Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

ThermoPhysical posted:

Maybe I'll be using a Pixel 4a (or 5?) sooner than later.

My P4XL had a weird green flash while typing, not sure what that's about, but some quick research show's it's a thing that sometimes happens at low brightness and mine isn't on low brightness.

Got it from Amazon back in April so Google is probably going to tell me to go pound sand. :v
I got the green flash lockup during Snapchat camera (pixel 3) and was considering RMA but it's been fine since for 8 months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

feedmyleg posted:

Anyone know a free camera app that does 24fps? I only see that feature behind a paywall in the apps that I've found and I only want it for like a 3 second shot :(
Open Camera allows me to set it up like that. I'm not sure about the actual results; I haven't tried.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Flipperwaldt posted:

Open Camera allows me to set it up like that. I'm not sure about the actual results; I haven't tried.

Welp! That certainly is free and has the setting, but apparently 24fps is not supported on my device. Thanks, though! Guess I'll just deal.

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anything I should know before I switch my Google Play Store Account country? I've been in Country 1 forever but since I moved a few years ago, I never went around to changing it. I'm assuming the reoccurring subscription price will change to the new country along with all the other prices?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Galaxy Note 20, something something still 1080p only, no micro SD slot anymore, plastic back instead of glass, gonna cost a loving grand.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

And the only 20 series device stuck at 60hz.

The thing I want to see though it's the JerryRigEverthing test of the Ultra. I want to know if the Invictus glass is actually any harder (stand up to an higher hardness pick) or if the scratch resistance only amounts to the amount of pressure that was put on it.

I have seen an informal test drop off the Note 20 Ultra at 6 feet and it survived completely unfazed.

Invictus may actually be the real spec to look ok out for in the future.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Aug 9, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I wouldn't mind a decent plastic back. I had a Lumia 930 and this one had a polycarbonate back which felt awesome. And it was a tank in general. But if Samsung's going to ditch the expensive (Gorilla?) glass back for a cheaper plastic one, these fuckers should upgrade some other spec in the phone then.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

The impressions I've seen so far of the plastic Note 20 back is it feels hollow and worse than the A51.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've never heard of this, ever. Has he modified the phone at all in any way?

Honestly, I've never heard of it either but I looked it up and it seems like a relatively rare occurrence.

He's not modified the phone beyond getting the August update.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I got the green flash lockup during Snapchat camera (pixel 3) and was considering RMA but it's been fine since for 8 months.

It wasn't so much a flash but just the entire screen having a green tint while I was using it and it was charging.

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 9, 2020

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ThermoPhysical posted:

He's on Verizon and bought the phone directly from them. Doesn't Verizon still bootloader lock their phones?

Probably they do but I can assure you that it's probably the only fix. Tell Verizon to fix it if it's their phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

LastInLine posted:

Probably they do but I can assure you that it's probably the only fix. Tell Verizon to fix it if it's their phone.

Yah, installing the previous OS is the only fix. He doesn't want to do a factory reset as his contacts and passwords are on that one. Basically he doesn't have those backed up, never has. He thinks it's an invasion of privacy to put them on Google's servers so he just relies on Verizon to "do their magic" and move it over between phones.

... Yeah.

So I don't know what he's expecting, really.

LosMein
Feb 15, 2006
I'm in the market for a new phone and the Pixel 4a looks perfect for me. The only issue is that I'm not living in the US these days. Amazon will ship it to me for free, but is there anything else I should research to make sure I won't have any problems and it'll work fine? I live in Hong Kong fwiw.
Thanks!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Since Google Play Music is getting Googled into YouTube music which as far as I can tell is a downgrade in every way, what all are people switching to? I like being able to stream music I've bought in Play Music, but not being able to play it in my car without having the screen on all the time is total deal breaker. So I guess I'm looking for an "old fashioned" mp3 player app.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
YT Music will let you play songs that you bought from Play Music with the screen off just fine. Or at least stuff that you "uploaded", which I think amounts to the same thing at this point.

Severedseven
Jun 6, 2007

Heavy and light
If I'm currently running a Pixel 2, would moving to the Pixel 4a be a downgrade in performance? The battery life on the 2 is my only real problem and it's not too bad yet. From the specs it looks like a slight downgrade in processor but 2 more gigs of ram. Is that right and how does that translate into performance?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

There's a handful of benchmarks were the SD835 eeks out a victory over the SD730G, but for the most part the 730G is faster aside from the GPU. However, every review I've seen so far has shown the 730G GPU is more than enough for the games that Android has available for it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Severedseven posted:

If I'm currently running a Pixel 2, would moving to the Pixel 4a be a downgrade in performance? The battery life on the 2 is my only real problem and it's not too bad yet. From the specs it looks like a slight downgrade in processor but 2 more gigs of ram. Is that right and how does that translate into performance?

