Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm looking for some recommendations for ND and polarizing filters to shoot landscape/waterfalls, and possibly some long exposure lakeshore photography. I currently shoot Canon and I'd like to stay under 200 dollars if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ice are a decent budget brand:

https://desphotodist.com/Ice.html

They have a very slight cast, but nudge the slider in LR and it's gone.

$200 puts you underneath any of the big brands, like Kase or Breakthrough.

Screw on filters are my favorite these days, they pack smaller. CPL+ND filters are cool too. Ice has a 5 stop+CPL which is worth looking at, don't underestimate how nice it is to not have to thread a billion pieces of glass on the front of your camera (plus step down rings if all your lenses don't have the same filter size).

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm heading to my cottage with some friends on Tuesday. I think I've brought enough gear.

Nikon Z6
- 24-70mm f/4
- 50mm f/1.8
- 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
- Sigma fisheye 15mm f/2.8
- Godox flash
DJI Mavic 2 Pro drone
Sony FDR-X3000 action cam (x2 with waterproof cases)

Not pictured:
GoPro Fusion 360-degree camera
DJI Smart Remote
DJI Mavic Mini (backup in case Pro doesn't want to fly)
Batteries, memory cards, chargers and cables

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Nah, you’re just prepared for multiple situations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't use it if you don't have it with you, so bring it all.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I don’t see an ND filter. How are you going to make water look like plastic without an ND filter?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I don't see any tilt/shift adapter's you fool, you absolute moron

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

If you take less than a dozen extra batteries, you may as well leave it all home.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Big McHuge posted:

I'm looking for some recommendations for ND and polarizing filters to shoot landscape/waterfalls, and possibly some long exposure lakeshore photography. I currently shoot Canon and I'd like to stay under 200 dollars if possible.

I’ve got Hoya 9-stop ND filters that appear to be discontinued but still available on Amazon.

Hoya 77mm Neutral Density NDx400 Filter

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00111UX40

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

xzzy posted:

Can't use it if you don't have it with you, so bring it all.

This goon gets it.

tk posted:

I don’t see an ND filter. How are you going to make water look like plastic without an ND filter?

This goon does too.

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
What's the general take on non-OEM batteries/chargers? I'd like to pick up a couple more for my rebel T7, and Amazon has literally dozens of listings, most if not all cheaper than the official Canon ones.

I'm less concerned with "less battery life than OEM" and more concerned with "will leak/explode/ruin camera/blow off fingat."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've used Wasabi batteries in my cameras for years and they've been fine.

Yeah there's a risk but first party batteries are more than double the price so gently caress that.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I used to use sterlingtek forever with no noticeable difference in quality or lifespan with Olympus or canon. Wasabi for my GoPro and RX100.

After switching to a Sony A73, I bought a second Sony battery because I read the third parties don't have nearly the charge life. Chargers though, third party all the way. Double battery chargers are great.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah wasabi batteries are fantastic for the money.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I haven't used autofocus or any of the automatic settings on my nikon since maybe a few months after I got it and that was at least 5 years ago. skimming through a video of the neat stuff the advanced ai in my camera is capable of made me realize how much of the engineering budget and clock cycles went into stuff I don't use. Is there such a beast as a purely manual dslr?

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

The Voice of Labor posted:

I haven't used autofocus or any of the automatic settings on my nikon since maybe a few months after I got it and that was at least 5 years ago. skimming through a video of the neat stuff the advanced ai in my camera is capable of made me realize how much of the engineering budget and clock cycles went into stuff I don't use. Is there such a beast as a purely manual dslr?

Modern DSLRs are designed to be used with AF, they have no split prism/focussing screen like older cameras. If you are using pure manual focus that's fine if it works for you, but focussing guides and assistance have been around for focusing on cameras since way before DSLR, it's actually harder to use manual focus on a modern DSLR camera now than it was back when they had split prism focussing screens.

I use manual focus lenses on my DSLR for macro, but I make sure I have electronic aperture control so I can see my subject and I'm mostly using experience from trial and error for getting bug eyes in focus visually (usually based around how the highlights are looking.)

All the other auto settings are based around exposure, again fully manual is fine if it works for you (are you using auto ISO? You may be less manual than you think...) Again for macro I use manual with fixed ISO but then I use ETTL mostly for flash so again i'm relying on some amount of automatic exposure control.

When I shoot birds, I'm generally using aperture priority + auto ISO + exposure control if the light is bright, or manual + auto ISO if the light is low and I have to be more selective with subjects, but again that's where I'm relying on a perched subject and the image stabilization in my lens to allow me to shoot a shutter speed lower than 1/focal length.

TL;DR you can make your DSLR as dumb as a bag of rocks by switching off all the assistance, but you may be using more of it that you think and older cameras still had gizmos for focus etc and fully manual is fun if you don't HAVE to get results, or your subject/lighting is very controllable (full flash exposure, landscapes, etc.)

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Shoot film, as your heart is telling you to

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Megabound posted:

Shoot film, as your heart is telling you to

:yeah:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

-Turn off your electronics
-Shoot film
-Do rock paintings

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Tintype or GTFO

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

The Nikon D200 was all kinds of mediocre but you could install a split focusing screen in it and pretend you were shooting with an antique K1000. Pew pew.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Sony A37 in MF+ focus peaking coupled with the big 70-200 minolta beercan on so you have to spend the time fighting to stop it from drooping while trying to focus has some amazing 1980s vibes.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I just picked up a mint vivitar 135mm 2.8 prime in Minolta mc mount. I'll probably pick up an adapter to see how it works on my A7iii.

