Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps
When Bret Hart passes away in 5 or 10 years time, does he get a memorial Raw?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

britishbornandbread posted:

He drat well better, he’s a top 5 ever for me

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He easily gets a lot of memorializing, WWE's not dumb enough to scoot past the death of one of their most iconic stars like that.

Not like getting a whole RAW, but he'd get a big send-off in the first quarter, and "Classic Hitman" moments from his career up to his last appearance as bumpers going in or out of commercials. More than what most guys have gotten, but not like a "he died suddenly while on our roster" level 'pause everything' show. Lots of guys doing second-rope elbows, atomic drops, side russian leg sweeps, legdrops to the groin, guys doing the hard camera "eyyyyyy" thing he did, leather jackets out the rear end, the works, but the story goes on. At least one person probably does the victory roll finish, maybe they get cute and do the Owen "sit back on my rear end" reversal with it.

Only person I imagine there'll be a full-stop memorial RAW for at this point is Vince himself, unless, of course, someone unexpectedly dies young of something the WWE can't be blamed for. But you can't really predict that sort of stuff, so assume nothing of the sort will happen until it does.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 9, 2020

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
vince will get an open casket funeral live on raw and will have a video will leading into an inheritance angle

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

britishbornandbread posted:

Stu was pretty broken down, and he lived to 88, and he likely smoked. Bret will probably be around for 20 or more.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Stu was pretty broken down, and he lived to 88, and he likely smoked. Bret will probably be around for 20 or more.

Not sure if Stu had as much brain damage as Bret. Shitloads of concussions AND a stroke.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question:

Does anybody have an armchair psychiatrist opinion on why Stephanie is the chosen golden child, (who made it to her position at the top in no way at all due to nepotism), and Shane gets a 4 word tweet on his birthday if he's lucky.

(And the obvious "Vince wants to gently caress her and even proposed an on screen storyline saying so" doesn't count.)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question:

Does anybody have an armchair psychiatrist opinion on why Stephanie is the chosen golden child, (who made it to her position at the top in no way at all due to nepotism), and Shane gets a 4 word tweet on his birthday if he's lucky.

(And the obvious "Vince wants to gently caress her and even proposed an on screen storyline saying so" doesn't count.)

My guess is Vince sees more of himself in her

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i'm not allowed to post psychiatry on here anymore no matter how much you ask for my opinion. i'm very sorry

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question:

Shane was worse at his job and Stephanie married Vince's favorite child.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Shane just couldn't play the backstage politics as well as his sister did and his business/creative ideas were mostly terrible. There's a reason why he hosed off to China for years, and when they brought him back they made it very clear he was just an on-screen talent with no executive powers.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Does the spot in Japanese wrassles where two wrestlers stop to take turns to chop or in some cases kick each other have an actual name? Since its function is usually to show where the two combatants are currently in the match and normally ends when one of them is knocked down, I’ve always referred to it as a ”test of fighting spirit”, kinda like the ol’ match-starting test of strength spot. But maybe it has a real name

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

extradite THIS! posted:

Does the spot in Japanese wrassles where two wrestlers stop to take turns to chop or in some cases kick each other have an actual name? Since its function is usually to show where the two combatants are currently in the match and normally ends when one of them is knocked down, I’ve always referred to it as a ”test of fighting spirit”, kinda like the ol’ match-starting test of strength spot. But maybe it has a real name

fire pro world has it labelled "Strike Exchange" and i like that name

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Cameo posted:

He easily gets a lot of memorializing, WWE's not dumb enough to scoot past the death of one of their most iconic stars like that.

Not like getting a whole RAW, but he'd get a big send-off in the first quarter, and "Classic Hitman" moments from his career up to his last appearance as bumpers going in or out of commercials. More than what most guys have gotten, but not like a "he died suddenly while on our roster" level 'pause everything' show. Lots of guys doing second-rope elbows, atomic drops, side russian leg sweeps, legdrops to the groin, guys doing the hard camera "eyyyyyy" thing he did, leather jackets out the rear end, the works, but the story goes on. At least one person probably does the victory roll finish, maybe they get cute and do the Owen "sit back on my rear end" reversal with it.

