzer is a distilled spirit alcohol made usually from rice thats diluted and carbonated.

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

Hard seltzer is a distilled spirit alcohol made usually from rice thats diluted and carbonated.

I'm fairly sure there are also fermented hard seltzers, which is what i was asking about

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!
I made some seltzer just to try it. Just boiled some distilled water for 10 min and added sugar and yeast nutrient, then chilled it and mixed in raspberry extract and some kviek yeast. It was fine, I don't really get the point of hard seltzer but I had 7 or 8 people try it and they all liked it.

My only caveat would be any off flavors will be very apparent so use yeast nutrient, a lot of healthy yeast and keep it at an appropriate temperature. I've seen some recommendations to do staggered yeast nutrient additions. I didn't do that I just did double my normal nutrient addition and oxygenated longer than usual. No idea about bottling it since I keg, I'd probably add fresh yeast at bottling.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

There are lots of them that are essentially just mikes hard lemonade, but with better branding. The ones at craft breweries are fermented like beer and not distilled.

I haven't made one, but I can say based on my pro brewer friends that have been troubleshooting them, that water profile and getting a good fermentation is the most important part. Flavoring is the easier part by far if you can get those worked out.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

field balm posted:

I'm fairly sure there are also fermented hard seltzers, which is what i was asking about

Normally you’d use some sort of concentrate for flavoring. Any fruit is going to color it, but otherwise you can do it with water, dextrose/sucrose, and yeast. A great idea to add nutrients too.

Pretty sure someone in this thread may have done one, as this question came up a few months ago too. Adventures in Homebrewing had a whole bunch of flavor concentrates at that time.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
So I tried fermenting ginger beer for the first time but after a week it still tastes much too sweet, a lot of the recipes online say a week is a long time but mine doesn't seem to be doing much.

I used 250 grams of ginger and 1 kg of sugar.

if you're wondering what all the debris is at the top and bottom, I blended the ginger, skin included. Can't see anything nasty in there.

For the yeast I used a ginger bug, about 1 cup. It seemed to be very healthy when i put it in, lots of bubbles and yeasty smells.

Cant see any bubbling in the airlock, it's been sitting at room temp for 1 week which has been about 15-25°C(59-77°F) here which I know is a little cool so I expected it it be slower but not this slow.

Did my yeast die? Has this got a chance of still working? I'm thinking maybe the bug wasn't strong enough.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Eeyo posted:

I might be on the high range for the crystal, I think that comes out to about 10%? Usually when I think of a red ale it's noticeably sweet, but would that be too much?

I'm a firm believer in the less Crystal the better, but I think 10% is a good place to start here. I wouldn't go above that though, at least not the first batch. While you're right about the sweetness, I also think of a dry finish with Reds.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

EDITED.

BaseballPCHiker fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 2, 2022

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty
I did a hard seltzer with store-bought citrus vodka and lime zest, + filtered water force carbed in a keg. It didn't come out very good and it was hard to get that effervescent carbonation out of the same kegerator as my other beers.

I might try a fermented version. I like having something really clean on tap and it'd be fun to bring to (hopefully) future beer festivals as a beer alternative.

Dude Sweet
Jul 26, 2010
So I too finished building a 4 keg keezer! I used a chest freezer I bought at a garage sale, some lengths of weather damaged/warped wood I found in the shed and some incredibly amateur woodworking skills.

Feels pretty great to pour a pint. :D

more falafel please posted:

My apologies, and congratulations on having a society. If you could invade any time soon, that would be great.

My personal experience brewing beers for a wedding (mine, my friend's who i was best man for, and my cousin's) is that unless your guest list is mostly homebrewers, they'll all think it's ridiculously impressive that Someone brewed the beer, and it basically doesn't matter what it tastes like. I brewed a bunch of extract honey brown ale for my wedding, bottle conditioned it, and told the bartender to be sure he carefully poured it into glasses. There were at least 10 occasions where someone on the dance floor slugged a bottle back saying "you made this? it's great! i love belgians!" and you know what, that's fine.

Thank you, that's really reassuring. :)

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

I have cases of commercial hops. Anyone want to buy 22# commercial bags of 2019 hops? Mosaic? El Dorado? GR Mandarina Bavaria?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Dude Sweet posted:

It's also pretty funny.

I'm soon done conditioning my fourth ever beer, a german style dark lager. I cannot believe how well it turned out, it's drinkable immediately and very full and rich, almost overwhelming with flavours. This type is gonna be a staple for me going forward. Overshot my target OG for this one a little bit but the attenuation was pretty spot on.

