Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

redeyes posted:

No idea. What is it?

I think this is a switch lubing station, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Edit: ^^^ beaten.

redeyes posted:

No idea. What is it?

Llamadeus got it right, they are Zilents 62g. But the post was about that being a switch lube station. It’s a ridiculous amount of work for very slight gains in feel.

I do not think I will ever try to design a board and start a group buy on it, so this is probably the furthest keyboard madness will take me.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Aug 8, 2020

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the MK Night Typist and a Ducky One 2? I hear that they are just a rebranded Ducky but I can't find any concrete proof. If it is I might cancel my order of the One 2 and get the Night Typist because it's in stock, whereas I may be waiting until mid September

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

snackcakes posted:

Does anyone know if there is a difference between the MK Night Typist and a Ducky One 2? I hear that they are just a rebranded Ducky but I can't find any concrete proof. If it is I might cancel my order of the One 2 and get the Night Typist because it's in stock, whereas I may be waiting until mid September
This guy took it apart, the PCB has the Ducky logo on it: https://www.techpowerup.com/review/mechanical-keyboards-mk-night-typist-keyboard/4.html iirc Ducky has a partnership with MK.com in some respect which is why that's the main place to buy their boards in the US.

I haven't used a Ducky One 2 but I do really like the feel of the Night Typist. The PBT keycaps feel quite nice, and the (plastic) case feels sturdy without being too heavy and has a nice finish. My only complaints have been that the shine-through isn't 100% perfect on all the caps (so a couple letters are more dim in a spot) and the indicator LEDs don't dim when you adjust the backlighting (but idk if that's even really a thing, and it doesn't bother me anymore).

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

That's, uh, special. I can't help but think about how wasteful the display is. Either you are sitting alone in a room and you can't see it, because it's facing away from you. Or you are sitting with someone else in the room and they can see it and they probably think you are extra obnoxious with your keyboard that is not only clacky, but also spitting out bright lights.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Finally assembled, now I just need to do reprogram a few keys and get the fixed spacebar from Drop and it’ll be good to go.

edit: Hmm, the stabilizer keys on this board are still pretty loud, praying adding a bit more grease helps. But I get the feeling it won't; I didn't skimp when I was modding them initially. Might need to find some foam to shove into the keycaps themselves.

.Z. fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Aug 8, 2020

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Finally assembled, now I just need to do reprogram a few keys and get the fixed spacebar from Drop and it’ll be good to go.

edit: Hmm, the stabilizer keys on this board are still pretty loud, praying adding a bit more grease helps. But I get the feeling it won't; I didn't skimp when I was modding them initially. Might need to find some foam to shove into the keycaps themselves.

Have you tried straightening the wires? The stab wires might be a little bent/twisted. If you can get them to lay flat on a table without rocking when you tap on them it might solve the problem.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I.. I love it.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

this keyboard looks like it should make this noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Deviant posted:

this keyboard looks like it should make this noise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4PYI6TzqYk

I sent it to my co-worker and his response was "I can hear this picture"

Dramicus posted:

That's, uh, special. I can't help but think about how wasteful the display is. Either you are sitting alone in a room and you can't see it, because it's facing away from you. Or you are sitting with someone else in the room and they can see it and they probably think you are extra obnoxious with your keyboard that is not only clacky, but also spitting out bright lights.
This isn't the kind of keyboard you take to work. This is the kind of keyboard you take on the Bridge.

In other news, my MT3 Susuwatari just arrived.

I put it on my durgod k320

The homing keys have deeper dishes than the rest of the keys.

All done.

It's a really nice profile.

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I put it on my durgod k320

The homing keys have deeper dishes than the rest of the keys.

All done.

Hell yeah, Susuwatari buddy :hfive: I love the profile and the look of this set a lot.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I really like the row layout of those keycaps.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

.Z. posted:

Llamadeus got it right, they are Zilents 62g. But the post was about that being a switch lube station. It’s a ridiculous amount of work for very slight gains in feel.

