Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Also how much do we bet not a single journalist will ask her about this

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/1293290681792749568

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Glumwheels posted:

While simultaneously saying she’s a cop etc to upset the “too online” types. Trump’s talking heads contradict themselves every time they open their mouths on tv. They have no consistent message or attack against Biden and now Harris. They’re both too far left while being too far right, how is that a good attack?

I like Kamala, she’s owned up for her criticisms as a DA and has run fairly progressive in the senate. There’s no magical unicorn in politics that will please everyone.

Picking Kamala in the era of George Floyd/BLM is tone deaf as gently caress, but i expect nothing else from the Dems :shrug:

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

What a bummer. I have already decided never to get my hopes up anymore before this happens and it paid off.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Gyges posted:

The sweetest KHive reward we can now see only comes from Biden running for reelection but loosing the primary.

I think I can find a genie by then.

That's a tall order given how underwater Biden is on Election Day, and lol of you think mail in votes for Biden will be counted.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Mister Fister posted:

Picking Kamala in the era of George Floyd/BLM is tone deaf as gently caress, but i expect nothing else from the Dems :shrug:

Do you honestly think those who hate Kamala would have voted for Biden had he chosen Duckworth or Bass? Who’s the right choice for their support?

I’d say they’re part of the small Bernie percentage that won’t support Biden no matter what. I’m going to enjoy the krystal ball’s telling on themselves when they give Trump ammo against Kamala.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

ManBoyChef posted:

What a bummer. I have already decided never to get my hopes up anymore before this happens and it paid off.

i mean, who out of the list if candidates would even have been good? don’t be glum, chum. every day is another chance to fight

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

If anyone wants to pass it around, I've reposed Bootleg Trunks' Kamala post here: https://medium.com/@john.arena.3/oh-boy-kamala-d507e50dc60d

this is the first thing I've ever posted to medium so if I've hosed it up somehow please let me know

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Glumwheels posted:

Do you honestly think those who hate Kamala would have voted for Biden had he chosen Duckworth or Bass? Who’s the right choice for their support?

I’d say they’re part of the small Bernie percentage that won’t support Biden no matter what. I’m going to enjoy the krystal ball’s telling on themselves when they give Trump ammo against Kamala.

How does anyone "give Trump ammo"? I don't even understand this concept. Bringing up poo poo that Kamala herself has done isn't giving anyone anything she hasn't already happily provided to the world.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Glumwheels posted:

what 'ammo' will people give that isn't part of her public record

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Shere posted:

How does anyone "give Trump ammo"? I don't even understand this concept. Bringing up poo poo that Kamala herself has done isn't giving anyone anything she hasn't already happily provided to the world.

talking about objective history is problematic, and violence, imo

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

LegendaryFrog posted:

What qualifies as progressive policy here? Because "progressives" aren't some new thing that came about in the middle of Obama's presidency. There is more than a century of history of a progressive moment and electoral success in getting meaningful progressive policy passed, up to and including recent history (just look at how many states and cities have passed minimum wage increases in the last 6 years).

The nature of progressive policy is that is is regularly trying to push further than we are right now... hence "progressive", but sometimes it feels like that causes people to assume the baseline of where we are now has always been the middle, and thus unintentionally erases any victories achieved prior to that exact moment. There is an ocean of distance between where we are and where we need to get to, but I neither understand nor agree with the assertion that we haven't even started leaving the shore (not saying you were suggesting this).

And this is really the crux of it. You're under the illusion that we're making progress, even if it's slower than would be ideal. This is not true. This worldview depends upon cherry-picking the good things and ignoring all the bad ones. You don't get to say "we progressed because we increased minimum wage in some places!" and ignore things like "we caused millions of people to suffer and/or die through our foreign and immigration policy" or "abortion has gradually become de facto illegal in many states" or "the black/white wealth gap increased."

A big part of the problem is that your average liberal has a heavily distorted perception of politics that basically is limited to just "the handful of issues where positive progress was made." This isn't that surprising, since those are the things that Democratic politicians and Democratic-aligned media focus on and emphasize (and it also makes politics far more palatable to follow).

