Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Nah companies buying competitors to eliminate them is extremely common. See Disney after they bought Fox.

https://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/080720-1600

Mill Village fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Aug 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Decisions around large and complex issues often have many integrated considerations and ascribing the decision to any particular one is a overly reductive.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

adoration for none posted:

The end of Vine, regardless of the intent by Twitter, makes a case for publicly owned or open source apps. Move these apps (or the communities built on top of them) out of the market to more solid ground so they can't get swallowed up overnight.
There's plenty of options like that already (Aether, Diaspora, Mastodon, etc) but they're almost always incredibly awkward to set up and use and thus never get a critical mass of users to make them worthwhile. It's also extremely difficult to avoid having somebody in charge responsible for the bills who can ultimately be tempted into selling the service.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
The current SA drama is an excellent example of this.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

NaanViolence posted:

The current SA drama is an excellent example of this.

Wait Disney's buying SA???

Or twitter???

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Wait Disney's buying SA???

Or twitter???

Yes. Jack Dorsey announced that because Twitter owes so much to LF and this forum is mostly Twitter embeds, that he's buying the forums. He was Jeffrey the whole time - obviously, have you ever seen Jeffrey and Jack Dorsey in the same room??

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
I thought tech companies primarily bought other tech companies to eliminate competition or for patents. In the case of twitter, I can see how Vine/Tiktok is a direct competitor considering most videos I see on twitter have the tiktok watermark in the corner anyway. Kinda like how when the gf is scrolling through facebook, all the photos are just screenshots of twitter.

Also, twitter let vine live for like 4 years after the buyout. It even released vine as a stand alone app after year 1 of owning it. I doubt they bought it just to shutter it.

poemdexter fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 12, 2020

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

poemdexter posted:

I thought tech companies primarily bought other tech companies to eliminate competition or for patents. In the case of twitter, I can see how Vine/Tiktok is a direct competitor considering most videos I see on twitter have the tiktok watermark in the corner anyway. Kinda like how when the gf is scrolling through facebook, all the photos are just screenshots of twitter.

Also, twitter let vine live for like 4 years after the buyout. It even released vine as a stand alone app after year 1 of owning it. I doubt they bought it just to shutter it.

they wouldn't buy it JUST to shutter it - you might as well see if you can get a return out of it, and buying it and immediately shuttering it is just a little too obvious to even the stupidest/republicanist antitrust enforcers at DOJ - but the point is basically that buying it and it dying isn't really a bad situation for them because they've still eliminated a potential competitor

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Buying to just shutter is an incredibly risky and costly move as what's stopping another competitor from just springing up? Your also just opening yourself up to anti trust lawsuits from every direction. So no twitter didn't buy it to shutter it and they didn't buy it because they hate minorities. Twitter is evil but in a far more banal way than that. They bought it because it was cool and trendy but they are too stupid to know why, so they ended up with a platform they had no idea what to do with or how to make money from.

The 'corporate' ideal is to do what Facebook did with Instagram, purchase it before it starts to damage your business and then merge the user bases as much as possible while maintaining or even increasing the market stranglehold it has.
Facebook has been far smarter with its acquisitions often keeping the product completely separate with the original creator in control until it reaches a certain threshhold of market dominance, then forcing them out (like they did with WhatsApp)

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Aug 12, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Twitter fears antitrust lawsuits about as much as they fear the California grizzly.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Twitter fears antitrust lawsuits about as much as they fear the California grizzly.

In the US maybe. But EU antitrust is a little more serious.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Where and when does Jack go on mindful meditation out in the wild events?

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Mega Comrade posted:

In the US maybe. But EU antitrust is a little more serious.

