Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

Have you... tried

Not really. I could try to make a cabbage roll I guess, just roll the carrots and onions in the cabbage leaf and into the oven instead of frying it. Doesn't sound very good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

excellent bird guy posted:

Not really. I could try to make a cabbage roll I guess, just roll the carrots and onions in the cabbage leaf and into the oven instead of frying it. Doesn't sound very good though.

i would like to see some progress/step by step pics on your next cook that results in illness please

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

How Wonderful! posted:

Here are some tofu cutlets and roasted green beans. I spent a little time with the spice grinder earlier this week making this and that, so I wanted to try out a different blend of things to season the tofu with-- mostly a mix of ground chiles de arbol and guajillos and white pepper. It was all kind of a moot point because I also decided to make a really basic little pomegranate bbq glaze so it's not like I could taste most of the rub to begin with-- it was a pretty nice level of smokey and spicy though. The coleslaw was just leftovers and the hot sauce was Queen Majesty's scotch bonnet and ginger.

I’ve done a lot with tofu but never made cutlets. I think I’ll try making something like this soon.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Step 1: look up cool recipe
Step 2: write down a shopping list and go buy the things for said recipe
Step 3: cook said recipe. follow the loving measurements.
Step 4: enjoy food that doesn't make you ill

Jeffrey Dahmer
May 21, 2017

by Pragmatica
Muldoon
oh my god just let the guy die already

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Jeffrey Dahmer posted:

oh my god just let the guy die already

Username and post combo definitely does not check out.

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012
I'm enjoying the more "rustic" photos. I can't plate for poo poo so this thread can be intimidating when everyone's plating up their grilled cheese like they're serving it to the Queen.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

Step 1: look up cool recipe
Step 2: write down a shopping list and go buy the things for said recipe
Step 3: cook said recipe. follow the loving measurements.
Step 4: enjoy food that doesn't make you ill

I don't have interest in recipes generally. I want to be creative and unique. There are I think general concepts to follow. I heard from a Sikh cook to never use dry spices. So, thus all my spices go in a little oil to release the flavor. I heard of the holy trinity, which is Onions, Carrots, Celery, thus I used the holy trinity for about a year and is my major fallback. So I pick 3 spices, and 3 vegetables with an oil. This is I think a foundation to master before moving on. But, tonight I will try to instead of a stove top to use an oven. I may have been getting sick a few times by over doing the oil and using more than 3 spices.
Also the grocery stores don't stay open 24hours here so they are always closed by the time I'm awake. Unless I go at 6am I just don't get around to it.

Butternubs posted:

I'm enjoying the more "rustic" photos. I can't plate for poo poo so this thread can be intimidating when everyone's plating up their grilled cheese like they're serving it to the Queen.

They are inspiring. I love it.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

You know what, I'm just gonna stop and say I'm happy you're at least eating your vegetables.

Drone fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Aug 11, 2020

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Butternubs posted:

Practice makes better. Posting in this thread for a while has improved my plating/picture abilities somewhat.

But speaking of horrible plating.... here’s last night’s vegetable curry with soy-ginger tempeh:

Something about it is just unsettling to me. I just suck at plating curry. At the last moment I decided to throw some crushed peanuts on and then realized they were barely crushed :thumbsup:

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
don't be too hard on yourself, that looks delicious to me

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Tieban tofu, green bean/eggplant stir fry, and a gimlet. I'm still a baby cook, so I get excited when I cook something I think comes out really good. This was really good.

Halibut with a kale and mushroom salad.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

I don't have interest in recipes generally. I want to be creative and unique. There are I think general concepts to follow. I heard from a Sikh cook to never use dry spices. So, thus all my spices go in a little oil to release the flavor. I heard of the holy trinity, which is Onions, Carrots, Celery, thus I used the holy trinity for about a year and is my major fallback. So I pick 3 spices, and 3 vegetables with an oil. This is I think a foundation to master before moving on. But, tonight I will try to instead of a stove top to use an oven. I may have been getting sick a few times by over doing the oil and using more than 3 spices.
Also the grocery stores don't stay open 24hours here so they are always closed by the time I'm awake. Unless I go at 6am I just don't get around to it.

So you want to know how to cook but you don't want to learn. Incredible.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I know it may have sounded just like me trying to get lols out of your cooking, but I do think you should actually post one of these full cooks start to finish w/ progress pics (or video if you were comfortable with that). I think people would sincerely try to help :unsmith:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

I know it may have sounded just like me trying to get lols out of your cooking, but I do think you should actually post one of these full cooks start to finish w/ progress pics (or video if you were comfortable with that). I think people would sincerely try to help :unsmith:

I am also incredibly curious.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that

Onions, carrots, and celery is a type of aromatic combo usually known as a mirepoix.
Onions, bell peppers, and celery are called the 'holy trinity' in cajun/creole cooking.