Glumwheels posted:

While simultaneously saying she’s a cop etc to upset the “too online” types. Trump’s talking heads contradict themselves every time they open their mouths on tv. They have no consistent message or attack against Biden and now Harris. They’re both too far left while being too far right, how is that a good attack?

Yes, I'm sure that Republicans and the sort of person who is undecided are going to go "but Trump's attacks - they're inconsistent!"

They're totally not going to selectively listen to the things that appeal to them and ignore everything else. That would be ridiculous!

So weird how things always turn out like this. What an unlucky series of coincidences that no one could possibly predict with any certainty

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Glumwheels posted:

As we all know, oppo research is just people watching things on tv, youtube and twitter. If people don't criticize democrats for anything then it is impossible for republicans to find out.

papa horny michael
Aug 18, 2009

by Pragmatica
Just lol at thinking Krystal Ball has any sort of audience.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Glumwheels posted:

I’m going to enjoy the krystal ball’s telling on themselves when they give Trump ammo against Kamala.

Yeah! They should wait until the next window! "C'mon, man!"*

*As the democratic presidential nominee allegedly once said after raping a woman.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

And this is really the crux of it. You're under the illusion that we're making progress, even if it's slower than would be ideal. This is not true. This worldview depends upon cherry-picking the good things and ignoring all the bad ones. You don't get to say "we progressed because we increased minimum wage in some places!" and ignore things like "we caused millions of people to suffer and/or die through our foreign and immigration policy" or "abortion has gradually become de facto illegal in many states" or "the black/white wealth gap increased."

A big part of the problem is that your average liberal has a heavily distorted perception of politics that basically is limited to just "the handful of issues where positive progress was made." This isn't that surprising, since those are the things that Democratic politicians and Democratic-aligned media focus on and emphasize (and it also makes politics far more palatable to follow).

Yes, I'm sure that Republicans and the sort of person who is undecided are going to go "but Trump's attacks - they're inconsistent!"

They're totally not going to selectively listen to the things that appeal to them and ignore everything else. That would be ridiculous!

So weird how things always turn out like this. What an unlucky series of coincidences that no one could possibly predict with any certainty

Yeah, this progress that now sees members of the Contras, Henry Kissinger, neocons from the Bush administration, and former republican presidential candidates all as important parts of the coalition.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ytlaya posted:

I'm surprised anyone would actually believe Bass had a chance. The second I heard she was considered to be to Harris's left it was obvious she wasn't it. It was between Rice and Harris, and maybe Demings if she had one hell of a pitch for why literal cop was better than global cop or wannabe cop.

Bass was on the list to let the center left think they had a shot and were being taken seriously. They never had a shot and they weren't. Better get used to it because the center right has made their pick and shocker, it's more of the same.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Mister Fister posted:

Jesus christ, Kamala Harris at this point in time is remarkable.

Further proof that the Democratic leadership is far removed from the people they claim to represent.

Shere posted:

It's an absolutely pointless term used by people who don't like having their candidates held accountable for what they've done / said

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

Glumwheels posted:

If by “giving Trump ammo” you mean “correctly pointing out her terrible record” then yeah that could happen.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
For the love of God, Kamala Harris's notion that it is ever okay to prosecute or threaten jail time to a parent for non-violent abuse is not okay, but PEOPLE NEED TO STOP USING THE WORD TRUANT AND TRUANCY in their criticism of it.

"Copmala wants to prosecute truant kids" is bullshit because it paints an image of a couple of buddies just skipping school for a day or poo poo like that. The issue that this was regarding was kids who are not going to school at all or to a level that school is entirely ineffective . And while there are almost always systematic issues that cause this, more often than not, it is an act of neglect. Kids who are not going to school are being neglected and fundamentally abused by not being provided their education.

Kamala's actions cannot be defended. It is a lovely loving reaction and I think you can see how Harris sees punitiveness as inherent to detering bad behavior as a key issue of her character. But I feel like the use of the word truancy is used to press the disproportionateness of Harris's response. And while the intent of disparaging Harris might be admirable, as the law is, it's targeting an actual problem. The phrase truancy minimizes the problem in of itself.

