Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

greazeball posted:

Great White was busy

Nope, they play tomorrow: https://rallysturgis.com/concerts/great-white
Also, Bone Thugs n' Harmony is playing closing night, I don't know what to think of that, honestly. My co-worker and I have been checking out the webcams for masks. It's the number you expect - 0, with the occasional mask appearing once a day maybe?

No one's killed us yet in the Ohio Library I work at, but they sure don't keep the things on their noses either (including workers).

Oh god what a synpe
Meet you at the Crossroads: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMYAEHE2GrM
Ouch that's song's appropriate.

-m. fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

valves are still better than no mask and comparable to cloth masks from what i can tell because they direct the outflow of the air downwards, and heavier particles expelled tend to bump into the valve first and stick there because valves require air to take a 90° turn compared to the outflow from your mouth and heavier particles can't turn the corner quite as easily

that said, taping something over it or wrapping something around it shouldn't be that hard

Your nose holes are pointing down, just keep your mouth shut and you don't need a mask.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

-m. posted:

No one's killed us yet in the Ohio Library I work at, but they sure don't keep the things on their noses either (including workers).

Yeah, everyone at my work acts like it's some kind of joke at this point. Good loving job ohio

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS

Rutibex posted:

totalitarian regimes that can force the population to take a dodgy vaccine will be at an advantage. maybe 1% of the population will die, but the rest of the economy can open while the western world continues to disintegrate

should renamed themselves to Smash Lung

And here I thought 1% of the population dying was the outcome the vaccine was supposed to avoid...

-m.
Jul 2, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, everyone at my work acts like it's some kind of joke at this point. Good loving job ohio

The thing that gets me is the person who's mask "slips" the most was one of the most vocal who wanted everyone else to wear masks. And the first to call me when someone's not wearing it right. Well, neither are you, lady, get that back on your nose!

Also I read the Crossroads lyrics and now there's something in my eye and I'm going to work in 5, great.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Rutibex posted:

totalitarian regimes that can force the population to take a dodgy vaccine will be at an advantage. maybe 1% of the population will die, but the rest of the economy can open while the western world continues to disintegrate
Might also be desperation given how consistently russia hosed it up so far.

Guy Axlerod posted:

Your nose holes are pointing down, just keep your mouth shut and you don't need a mask.
by that logic i wouldn't need any cloth added because the exhalation hole of that mask already points down

-m. posted:

The thing that gets me is the person who's mask "slips" the most was one of the most vocal who wanted everyone else to wear masks. And the first to call me when someone's not wearing it right. Well, neither are you, lady, get that back on your nose!
in my experience that happens because the mask is ill-fitted. try telling her to tie rubber bands to the mask and connect them behind her head with a paper clip or key ring, or safety pin or similar

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

What they did to Boo was wrong.

CarlosTheDwarf
Jun 1, 2001
Up shit creek.

Zugzwang posted:

So, about half a million people coming from all over to congregate, and then returning home, probably with some stops along the way. :tif:

States should require 2 week quarantine for anyone that went there.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Respect, those guys are really leaning into their schtick

https://youtu.be/7DsiwBUgmwk

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
My island has been weathering the pandemic pretty well and there have been under 5 cases so far, all travel related, with the affected people self-quarantining. The tourist season only has about half a month left, and still no new cases since everyone is masking and keeping their distance. The number of US license plates was worrying, but I think we're in the clear as long as everyone keeps up the effort. We have a population of 13.4k, with a density of ~4.5/km so distancing isn't a problem, but the resorts and restaurants could be an ideal spreading point.