Also bottled a strawberry mead, turned out okay but not as strawberry forward as I had thought. Gonna see how this one does, might add more strawberry or better quality next time. Secondaried a nagoonberry and wild raspberry honey sweet mead, and brewed a cyser with Gravenstein apples and summer flower honey.

This hobby is incredibly rewarding.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Clever Betty

Dude Sweet posted:

So I too finished building a 4 keg keezer! I used a chest freezer I bought at a garage sale, some lengths of weather damaged/warped wood I found in the shed and some incredibly amateur woodworking skills.

Feels pretty great to pour a pint. :D

Offset taps are the real champ here. Esp on that model where the hump is on the right side, it'd be so much easier if I'd built mine like that instead of wrestling things around the center-mounted taps. I could rebuild mine but :effort:

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 13, 2020

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

robotsinmyhead posted:

Offset taps are the real champ here. Esp on that model where the hump is on the right side, it'd be so much easier if I'd built mine like that instead of wrestling things around the center-mounted taps. I could rebuild mine by :effort:

I did offset so I could expand the number of taps. I started with 4, then got one on the hump for seltzer. I've also thought about adding a sometimes-hooked up stout faucet.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

gamera009 posted:

I have cases of commercial hops. Anyone want to buy 22# commercial bags of 2019 hops? Mosaic? El Dorado? GR Mandarina Bavaria?

I'm cautiously interested. What do you think you might charge for Mosaic, shipped to Southern California?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Jo3sh posted:

I'm cautiously interested. What do you think you might charge for Mosaic, shipped to Southern California?

Haha, I almost asked last night. Then I realized I remembered that I can’t fit 22# of even pellet hops into my kitchen freezer if I ever wanted to put anything else into it.

It would let you throw a pound of Mosaic into 22 different IPAs, which is a win in my book.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

That's a good point that I didn't even think about. I could find a home for 22# of pellets, and that's how I generally buy hops, so I neglected to consider that they might be whole flowers. Well, we'll see what the response is.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, it will make some great beer. And I’d put my money on t90 pellets. I don’t have a keezer anymore though, so I’ve no where to store them.

I do think it would be hilarious and awesome to brew something (5 gallons) and just drop in half a pound for whirlpool and then another half for dry hop. I’d worry about oxidation though, holy wow.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo
Ordered ahead and asked my brewshop to double crush the grain for the first time, suddenly biab mash efficiency goes from ~60% to 90%. I checked gravity about 20 mins into the mash and it was bang on where I was expecting it from my previous mashes, stirred a bit, then by the end of the 60 min mash the gravity had sky rocketed, which doesn't make much sense to me as I thought most conversion happened within 20 mins?

I'm using US-05 for the first time and there doesn't appear to be any krausen or air lock activity after nearly 36 hours, gravity has dropped from 1.059 to 1.055 so I assume something is happening.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Well, conversion is a different thing than extraction. You can convert starches in 20 minutes, but if they are trapped in the granules, they aren't in your gravity sample or your ferementer.

gamera009
Apr 7, 2005

Jo3sh posted:

That's a good point that I didn't even think about. I could find a home for 22# of pellets, and that's how I generally buy hops, so I neglected to consider that they might be whole flowers. Well, we'll see what the response is.

It’s T90 pellets. All of it is T90.

I have a large number of varietals I’m trying to offload.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

So I dropped a (probably galvanized) hex nut in my boil tonight. I use a block and tackle to lift my mash basket to drain, and when I took the block and tackle down, something fell into the kettle. I dug around for it for a while before giving up, but when I drained everything out, there was a hex but, maybe 1/4" or 5/16" threaded. The rest of the body and bolts look like they're galvanized, so I assume this is too. I know galvanized isn't ok for brewing/food use, but is a single nut in a 5 gallon batch anything to be concerned about?

edit: for reference. Thread tape for scale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Question about cleaning valves. The kettle I got has a 1/2" 3-piece ball valve, which I'll disassemble and clean. The fermenter has a smaller 3/8 "mini" ball valve that I'm not sure if I can get the ball out of. If I can't disassemble it fully, should I just soak it in PBW and open/close it a few times? I guess I'm concerned about trub or yeast cake working its way into the body somehow.

Also, for NPT connections, should I be using teflon tape on all of them? The kettle valve has a nut on the inside, do the threads inside the kettle also get some teflon tape? An o-ring goes on the outside of the kettle, so the inside threads won't be providing the leaktight seal I think.