Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Cardiovorax posted:

Unsurprisingly, being a slave to your own ability to hold the attentions of a fickle, faceless audience can be a bit of a drag. It helps when you're not being a moron about it, though. I've talked to a number of other professional streamers who really like their job.

I'm sure it'd be easier if he had put up a patreon lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Groovelord Neato posted:

I'm sure it'd be easier if he had put up a patreon lol

Something something work for it, despite that literally being a result of working for it. People would gladly give him actual dollars a month rather than the pennies (I assume?) he makes from just videos

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Marshall Dyer is a good genuine youtube let's player if people are looking for that. Not exclusively horror games or anything but they definitely have a decent presence in their back-catalogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQZlY5hBf8

/shill

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Len posted:

Something something work for it, despite that literally being a result of working for it. People would gladly give him actual dollars a month rather than the pennies (I assume?) he makes from just videos

Retro FPS youtuber civvie doesn't even have proper tiers and brings in 3700 a month:

https://www.patreon.com/civvie11

John Wolfe has just shy of three times as many subs as civvie

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I like to think of Patreon as a semi-voluntary subscription service more than as donations. I "voluntarily" pay in advance for content I like so that the content will keep being made. It's very beneficial for everyone involved.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Len posted:

Seriously. Refusing to put up a Patreon at this point is so bizarre and stupid that it's wacky. Tons of people much more professional than "Man who yells at video games" have used Patreon to fund their work.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I had a not totally dissimilar attitude toward starting a patreon until I got desperate enough to start one, and promptly realized I had been acting insane

everyone should have a patreon, even if you just shitpost, start a shitposting patreon you have nothing to lose. It's free money. Someone out there wants to give you money let them do it for god's sake, help them give you the money

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

From all I've ever heard, aside from pleasing the youtube megamind at different times, the "Put a hyuk whacky face in the thumbnail" is also presented as one of the tricks to getting extra views from the actual tiny babies and small children just mashing through content on an ipad, they're not gonna push "Neat Game - Part 1" with the tasteful thumbnail, but they'll go right for "BIGGEST SPOOKY YET KINDER MINECRAFT STEVE" with some distorted freak face being made without fail.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
He also plasters his face in the thumbnail because when he did tasteful thumbnails, people would steal them for their videos.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There’s also other weird AI pleasing thumbnail details like highlighting text, a big circle, and an arrow. It’s all incredibly dumb and intentionally opaque to please the advertisers without clueing in anyone who doesn’t rake in millions.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cardiovorax posted:

Making more individualized ones wouldn't help because nobody cares to begin with. It doesn't pull people in.

He addressed this in the middle of an unrelated video and basically said "oh yeah those thumbnails suck but if don't do them you guys don't click on my videos" so yes they pull people in, probably babies and idiots but views anyways.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

At some point someone noticed that wacky images and titles pulled more views. Now its gotten to the point where it feels mandatory and not doing it makes you lose out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Len posted:

The between his views and sponsorship, I would take a wild guess that he is making somewhere between $5k and $7k per month from YouTube plus whatever he gets from streaming.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Mindblast posted:

At some point someone noticed that wacky images and titles pulled more views. Now its gotten to the point where it feels mandatory and not doing it makes you lose out.

Netflix also put out an article saying that putting the stupid Dreamworks face on all of their thumbnails drove a lot of clicks

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

There's something inherently horrific about the manipulative and cynical mimicry of human emotional responses to drive clicks.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fallom posted:

Netflix also put out an article saying that putting the stupid Dreamworks face on all of their thumbnails drove a lot of clicks

Why?

Why do people like that...?

Clearly lots of people do, but why?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why?

If you have to ask, you'll never know :smug:

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
$5 to $7 sounds like a lot tbh

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Captain Hygiene posted:

If you have to ask, you'll never know :smug:

i'm clicking your smilie why isn't it taking me anywhere?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Why?

Probably the same as the wacky face thumbnail thing. The Dreamworks Face has been analyzed as being most appealing to kids (and people who never grew past that stage) as a way of showing a hero who's going to come off as cool and mildly edgy.

exquisite tea posted:

There's something inherently horrific about the manipulative and cynical mimicry of human emotional responses to drive clicks.

Welcome to the history of existence, my dude?

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Instead of pretending to be someone who needs help or something the future killer robots should just set click bait dreamworks face traps.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

There's a sinister horror ARG hidden somewhere in manipulating people to click through bullshit.