And I want to preemptively say that obviously there are core issues with our education system, how we value our communities, our healthcare system that devastates the elders of poorer communities, underserved shelter systems, inherent racism, bad housing policies, bad policing, and a million other things that drive this neglect and this abuse.

But there are real kids in this country who deserve everyone in their life doing whatever they can to grant them an education. And I can tell you from experience, sometimes schools do everything they can (Home visits, buddy systems, even helping parents with their own work issues) and parents just aren't doing their job to get their kid to school and it's really not okay.

It is an actual problem, and I would love if we discussed in a way where people could still indicate Harris's strategy was abhorrent without minimizing actual neglect.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Does the VP pick even matter, really? How many people are going to change their vote to or against Biden because of Kamala or anyone else he picked? Probably not an amount that matters.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Timeless Appeal posted:

For the love of God, Kamala Harris's notion that it is ever okay to prosecute or threaten jail time to a parent for non-violent abuse is not okay, but PEOPLE NEED TO STOP USING THE WORD TRUANT AND TRUANCY in their criticism of it.

"Copmala wants to prosecute truant kids" is bullshit because it paints an image of a couple of buddies just skipping school for a day or poo poo like that. The issue that this was regarding was kids who are not going to school at all or to a level that school is entirely ineffective . And while there are almost always systematic issues that cause this, more often than not, it is an act of neglect. Kids who are not going to school are being neglected and fundamentally abused by not being provided their education.

Kamala's actions cannot be defended. It is a lovely loving reaction and I think you can see how Harris sees punitiveness as inherent to detering bad behavior as a key issue of her character. But I feel like the use of the word truancy is used to press the disproportionateness of Harris's response. And while the intent of disparaging Harris might be admirable, as the law is, it's targeting an actual problem. The phrase truancy minimizes the problem in of itself.

And I want to preemptively say that obviously there are core issues with our education system, how we value our communities, our healthcare system that devastates the elders of poorer communities, underserved shelter systems, inherent racism, bad housing policies, bad policing, and a million other things that drive this neglect and this abuse.

But there are real kids in this country who deserve everyone in their life doing whatever they can to grant them an education. And I can tell you from experience, sometimes schools do everything they can (Home visits, buddy systems, even helping parents with their own work issues) and parents just aren't doing their job to get their kid to school and it's really not okay.

It is an actual problem, and I would love if we discussed in a way where people could still indicate Harris's strategy was abhorrent without minimizing actual neglect.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/kama...OMP2uJH3MO6VbZ1

and

https://twitter.com/WalkerBragman/status/1089974205284798464?s=20.

from the Bootleg Trunks' list upthread

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Timeless Appeal posted:

on the other hand there's also cases where the parents try to force the kids to go to school but have no real method of forcing them to that wouldnt result in them acting out even more

like if you literally walk your kid into the school every day and he still gives the teachers the slip at lunch and dicks around in a walmart for 6 hours, what can a parent (who has a full time job) actually do?

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Famethrowa posted:

the only thing that will satisfy me is the khive wailing so im pretty sad now.

On the positive side there will probably be at least a few less incidents of domestic terrorism this year

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

OctaMurk posted:

Does the VP pick even matter, really? How many people are going to change their vote to or against Biden because of Kamala or anyone else he picked? Probably not an amount that matters.

Everyone thinks Biden is going to die soon, so yes it matters

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

Nucleic Acids posted:

If by “giving Trump ammo” you mean “correctly pointing out her terrible record” then yeah that could happen.

Nah you don't understand, criticizing a democrat means that you want to hug and kiss donald trump and will vote 500 times for him. "Joe biden/kamala harris is bad" is in fact equivalent to "donald trump is good."

e: ^^^Also yeah, thats true. There's decent odds harris will be president by 2024.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Glumwheels posted:

I don't understand how liberals can simultaneously hold the belief that a few young people not voting in Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin are directly responsible for Trump's election and yet simultaneously hold the belief that it's stupid to make any effort at all to make an affirmative case (you know, one that doesn't start and end with Trump Bad) as to why those same young people should make the effort to go and vote for their ticket. Picking Kamala is designed to appeal to wine moms, lanyards and donors, period.