The extra 2gb of ram (and a bigger, new battery) will make way more difference than the minimal differences between the two CPUs.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

SpartanIvy posted:

Since Google Play Music is getting Googled into YouTube music which as far as I can tell is a downgrade in every way, what all are people switching to? I like being able to stream music I've bought in Play Music, but not being able to play it in my car without having the screen on all the time is total deal breaker. So I guess I'm looking for an "old fashioned" mp3 player app.

The YT Music UI feels completely uninspired, and that's coming from someone who typically doesn't care about such things. I'll probably stick with it for the forseeable future though because I like the YT Premium benefits it comes with.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
I've been forcing myself to use YT Music since my transfer, and I agree the UI isn't great. But otherwise it hasn't bothered me a lot, and it functions the same as Play Music in any case. It's so very Google, though. At least they made it easy to transfer data over from Play Music, though having to split Podcasts to a separate app is stupid.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Is there a way to automatically upload to YT? I have that official Google thing for play music where it watches my music folder and uploads anything new. I googled for this and I see that I can drag and drop, which is almost as easy, but not quite.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I bought an album on the play store, but I can't find any indication of it in YT Music. Searching for the album in the search bar finds it (although it's far down on the list) and it doesn't appear any different than other albums I haven't purchased. Am I missing something?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Is there a way to automatically upload to YT? I have that official Google thing for play music where it watches my music folder and uploads anything new. I googled for this and I see that I can drag and drop, which is almost as easy, but not quite.

When I asked, I was told "no", but I didn't dig into it further.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Thanks for the advice everybody. :cheerdoge:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm gonna crosspost this to a few different threads, but I have a weird issue, and this seems like the closest thing to a Chromecast thread we have:

Last October, I ordered a TCL 55R625 Roku TV, along with a refurb Samsung HW-MS650/ZA soundbar. Finally, I pre-ordered a Stadia (yes, please, get your laughs out now), which came with a Chromecast Pro. The problem is that as long as the Chromecast is plugged in, whenever I'm streaming--regardless of whether I'm streaming from the Chromecast, the computer hooked up to the TV, or through the TV interface itself--every 15-45 seconds, the sound goes completely quiet for about a second. Unplugging the Chromecast resolves the issue... but I would like to be able to use the Chromecast. I've updated the TV a couple of times, still get the issue. I think the Chromecast automatically updates, and as far as I know, the soundbar doesn't have any updates. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.
I have an unlocked Pixel 2XL with 128 GB. It's mint, bought from Google when released. We are coming up on the three year mark where I don't get update priority I think. Should that be a reason to upgrade? Are there others? I buy my phones outright and not into forking out another grand or whatever when the 5 comes out. I mainly use this thing for calls, camera, nav and music. The rest is superfluous unless I'm missing out on something life changing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Rip Testes posted:

I have an unlocked Pixel 2XL with 128 GB. It's mint, bought from Google when released. We are coming up on the three year mark where I don't get update priority I think. Should that be a reason to upgrade? Are there others? I buy my phones outright and not into forking out another grand or whatever when the 5 comes out. I mainly use this thing for calls, camera, nav and music. The rest is superfluous unless I'm missing out on something life changing.

I have a 3aXL that I really like, it was a fraction of the cost of a 4, and it has a headphone jack, so maybe see if you can wait for the 4a to drop?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Rip Testes posted:

The 3 year cutoff is actually for 2 things: New versions of Android, and Security updates. I'm in a very similar boat to you. I don't use my phone for anything beyond the basics, so I don't care that much if I don't get new Android versions. The reason I'm upgrading (to the Pixel 4a) is because of the security updates. It's probably a little paranoid, since no one has any reason to care about me, and millions of random Android phones don't get security updates past day 1 and muddle along just fine, but for me it's about voting with my wallet to encourage security updates. Also, there is A LOT of information about me on my phone. It's up to you how much that matters. In all likelihood you'd be 100% fine just riding out the 2XL until it breaks, but I feel strongly about privacy (lol google) and security.

As far as what to upgrade to, I'm pretty excited about the design choices that were made for the 4a. It's simple, with nothing flashy. Great camera, very good battery life, good (if last gen) screen, software that gets out of my way and doesn't give me anything I don't need at a great price. For my use cases, phones are good enough now, and have been for a while. I too don't like paying four figures for a phone, and I feel that there are fewer reasons to now given how much better the technology has become. That said, the Pixel 5 is rumored to be coming out in October, so given that you don't need a phone right away, there's no harm in waiting for it. The 4a will still be available if there's nothing on the 5 compelling enough to pay for.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

When I asked, I was told "no", but I didn't dig into it further.