My 3 year old is scheduled to go to daycare tomorrow, and the program only has like five kids so far, but it's still a concern. My biggest worry is that people are going to get lazy during the last tourist rush and it's going to spread to the local population and when schools reopen in September it fans out from there. Schools are going to be operating "business as usual" style with Gr 4 and above wearing masks, but having ~25 kids to a poorly ventilated room means those masks are not going to be effective for long.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

greazeball posted:

Respect, those guys are really leaning into their schtick

https://youtu.be/7DsiwBUgmwk

Yeah, it’s impressive that they just want to try to beat their old high score

Not good, but impressive.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I can't wait for Trump to announce that his good friend Putin has agreed to let every American have his vaccine before anyone in Russia gets it. NO SIDE EFFECTS!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

if you think about it striking during the blitz is the perfect time to strike. what are they going to do, bring soldiers off the front line for strike breaking? bring in scabs? (sorry all the men are drafted!). nope, they need that ammo, so they will give the striking ammo factory workers whatever the hell they want

Churchill did actually try to send troops in to sort out striking miners when he was Home Secretary. Ironically the soldiers calmed stuff down by being considerably less lovely than the local police.

Unfortunately one thing they did do was use POW labour so we don't actually know how many people died at RAF Fauld or in any number of mining and industrial accidents in places that replaced strikers - or just people not willing to risk their lives - this way.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

rotinaj posted:

Last time I got paid, I decided to buy a new mask because I wanted something more stylish than what I have. I searched for the most popular men’s mask and wound up on gaiter listings, and got one that looked cool.

Now I’m hearing that gaiters are worse than useless. :negative: I just want something that will fit my big fuckin’ head

I've mentioned it before, but the Upper Playground masks have good patterns and fit my huge head

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

boar guy posted:

edit: we just did my daughter's 8th grade 'drive through registration' to find out her class schedule for telelearning

she got a piece of paper that says "log in to this URL Monday at 8:15".

they've got no loving plan. they had all summer and they spent it wishing and buying sanitizer

It’s like something out of Brazil!

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Mithaldu posted:

valves are still better than no mask and comparable to cloth masks from what i can tell because they direct the outflow of the air downwards, and heavier particles expelled tend to bump into the valve first and stick there because valves require air to take a 90° turn compared to the outflow from your mouth and heavier particles can't turn the corner quite as easily

that said, taping something over it or wrapping something around it shouldn't be that hard

Good to know, thanks.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

I read an article about criticism of the Smish Mosh show, and the band's agent or whoever kept emphasizing how many steps were taken to ensure cleanliness and social distancing...on stage and backstage. Lol, glad Mr. Mouth is safe, nevermind all the people packed together in the crowd, singing "THE WORLD IS GONNA ROLL ME," maskless.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
lovely anytime a country starts to talk about 100+ days of no new cases they get new cases

https://time.com/5872578/vietnam-coronavirus-100-days/

you're a dick coronavirus

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

zer0spunk posted:

lovely anytime a country starts to talk about 100+ days of no new cases they get new cases

https://time.com/5872578/vietnam-coronavirus-100-days/

you're a dick coronavirus

corona-chan has evolved a 30 day incubation period stealth mode

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Is there some kind of old latin word for the complete opposite of surprised?

Local douchebag band acts like spoiled narcissistic brats, who woulda thunk it

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

in what way is smash mouth a “local band” lol

they’re pretty famously from over a thousand miles away from sturgis

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rutibex posted:

corona-chan has evolved a 30 day incubation period stealth mode

Corona-Chan has stolen some DNA from herpes

naem
May 29, 2011

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

food court bailiff posted:

in what way is smash mouth a “local band” lol

they’re pretty famously from over a thousand miles away from sturgis

Local in the sense that they are cheap and lovely.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It's like telling your replacement that the NOC has been quiet today.

Don't be the guy who says that thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

coronavirus posted:

Local in the sense that they are cheap and lovely.

the word you are looking for is 'has-been', or perhaps 'washed-up'

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Someone replace the microphone with a vape cloud and this would be the perfect fit for the sturgis target audience.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

gently caress, same.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Everyone's talking about Sturgis so I decided to look up the exact location of that clearly-east-coast shithole. Nope lol it's more or less in the middle of the USA and maybe actually closer to the west coast. gently caress!

