Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Patrick Spens posted:

That's weird, why isn't it available?

Licensing probably. It got pulled down and people have been salty for years because it destroyed history

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Len posted:

It really wasn't that great a game watch a playthrough on YouTube

Yeah I was stoked at first and it was fun for the first level, but the gameplay never changes and it's just endless levels of beat-em-up. I gave up around the third interminable level when I was literally falling asleep at the controller. Shame too, because I love Paul Robertson's animation and wanted to see what else was in the game, but it was just too boring to finish.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Besides it's 2020 none of these people are going to buy a PS3 just to get a mediocre brawler

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Len posted:

Licensing probably. It got pulled down and people have been salty for years because it destroyed history

Eh, I dunno. In all seriousness, video games are a pretty hard medium to preserve, since there's always the push to sunset products for technical reasons (not compatible with new hardware, operating systems, DRM that relied on non-existent servers, dead batteries in old cartridges, etc.) It's not like a book where you can just keep it on the shelf and read it whenever: many old games are just flat-out unplayable. It's also a medium where there are really fascinating leaps and bounds in capabilities with every generation, and there's a lot that can be learned by playing and disassembling old games. I can appreciate that there are people who really want to preserve as much as possible, even for games that aren't really notable in any way.

None of which is to say that's why people are salty about the Scott Pilgrim game. It's more likely just cargo-cult fetishism. But honestly, if you want to get salty about something, companies arbitrarily deciding to discontinue games that would be totally operable is an admittedly fairly trivial but at least somewhat viable target.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Karia posted:

Eh, I dunno. In all seriousness, video games are a pretty hard medium to preserve, since there's always the push to sunset products for technical reasons (not compatible with new hardware, operating systems, DRM that relied on non-existent servers, dead batteries in old cartridges, etc.) It's not like a book where you can just keep it on the shelf and read it whenever: many old games are just flat-out unplayable. It's also a medium where there are really fascinating leaps and bounds in capabilities with every generation, and there's a lot that can be learned by playing and disassembling old games. I can appreciate that there are people who really want to preserve as much as possible, even for games that aren't really notable in any way.

None of which is to say that's why people are salty about the Scott Pilgrim game. It's more likely just cargo-cult fetishism. But honestly, if you want to get salty about something, companies arbitrarily deciding to discontinue games that would be totally operable is an admittedly fairly trivial but at least somewhat viable target.

Youtube exists though

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Skwirl posted:

Holy poo poo, just going straight to the hard R.

https://twitter.com/pxcaballero/status/1292859790603870208?s=20

And also not knowing how to spell the slurs you're offended by. She's thinking of "wop" which was an acronym for "with out papers".

As a child I always thought "wop" was the American version of "wog", the Australian slur for Mediterranean people . Both of which I assumed were from olde-timey days and acronyms for Western Oriental Person/Gentleman. Never mind that Italy and Greece aren't in the western orient.

Come to think of it, there were a lot of slurs that I didn't understand that were used in other countries. As opposed to the simplicity and clarity of good honest Australian racism.

abbo=aboriginal, Lebbo=Lebanese person, curry muncher, (which I and my brother got)=because Indians eat curry etc.

Ahh, the simple days when you knew what you were being racially abused for.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
As a child I thought it was because of italian doo wop singers from the 50s.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I think the Scott Pilgrim game is less of an actual technical hurdle or high priority for game preservation, and more of a perfect example of the difficulties with game preservation.

Scott Pilgrim is a lost game, legally speaking, because it was a download-only title that the publisher took off the market. It's not the only game like that, and it's not an unsolvable problem when working outside of legal means (I know people have shared pirated versions of P.T., I assume that's also true of Scott Pilgrim but I don't know), but it's a really digestible example you can point to, because people know and understand Scott Pilgrim without much extra info.

It's similar to Goldeneye. Nothing short of a world-spanning EMP will get rid of all the ROMs of Goldeneye, and even if it is I'm sure cartridges would still survive. But it's a perfect example of how rights about games can become a complicated snarl, and how something like that can take away the ability to readily and legally play classic, even historic, games. And you don't even have to explain why it's important to, because everyone knows Goldeneye.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 01:35 on Aug 11, 2020

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Len posted:

Youtube exists though

I find it more than slightly ironic that your suggestion for preserving video games is to just... take away the second word. The entire point of a game is interactivity! It's like saying "who needs books? They made a movie out of it, just watch that." They're inherently different experiences. Not always a worse experience! There are many games that I'd rather watch than play, but I'd always prefer that people have the choice to experience them however they want to.

Look, gamers are a plague, and the vast majority of video games are utter dogshit, and I'm not going to deny that. I've never played or seen the Scott Pilgrim game (nor am I familiar with Scott Pilgrim at all), and maybe it would be better off consigned to the dustheap of history. But I don't feel comfortable with the producers just deciding arbitrarily to yank the product from the digital shelves. This isn't even like a book where people can trade used copies: DRM locks it so that nobody who didn't purchase the game originally will ever be able to play it. The game itself isn't the point: it's about how it perfectly encapsulates all the issues that everyone's been predicting with DRM and software licencing since... the birth of DRM and software licencing.

In short:

Cleretic posted:

I think the Scott Pilgrim game is less of an actual technical hurdle or high priority for game preservation, and more of a perfect example of the difficulties with game preservation.

Scott Pilgrim is a lost game, legally speaking, because it was a download-only title that the publisher took off the market. It's not the only game like that, and it's not an unsolvable problem when working outside of legal means (I know people have shared pirated versions of P.T., I assume that's also true of Scott Pilgrim but I don't know), but it's a really digestible example you can point to, because people know and understand Scott Pilgrim without much extra info.

