Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Do wonder what you'd think of the postgame version that turns it into Halloween.

Playing that as a kid is kinda wild, you start out in the tiny little island area then climb up on top of a massive hill and get a preview of the massive overworld. Not a lot of games even try to give you a sense of wonder like that.

i totally love smw and its probably the best one but the graphics arent that great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Bowser's Inside Story was great, mostly for being basically Super Bowser RPG, and they should make another one. Bowser actually works pretty well as a protagonist.

Shibawanko posted:

i totally love smw and its probably the best one but the graphics arent that great

Yeah, while I may be skewed because I'm used to the Super Mario All-Stars versions of the originals, but I like SMB3's weird blocks and woodcraft style more, and also all of SMW's level themes being remixes of the same tune gets a bit old.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Stunt_enby posted:

actually the human eye cant see past 24 fps

That's why you have two. 48 fps is the sweetspot.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Caesar Saladin posted:

go play an mmo or a moba or whatever you lameass pc gamers are playing nowadays

edit: thought i was in another thread at first

Isn't Smite on a bunch of consoles?

e: lol yup and a bunch of other mobas are too

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019
learning what iframes entail for gameplay ruined character action games for me.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

maybe its because im a whippersnapper who didnt play the games back when they released but i find Super Mario Bros 3 very difficult. i was trying to play it recently and i could not get past the early levels of world 2

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i just finished it, world 8 is awful, i saved all my p wings to get past some of that bullshit

i said it was easy back there but thats not fair no, its easy in some parts, i dont think world 2 is very difficult personally but some bits there are annoying. the real bullshit is in world 6 7 and 8 though, i guess its appropriate but i dont like how it kind of kills the flow of the game. world 5 is best with the goomba shoe and simple straightforward platforming with no mazes or autoscrolling, whole game shouldve been like that

Doctor J Off
Dec 28, 2005

There Is
IMO they should have shelled out to bring back Tim Curry for Gabriel Knight 2. Sure, it would have been hard for an FMV game, but GK2 was already the best in the series without Tim Curry - just a missed opportunity by Sierra On-Line

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

cargohills posted:

maybe its because im a whippersnapper who didnt play the games back when they released but i find Super Mario Bros 3 very difficult. i was trying to play it recently and i could not get past the early levels of world 2

I tried it again on 3DSEN (which is pretty cool) and I suck at it. And it was the biggest deal going when I was 10, and I probably played it for several hundred hours as a kid. Mario feels really... dense? Momentous? It's not unreasonably hard for the era but it feels pretty hard to me now.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Here's a crazy opinion:

PS2 wasn't that great.

It's hitting it's 20th anniversary, so I see articles everywhere about the "best console of all time" and poo poo like that.

I never had one, but pretty much always lived with someone who did through most of 2001-2008, and I think I can name like five games I ever played on it?

SSX Tricky
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
Uhh...I would sometimes play Tekken but sucked at it.
And same for Gran Turismo.

I know it has a GIANT game library, but I don't like JRPGs, sports games (with rare exceptions...like SSX), or racing games, and I swear all of the lists of best games for it are 90% one of those three categories, with, like, Dynasty Warriors 2 thrown in.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

ssx tricky was better on the gamecube anyway

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

DrBouvenstein posted:

Here's a crazy opinion:

PS2 wasn't that great.

It's hitting it's 20th anniversary, so I see articles everywhere about the "best console of all time" and poo poo like that.

I never had one, but pretty much always lived with someone who did through most of 2001-2008, and I think I can name like five games I ever played on it?

SSX Tricky
GTA 3
GTA Vice City
Uhh...I would sometimes play Tekken but sucked at it.
And same for Gran Turismo.

I know it has a GIANT game library, but I don't like JRPGs, sports games (with rare exceptions...like SSX), or racing games, and I swear all of the lists of best games for it are 90% one of those three categories, with, like, Dynasty Warriors 2 thrown in.

agree but katamari damacy is a great game. i dont see a lot else that was on there that was both very good and exclusive to it. i think its reputation is mostly boosted by people who can tolerate post-snes jrpgs, beat em up fans and just the large amount of games released on it

meanwhile xbox had the halo games, ninja gaiden was a better version of god of war, jsrf is still exclusive to the xbox and it also had some weird stuff like steel battalion. at least you could say that the xbox and ps2 were pretty close in terms of the quality of the games. its nowhere near the best console because thats obviously the snes

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

My apparently unpopular opinion is that it's really really dumb to judge a console based on how many good exclusives it has.