Setting her up as VP so she can run in 2024 or 2028 means we're 12 years at best away from actually getting anyone remotely progressive into the oval office. All the pep talks about electing progressives on a local level to slowly build a party that gives a poo poo about anything other than the priorities of the subset of Capital that funds them in the world aren't going to stop the concentration of power into the federal executive and the consequences of that on enacting the policies we absolutely have to start implementing *right now* to avoid the worst of a global catastrophe. Absolutely boggles my mind.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ultimately, the VP pick won't matter. Most voters are likely to consider Harris inoffensive and boring, but her selection will mollify party factions that were advocating for a minority pick. This was the campaign's last real chance to do something exciting or surprising and they passed on it, which makes sense given they feel like they're in a comfortable lead heading into the election.

Possible they feel "black woman" is exciting in and of itself, so making the most obvious and yawn-inducing pick within those parameters is the best play, and for their electoral chances they might be right.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

LegendaryFrog posted:

He is making the bet that picking the most qualified (defined squarely as "is a governor or senator") black woman will be more electorally meaningful in the era of BLM than picking someone visibly better on criminal justice reform.

It's a disappointing pick, but not remotely a surprising one, given how many "it's the safe choice" boxes it checks.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/elections/2019/11/22/joe-biden-tells-immigration-activist-you-should-vote-trump/4273814002/

https://ellabakercenter.org/blog/2014/11/californias-prison-labor-problem

gotta love a ticket that's split between telling you, personally, that you should vote for Trump if you don't like concentration camps for kids, and telling you, personally, that minorities must be kept in prison for use as slave labor.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Timeless Appeal posted:

lol this is gonna be the defense isn't it? "Actually when she bragged about threatening a homeless woman's kids it was for everyone's own good and those kids deserved it."

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Ultimately, the VP pick won't matter. Most voters are likely to consider Harris inoffensive and boring, but her selection will mollify party factions that were advocating for a minority pick. This was the campaign's last real chance to do something exciting or surprising and they passed on it, which makes sense given they feel like they're in a comfortable lead heading into the election.

Possible they feel "black woman" is exciting in and of itself, so making the most obvious and yawn-inducing pick within those parameters is the best play, and for their electoral chances they might be right.

This is the same poo poo people said about Obama picking Biden in 2008 and now he's the loving nominee so just El OH EL at the completely myopic vision here

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Bass got lucky they didn't do to her what they did to Abrams, though. I don't like Abrams but shaming her on national TV was cruel.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

rscott posted:

This is the same poo poo people said about Obama picking Biden in 2008 and now he's the loving nominee so just El OH EL at the completely myopic vision here

I was talking about the campaign's odds in this election. Naturally if she's the VP she's potentially the future front runner for nomination.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Ultimately the biggest harm of the pick is that it makes Kamala either the automatic frontrunner in 4-8 years or, worse, the straight-up automatic incumbent, no primary required, if Biden croaks mid-term. At the same time the pick also was never not gonna be an absolute loving ghoul and these same things would still be the case then.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Wicked Them Beats posted:

I was talking about the campaign's odds in this election. Naturally if she's the VP she's potentially the future front runner for nomination.

Yes, that's why you can't see further than the end of your nose, hope this helps!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
we can all agree Warren killed her dog after hearing she was out, right?

ColonelMuttonchops
Feb 18, 2011

Young Orc

sexpig by night posted:

we can all agree Warren killed her dog after hearing she was out, right?

In remembrance, the warren family dog will be interred inside of Big Structural Bailey.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jamie_agust/status/1293287227838074880?s=20

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Oh Snapple! posted:

Ultimately the biggest harm of the pick is that it makes Kamala either the automatic frontrunner in 4-8 years or, worse, the straight-up automatic incumbent, no primary required, if Biden croaks mid-term. At the same time the pick also was never not gonna be an absolute loving ghoul and these same things would still be the case then.

It’s especially funny in the respect that they chose the least popular and engaging contender outside of Beto O’Rourke. I wonder just how low her numbers will be when Joe bites it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ColonelMuttonchops posted:

In remembrance, the warren family dog will be interred inside of Big Structural Bailey.

we're now in Big Structural Mourning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/JillFilipovic/status/1293292812189007873?s=20

This poo poo is like a goddamn tik for them.