Only person I imagine there'll be a full-stop memorial RAW for at this point is Vince himself, unless, of course, someone unexpectedly dies young of something the WWE can't be blamed for. But you can't really predict that sort of stuff, so assume nothing of the sort will happen until it does.

Bret definitely gets the ten bell salute at the opening, they might even do a main event memorial thing with Michaels or Austin talking about him, presumably trotting Nattie out for a big featured match where she wins with the five moves. Probably over Charlotte.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Gaz-L posted:

Bret definitely gets the ten bell salute at the opening, they might even do a main event memorial thing with Michaels or Austin talking about him, presumably trotting Nattie out for a big featured match where she wins with the five moves. Probably over Charlotte.

Charlotte cuts a promo: Bret isn't in heaven, Nattie. He's down there. In hell.

Nattie and Charlotte have a match, Vince changes the booking at the last minute to Charlotte losing clean, tapping out to a sharpshooter.

Also, Charlotte is meant to be the babyface.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Is there a reason NJPW seemingly never runs the gorgeous KBS Hall in Kyoto apart from one Fantasticamania date per year? Is the reason very simply ”it’s too small”?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

extradite THIS! posted:

Is there a reason NJPW seemingly never runs the gorgeous KBS Hall in Kyoto apart from one Fantasticamania date per year? Is the reason very simply ”it’s too small”?

Yeah, it's capacity is sub 1000 and there's a venue in Kyoto they can do 1400 in. Is a shame though, love watching shows from there.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
This is gonna sound random as hell, but:

Did anyone here ever order VHS tapes from ECW before their split with RF Video that started in Summer '95 and lasted about a year?

I ask because the split, as it played out both on TV and in the newsletters, never made any sense to me or matched any real-life order experiences I'd heard of. I can dig up the back and forth in the letters section of the Observer if need be, but the way that it was explained at the time was that RF was actually doing fulfillment for orders that ECW took and disputes arose over pay and Rob being scapegoated for late orders. But my understanding was always that Rob had just cut a deal where he paid ECW some agreed-upon fee and/or percentage for the rights to sell their stuff himself. Anyone I've ever talked to that ordered directly from ECW, both before the split and after the reconciliation, though, always got what everyone calls the "white box" tapes with printed labels; Rob was using regular retail blank tapes with handwritten labels that were dubbed down a generation because ECW just sent him the same thing they'd send a consumer. (And for TV and PPVs, Rob just taped them off TV.)

Also weird: There was no gap in Fancams, with a huge dump of new titles coming out after the reconciliation that were shot during the split. While Gabe Sapolsky shot these and he worked for ECW, everyone's always understood the rights to those to be wholly owned by RF. (As opposed to being part of whatever insane binding perpetual licensing agreement he got Heyman to sign off on at some point in the relationship, which was pretty ironclad since at this point he's clearly not in any legal danger for selling the ECW-produced stuff in spite of the bankruptcy and IP sale to WWE.)

Anyway, to boil this down: Did RF ever fulfill orders that were received by ECW proper, or was the claim that he did part of a bizarre work to scapegoat him for late orders with the idea that they'd publicly reconcile after a year? All of the above and it overlapping with a TV angle kind of suggests "work."

davidbix fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Aug 11, 2020

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they came in these and had the event name printed in black font on the end label, right? i think i had a handful of these but i never bought from rf directly. ironically, i got a good handful of mine from mykill and deca from the f4w board.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
1) are there any wrestlers in New Japan that if they crossed over to WWE, Vince would seriously push? I'm aware WWE sucks rear end and stop start books everybody but who are two wrestlers from New Japan that might succeed in WWE's garbage system? EVIL and Jay White?

2) I remember watching an old wrestling show (Nitro?) where the commentators blamed the altitude of the city for some wrestlers poor performance. Did I dream this or was this in Denver?

3) in a previous iteration of this thread, goons described tropes in wrestling they enjoyed and never got old (such as, heels turning face by having principles). Can I ask this same question again? Also, what tropes in wrestling suck (crawling to the ropes in a sharpshooter, etc) and you don't want to see again?

4) what is everyone's general opinion of Drew McIntyre as WWE champion? IMO he was one of the worst NXT champions but has been absolutely killing it as WWE champion despite wrestling in mostly empty arenas.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

1) are there any wrestlers in New Japan that if they crossed over to WWE, Vince would seriously push? I'm aware WWE sucks rear end and stop start books everybody but who are two wrestlers from New Japan that might succeed in WWE's garbage system? EVIL and Jay White?

2) I remember watching an old wrestling show (Nitro?) where the commentators blamed the altitude of the city for some wrestlers poor performance. Did I dream this or was this in Denver?

3) in a previous iteration of this thread, goons described tropes in wrestling they enjoyed and never got old (such as, heels turning face by having principles). Can I ask this same question again? Also, what tropes in wrestling suck (crawling to the ropes in a sharpshooter, etc) and you don't want to see again?

4) what is everyone's general opinion of Drew McIntyre as WWE champion? IMO he was one of the worst NXT champions but has been absolutely killing it as WWE champion despite wrestling in mostly empty arenas.
1) Maybe, *MAYBE* Jay White. That'd be a longshot. Other than him, probably Hikuleo.

2) they probably did but it would just be a cover for lovely workers.

3) i never want to see anyone disqualified for kicking too much rear end/not getting out of the corner and other general non-finishes. I also hate beatdowns where we have to pretend wrestlers don't have any friends or when the rules/booking seems to change arbitrarily and week to week.

4) i have no opinion on this as i haven't watched weekly wwe in over ten years.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I don't like when the ref is koed for a long rear end time after getting a lovetap.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

i think Drew is an excellent champion who has not had a bad match yet, and had a few very good ones. He isn't portrayed as an idiot and he has an awesome look and cuts a decent promo most of the time.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

A huge problem for almost anyone who has come through the NJ Dojo is they are going to lose any oomph from their offence. Jay White is an incredible sleazebag heel & a natural babyface & he's not a real stiff worker so I'd say he should be can't miss. Okada should be too but they whiffed on Nakamura so why wouldn't they whiff on Okada? Sure, Lil' Kaz takes less matches off. And has less wear & tear on his body. But someone as obviously charismatic as Nakamura just turning into another guy. They'd do nothing interesting with any of the Juniors.

I dunno, Karl Fredericks would be the other one if you had to pick one. He's not huge but a decent size at 6'1", he's a good looker, he's charismatic, decent enough talker.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

1. Tama Tonga.

2. Always blame something external.

3. A secondary title being superior to the top title leading to them proclaining themselves the true champion (RVD in ECW, Jay Lethal in ROH, Ultimate Qarrior in WWF, recently Keith Lee and arguably Naito but now i view under EVIL that the NEVER title us more important). I hate this trope because what ut actually does is expose a weakness and gently caress up in booking by making it clear your main event is hosed up and NOT representative of The Man in the company. It also always ends up tying up the singles division in a standstill while they try to resolve the problem leaving the rest of the roster without goals.

4. Drew McIntyre is the best champion in a long long time and his NXT run was good too if cut short way too soon. Hes one of those guys who just has it and is one if the biggest cases for how leaving WWE can be the best thing for your career by becoming onw of the best wrestlers in the world and certainly top hoss Drew Galloway.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Jeff Cobb or Jay White. I don’t think anyone Japanese would honestly get pushed by Vince. Okada would be doing dumb comedy segments in a Corbin feud within a year.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Jeff Cobb tried out for WWE. They turned him down. He's too short and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Lid posted:

Jeff Cobb tried out for WWE. They turned him down. He's too short and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZqo4OZ0Pqs

They're apparently in talks with him again according to Fightful Select, and he said he signed somewhere recently (but did not say where).

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
Didn't know that, but even then I don't think they would push him. He's pretty much the top end of a sign and stash just to keep him away from other teams.

Jeff Cobb is the 21st century Lanny Poffo.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

they dont push anyone.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I could see Tama Tonga doing well. Maybe not world title, but certainly upper midcard.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I can see WWE wanting Hiromu, Ibushi or Ospreay and giving them a similar push to what Nakamura got.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Seams posted:

I can see WWE wanting Hiromu,

like, maybe to ice him like they did kushida, maybe.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

WWE neutering Hiromu would be maybe the saddest thing I could think of.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

i really really really don't want to even imagine the WWE-ification of Hiromu's art stuff

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

WWE does not sign with the intent to push good workers. the wrestlers they like to push are ones that are eye catching at the airport, being huge and freak like looking. they will take someone with zero wrestling experience over a 9 year journeyman every time because it will be easier to teach the zero experience person what their vision of wrestling is, wheras with a journeyman they will take tons of time breaking them down to make them unlearn their "wrong" wrestling education. even seth and ricochet while under contract have talked about wwe's dev system re-teaching them lots of things like fundamentals, promos, etc treating them, former world champions in other promotions, no different than a random college football washout that's in the same signing class as them.

if they do sign bigger names, your AJs, Shinsukes, etc in smaller but popular and possibly profitable companies, its not with the intention to push and to market them, its done to take a vital piece off the board from those companies with the intention to destabilize them and prevent another WCW from popping up. The only reason AJ actually wound up getting a push was because chris jericho and shawn michaels went to bat for him and that he did incredibly well merch wise out of the gate after debuting. AJ was also helped by the fact that a lot of his contemporaries from TNA now hold positions of power in WWE so he has a lot of good will behind him in that facet, and he was also helped by not going to NXT.

NXT has proven to be something that waters down and actually hurts wrestlers chances to make it to the top of the card in WWE. Look at who WWE actually pushes as main eventers, and who runs around chasing R-Truth for the 24/7 belt. Wrestlers tend to do a lot better on the main roster the less time they spend in NXT. Braun, Roman, Bray, and AJ all effectively skipped NXT and they make up a huge part of the current main event scene. Seth was there very briefly despite being the first NXT champion. Owens did well and got a main event WWE run but he was fast tracked QUICK out of NXT when they saw his ability to make money. Baron Corbin had an abbreviated stay there, and did much better upon being promoted. NXT Lifers that eventually get to the main card always seem to stumble hard, your Roodes, Shinsukes, Andrades, Sami Zayns, Pac, i mean hell its almost like holding the NXT title is a curse that means you're going to be capped at the knees when your callup does come. The best thing to happen to Drew was only spending ~5 months there.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

1. Jay White certainly seems their current mold, but knowing Vince, he'd probably see Bad Luck Fale, and push him nonstop.

2. That sounds like something they'd do to make wrestling sound like a sport, given how often it was/is a discussion topic with the Broncos or Rockies. I don't recall it specifically, though.

a. I've always liked the idea of a heel or a face going down to watch someone up close in advance of a match with someone wrestling, because it sets up a mid- or post-match confrontation, and adds more weight to what might be a lame duck match. I also like the cheap heat approach of interrupting a really routine move that fans are looking forward to, like breaking up Road Dogg's ring intro, or someone taking Bret's sunglasses before he can give them to some kid.

b. I've always hated going for cheap heat by insulting local sports teams while on national TV. If it's between commercial breaks or at a house show, fine. But someone watching in Texas doesn't care about a bad guy insulting the Patriots. I've also always hated ref bumps, because they're done so often they're meaningless. I really hate rest holds in tag matches; just tag out!

4. I haven't watched any of the current product, but at least he's on TV consistently. That's more than you could say for Lesnar. The shame is that, a few years from now, they probably can't refer back to any of his big moments, because his run has been in empty arenas.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Things I hate?

I'd pay money to never see the rapid-fire punch-trading that looks fake as hell again.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I hate it when somebody puts on a submission in the middle of the ring and the commentators go "ITS LOCKED IN THEY HAVE NOWHERE TO GO" and then the other wrestler gets to the ropes. Guess it wasn't loving locked in was it idiot. Also not a very good submission if the other wrestler can survive it for ages AND crawl to the ropes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Things I hate?

I'd pay money to never see the rapid-fire punch-trading that looks fake as hell again.

Mah its the camera cuts that gently caress it up. That trope has been a classic since Frye v Takayama.