I do not think I will ever try to design a board and start a group buy on it, so this is probably the furthest keyboard madness will take me.

you can get stereo inspection microscopes on ebay for a couple hundred, then you could make sure the surfaces are all perfectly smooth and free of FOD. just saying :angel:

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
KAT Mizu GB starting Sept 1! I have loved the color-way but it was always just lacking something. KAT is my favorite profile so that seals the deal.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Those look fantastic, drat. Not only visually, but they look like they'd feel great to type on.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

is there a word for craving something that looks delicious but for button pressing instead of taste

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Dramicus posted:

Have you tried straightening the wires? The stab wires might be a little bent/twisted. If you can get them to lay flat on a table without rocking when you tap on them it might solve the problem.

I took another look at them, but they lay flat. So I don't think they are bent. Also they look the same as the wires for the stabilizers I put on my Alt board. I added a bit more lube before reassembling, but that didn't really change much. I've got some foam coming in, hopefully that will help.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Are they genuine Cherry stabs? The tolerances on other stabilizers are still pretty bad and rattly.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Constellation I posted:

Are they genuine Cherry stabs? The tolerances on other stabilizers are still pretty bad and rattly.

Supposed to be, got them from Novelkeys so I don't think they're fakes. The sound isn't rattly or pingy. Just loud on the return.

The stabilizers on my Alt board are from the same order and I don't really have any problems there. On the other hand, I'm running Box Whites on my Alt, so I just might not be noticing the noise there.

At this point the only things left I think I can do to dampen noise are:

1. Add foam between the plate and the PCB for the stabilizer switches. Not sure if that'll gain me anything since I've got foam in place for all the other switches.
2. Add foam to the keycaps.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

In other news, my MT3 Susuwatari just arrived.

Mine will arrive today. Can't decide if I'll end up throwing those on the new board or stick with the Zabumon.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I notice folks putting small pieces of band-aids under the stabs. Makes them much less likely to rattle.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Stroop There It Is posted:

is there a word for craving something that looks delicious but for button pressing instead of taste

yeah, horny

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

.Z. posted:

Supposed to be, got them from Novelkeys so I don't think they're fakes. The sound isn't rattly or pingy. Just loud on the return.

The stabilizers on my Alt board are from the same order and I don't really have any problems there. On the other hand, I'm running Box Whites on my Alt, so I just might not be noticing the noise there.

At this point the only things left I think I can do to dampen noise are:

1. Add foam between the plate and the PCB for the stabilizer switches. Not sure if that'll gain me anything since I've got foam in place for all the other switches.
2. Add foam to the keycaps.

Mine will arrive today. Can't decide if I'll end up throwing those on the new board or stick with the Zabumon.

If it's only making noise on the return, it could just be the sound of the switch. Some are just louder than others when you let off them. Depending on what kind of switches you have, you might be able to swap the spacebar switch with a silenced version that cushions the return.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Might be worth trying some other stabilizers too. Durock, Everglide and Zeal are supposedly pretty good.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

redeyes posted:

I notice folks putting small pieces of band-aids under the stabs. Makes them much less likely to rattle.

Did that already :smith:

Dramicus posted:

If it's only making noise on the return, it could just be the sound of the switch. Some are just louder than others when you let off them. Depending on what kind of switches you have, you might be able to swap the spacebar switch with a silenced version that cushions the return.

I'm already using Zilents. :smith:

Llamadeus posted:

Might be worth trying some other stabilizers too. Durock, Everglide and Zeal are supposedly pretty good.

The board is setup for plate mount stabilizers. And as far as I know, Cherry is the best option there. :smith:

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I guess your best option would be to put some dense foam on the inside of the spacebar keycap to cut down on reverberation and any hollow noise that you might be getting.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
Zeal, I love your Zealios, but I'm not paying 41 USD for 5 stabs drat.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The Epomaker GK86X I got from their Kickstarter came absurdly fast, and I'm liking it so far.
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1292100468835901442

Also messing with my Gherkin and using it as a QWERTY (rather than for steno or as a macropad) for the first time.
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1292797370573307904

Currently I'm waiting for my Gergoplex Heavy to ship and then I'll truly be in the land of weird keyboards.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey nice. I test boards for Epomaker. What options did you choose?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

.Z. posted:

Did that already :smith:

I'm already using Zilents. :smith:

The board is setup for plate mount stabilizers. And as far as I know, Cherry is the best option there. :smith:

I shoved a crap load of compressible foam around my spacebar and stab area. Worked pretty well!

