Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

I've been trying to find non-GW stuff too. Specifically a replacement for Martian Ironearth for my Star Wars Legion clone troopers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Funzo posted:

I've been trying to find non-GW stuff too. Specifically a replacement for Martian Ironearth for my Star Wars Legion clone troopers.

Vallejo red oxide paste.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/vallejo-red-oxide-paste-texture-effect-30ml-bottle-model-railroad-mold-accessory-26236

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Does anyone use weathering powders? I bought some neat Secret Weapon colored powders for rust/dirt/oxidation effects and I wondered if we had any resident dirt wizards I could learn from.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

Verisimilidude posted:

What are some alternatives to GW texture paints? The GW textures are very expensive and I'm not sure a single bottle can cover an entire army.

AK Interactive diorama. They're great.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Does anyone use weathering powders? I bought some neat Secret Weapon colored powders for rust/dirt/oxidation effects and I wondered if we had any resident dirt wizards I could learn from.

I'd also be interested in this; I impulse bought a few of them off ebay and have tested them on a bit of terrain but I'm not confident on using them on models yet. Been meaning to ask but keep forgetting. Also the lot I bought includes "patina blue" and honestly I've no real idea when I'd ever use that one. (It also had more regular colours for the record, it was a lot of a green, rust, red brick, yellow earth and slate grey which seem like pigments I'll use more often than blue...)

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Copper and bronze both get a blue-green patina when exposed to the elements. How often you'd use the patina effect depends on how often you want to have weathered copper/bronze.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

TTerrible posted:

Vallejo do a range of them, it comes in giant tubs. None of them crack though, as far as I remember.

They make some that do, don't come in the larger tubs though.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
You can buy crackle medium and just paint or slop more texture over it if you've gotta have that crunch. It's cheap and readily available. I've got a 4-oz vat of Distress and it was less than ten bucks. It'll last me until it gets completely aired out and useless.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

Perfect, thanks!

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

A lot of crackle mediums don't really give texture, they just pull apart the layer of paint you put on under them

Golden Crackle Paste is something you can mix with fine sand and paint to make something like a Citadel crackle paint

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I have never in my life gotten crackle medium to work. I've put it under, over, mixed in, nothing works.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

EdsTeioh posted:

I have never in my life gotten crackle medium to work. I've put it under, over, mixed in, nothing works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3b8qq9Mjpc

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Can vouch for Vallejo's texture paint. They are quite amazing, easy to work with, and cheap compared to GW. However they don't have a crackling effect paint as far as I can tell, so for this I use Green Stuff World's "Mojave Mudcrack" and it works well enough for me!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Valejo sells a clear crackle medium, I'm guessing (as I haven't tried it) that you could mix it with their texture paint to create a proper replacement for GW crackle technical paints.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Bucnasti posted:

Valejo sells a clear crackle medium, I'm guessing (as I haven't tried it) that you could mix it with their texture paint to create a proper replacement for GW crackle technical paints.
It doesn't work like that. The video I posted above explains how to make your own crackle paints

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Well in trying to go for something like this:

I've gotten something like this as the result:

Used Mephiston Red for the red parts, but might need to dull it down more before. Possibly also use a different shade of gold for the trim. Only my fifth mini i've painted though, so I'm kinda pleased, but it's nothing compared to all y'alls work.

Edit: Ran through impcat and yeah, should have gone with Khorne Red and Balthasar Gold over Mephiston Red and Liberator Gold. Don't have Khorne or a substitute right now, so I'll have to work with what I have.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 11, 2020

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
Choppy bois done!

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Xenoletum posted:

Well in trying to go for something like this:

I've gotten something like this as the result:

Used Mephiston Red for the red parts, but might need to dull it down more before. Possibly also use a different shade of gold for the trim. Only my fifth mini i've painted though, so I'm kinda pleased, but it's nothing compared to all y'alls work.

Edit: Ran through impcat and yeah, should have gone with Khorne Red and Balthasar Gold over Mephiston Red and Liberator Gold. Don't have Khorne or a substitute right now, so I'll have to work with what I have.

This owns imo! I got my first minis this weekend and have only assembled some so far, praying my attempt at painting is remotely as successful! great work I think!

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

EmmyOk posted:

This owns imo! I got my first minis this weekend and have only assembled some so far, praying my attempt at painting is remotely as successful! great work I think!

Thanks! I redid the gold with a darker one and did the highlight in the same gold, and removed a bit of the red on the arms and back of the legs. Looks MUCH better.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Furism posted:

Can vouch for Vallejo's texture paint. They are quite amazing, easy to work with, and cheap compared to GW. However they don't have a crackling effect paint as far as I can tell, so for this I use Green Stuff World's "Mojave Mudcrack" and it works well enough for me!

