Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Data Graham posted:

The American school would be called Thoughtsprayers

Just sprayin' them thoughts willy-nilly, the cute lil' bastards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Johnny Aztec posted:

Im amazed Rowling hasn't pumped out books set at the other schools.

in order to do that she would have needed to give them literally any thought other than "French school pretty girls" and "German school evil"

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Memento posted:

in order to do that she would have needed to give them literally any thought other than "French school pretty girls" and "German school evil"

Hell if she ever gets old and sells rights to write in the franchise someone will do that poo poo in a heartbeat.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I thought it was "German school beefy dudes"

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Did y'all forget this?

https://twitter.com/TerribleMaps/status/1234558864575602688

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Doesn't Europe have like 5 schools while Asia, and Africa have one each and the Americas have two?

e: beaten like a dead horse

FreudianSlippers has a new favorite as of 03:17 on Aug 11, 2020

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

bike tory posted:

There's German, Russian, and Bulgarian in there so I don't think it's supposed to be one specific Eastern European country only.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Italians, Greeks, and Afghans aren't fully magic, I guess.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

MizPiz posted:

Italians, Greeks, and Afghans aren't fully magic, I guess.

All their magic points went into spices.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Johnny Aztec posted:

Im amazed Rowling hasn't pumped out books set at the other schools.

My understanding is that Rowling did what every wealthy Boomer does: assume that her success is a result of amazing talent and hard work, and not just reasonable skill combined with amazing luck and connections.

Literally everything she's done after finishing Harry Potter has only shown that she wasn't all that great. She touched on the universe a bit afterwards, but I'm guessing she quickly found that she could only ever make it worse. To her credit somewhat I guess, she seems to have realized that she was the George Lucas of the Harry Potter universe earlier than George Lucas realized what he was to the Star Wars universe.

The more she does with Harry Potter, the faster that legacy falls apart. She's only lucky it built up so high before she finished it. Though given how feverishly she seems to be making GBS threads on trans people and turning away her fans, maybe she hasn't learned as much as I'm giving her credit for.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Ah yes, the well known BFFs of Asia: India, Pakistan, and China.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Did she actually name the African school Uagadou? Does that mean it's in Burkina Faso and they teach all their classes in French? Or maybe one of the hundreds of languages in West Africa?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I think we had this derail like a week ago. I’m sure we can all find something more mature and productive to argue about in the funny pictures thread, where people post funny pictures and other people come to look at the funny pictures and laugh.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

There's 1 school for the 2.5 billion people in India/China. I'm beginning to think the author of Harry Potter isn't the mega brain genius I thought she was.

But Japan gets its own loving school.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

The Maestro posted:

I think we had this derail like a week ago. I’m sure we can all find something more mature and productive to argue about in the funny pictures thread, where people post funny pictures and other people come to look at the funny pictures and laugh.

Agreed, if I can change, and you can change, everybody can change!

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Funky See Funky Do posted:

There's 1 school for the 2.5 billion people in India/China. I'm beginning to think the author of Harry Potter isn't the mega brain genius I thought she was.

It's even worse, that School #10 region is about 3.25 billion people, over 40% of the worlds population.

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
stop at my
staocto
ringpus

hell, :same:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Scholtz posted:

If Hogwarts was an American school?

Look at the station building just before the end of the second clip.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

bike tory posted:

"Durmstrang" is just a (meaningless) spoonerism.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

HPanda posted:

Literally everything she's done after finishing Harry Potter has only shown that she wasn't all that great. She touched on the universe a bit afterwards, but I'm guessing she quickly found that she could only ever make it worse. To her credit somewhat I guess, she seems to have realized that she was the George Lucas of the Harry Potter universe earlier than George Lucas realized what he was to the Star Wars universe.

Rowling deserves a little more credit than George, she managed to stick the landing with seven books and didn't start loving up till that stage play came out. George started screwing the pooch immediately after Empre released and never looked back since.

Her first work outside the Potter bubble was The Casual Vacancy; George's was Howard the Duck. Not even the same ballpark of bad here.

Once she got the ball rolling she started doing damage to her lore, just not at the same pace and level that Lucas did for, what, thirty goddamn years? That guy could write a book on how to murder a franchise.

But yeah, the hot takes on the trans community have really not helped her one bit!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
I will, to my dying breath, defend Howard the Duck. :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

hehehe, "maclunkey"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Japan and Korea :doh:

I can only imagine the classes with the kids holding lethal weapons.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Man wait until you hear about how resources are distributed in the real world

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

I didn't know people still cared about Harry Potter

Those movies were so drat bad

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Fartbox posted:

I didn't know people still cared about Harry Potter

Those movies were so drat bad

The first few were okay adaptations, the problem was the books got progressively longer and they had to start gutting them to fit a 2-hour-ish runtime.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Without the movies we wouldn't have been able to see Voldemort sending Ron a vision of Hermione and Harry getting their gently caress on.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The first few were okay adaptations, the problem was the books got progressively longer and they had to start gutting them to fit a 2-hour-ish runtime.

I feel like every other decade we get a creator with a runaway franchise success who manages to run it off a cliff.

Lucas - anything after EST

Rowling - post-Potter retconning

George R.R. Martin - drops the ball to complete a book saga so HBO ruins it for him with his blessing

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

And the name of the school is... Magic School.

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
"My wife is completely bone dry and she told me thats normal"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Parrotine posted:

I feel like every other decade we get a creator with a runaway franchise success who manages to run it off a cliff.

Lucas - anything after EST

Rowling - post-Potter retconning

George R.R. Martin - drops the ball to complete a book saga so HBO ruins it for him with his blessing

I do hear GRRM has among other issues tried so hard to subvert expectations that he's written himself into a corner because he has no idea what to do next and probably can't remember half the plot points by now

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
All I know is that the most recent book was a dog's breakfast and I'm not going to bother with the next one.

Of course, at nine and a half years ago, "recent" is doing an awful lot of heavy lifting in that last sentence.

https://i.imgur.com/RXUqAjK.mp4

"help me! I'm getting away!"

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/pokebeach_wpm/status/1292826107679399936?s=19

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

I can't stop giggling irl

in awe of this thick frog's horny energy

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Chard posted:

in awe of this thick frog's horny energy

Pretty sure that makes it a toad

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/RXUqAjK.mp4

"help me! I'm getting away!"

I'm so afraid for her. She definitely shouldn't be in the deep end flailing around like that. :ohdear:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Beachcomber posted:

I'm so afraid for her. She definitely shouldn't be in the deep end flailing around like that. :ohdear:

you see her bounce off the bottom

she's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do hear GRRM has among other issues tried so hard to subvert expectations that he's written himself into a corner because he has no idea what to do next and probably can't remember half the plot points by now

So tired of people trying to do this. "Oh no, the infinite monkeys on Reddit guessed the big gimmick, better throw everything into the trash and push out some random garbage."

The second season of Westworld is usually touted as a big example of this. But, given the third season, I'm not so sure any more.

If people have used what is in your books/show to extrapolate where it's going, that means you've done something right. So what if a few internet nerds get to crow about how they "called it"? 99% of your audience will have never heard of them and will enjoy what you're making.