[citation needed]

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/nbcbayarea/status/1293565510425206797?s=19

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
oh no not that anything but that

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Ladies and gentlemen, we got em

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

SoftBank Uber firesale when?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
There's already been billions thrown at Uber's money fire, what's another ten million to appeal all the way?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

jaete posted:

[citation needed]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Corp._v._Commission

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_vs._Google

As for current stuff going on

https://www.forbes.com/sites/siladityaray/2020/08/04/eu-launches-antitrust-probe-into-googles-planned-acquisition-of-fitbit/#76b6cbb8622f

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/16/apple-eu-antitrust.html

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-e...e-idUKKBN21P229

There's literally dozens of currently ongoing probes into big tech. The EU has a lot more willingness to go after them.

There is a reason slack (a US company) filed an antitrust complaint against Microsoft in the EU and not the US, cos in the EU they might get listened to

https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/22/slack-has-filed-an-antitrust-complaint-against-microsoft-teams-in-the-eu/

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

this seems like a pretty obvious ploy to get drivers/riders to mobilize for the ballot measure Uber is pushing to be exempted from AB5

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

take boat posted:

this seems like a pretty obvious ploy to get drivers/riders to mobilize for the ballot measure Uber is pushing to be exempted from AB5

Nice to know Ubers trading their employees welfare for voting decisions

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Nice to know Ubers trading their employees welfare for voting decisions

What is good for uber is good for its employees

Actual employees, mind you, not that contractor trash

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Jan posted:

What is good for uber is good for its employees

Actual employees, mind you, not that contractor trash

high up employees, not those actual product makers who can and should be replaced with cheaper ones wherever possible

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
eat poo poo :hmbol:

https://twitter.com/uhshanti/status/1293986258641854464?s=20

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
All this digital storefront exclusivity business is coming to a head:
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1293989979039899648

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I just had a brainwave - if Uber can't get self-driving AI to work, replace it with prison labor and/or workers with disabilities to drive remotely for $1/hr

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Absurd Alhazred posted:

All this digital storefront exclusivity business is coming to a head:
https://twitter.com/verge/status/1293989979039899648

This will certainly resonate with the people in their 40s playing Fortnite.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

FBS posted:

I just had a brainwave - if Uber can't get self-driving AI to work, replace it with prison labor and/or workers with disabilities to drive remotely for $1/hr

So will AI driving be a soylent green type deal where people think its super smart robots but in reality society's technology is built on slave labor?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

poemdexter posted:

This will certainly resonate with the people in their 40s playing Fortnite.

I’ll have you know my 9 year old nephew and his friends love classic advertisements.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

FBS posted:

Nothing bad can possibly happen by enabling hundreds of human piloted, two ton drones, using an array of 720p MacBook cameras.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

so this is how the matrix was made.

*machines in Zero-One*

Hey the humans have patents and a bunch of tech already to attach their brains into a cyber space for reasons????

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

A plot point in Metal Gear Rising was companies kidnapping South American orphans, extracting their brains and directly hooking them up to VR to train them for to be cyber soldiers.

I give it a few more decades until MGR is no longer fictional.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

So will AI driving be a soylent green type deal where people think its super smart robots but in reality society's technology is built on slave labor?

Buddy it already is https://www.theregister.com/2019/04/11/amazon_staff_listen_to_alexa/

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Detective No. 27 posted:

A plot point in Metal Gear Rising was companies kidnapping South American orphans, extracting their brains and directly hooking them up to VR to train them for to be cyber soldiers.

I give it a few more decades until MGR is no longer fictional.

The rise of PMCs is inevitable at this point prepare for privatized militaries to be stronger than their governmental counterparts.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Mechanical Turk is even older and was already used to do fake AI startup proof-of-concept demos

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
I can't wait for the day when captchas are literally just "drive this car for us for a bit".

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Will it know if you're a human because you try to crash it on purpose to end the test as quickly as possible?

America Inc.
Nov 22, 2013

I plan to live forever, of course, but barring that I'd settle for a couple thousand years. Even 500 would be pretty nice.

Mister Facetious posted:

Will it know if you're a human because you try to crash it on purpose to end the test as quickly as possible?

Look ma, it's like Dukes of Hazzard!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

I’ll have you know my 9 year old nephew and his friends love classic advertisements.

this is my tech nightmare