Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

Endorph posted:

diebuster is one of the best anime ever made

I'm mainly mad about it because I was way into Gunbuster's juxtaposition (thanks spellcheck) of a relatively hard sci-fi setting with magical giant robots (one of the little science lesson bonus segments explained they were able to transcend the speed of light by HARD WORK AND GUTS) and Diebuster just didn't follow up on that aspect of it at all.

That being said I guess Evangelion ticked the gently caress out of that particular box and maybe I should give Diebuster another shot now that I'm no longer 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

a cartoon duck posted:

can't wait for oda to say the author is actually a cool guy and he's accepted back into the industry with open arsm

Act-Age has only been running for two years so he has nowhere near the clout as Watsuki and thus is easier to throw aside.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

Stairmaster posted:

weird elitist flexing in this post

Didn't really mean it as a flex, just curious since my understanding is that a lot of anime is produced to boost manga sales. I know that DBZ has done just fine in the profits department, but I'm still curious about the manga attach rate.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Snackula posted:

I'm mainly mad about it because I was way into Gunbuster's juxtaposition (thanks spellcheck) of a relatively hard sci-fi setting with magical giant robots (one of the little science lesson bonus segments explained they were able to transcend the speed of light by HARD WORK AND GUTS) and Diebuster just didn't follow up on that aspect of it at all.

That being said I guess Evangelion ticked the gently caress out of that particular box and maybe I should give Diebuster another shot now that I'm no longer 17.
I think both busters are meant to serve as celebrations of Gainax at the time they were made; the original came out in the late 80's as one of the first things the studio ever did and between it, Nadia, Eva, and Wings of Honneamise fits their aesthetic and themes of the time. Put another way, it's a deep expression of Hideaki Anno's style. Diebuster on the other hand was post-FLCL, and as a result obviously is more expressive of Kazuya Tsurumaki. I think both are exceptionally complementary in this fashion and Diebuster being forced into the same mold as the original would have rung extremely hollow given the styles and creative output of the studio at the time.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i wish diebuster got half the weird adventure game adaptations gunbuster did

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

i wish diebuster got half the weird adventure game adaptations gunbuster did

i wish that game was translated. isn't that the one where you can save that guy noriko liked

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567 posted:

i wish that game was translated. isn't that the one where you can save that guy noriko liked

there's several, do you mean the one of the pc98, the one split into two volumes on the pc engine, or the one on the ps2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Snackula posted:

why would it follow up on that, gunbuster already exists. diebuster is a thing that explores some of the same themes from a different perspective and with a different vibe. its also gay, and doesnt have one of them get married to a guy 3x their age.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

there's several, do you mean the one of the pc98, the one split into two volumes on the pc engine, or the one on the ps2

the ps2 one

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ps2 one is funny to me cause it's made by the same company as the orphen ps2 game

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone kept up with Blue Hearts? It doesn't seem to have as much of a following as ReLife.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rewatching Run With The Wind.

I sorta forgot the amount of manass the show has per episode. :mmmhmm:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I'm putting all the gunbuster preferrers in the old fogey home for oldsters.

It's a foolproof test.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

For me I like diebuster more because its a really personal and emotional tale of friendship becoming romance and that's more impressive to me than relativistic physics.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The gunbuster cast I'm not as fond of and now that I know more anime its really hard for me to seperate gunbuster from all the pretty much straight adaptions from aim for the ace. I won't say its bad because its the foundation of the story and borrowing in art is cool, but I do think it weakens its identity.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like gunbuster as a piece of animation and a symbol of its era of gainax but diebuster definitely has much more to resonate with

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

impending drama (watching towas birthday stream now)

homeless snail posted:

Dramatic Monday @ 8pm eastern. In Amachan we have the exciting conclusion to week 16: "My Mom Has a History Part 2", Nigehaji bath house episode, and Ryomaden i think probably someone is gonna get stabbed in this one
https://cytu.be/r/okayletswatchdramas

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Wark Say posted:

Rewatching Run With The Wind.

I sorta forgot the amount of manass the show has per episode. :mmmhmm:

it's good

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Oh yeah, if it had actually finished airing on 2018, it would've beaten Zombie Land Saga, Gridman, Yuru-camp and... dang, I don't even remember the rest of my top 5 from that year. But yeah, it's loving rad.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

2018 was a really stacked year.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Best year in anime since I started watching seasonals mid-2016 and I don't think it's even a competition.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

No power for 7 hours now. Good thing I canceled my trip to the grocery store yesterday.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
goku dead, so what

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Best thing about 2018 is there were shows outside of my top 10 that would of been top 10 or top 5 most other years

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Best thing about 2018 is there were shows outside of my top 10 that would of been top 10 or top 5 most other years
It was like the anime equivalent of what 1997 was for mainstream music. Wild rear end ride, that 2018.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

It was like the anime equivalent of what 1997 was for mainstream music. Wild rear end ride, that 2018.