For a fried rice type thing like what you might have been going for in your pic you could also try a generic "asian" base of garlic, chili, and ginger. Throw some egg and fish sauce and pea pods or whatever in there. There's plenty you can do with rice and a frying pan. Leftover rice fries better than freshly made rice, btw.

It is smart to bloom spices/aromatics in fat because it flavors the fat and can change the character of the flavors. Never say "never," though.

I would recommend learning to competently roast a whole chicken if that's something you havent practiced.
And maybe your oil is rancid if it's making you nauseous. Who knows.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Chinese trinity is garlic, scallion and ginger. But Chinese cuisine is a big umbrella. Sichuan cooking often adds three different varieties of chili peppers to the base for a given dish.

Karia
Mar 27, 2013

Self-portrait, Snake on a Plane
Oil painting, c. 1482-1484
Leonardo DaVinci (1452-1591)

Try this cookbook. It seems to match your style: explain a basic concept and then experiment with variations, rather than just follow recipes verbatim. Really good book, I think you'd like it.
amazon.com/Improvisational-Cook-Sally-Schneider/dp/0062025368

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Karia posted:

Try this cookbook. It seems to match your style: explain a basic concept and then experiment with variations, rather than just follow recipes verbatim. Really good book, I think you'd like it.

In this vein the flavor bible is also good

https://www.amazon.ca/Flavor-Bible-Essential-Creativity-Imaginative/dp/0316118400

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

I had a small victory this week so I decided to splurge a bit and went to the butcher for a steak. Got a 2 lb bone in cowyboy ribeye.

Which I plated up with some fries and homemade sourdough with some Chimichurri on the side.

No matter how long I rest my steaks they always leak like that.

Next time try not cutting the entire steak at once for the 'gram.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Made this seed and nut "bread" and some pumpkin soup.

Didn't have a big enough mixing bowl for the bread (because I decided to double the quantities) and it didn't really fit in the tin either. Still worked though!

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Karia posted:

Thanks :) I'm really just being me and saying how I feel but it's a little embarressing some of the responses I get here lol. So here is step by step pizza;

I know I prefer to use coconut flour even though the recipe called for Almond. I am okay if it didn't turn out quite so crisp as it may have. I just need to keep trying to find what went wrong.
Other than that, the pizza was good! Turned into a casserole by stirring it up, and it tasted fine, had lots of food. Very good tasting, low carb, healthy pizza.

Jato
Dec 21, 2009

We've been living in an apartment with a really dark lovely kitchen for the last 6 months and the whole time we were there I had zero motivation to cook. Last week we moved to a new, brighter, much more pleasant apartment, so cooking is actually fun again! Here's a couple meals from the last week - one day I'd really like to learn to plate and photograph my food properly.

I've been cooking steaks sous vide for many years, and embarassingly never learned to properly pan sear a steak, so I tried for the first time the other night. Mostly followed the direction of Kenji from one of his (wonderful new) youtube videos. Seasoned two ribeyes and let them sit in the fridge for two days, and then seared them in oil/finished with a basting of butter. Overcooked them for my taste but they were still pretty good, I'll do better next time. Alongside some oven roasted new potatoes/leeks and a nice walnut/pear salad the girlfriend made. I probably should've taken a nice picture before I put ugly slabs of butter all over it.

This one is sous vide chicken breast, pan seared, and topped with a lemon/basil/sundried tomato/butter sauce and some goat cheese (copycat of a menu item I used to eat at Carraba's) alongside some pasta and....asparabroccoli as the packaging called it, but I think it's basically brocollini?

And then this morning's breakfast - scrambled eggs, bacon, and the leftover potatoes from the steak crisped back up in some bacon fat. We joined a wholesale restaurant supply place similar to CostCo last week and it's the first place I've been able to find good thick-cut American style bacon here, I missed it dearly.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

So here is step by step pizza;

Jesus wept.

Okay, legitposting:
Can you give a little one-sentence blurb on the progression here with each image, because I find it somewhat hard to follow.

Drone fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Aug 12, 2020

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Drone posted:

Jesus wept.

Okay, legitposting:
Can you give a little one-sentence blurb on the progression here with each image, because I find it somewhat hard to follow.