Oh well. Thanks, Google.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The US S20 got s Snapdragon 865 while the other regions got the meh Exynos 990. Now the US Note 20 got the improved 865+, while the other regions still get the same Exynos 990. Jesus Christ, Samsung, really?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bull3964 posted:

There's a handful of benchmarks were the SD835 eeks out a victory over the SD730G, but for the most part the 730G is faster aside from the GPU. However, every review I've seen so far has shown the 730G GPU is more than enough for the games that Android has available for it.

Do you have a link for these, I'm keen to see how it compares to the OG Pixel, which is what I'm looking to jump up from. I'm assuming the 4a would blow it out of the water still, but I want to cover my bases.

Also RE: YT Music, it only streams music right, it doesn't play mp3s I have on the phone? I don't want to lose music because I'm on a road trip and go out of coverage. In which case I'm also in the same boat of wanting a nice clean mp3 player. (I'll probably keep YT Music for the radio functions when working around the house etc).

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

I dunno if it will play random mp3s, but you can download tracks for offline play.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

NZAmoeba posted:

Do you have a link for these, I'm keen to see how it compares to the OG Pixel, which is what I'm looking to jump up from. I'm assuming the 4a would blow it out of the water still, but I want to cover my bases.

There are a few score aggregator sites out there for benchmarks, though I haven't been able to find an easy example for the SD820, but here's the 835.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/835-vs-730G-vs-730_8554_11555_11431.247596.0.html

Combat Pretzel posted:

The US S20 got s Snapdragon 865 while the other regions got the meh Exynos 990. Now the US Note 20 got the improved 865+, while the other regions still get the same Exynos 990. Jesus Christ, Samsung, really?

I'm going to guess this continued use of the Exynos is due to Qualcomm supply constraints.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay

bull3964 posted:

I'm going to guess this continued use of the Exynos is due to Qualcomm supply constraints.
If the antenna is built into snapdragon couldn't it just be region based antenna stuff?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Every snapdragon in recent memory has supported all the relevant bands in the world.

Also, all of the SD865 and SD865+ devices use a discrete modem anyways (that was one of their cons and one of the reason why the price and battery use was inflated.) The Exynos 990 also uses a discrete modem.

I'm pretty sure it's just a numbers game. Snapdragon regions are US, China, Korea, and Japan while Europe and the rest of the world get Exynos. The snapdragon devices are going to amount for the vast majority of device sales based on region and that's probably where Samsung focuses their chip allotment since they are the most important markets to them. Going Exynos in those other regions also probably increases margins a bit which helps for the lower volume sales.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm mostly annoyed that some regions get a better phone for similar pricing. Practically it's probably not really relevant, except maybe battery stuff, at which the Exynos is worse at, but it still doesn't sit right. It's one thing if you have alternative display panels or batteries or whatever, because they're manufactured to a spec they have to fulfill. But the the SoC is something different.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, well...you still get headphones in the box!

Seriously though, I'm betting the alternative would just to be to severely curtail the product lineup in those countries.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Went and pre ordered the Note 20 Ultra here in Canada, think I'll get a galaxy watch 3 as well. I've become a consumer whore but at least I get that sweet sweet snapdragon processor.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm actually dithering on whether or not to keep the cycle going and trade in the S20 Ultra on the Note 20 Ultra. Looks like the embargo drops on the 18th since I've seen mention a few places of full reviews dropping.

So far, I've seen two people mention improvements in the fingerprint scanner even though Samsung didn't announce any hardware changes. It's possible the new display or glass (or some other changes to how it was mounted) is helping with that. So, I find that intriguing. I'm also really curious as to how Gorilla Glass Victus really performs, but it may be a bit for that as all the reviewers have review units and unless Samsung sent Jerry one explicitly to destroy, it probably won't come until after retail availability.

Focus issues seem to be resolved from the laser autofocus that the S20 Ultra should have had out of the box. That should probably improve low light shots quite a bit too since I think part of their issue is having poor focus before they are processed and the zoom module seems far more sane and usable.

Since the embargo is down on the 18th, preorders should still be open at that point and I can make a decision based on some of the full reviews. At first blush though, it seems like a much more refined device than the S20 Ultra was.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

NZAmoeba posted:

Also RE: YT Music, it only streams music right, it doesn't play mp3s I have on the phone? I don't want to lose music because I'm on a road trip and go out of coverage. In which case I'm also in the same boat of wanting a nice clean mp3 player. (I'll probably keep YT Music for the radio functions when working around the house etc).

It can play arbitrary files on the device, but probably not in a way that will make you happy or want to do it often.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Lol Surface Duo starts at $1400, although it looks like it comes with a pen and maybe some wireless headphones?

https://twitter.com/samsungbloat/status/1293278666194116613