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Constellation I posted:

Zeal, I love your Zealios, but I'm not paying 41 USD for 5 stabs drat.

Hah, yeah. Only, like, an insane moron would do something like that, heh, and for a keyboard group buy that goes off the rails and never gets fulfilled? That's just the stupidest thing a person could do. Heh.

:sweatdrop:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
So do thick keys not like the metal bar style stabilizers? my stabilized keys keep jamming after buying some thick chinese keys that also seem to be slightly low profile.

Sorry :nms:

It appears that butchering a layer of plastic off the bottom lip of the key was the solution, guess I won't be putting any super fancy keycaps on this board.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Aug 11, 2020

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

Ewen Cluney posted:

The Epomaker GK86X I got from their Kickstarter came absurdly fast, and I'm liking it so far.
https://twitter.com/nekoewen/status/1292100468835901442

I still can't get over the backspace placement...it's just so far! Do you have any trouble hitting it correctly?

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

interrodactyl posted:

I still can't get over the backspace placement...it's just so far! Do you have any trouble hitting it correctly?

Just practice until you stop needing to use it. :colbert: (I kid)

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

.Z. posted:

hey there MT3 Serika / Zilents buddy. Board looks great, I thought you weren't supposed to lube Zilents as they are factory lubed though? Could be completely wrong, I never bothered lubing them, might do the T1 Aliaz some day.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I'm an idiot and joined the Indiegogo for the Cyberboard.
God help me.

If anyone else wants to get fleeced like me here's a secret perk link for $20 off.

Cyber Grey - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2602723/x/23634611?secret_perk_token=1ec9c943
Industrial Yellow - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2602723/x/23634611?secret_perk_token=2e7efb22
Purple Haze - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2602723/x/23634611?secret_perk_token=659c2943
Vapor White - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2602723/x/23634611?secret_perk_token=cf17fe6a
Jungle Green - https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/2602723/x/23634611?secret_perk_token=680a36a2

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

I was gonna back this but on the discord they said that they weren't able to get QMK on this version, so I'll wait for v2 if that's ever gonna happen. I need my customizable layers.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

ihatepants posted:

I was gonna back this but on the discord they said that they weren't able to get QMK on this version, so I'll wait for v2 if that's ever gonna happen. I need my customizable layers.

I mean... it's a 75%. The only thing it's missing is a delete key and I'm pretty sure you can still do key replacement.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I mean... it's a 75%. The only thing it's missing is a delete key and I'm pretty sure you can still do key replacement.

You can do simple key replacement but you can't program it further than that to do what you might want it to do. After using Space Cadet Shift (where tapping shift ctrl or alt will do brackets () [] {} for you) I don't want to go back to a board I can't do that with. I don't want to pay a premium price for a keyboard that doesn't even have functions that you can get on much cheaper keyboards.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!

redeyes posted:

Hey nice. I test boards for Epomaker. What options did you choose?
I got the wired version with Gateron Blue switches. :)

interrodactyl posted:

It hasn't been a problem for me so far, though the placement of the Delete/Page Up/Page Down can keys is taking some getting used to. I do find I want a Control key on the right side, and I may have to try setting the split spacebar up to provide that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

LochNessMonster posted:

hey there MT3 Serika / Zilents buddy. Board looks great, I thought you weren't supposed to lube Zilents as they are factory lubed though? Could be completely wrong, I never bothered lubing them, might do the T1 Aliaz some day.

I'd heard that as well, but it seemed they could still benefit from a lubing. And there is a slight improvement. I really did it for the novelty factor more than anything else.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm an idiot and joined the Indiegogo for the Cyberboard.
God help me.

Not gonna lie, kinda tempted by the purple case for my SA Laser set. But I'd also prefer QMK so I'll sit it out.

Oh yeah, if any of you have a FC980C board and feel like blowing a bunch of money on it, Norbauer has preorders up for aluminum and steel replacement cases. ($545 and $1,475 :aaaaa:)

https://shop.norbauer.com/products/the-heavy-9-fc980c?variant=32616967209014