I tried really hard and followed the directions with a few concessions.
1) Cheddar and creamcheese. (asked for Moz but whatever)
2) Microwave and mix. -This is really good! a fine snack
3) Frying some 'country' pork shoulders
4) Egg, cheese/creamcheese, I'm trying to stir it. It's so clumpy what the heck I was worried.
5) Spices: tumeric pepper garlic and ginger
6) I was going to roll the powder out, dumped it on some foil
7) rolled
8) Heres my pan with the lard oil in it good for making pizza
9) My roommate had a friend over and she tried to help me, she put it in the pan and pushed it out for me
10) The crust is out of the oven, so i put the toppings on it
11) :cheers:

Thoughts and impressions: I substituted coconut flour from almond flour. So I am working on a handicap. I used some directions I found online that said 375 at 10 minutes (for coconut powder), then again for 10 with toppings. It all fell apart, but tasted just fine. :ninja:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Gonna post a step-by-step pizza that's just Iranian pilaf and then the last image is a Pizza Hut pizza.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I tried really hard and followed the directions with a few concessions.
1) Cheddar and creamcheese. (asked for Moz but whatever)
2) Microwave and mix. -This is really good! a fine snack
3) Frying some 'country' pork shoulders
4) Egg, cheese/creamcheese, I'm trying to stir it. It's so clumpy what the heck I was worried.
5) Spices: tumeric pepper garlic and ginger
6) I was going to roll the powder out, dumped it on some foil
7) rolled
8) Heres my pan with the lard oil in it good for making pizza
9) My roommate had a friend over and she tried to help me, she put it in the pan and pushed it out for me
10) The crust is out of the oven, so i put the toppings on it
11) :cheers:

Thoughts and impressions: I substituted coconut flour from almond flour. So I am working on a handicap. I used some directions I found online that said 375 at 10 minutes (for coconut powder), then again for 10 with toppings. It all fell apart, but tasted just fine. :ninja:

This seems like a gluten-free take on some kind of Indian version of pizza or something.

I’ve made a lot of gluten-free pizzas and they can be delicious, but a crust like that will never support the weight of all those toppings.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

atothesquiz posted:

Next time try not cutting the entire steak at once for the 'gram.

Well both books I have that talk about reverse searing a big, bone-in, steak like this both included the “carve from bone” step at the end so i thought I’d try it.

But god forbid a goon pass up a chance to make a snide comment for no reason.

excellent bird guy
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Arglebargle III posted:

that's just Iranian pilaf

Nice, I have watched/read enough Dragonball to know what Pilaf is and that its exactly what I want to eat :amen:

Butternubs
Feb 15, 2012

So here is step by step pizza;

Post this in the pizza thread.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Has meat and spices, so should go in the chili thread too.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Doom Rooster posted:

Has meat and spices, so should go in the chili thread too.

No beans, so it doesn’t belong.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nice, I have watched/read enough Dragonball to know what Pilaf is and that its exactly what I want to eat :amen:

You wanted to eat a tiny blue gremlin? Just wanted to clarify. I'd try your Hot P at the very least, it's fascinating.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
you should make a whole thread and post more of these, excellent bird guy. i don't know what i was expecting but it was not a cream cheese and coconut flour pizza base with pork chops. hell i'd eat it probably

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

CaptainCrunch posted:

Well both books I have that talk about reverse searing a big, bone-in, steak like this both included the “carve from bone” step at the end so i thought I’d try it.

But god forbid a goon pass up a chance to make a snide comment for no reason.

Carve from the bone is significantly different then cutting it to bite size pieces.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

TheAardvark posted:

you should make a whole thread and post more of these, excellent bird guy. i don't know what i was expecting but it was not a cream cheese and coconut flour pizza base with pork chops. hell i'd eat it probably

bird guy, do have have celiac disease or are otherwise gluten sensitive? why are you eating coconut flour?

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

nice to see drew toothpaste back on the forums. M R CRACKER and I Like Frosties were good accounts :3:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Dinner tonight was chicken-fried chicken, fried pickled okra with some whole garlic cloves thrown in for variety, and rice with nuoc cham. I was out of milk so no cream gravy this time around, but some local hot sauce worked just fine. Despite the weird cut, the chicken is just one breast, halved. Oil was a little hot and I was using a pan so some spots came out dark, but it was still great.

God, I love okra. I pickled some the other week and it is excellent straight out of the jar too.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I dont know much about playing or taking attractive pictures but this was delicious. Wife requested homemade meatballs.

Home grown tomatoes, basil and oregano for my homemade sauce. Simmered the meatballs for an hour. Pasta is just some whole wheat Barilla. Not a fancy meal but a lot of effort went into it and it really tasted like it. Between this and zucchini bread (and all of the resulting dishes) I think I've spent four hours in the kitchen today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Post your lunch?

Better than chik-fil-a and available on Sunday.