"Oh you think that console is good? I bet you didn't know you can play every good game released on it if you also own an xbox, gamecube, and gaming PC :smuggo:"

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard

DrBouvenstein posted:

Here's a crazy opinion:

PS2 wasn't that great.

The PS2 library is so stacked games that would be on every top 10 list for any other system are obscure deep cuts on PS2. It's notably weak in FPS and Western RPGs (which both tended to end up on Xbox) and party games (because only 2 controller ports) but that's kind of it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

everybody always mentions okami but when i look at a longplay of that game, and just click on a bunch of random timestamps, most of the time theres a dialogue box on screen or some kind of cutscene or tutorial. when i finally find an action segment with the actual game going on it looks like just another 3rd person action adventure except you draw stuff on screen

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
ps2 had the only good controller in its generation

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

the duke controller was for the xbox though?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
PS2 was so long ago it being a DVD player was a selling point lol

one of the reasons I got it tbh

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Playing games at 120+ fps on a screen that supports it sucks because it just looks like a smooth 60fps. Like you expect some big new experience but there's almost no difference.

But from then on if you look at a game running at 60fps it looks choppy. It's like it just demotes every tier of fps down one.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Manager Hoyden posted:

Playing games at 120+ fps on a screen that supports it sucks because it just looks like a smooth 60fps. Like you expect some big new experience but there's almost no difference.

But from then on if you look at a game running at 60fps it looks choppy. It's like it just demotes every tier of fps down one.

This is every incremental graphics upgrade. Nobody needed things like ambient occlusion, volumetric lighting, or cloth simulation but turning these things back off makes a game look like poo poo once you're used to seeing them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shibawanko posted:

SMB3 had the best sprite graphics of a mario game. just good clean fun patterns and blocks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Manager Hoyden posted:

on the other hand, there's basically no difference between 30 fps and 60 fps already so who cares. 60fps is a little whacky, but 120 fps is the gold plated monster cable of frame rates

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

lurker2006 posted:

learning what iframes entail for gameplay ruined character action games for me.

i say go ham and make your i-frames as obvious as an nes game. nathan drake blinking between 0 and 100% alpha on a 0,0,0 color shader every time you dodge roll

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
The thing I've noticed about high frame rates is that it's really only "supported" by games in the last few years and even then only useful by fps games like nuDoom and Wolfenstein. Like, playing a lot of games it doesn't make any difference at all since animations and physics and poo poo are running at 60fps regardless of what your gpu is pumping out. And apparently most games used to tie a ton of game code to the assumption of 60fps and just flat out break if you go higher, some don't support doing so at all.

site fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Aug 11, 2020

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

site posted:

The thing I've noticed about high frame rates is that it's really only "supported" by games in the last few years and even then only useful by fps games like nuDoom and Wolfenstein. And apparently most games used to tie a ton of game code to the assumption of 60fps and just flat out break if you go higher, some don't support doing so at all.

it depends on how it's programmed. some games split out the logic and the draw calls into separate categories, and this is definitely more common today now than it was when you had to do wildly creative hacks to make your game run on a 120mhz processor. when you do this, your math, your physics, all the important poo poo that makes your game run normally, will always occur exactly 60 times per second, and the game will draw frames as frequently as your gpu/cpu allows for it, though anything above 60 might not necessarily convey meaningful gameplay information because the actual logic is being crunched at on different clock.

alternatively you can tie your logic to your draw calls and then if you drop frames your player will fall through the floor, clip through the walls, etc etc

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

site posted:

The thing I've noticed about high frame rates is that it's really only "supported" by games in the last few years and even then only useful by fps games like nuDoom and Wolfenstein. And apparently most games used to tie a ton of game code to the assumption of 60fps and just flat out break if you go higher, some don't support doing so at all.

Where have you noticed that and how?
3D games have long ago established 60+ FPS as actually good and tons of games don't mind going beyond or appreciate it. Last generation console ports were really bad in that regard, hung on bad systems and bad TV standards, but since the current gen consoles are much closer to actual PCs this bullshit has gladly vanished and a lot of games are just alright with eye friendly rendering.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

haldolium posted:

Where have you noticed that and how?
3D games have long ago established 60+ FPS as actually good and tons of games don't mind going beyond or appreciate it. Last generation console ports were really bad in that regard, hung on bad systems and bad TV standards, but since the current gen consoles are much closer to actual PCs this bullshit has gladly vanished and a lot of games are just alright with eye friendly rendering.