This looks great! Thankfully I know the Blick near me sells Golden Crackle Paste so I'll probably pick up a jug of that. I think I want my orks on some kind of mars red crackle base.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
New warband/project started: nudist party dwarves

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

This is a pretty cool color scheme.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

where do these exist for purchase? owns

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Thanks! It's just one of the Chosen Axes.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
I just picked up a Vallejo acrylic medium pigment binder by misstake.. thought it was another bottle in the store. Please advise me what I can use it for? I understand it's slow drying? Can I use it for example with white paint to get a smoother coat? My whites regardless of make all dry ugly and lumpy and are hard to control when mixed with water.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

So this was my oath last month, but I made a group shot with the actual Possessed included in my Mordheim Cult of the Possessed! Now to put them on the cobblestone bases...

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MRLOLAST posted:

I just picked up a Vallejo acrylic medium pigment binder by misstake.. thought it was another bottle in the store. Please advise me what I can use it for? I understand it's slow drying? Can I use it for example with white paint to get a smoother coat? My whites regardless of make all dry ugly and lumpy and are hard to control when mixed with water.

Isn't it for securing weathering pigments?

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Cat Face Joe posted:

Isn't it for securing weathering pigments?

I have no idea, I tried googling but I didn't understand any of the explanations. It says slower dry time on the back.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

MRLOLAST posted:

I have no idea, I tried googling but I didn't understand any of the explanations. It says slower dry time on the back.

Sounds like retarder. You use it for wet-blending.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant
Well I finally went for it with one of the Indomitus minis, pretty pleased, even if I was a little too hamfisted with the contrast brush. Need a finer tip on the brush for accuracy, but otherwise, not too terrible for a beginner?

Now to base it.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Xenoletum posted:

Well I finally went for it with one of the Indomitus minis, pretty pleased, even if I was a little too hamfisted with the contrast brush. Need a finer tip on the brush for accuracy, but otherwise, not too terrible for a beginner?

Now to base it.

run a nuln/agrax earthshade over that entire thing and he'd look super cool, imho

you might have to pick out the blue again a little but it'll be worth it

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Not the best pics but I'm happy with stuff. I'm going to get a light box once this is all done and take some decent army shots

Coldstar Commander with missile and shield gen

And most of the stuff I've painted during quarantine

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Xenoletum posted:

Now to base it.

What blue is this because it looks pretty awesome! I want to get that color for some cool glow effects too.

Not bad for a first try. Yeah some finer tip brushes really help a lot with accuracy. Some styles call for super neat painting, some can be a little messy. It all depends on what you're going for. If you do it right, a tiny bit of spill over in the cracks for accent stuff kinda looks like the cracks are glowing.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

Spanish Manlove posted:

What blue is this because it looks pretty awesome! I want to get that color for some cool glow effects too.

Not bad for a first try. Yeah some finer tip brushes really help a lot with accuracy. Some styles call for super neat painting, some can be a little messy. It all depends on what you're going for. If you do it right, a tiny bit of spill over in the cracks for accent stuff kinda looks like the cracks are glowing.

The blue is Baharroth Blue, then layered with the Aethermatic Blue contrast paint. It’ll act more as a shade in the end.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Xenoletum posted:

Now to base it.

Yeah, this looks great! Echoing what others said, if you want it to look extra crisp, you could go back over the metallic parts to cover some of the blue bleed (though I think it looks fine) and then do a wash all over with nuln oil. And then to go the extra mile, do a little more metal and blue color to highlight. You don't need any extra paints to get a little more depth (except nuln if you don't have it) It's definitely a job worth being proud of!

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

I had some Agrax lying around so I hit any parts that would get a shadow with it, after hitting a zenithal-ish highlight of canoptek alloy.

Eldritch BiLast fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 12, 2020

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?
Looks a lot better, nice job. What are you thinking for the base? Grey rubble/ash waste type of look would be a nice contrast to the tan and blue, I feel.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Hell yeah

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

So this was my oath last month, but I made a group shot with the actual Possessed included in my Mordheim Cult of the Possessed! Now to put them on the cobblestone bases...

These are fantastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Painting my first 40k mini which is an Intercessor I got for free from the Warhammer store

I wanted to go another level of blue for highlight but the lightest coat I could do without splattering was basically the width of the backpack so it's kind of hard to get that thin spot highlight going. Is this a function of the fat 0.5mm nozzle on my Badger 105 or can I get a finer result through thinning and fiddling with psi?

If the former, well, it was half the price of an Iwata Eclipse so what can you do but does anyone know if the 0.3mm conversion kit for the 105 is good?

e: painting details with a size 3 synthetic brush I got in a value pack at the art store that sheds a hair every time I rinse it in water is going to drive me insane

Eej fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Aug 12, 2020