But analyzing my friend's 3yo daughter who has a tablet glued to her hands 24/7 just clicking on funny thumbnails is absolutely a thing. It's scary bad but gently caress a super nintendo could keep me quiet for 12 hours so I can't judge.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Oxxidation posted:

"do what you love and you'll never work a day in your life" is one of the vilest lies ever foisted on the younger generations

Helps if you actually choose a job that isn't playing terrible games for money. I love what I do and it doesn't really feel like a job a lot of the time, but I also don't have to appease the loving internet.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

It was originally "Do what you love -- and don't make it a lifestyle because separation from work and home is key to mental health -- and you'll never work a day in your life" but that doesn't flow as well.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?
^^^ Which is just as untrue (and vile) in practice, because companies attempt to insert themselves into their employees personal life every way they can, in an attempt to return to the days where they used to outright enslave people.

Knorth posted:

Marshall Dyer is a good genuine youtube let's player if people are looking for that. Not exclusively horror games or anything but they definitely have a decent presence in their back-catalogue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yQZlY5hBf8

/shill

I will vouch for Marshall Dyer; good commentary and perception without trampling all over the atmosphere, and a large catalogue of some not very well known or played games (The Painscreek Killings, for example). Lovely voice, too :3:

resurgam40 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Aug 11, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's such a wide spectrum of jobs that statements like that can absolutely be true for some people and not others. As well as the other half, which is very dependent on who/where you work for.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Tired Moritz posted:

$5 to $7 sounds like a lot tbh

It's gotta be pretty close. The usual minimum is $2 per thousand views for an established channel with those kind of subscriber numbers and I'm guessing because there are so many kids watching and every video fairly consistently cracks 150k in the initial month his deal is higher than that. Plus his videos have a long tail and he has at least a few really high earners that are going to get suggested forever. I would guess he gets around 2 million views across all videos every month which would at the very least put him at $4k, but probably higher. On top of that he has sponsorship and there's really no telling how much that would be but even at a ridiculously low $1 cpm that's still around $150 per sponsored video.

Manager Hoyden fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 11, 2020

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

ravenkult posted:

John just looks like a dude that's trapped between being terrified of changing anything lest the algorithm fucks him and being absolutely miserable doing what he's doing. His own branding is garbage, all his thumbnails are him making a dumb face and a close up of the monster of each game (hint: they all look like the same lovely unity asset) to the point where you don't know if you've seen the video already or not.

I remember him mentioning this - the reason his face is on all the thumbnails is because otherwise people would steal his thumbnails for use on their own videos.

e: beaten, of course

al-azad
May 28, 2009

https://twitter.com/thewebpro/status/1293520891859656704

Reflect saying Scrutinized isn't performing as well as projected and they're pivoting towards non-horror releases which explains the accessibility options patched into their game.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No lie, that's a weird thing to take from this. I think they just don't want to keep making the same thing over and over again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

al-azad read it the same way I did it's weird they seem to attribute the problem to horror games and not the specific type of game they made.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I thought horror games were generally pretty profitable because there's a low barrier to entry and people will pay 10bux for an hour of cheap thrills.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah that's entirely "poo poo we didn't make money".

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

They've done three games of it, smart to bring the knife down and just say no more for now and expand their catalogue into other things for a while. They can revisit the idea later to make it fresh again.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

I thought horror games were generally pretty profitable because there's a low barrier to entry and people will pay 10bux for an hour of cheap thrills.

I believe that is the case like with horror flicks. And like with horror flicks the gems are few and far between.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Aug 12, 2020

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

No lie, that's a weird thing to take from this. I think they just don't want to keep making the same thing over and over again.

https://twitter.com/thewebpro/status/1293207648872144899

Their take is that people prefer to watch their games and their conclusion is because their games are hard/scary. Horror games share a lot of DNA with narrative games so if the barrier to people playing them is fear then their argument is "why not make an adventure game?"

exquisite tea posted:

Maybe for cheap asset flips that barely launch but Reflect is basically one person with all original assets so if your full time job is releasing one game every other year I can imagine a lot of hand wringing when one does worse than all projections.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
This is probably a smart move. I confess I’m part of the problem and have only watched YouTube videos, but as far as I can tell the ‘dark web detective’ narrative stuff in those games is leaps and bounds more engaging and well crafted than the tedious plate spinning jump scare simulator they bolted onto it to make it more ‘gamey’. So if their takeaway is to stop doing the latter: good.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

King of Bleh posted:

This is probably a smart move. I confess I’m part of the problem and have only watched YouTube videos, but as far as I can tell the ‘dark web detective’ narrative stuff in those games is leaps and bounds more engaging and well crafted than the tedious plate spinning jump scare simulator they bolted onto it to make it more ‘gamey’. So if their takeaway is to stop doing the latter: good.

Yeah like I've said before I'd probably buy the games if it was just the web sleuthing stuff.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Yeah. I admit to that problem source - I love to wind down watching streams or youtubes of all the horror stuff I just don’t have the time/cash/care to play. It’s a fun shared experience. I wish there was a way to work around that. They could make a game with a lot of chat-controlled options, but that gimmick only goes so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Fallom posted:

I somehow dodged noticing the dreamworks face but now I can't stop noticing it so thanks?????