My quick and dirty standing in the grocery store line list would be

Ue1/goldsrc breaks and/or needs hacks but doesn't make any difference at all when playing

Ue2/q3 works in most games, some need hacks, ue2 has some games that don't go over 100fps no matter what, has no noticable effect at all

Ue3 and contemporary engines gets tied to 60 because console and physics breaks can happen, some games are fine and do feel smoother

Today's engines which seem pretty good

site fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

The analogue face buttons were a nightmare for a lot of games. Especially driving.

I’d say the PS2 had the worst controller of its generation. The Xbox controller worked really well, and if you have giant shovel hands like I do it was even better. The GameCube controller was also excellent, the shape of the whole thing and the differently shaped buttons made everything feel really natural. I can’t remember a time where I had a brain fart with that thing and hit the wrong button or backed out of a menu I meant to confirm something in.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i never hated or loved the gamecube controller. the fact that it wasnt hated is probably because the gamecube games werent very demanding in the first place, there were hardly any games that called for a dpad or twin sticks. it worked but it was also kind of dumb at the same time and id never use it for anything other than a gamecube game

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I really liked the original xbox controller. I even miss those little black and white buttons that were perfect for dumb little functions like the light in Halo.

The gamecube controller layout was fine but the analog sticks and shoulder buttons felt extremely cheap and lovely.

I think there's really something to the playstation controllers design though because it's been relatively unchanged since the first dualshock and people still love it.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

As an alien with 3 hands, the n64 gamepad is the only human gamepad which isn't an outright insult to my people and our proud gaming culture

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the 8bitdo snes controller with twin sticks is the ultimate, final controller although mine has a broken usb port so i wish they were built a bit better

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

poverty goat posted:

As an alien with 3 hands, the n64 gamepad is the only human gamepad which isn't an outright insult to my people and our proud gaming culture

Alien gamers rise up.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PinheadSlim posted:

I really liked the original xbox controller. I even miss those little black and white buttons that were perfect for dumb little functions like the light in Halo.

The gamecube controller layout was fine but the analog sticks and shoulder buttons felt extremely cheap and lovely.

I think there's really something to the playstation controllers design though because it's been relatively unchanged since the first dualshock and people still love it.

The DualShock is weird because it’s a good controller design that they keep welding dumb poo poo to. 2 had the analog face buttons, 3 had the motion sensor that like three games used and felt like a remnant from the six axis controller push Sony did at launch, and 4 has the touchscreen that most of the time is just there to kill your battery. The motion detection stuff started at least getting some use with the PS4 but it felt totally useless on the PS3 outside of Heavy Rain and whatever dragon game it was that killed the studio that made Rogue Squadron.

The DS3 also had those dumb convex sticks that feel like they were made for your thumbs to slide off of.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Tbh I wasn't a fan of the GC controller's nub of a c stick and the fact that the z button was this tiny little blade and there was no corresponding l button

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The analogue face buttons were a nightmare for a lot of games. Especially driving.

I’d say the PS2 had the worst controller of its generation. The Xbox controller worked really well, and if you have giant shovel hands like I do it was even better. The GameCube controller was also excellent, the shape of the whole thing and the differently shaped buttons made everything feel really natural. I can’t remember a time where I had a brain fart with that thing and hit the wrong button or backed out of a menu I meant to confirm something in.

the gcn pad's shapes are distinctive, but too weird. it's hard to accidentally hit the wrong button, but because the layout is so irregular, if you're more used to other gamepads, you'll have to think about it for a second.

i think of it as trying to mentally parse the buttons on the xbox controller. their AB and XY are swapped from the super nintendo, but the snes is what i'm most familiar with, so it takes more concentration than it probably should to push the correct buttons. the layout is different from what your brain wants, so the problem is the same.

and if you use the c-stick instead of doing timed smash attacks then u are a scrub

poverty goat posted:

i like the n64 pad

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 11, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The White Dragon posted:

i think of it as trying to mentally parse the buttons on the xbox controller. their AB and XY are swapped from the super nintendo, but the snes is what i'm most familiar with, so it takes more concentration than it probably should to push the correct buttons. the layout is different from what your brain wants, so the problem is the same.

i like the n64 pad

See, I have problems with other Nintendo controllers because of the swapped A/B but the different tactile feeling of the buttons completely gets around that for me if I’m using a GameCube controller.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

See, I have problems with other Nintendo controllers because of the swapped A/B but the different tactile feeling of the buttons completely gets around that for me if I’m using a GameCube controller.

i'll give you that the gamecube has the best and most obvious Confirm button in all of games. i hate how sony of america singlehandedly split confirm in game dev forever because they thought "Americans wont think circle means yes"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
it took sony like 3 or four consoles to finally make a controller designed for a humans hands, give em a break theyre still just learnding

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I don't respect post-SNES Nintendo controller design and I never will