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

Schadenboner posted:

Don't be the guy who says that thing.

Sigs off in GBS.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Tafferling posted:

Well, that's what we did in Italy as the alternative was a 10% death rate before the push for anticoagulants treatment.

Better a bad schooling experience than death, to be sure. How are things going these days?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

redreader posted:

Everyone's talking about Sturgis so I decided to look up the exact location of that clearly-east-coast shithole. Nope lol it's more or less in the middle of the USA and maybe actually closer to the west coast. gently caress!

There is a reason it's in the state where the governor said that face masks are bullshit, and the whole thing is a hoax anyway.

CarlosTheDwarf posted:

Even if it was required federally, it would never be enforced. The people that would quarantine themselves without being forced to at gunpoint wouldn't be going to Sturgis in the first place.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

the washington post posted this study, and everyone involved appears to have extrapolated exactly the wrong conclusion from it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/mask-test-duke-covid/2020/08/10/4f2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

the study itself was designed to verify a cheap and fast mask testing method: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083/tab-pdf

the study barely does any analysis of the mask test results themselves, and is 99% about the tech. it implies a defect in the material of gaiters, which the WP picks up as the real issue, without either party understanding what the real issue is.

which is, in short:

masks that press against your lips fail to brake air flow. the expelled air has no way to go but forwards and is forced through.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Gaiters are usually knits, which are much less effective at preventing droplet transmission according to older influenza studies, so it wouldn't surprise me if any individual study found gaiters to be ineffective. Some people tried to dismiss the results of this most recent study but we shouldn't be too hasty to dismiss observations just because they're not the focus of the study

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

Gaiters are usually knits, which are much less effective at preventing droplet transmission according to older influenza studies, so it wouldn't surprise me if any individual study found gaiters to be ineffective. Some people tried to dismiss the results of this most recent study but we shouldn't be too hasty to dismiss observations just because they're not the focus of the study
the gaiter in the study is fleece. is fleece knit? sorry, english isn't my first language, and i'm not familiar with cloth types indepth.

fwiw, dismissing them would be wrong, yeah. i just want the results to be interpreted correctly and explain correctly why different masks suck.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

unrelated, a friend asked me why all-causes deaths are down in the summer and i found this graph from april

https://www.businessinsider.com/chart-us-weekly-coronavirus-deaths-compared-heart-disease-cancer-flu-2020-4

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Aug 11, 2020

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1293256841296842759

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

good

edit: can't wait to see how people justify youth sports this fall where nothing's at stake now that the big 10, with billions at stake, has cancelled football

boar guy fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 11, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Now the chuds riot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mithaldu posted:

the washington post posted this study, and everyone involved appears to have extrapolated exactly the wrong conclusion from it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/wellness/mask-test-duke-covid/2020/08/10/4f2bb888-db18-11ea-b205-ff838e15a9a6_story.html

the study itself was designed to verify a cheap and fast mask testing method: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/08/07/sciadv.abd3083/tab-pdf

the study barely does any analysis of the mask test results themselves, and is 99% about the tech. it implies a defect in the material of gaiters, which the WP picks up as the real issue, without either party understanding what the real issue is.

which is, in short:

masks that press against your lips fail to brake air flow. the expelled air has no way to go but forwards and is forced through.

Surely air is forced through all face masks, otherwise you'd die? I thought the actual problem was that lycra and similar materials, which these tend to be made from, is at a bad sweet spot in terms of weave size where it both forces you to breathe more heavily but doesn't actually slow the exhaled droplets much, so you're actually spreading your diseases further than you would with no mask at all?

I'll be a bit pissed off if this is actually the case (but would be interested to see results for ones that are doubled-over with an air gap between) because I've got a ton of them (they tend to give them away free at motorbike shows) that I've been using because they're more comfortable and *feel* more effective (in that there's a lot less noticeable escape from them than from the disposable masks), and I don't like the idea I've actually been making stuff worse.