Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

Proud Christian Mom posted:

in the midst of a massive civil rights upheavel over police brutality and system injustice he chose the cop

Who else did you expect white grandpa to call, given the circumstances?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Internet Wizard posted:

How braindead do you have to be to think Copmala Harris is progressive?

I mean you could look up her senate voting record for one...she is pretty progressive going off of that alone.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1291917587928948736?s=20

couple of dudes in their early 20s have discovered Phil Collins in the best possible way, completely blind.

This put "In The Air Tonight" as top 3 on iTunes for sales that week, and apparently 4th most purchased song on all platforms for the week of Aug 1-8.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

so glad i did this in the primary here today

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Internet Wizard posted:

How braindead do you have to be to think Copmala Harris is progressive?

Sliding scale. You don't get elected as a senator from California by being a super coppy cop cop, just a cop.

"We" online folks don't think of Kamala-type politicians as progressives because we're used to Bernie and AOC being loving awesome on a daily basis.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
My official response:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

facialimpediment posted:

Sliding scale. You don't get elected as a senator from California by being a super coppy cop cop, just a cop.

"We" online folks don't think of Kamala-type politicians as progressives because we're used to Bernie and AOC being loving awesome on a daily basis.

Harris has staked out progressive positions in the past, such as co-sponsoring Medicare For All.

Of course she's also slid back from those positions constantly, so

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Eh ok. Not ideal but a safe choice.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Harris has staked out progressive positions in the past, such as co-sponsoring Medicare For All.

Of course she's also slid back from those positions constantly, so

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Eh ok. Not ideal but a safe choice.

Trump campaign: SHE'S BERNIE

https://twitter.com/LarryMadowo/status/1293285451357466624

Donnie's got a hilarious nothing and they're going to try to turn a loving cop into AOC :laugh:.

the yellow dart
Jul 19, 2004

King of rings, armlocks, hugs, and our hearts

facialimpediment posted:

Donnie's got a hilarious nothing and they're going to try to turn a loving cop into AOC :laugh:.

From the way that is written, outside of maybe the first sentence they just had a blank space where the presumptive VP pick would be and filled it in with "Kamala Harris." Biden could have picked Joe Lieberman's slowly wilting body and this campaign response would have been virtually identical.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

orange juche posted:

https://twitter.com/ava/status/1291917587928948736?s=20

couple of dudes in their early 20s have discovered Phil Collins in the best possible way, completely blind.

This put "In The Air Tonight" as top 3 on iTunes for sales that week, and apparently 4th most purchased song on all platforms for the week of Aug 1-8.

The one where they listen to Dolly Parton's "Jolene" is also pretty choice.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
guys calm down this secures California and the votes of a great number of people in the electorally irrelevant south

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Madurai posted:

Phil Collins is now #2 in live rankings behind WAP.

I can't loving believe it.

But then again that drum breakdown is insane.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

guys calm down this secures California and the votes of a great number of people in the electorally irrelevant south

... what the gently caress?

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014
I know I'm becoming a old man buzzkill, because I'm more disappointed at the idea that modern kids don't go digging for older music anymore.

In fact I have a whole spiel about how the relationship between music and youth has changed so much in the age of streaming age altog--

Knives Amilli fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Aug 11, 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Knives Amilli posted:

I know I'm becoming a old man buzzkill, because I'm more disappointed at the idea that modern kids don't go digging for older music anymore.

They do, probably more than we did. It's weird having half of my middle schoolers listening to dad rock. Like, I don't get the appeal of what is going on these days but come on, find your own thing guys.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Madurai posted:

This has been one of the things I've been watching on youtube lately...people reacting to music/movies I like, who claim to have never heard/seen them. It's a nice time waster. I've gotten a kick out of these guys a couple of times, but hadn't seen the Phil Collins video.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Godholio posted:

This has been one of the things I've been watching on youtube lately...people reacting to music/movies I like, who claim to have never heard/seen them. It's a nice time waster. I've gotten a kick out of these guys a couple of times, but hadn't seen the Phil Collins video.

The Tracy Chapman Fast Car ones are pretty good too. You can see the people who actually listen to lyrics

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/kajeriksen/status/1291815523760529408?s=21

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1293288084604440583?s=20

Just throwing everything against the wall and hoping something will stick. I am sure Rush will have the true facts that this Biden-Harris ticket is really a Marxist-Leninist ticket and actually Bernie & AOC

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Godholio posted:

So I will readily acknowledge that a couple of young black kids have probably never heard any Phil Collins or Genesis before. However, at the risk of being an curmudgeon, I can’t stand people pretending to “react” to things for YouTube views, which is what most of the videos in the category are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Hekk posted:

So I will readily acknowledge that a couple of young black kids have probably never heard any Phil Collins or Genesis before. However, at the risk of being an curmudgeon, I can’t stand people pretending to “react” to things for YouTube views, which is what most of the videos in the category are.