It's similar to Goldeneye. Nothing short of a world-spanning EMP will get rid of all the ROMs of Goldeneye, and even if it is I'm sure cartridges would still survive. But it's a perfect example of how rights about games can become a complicated snarl, and how something like that can take away the ability to readily and legally play classic, even historic, games. And you don't even have to explain why it's important to, because everyone knows Goldeneye.

The reason I'm so pissed about this is that I wanted to play the original Dark Orbit by Wildtangent a couple days ago. Awesome little space shooter. The game flatout does not exist anymore. I have a legal copy, but they took down the server that it used for DRM. There's one, singular :filez: version floating around, but it doesn't work on modern OS's. The game is dead.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

The biggest one I see goons complain about is PT which consists of walking down a hall that repeats while spooky sounds play. You can literally load up a video with no commentary and get the same effect.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Len posted:

The biggest one I see goons complain about is PT which consists of walking down a hall that repeats while spooky sounds play. You can literally load up a video with no commentary and get the same effect.
:goonsay:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

BrigadierSensible posted:

As a child I always thought "wop" was the American version of "wog", the Australian slur for Mediterranean people . Both of which I assumed were from olde-timey days and acronyms for Western Oriental Person/Gentleman. Never mind that Italy and Greece aren't in the western orient.

Come to think of it, there were a lot of slurs that I didn't understand that were used in other countries. As opposed to the simplicity and clarity of good honest Australian racism.

abbo=aboriginal, Lebbo=Lebanese person, curry muncher, (which I and my brother got)=because Indians eat curry etc.

Ahh, the simple days when you knew what you were being racially abused for.

I can 100% guarantee that the exact same people that called you a curry muncher would get mad if they were too late going for a butter chicken after getting drunk at the pub now.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
PT had to die so we could see the unadulterated, purestrain Genius Kojumbo that is Death Stranding.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Hey Len, please provide your standard post about goon opinions on RE7 and The Evil Within.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Hey Len, please provide your standard post about goon opinions on RE7 and The Evil Within.

I knew I forgot one the last few times I brought up bad goon opinions!

I forgot that The Evil Within was a lovely game because of the unkillable ghost that follows you through the entire game clipping through terrain and one hit killing you if it touches you.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Len posted:

I knew I forgot one the last few times I brought up bad goon opinions!

I forgot that The Evil Within was a lovely game because of the unkillable ghost that follows you through the entire game clipping through terrain and one hit killing you if it touches you.

Like goddamn clockwork.

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

https://twitter.com/MrPeanut/status/1292899441167540224?s=20

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

1stGear posted:

Like goddamn clockwork.

I mean I wasn't going to bring that up because it didn't have any connection to my current insane ramblings. But then you specifically asked for it so is it really clockwork?

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

i'm very upset that baby nut is still a thing somehow

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

StillFullyTerrible posted:

i'm very upset that baby nut is still a thing somehow

In all the hellscape of 2020 I forgot Baby Nut happened

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Karia posted:

Bryan Lee O'Malley's saltiness is probably more than cargo-cult fetishism.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The only good thing about Baby Nut is that it spawned the ominously prophetic tweet about it (Baby Nut) being the first thing you see at the start of an economic recession with a video of it walking towards the camera. It was tweeted literal hours before COVID-19 was given pandemic status.

I can't seem to find it anymore though :(

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

This site needs a swear jar for whenever a goon uses the the phrase cargo cult. Nobody outside of these forums uses it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Jar for every time a goon says “only goons do x” or “goons always x”

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Len posted:

Youtube exists though

Notably non-volatile video host youtube which absolutely never gets rid of videos at the whims of its weekly changing rules or bad operators claiming things they don't own

Also the game was good fun, it's not high art but it felt good, had great art and music and a good sense of humour about itself

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

grittyreboot posted:

This site needs a swear jar for whenever a goon uses the the phrase cargo cult. Nobody outside of these forums uses it.

Would you say that it's a hamfisted metaphor?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

grittyreboot posted:

Car no do that, car resistant to charismatic religious leaders.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/mrpeanutbaby/status/1292997869243445248?s=21

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Inceltown posted:

I can 100% guarantee that the exact same people that called you a curry muncher would get mad if they were too late going for a butter chicken after getting drunk at the pub now.

Racists who call small children and their dark skinned father rude names being hypocritical??

That's unpossible!

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/pussycigar/status/1292897824128897024

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

So they're gonna lean 100% into the "ironic scapegoat" angle huh?

Stunt_enby
Feb 6, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how many different terms will people invent in order to avoid accepting their autism, loving christ

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Stunt_enby posted:

how many different terms will people invent in order to avoid accepting their autism, loving christ

They'll continue to do it as long as "autistic" is used as a punchline or an insult.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Stunt_enby posted:

Autistic adult running autistic communities here and gonna respond to Stunt-enby seriously like you weren't being an asshat:

We think those people are annoying as gently caress. We run into them often. They're almost always 14-28 and well-off. Some grow out of it, but even those that do take a very long time. I took three years, although I was never dumb enough to try and pretend I was something unique or new like a "starseed."

This is also why lots of ASD folk refuse to let the "Aspergers" label die out even though the DSM-V (and soon the ICD-11) phased it out ages ago-- the stigma is that intense.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

:psyduck:

https://twitter.com/aniceburrito/status/1292573897695559681

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

God, I loving hate Twitter discourse slang. It's all the same few stock phrases and sentences feigning annoyance or surprise until the words lose all context.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Who’s going to die in a helicopter crash this time? :catstare:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

Who’s going to die in a helicopter crash this time? :catstare:

God I hope it's me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU