Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

luxury handset posted:

under the right circumstances (conclave dlc, supernatural events enabled, and your character is a lunatic) you can appoint a horse as an advisor. this horse is glitterhoof and they are wonderful and they are the precursor to all horse based shenanigans in the game

When I went for immortality I made my horse chancellor immortal as well and eventually got him crowned as pope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Vichan posted:

When I went for immortality I made my horse chancellor immortal as well and eventually got him crowned as pope.

When I went for immortality I was confronted by an immortal horse who cut off my head, and it turned out I was not as immortal as I had thought.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Does anyone know if CK3 uses WASD camera controls?

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grevlek posted:

Does anyone know if CK3 uses WASD camera controls?

Idk but it better

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I'm pretty sure a dev confirmed it does

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

It uses the same engine as Imperator: Rome and that has WASD camera controls.

Grevlek
Jan 11, 2004
Okay thanks for the replies. I've been playing Paradox games since EU 2 but them slowly adding games that add WASD while the legacy games don't 'so people don't have to relearn hotkeys' is infuriating. Get with the times people.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
these vids are coming thick and fast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kst6b4bV1yA

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

fuf posted:

Same

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

It uses the same engine as Imperator: Rome and that has WASD camera controls.

Good.

Does that have colour-blind mode, and if not is there any word on if this will?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

fuf posted:

The whole plots/hooks/secrets system looks so good. If you have enough "plot power", you now have a 95% chance to advance your plot progression each month, with 12 units of plot progression necessary to fire the plot. No longer having 5000% plot power because absolutely everybody hated the character you want dead, but the plot never firing due to RNG.

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Arbite posted:

Good.

Does that have colour-blind mode, and if not is there any word on if this will?

No and there's probably not gonna be.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
I remember when Empire: TW added WASD and I thought it was the most mind blowing development for strategy games. “This is the future!”

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ham posted:

No and there's probably not gonna be.

That's a shame.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think I'm one of like three people that actually liked Empire:TW. Setting up my lines to catch the enemy in the cross fire was good fun. Also ship combat was great when it actually happened and I didn't have to try and chase a much faster ship in unfavorable winds.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

BigglesSWE posted:

I remember when Empire: TW added WASD and I thought it was the most mind blowing development for strategy games. “This is the future!”

Makes it easier to switch to Steam Controller which is the real future for strategy games.

Sad about lack of color-blind mode. There's hope for more consideration of color-blind people in general. I see many icons are monochrome. There's more animation. So maybe enemy armies would be highlighted by something else apart from color?..

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
New CK3 dev diary on mod making

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Torrannor posted:

The whole plots/hooks/secrets system looks so good. If you have enough "plot power", you now have a 95% chance to advance your plot progression each month, with 12 units of plot progression necessary to fire the plot. No longer having 5000% plot power because absolutely everybody hated the character you want dead, but the plot never firing due to RNG.

I guess this mean plots have a minimum of 12 months to fire (without random plot advance events)?

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Nice. HoI4 modders have done amazing things with custom gui stuff so glad it's in this one too.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
That's not quite right - there are 10 progress boxes and the chance to advance each month might be capped at 90% (that's what they got in the video when assassinating the child king so it estimated 11 months when they started that plot.) The visible 95%s are the chances to succeed and get away with it when the kill event fires.

Definitely better than the CK2 system though. And various non-murder things being combined into personal schemes you can run in parallel with intrigue schemes is a great change.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 11, 2020

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
this seems good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yWsiN4iQI0

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Paradox is really upping their advertising game with this release.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

FreudianSlippers posted:

I think I'm one of like three people that actually liked Empire:TW. Setting up my lines to catch the enemy in the cross fire was good fun. Also ship combat was great when it actually happened and I didn't have to try and chase a much faster ship in unfavorable winds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTJShOkINkw

Actually, Empire Total War had a lot of lasting popularity. It's only relatively recently that it's fallen off

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Kaza42 posted:

Actually, Empire Total War had a lot of lasting popularity. It's only relatively recently that it's fallen off

Medieval 2 has a surprising amount of staying power for a 14 year old title. Probably cause of how huge the modding community is for it. I used to play it a ton myself until I got into pdox games.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Zeron posted:

Medieval 2 has a surprising amount of staying power for a 14 year old title. Probably cause of how huge the modding community is for it. I used to play it a ton myself until I got into pdox games.

I like how you can see the jumps in medieval 2's player count when big mods update or release

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Kaza42 posted:

I guess people enjoy the grand scope of the campaign despite the bugs. CA should make another stab at the era. Imagine how much better it would do if the game was actually good!

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

yeah this rocks. i'm pretty familiar with the era (due mostly to CK2) and i watched the whole thing. interested to see what they come out with for 1066

Ham
Apr 30, 2009

You're BALD!

Kaza42 posted:

I like how you can see the jumps in medieval 2's player count when big mods update or release

I know this is a given for fans of the franchise, but seeing how Rome 2 and Three Kingdoms performed....Medieval 3 (when they announce and launch it :3) will 100% be their most popular game to date, by a huge margin. I really hope they stick the landing on that.

Arbite posted:

That's a shame.

It is, and I've started pestering PDX devs about it.

Ham fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 12, 2020

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

FreudianSlippers posted:

I'm with you on this. I liked ETW quite a bit - it's by far my most-played TW game on Steam, sitting on just over 200hrs. (That being said, RTW would've been played more, back in the day) I loved the naval combat, and actually got quite good at it - against the AI, at least. I loved just having one ship (a fifth-rate or maybe a fourth-rate, I don't recall. Something quick/light, but able to pack a reasonable punch) making hit-and-run attacks on AI fleets and managing to take them out solo, with chain shot at first, then blowing the guts out by shooting them point-blank in the rear. :allears:
...drat, now I just want to play a game that's a more fleshed-out ETW naval experience. :(

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Major Isoor posted:

...drat, now I just want to play a game that's a more fleshed-out ETW naval experience. :(

Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail sounds made for you.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Ultimate Admiral Age of Sail sounds made for you.

Oh wow! Yeah that looks very interesting! I've wishlisted it and I'll have to look into it more, when I get home. Thanks!

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Doing a cheat play through of the game as my final run. I have conquered Rome, ousted the Pope, established Satanism as a formal religion after assassinating the mayor who was the high priest in charge, and then formed a Satanic Empire that stretches from England through France, all the way through Italy. And then the Satanic Pope “listener” declared a Black Crusade on my vassal controlled Italy. All by 925AD. Lmao.

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Speaking of plots, is my impression accurate that in CK2 it is a million times better to have 1 80% plotter than 80 1% plotters?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Fuzzy McDoom posted:

Speaking of plots, is my impression accurate that in CK2 it is a million times better to have 1 80% plotter than 80 1% plotters?

If they have exceptionally low intrigue or some negative traits then they're a liability, yeah.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The more people you have in the plot, the more likely you are to have one of them be a drunkard and blab about the whole thing.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I guess people enjoy the grand scope of the campaign despite the bugs. CA should make another stab at the era. Imagine how much better it would do if the game was actually good!

I think the map itself is the weakest point of Empire. Having to include big chunks of the rest of the world (which makes total sense due to the era) made Europe feel kind of small and lackluster. Mainland France consisted of two regions: France and Alsace. An English player could obliterate them in no time.

I felt that it was actually in combat where Empire excelled. The way firearms worked felt very good and natural, and was lightyears beyond the spongy firearms of Medieval II. A line of men could be absolutely massacred in no time by some well timed salvoes, and it felt very rewarding. Boat combat was also new and fresh, and was very good for being the first try.

In the end, Empire was made better in most regards in Napoleon. But it was a good start and I wouldn’t mind going back if they applied some of the lessons they’ve learned since.

To be a bit more on topic: I very much look forward to CK III and hope it’s a bit easier to wrap yourself around things this time around. I feel paradox has generally been better at making things user friendly starting with EU4, but Imperator was a step backwards in that regard.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Ham posted:

I know this is a given for fans of the franchise, but seeing how Rome 2 and Three Kingdoms performed....Medieval 3 (when they announce and launch it :3) will 100% be their most popular game to date, by a huge margin. I really hope they stick the landing on that.

I have a ton of Medieval 2 playtime, it's by far my most played historical TW game. But mainly because I played the Third Age Middle Earth mod to death. They can release Medieval 3, it will never replace Total Warhammer 2 as my most played TW game.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Napoleon also had a good sense to include few smaller campaigns. Even the "Grand Campaign" is much smaller than Europe main campaign. And you have "story" campaigns in Italy and Egypt that are fun and digestible.

In many ways, TW as a series lives on people's childish dreams. It's not just "what if I'm ruling the ancient kingdom", it's "what if I'm ruling that kingdom but can also like zoom in at individual soldiers in a battle, and the map is huge, and you can conquer all of that, and the timespan is centuries". Empire and Rome 2 are the epitome of that; Rome 2 was eventually fixed but it still suffers from schizophrenic design. You decide the course of history but also nurse family offspring and manually resolve meaningless border skirmishes in a middle of nowhere. Napoleon and Three Kingdom are much more manageable and limited in scope, they're both fought in a single generation give or take, they feel like the right kind of scope.

Also not saying it's bad in itself. Warhammer 2 is a proof that they can make that kind of bloated mess and it would be entertaining. I'm not sure anyone finishes their TWW2 mortal empires campaigns (I've finished one as Not Joan of Arc and it was extremely anti-climactic as most of the world was conquered by Bretonia who then agreed to confederate) but people seem to enjoy it a lot.

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 12, 2020

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

Just a heads up if you people don’t know; tomorrow (13th) one can claim the new Troy TW completely free at Epic Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I will honestly die on the hill that recent Total War games maps are just too loving big. The manageable map size is what makes Shogun 2 my personal favorite (and imo the absolute best one for co-op campaigns)