There's definitely a bunch of trash out there.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1293290710310047744

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Tweet of the day so far:

https://twitter.com/_pem_pem/status/1293293019060473856

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
i was hoping for john kasich for full chaos 2020

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hekk posted:

Yup, and the stupid over-the-top clown expressions they get.

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.

Hekk posted:

I got a huge kick out of watching those React videos of a group of kids playing The Last of Us 1 for the first time and seeing the bit where Joel's daughter dies in the first ten minutes.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

in the midst of a massive civil rights upheavel over police brutality and system injustice he chose the cop

Because she's a cop, not in spite of it. This smells like typical Democrat "well, they can't attack us for being anti-police if we nominate a prosecutor" while Republicans will absolutely continue to attack them for being anti-police.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Because she's a cop, not in spite of it. This smells like typical Democrat "well, they can't attack us for being anti-police if we nominate a prosecutor" while Republicans will absolutely continue to attack them for being anti-police.

There's a difference between "can't attack us" and "the attacks will not be credible." Like claims that Joe Biden is being possessed by the spirit of Bernie Sanders. That's an attack but nobody will buy it who isn't an OAN watcher already.

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

Madurai posted:

Earlier on it was just one of the brothers, and his reactions to Peggy Lee (Fever), Radiohead (Creep), and the Lynne/Petty/Winwood/Prince tribute to George Harrison (While My Guitar Gently Weeps) are all pretty stellar and appear to be genuine. Especially when Prince tosses his guitar into the stratosphere.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

There's a difference between "can't attack us" and "the attacks will not be credible." Like claims that Joe Biden is being possessed by the spirit of Bernie Sanders. That's an attack but nobody will buy it who isn't an OAN watcher already.

The elusive swing voter that needs convincing that Trump campaign messaging isn't credible in 2020?

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1292851247956004864

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

I think we're generally discounting how not-online and politically uninterested a regular Voter is. Most of them are just learning that Biden picked a woman. And she's BLACK?!? HOLY poo poo A BLACK WOMAN VP?! INDIAN TOO?!

I think it would be hysterical if she's given the job of basically being the AG of airing out all the non-criminal corruption of the past four years. The VP never has a real portfolio, so gently caress it, lean into the cop poo poo. Have her investigate every drat thing from the past and publish a weekly corruption newsletter of all the trash the administration did behind closed doors.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Knives Amilli posted:

In fact I have a whole spiel about how the relationship between music and youth has changed so much in the age of streaming age altog--

I'm just glad someone figured out how to monetize and share the best part of having kids for those of us who don't

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Stultus Maximus posted:

Yeah from a purely Presidential electoral standpoint Harris is a solid choice, doesn't move the needle much in either way but unlikely to be a net negative, especially with your average older Dem voter.

Still feels like this is all going to end in a Ford/Carter style administration of lost opportunities and milquetoast efforts to 'return to normalcy after the long national nightmare.' Probably the only hope is if the Dems manage to retake the Senate and the Bernie/AOC types are able to exert enough pressure on the rest of the party to get some actual meaningful bills passed.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Yeah from a purely Presidential electoral standpoint Harris is a solid choice, doesn't move the needle much in either way but unlikely to be a net negative, especially with your average older Dem voter.

Still feels like this is all going to end in a Ford/Carter style administration of lost opportunities and milquetoast efforts to 'return to normalcy after the long national nightmare.' Probably the only hope is if the Dems manage to retake the Senate and the Bernie/AOC types are able to exert enough pressure on the rest of the party to get some actual meaningful bills passed.

That was always true no matter who got the nomination.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Stultus Maximus posted:

That was always true no matter who got the nomination.

I should have put more emphasis on the second half of that sentence...the Democrats can definitely retake everything and then piss it away in two years with no meaningful achievements besides getting RBG's replacement confirmed.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Suicide Watch posted:

The Tracy Chapman Fast Car ones are pretty good too. You can see the people who actually listen to lyrics

The other night the early 20something girl that lives in the house behind me had friends over for an outdoor campfire/get drunk get together and around midnight I heard them all singing along to Train - Drops of Jupiter. That's not the post I meant to quote but whatever.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

My son regularly requests me to play The Band’s cover of Springsteen’s Atlantic City when we are in the car together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

Irish people taste testing things was my favorite from a couple years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B70e-01JBbA