I'm getting more interested in using old manual lenses. I'll also need one for all my k mount lenses.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
In all seriousness there are three minolta lenses out there worth getting, 35-105 f/3.5-4.5 macro, 70-210 f/4 macro, and the 35-70 f/4 macro. Oddly enough the first two weigh the same and the smaller two do a odd opposite thing.

https://twitter.com/learnincurve11/status/1293246439699742720

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Took this with my a72 through the Minolta 70-210 f/4:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
It’s the colours on them that just make them something else imo, this is the 35-105 at f/8 on the A37, no editing other than raw conversion in lightroom iirc.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

theHUNGERian posted:

-Turn off your electronics
-Shoot film
-Do rock paintings

I have turned off the electronics. I have no problem manually dialing in focus and exposure. I want a camera that doesn't have a bunch of stuff I don't need or want because then the entirety of the cost and design would be dedicated to making the things I do need and want better.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I have turned off the electronics. I have no problem manually dialing in focus and exposure. I want a camera that doesn't have a bunch of stuff I don't need or want because then the entirety of the cost and design would be dedicated to making the things I do need and want better.

I'm not completely familiar with their product lineup, but this seems like precisely the kind of niche that Leica would fill with their digital camera offerings

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Anything that does this will be so niche you’ll actually pay more than just using your DSLR as is. See, Leica rangefinders or buying a MF digital back and slapping it on an old body.

You should just get into film.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

powderific posted:

Anything that does this will be so niche you’ll actually pay more than just using your DSLR as is. See, Leica rangefinders or buying a MF digital back and slapping it on an old body.

no, I'm cool with plugging a usb cable into my camera and having all the photos on my 'puter, I'm cool with having effectively unlimited exposures for free and I'm cool with not needing to convert a space that I don't have into a darkroom .

a digital back actually sounds pretty cool and I have no problems with tinkering/frankenstiening something together

Stingwing
Mar 26, 2010

Thank you Mr President for Making America Great Again! USA #1! I shouldn't have to understand other cultures, I'm a god damn American hero.

:psyduck:

powderific posted:

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

They used to make manual focusing screens like old film DSLRs had, which you could replace your DSLR focusing screen with. If you could find one of those for whatever the early full frame DSLR can have the most old manual focus lenses you'd be fairly close to a digital manual camera.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
You can buy a D300 ludicrously cheap now, it has all the controls on the body and no video. Still the Sony A37 with focus peaking if you want something light to manual focus with, trust me it can’t track anything for poo poo and it’s often easier to switch to manual because of the lack of focus points anyway.

Edit: I have it because I had those Minolta lenses and others from new and wanted something very cheap to mount them on.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 11, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
is there any cluster of mf lenses which are cheap because they are considered obsolete rather than expensive because they are considered vintage?

e: looks like there is no shortage of aftermarket screens for the d3000/d5000 and I'm in the process of replacing all the guts of a d5000 right now anyway. any recommended brands/features? Again, I do o.k. with manual focus and the stock screen, but for 20 or $30 I can see what the split focus fuss is about

The Voice of Labor fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 11, 2020

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
See what you are after here is film and that’s fine, like the lenses I posted were made in the 1980s for a film camera and they have AF that can keep up with modern lenses easy.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

learnincurve posted:

See what you are after here is film and that’s fine, like the lenses I posted were made in the 1980s for a film camera and they have AF that can keep up with modern lenses easy.

no, I'm cool with plugging a usb cable into my camera and having all the photos on my 'puter, I'm cool with having effectively unlimited exposures for free and I'm cool with not needing to convert a space that I don't have into a darkroom .

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

is there any cluster of mf lenses which are cheap because they are considered obsolete rather than expensive because they are considered vintage?

Minolta, anything with an M42 mount and K mount lenses are all cheap. Minolta because they're not popular (may change), M42 because no one wants to spend that much time changing a lens and K mount because they're ubiquitous.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I'm not sure what 's being asked here? Are you asking about manual focusing aids or price? All cameras are manual in MF mode and if you don't care about video and want cheap than go for a older Nikon like the D300 or D5200 for the old nikon lenses or Sony a37/a58 for Minolta. poo poo the D3100 is £50 or less now.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Nikon (and to a lesser degree Pentax) are the go-to choices for shooting film lenses because they don't require you to stop down the aperture by hand every time you shoot. With a focusing screen and their native lens catalog, they work just like a film SLR used to (including in full manual if that's your thing). Other brands you need to focus wide open and then stop down every shot.

If you don't want Nikon or Pentax the next best thing is a Sony mirrorless body with the focus peaking, or spend the money for a Leica digital or an Epson R-D1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I do wish there was a decent digital body that went for leica-style minimalism that cost less than like a thousand dollars. It's really hard to justify $1k+ when it's like, objectively worse than a regular digital camera.

Like, I love the concept of the Epson R-D1 - full manual controls, a functional rangefinder, a thumb crank to save battery on the shutter reset, fully functional and usable with the screen folded in to save even more battery, etc. I just don't want to pay $1.5-2k for a whopping 6.1 megapixel sensor.

Then there's the Pixii display-less m mount digital rangefinder which came out this year and seems like it's exactly what I was asking for! Except it has a 12mpx APSC sensor, an electronic shutter, no SD card slot with only 4-8gb of internal memory, and is over $3,000! I get it's a niche market, but I'm just surprised there isn't a cheaper plastic body that can be bought for a more reasonable price. I'd leap at the opportunity to buy a pen-f or em10 or something with an actual for-realsies rangefinder and manual controls. The x-pro 3 is the closest there is, and even that's $1.8k. I feel like there are enough people that love old-school camera design on instagram and such that this would be a slam-dunk.