That moment when you didnt notice 90% of your favourite 90s albums came out in '97.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

Oh yeah, if it had actually finished airing on 2018, it would've beaten Zombie Land Saga, Gridman, Yuru-camp and... dang, I don't even remember the rest of my top 5 from that year. But yeah, it's loving rad.

Devilman, Asobi Asobase, SAO Alternative, Mitsuboshi Colours, Cells at Work, Free!, Emiya Gohan, Pop Team Epic, that Kaiji spinoff (I think? that's what it was), Megalobox, Bunny Girl Senpai, Bloom Into You, Hinamatsuri, and more.

Doesn't matter what you liked, 2018 had some solid showings for you.

I still haven't finished everything from 2018 I've wanted to watch.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wait, there’s a Colors anime? How was it? I like the manga a lot, but I would have thought its aimlessness would make it hard to adapt, like trying to make a Calvin and Hobbes cartoon.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Furnaceface posted:

That moment when you didnt notice 90% of your favourite 90s albums came out in '97.
Just off the top of my head for me:
  • Around the Fur
  • Portishead
  • Homogenic
  • Blur
  • Wu-Tang Forever
  • Dig Me Out
  • Homework
  • Dig Your Own Hole
  • OK Computer

I just don't remember my other two. I remember liking Yuru-Camp because it was C O M F as gently caress and Zombie Land Saga for getting me into idol anime. I liked Gridman for being this weird, fucky little mecha/toku show that was less about the deliberately janky mecha and more about exploring what makes a person tick.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/650933043090948117/742518632751300779/b31200f5b35ba93c18fcb030b07a3cdcc29b55ee.mp4

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Chi Chi's Southern twang in the dub is really starting to get to me.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
She should have done a British accent, imho

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Wark Say posted:

Just off the top of my head for me:
  • Around the Fur
  • Portishead
  • Homogenic
  • Blur
  • Wu-Tang Forever
  • Dig Me Out
  • Homework
  • Dig Your Own Hole
  • OK Computer

Ultra, City, Underdogs, Smile and Wave, The Color and the Shape, Cryptic Writings (I know I know, but I still loved this one)

96 wasnt exactly a light year either now that Im looking at it. What a great time it was to be a teenager. :v:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
So Goku's been running down a road for three episodes and Piccolo just blew up the Moon. I can see why people like this show.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

amachan gets better and better every week lmao, i'm way into asadoras now, i'm gonna watch all (the good) ones

spending the first 90 episodes building up the mystique of shiosai no memory, and repeatedly reinforcing how amazing this movie is and especially because of the incredible performance of hiromi suzuka on the title song, and also paralleled by the mystery of why aki's mom's idol career never took off in the 80s and why aki's isn't taking off in the 2000s... and then it all comes together when you realize hiromi suzuka was tone deaf and aki's mom was her voice double. the moment when her producer says the reason why she's not debuting is that management says her demo tape is too similar to suzuka's voice, its infuriating!!! i'm mad about fictional idols!!!

amachan week 16: "my mom has a history part 2", is one of the most powerful plot twists in dramatic history...

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kitty just walked up to my monitor and put her paw on hinata, got a good one here

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Wark Say posted:

I just don't remember my other two. I remember liking Yuru-Camp because it was C O M F as gently caress and Zombie Land Saga for getting me into idol anime. I liked Gridman for being this weird, fucky little mecha/toku show that was less about the deliberately janky mecha and more about exploring what makes a person tick.

Place Further than Universe airing the same season as Yuru-camp is hard to top but than Fall 2018 did it with Gridman, Zombie Land and Bloom into you

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Wait, with all the filler in these episodes DBZ isn't going to tell me who won the pennant game Yamcha was playing in? This is bullshit! WHO WON THE GAME?!?!?!

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://i.imgur.com/XUdQttw.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when i started watching the megami tengoku ova i expected a janky ova based on a pc engine video game nobody remembers, and not a janky ova based on a pc engine video game nobody remembers that is also kind of a legitimately funny, weird and kind of trippy action comedy directed by the person who directed the first project a-ko