Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

learnincurve posted:

I'm not sure what 's being asked here? Are you asking about manual focusing aids or price? All cameras are manual in MF mode and if you don't care about video and want cheap than go for a older Nikon like the D300 or D5200 for the old nikon lenses or Sony a37/a58 for Minolta. poo poo the D3100 is £50 or less now.

In general, objects designed to accomplish a task in a specific way do better at accomplishing tasks in that specific way than objects designed to accomplish a task in a different way. Car analogies are always bad so I will make the worst one that I can.

I asked if anyone makes station wagons anymore because I want a station wagon and found out that all they make are SUVs because that's what everyone wants. I further found out that's possible to drop a new engine into a datsun 510 or that if I give an incalculable sum of money to leica they will deliver me an SUV so good I won't care that it's not a station wagon. Finally, I found out that I can lower my SUV to make it handle more like a station wagon. All of this was valuable knowledge, I intend to act on one piece of it right away and probably a second piece of it as a long term project. I thank you all for it. That being said, I realize that I can pick up groceries with an SUV, or a horse-drawn carriage but I would like to pick them up with a station wagon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
What is it that is holding you back with existing cameras that you'd specifically like to see improved in a stripped down, fully manual digital camera? I feel like people are struggling to give you recommendations because it's unclear what you actually want beyond a focusing prism.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

big scary monsters posted:

What is it that is holding you back with existing cameras that you'd specifically like to see improved in a stripped down, fully manual digital camera? I feel like people are struggling to give you recommendations because it's unclear what you actually want beyond a focusing prism.

do you carry around 30 keys on your key ring that you never use?

weight, processor ticks, the reliability of simplicity, being able to do the three things I need to do without chording buttons and, in a better world, a lower price.

I don't think anyone's struggling to give recommendations, I've gotten some pretty good ones, but drat if a large portion of this sub doesn't struggle with reading comprehension.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

The Voice of Labor posted:

do you carry around 30 keys on your key ring that you never use?

weight, processor ticks, the reliability of simplicity, being able to do the three things I need to do without chording buttons and, in a better world, a lower price.

I don't think anyone's struggling to give recommendations, I've gotten some pretty good ones, but drat if a large portion of this sub doesn't struggle with reading comprehension.

Nah you've been very obtuse with saying what you want, and when people have made recommendations you just tell them it's not what you want.

You say you want a camera that is ONLY focused on taking photos, and you're willing to sacrifice video, automation, etc to save on costs. People have been trying to tell you that the only way that will actually save you money is if you buy film gear because the digital thing you want is basically Leica exclusive (which multiple people have recommended) - but that won't save you money because it's such a niche desire that the cameras are very expensive.

The thing is, "taking photos" is something that has been perfected for quite a long time now, it's trivial - hence why most modern cameras instead focus on improving AF, video, ISO range, etc. If you really only care about taking photos as simply as possible, either:
1) buy a newer camera with great photo taking capabilities and just ignore all the other features you don't want. No, your camera isn't wasting processing power on those features when you turn them off. Yes, you will be paying some extra money for those features, but you can usually buy a camera that's a few years out of date (such as a Fuji XT20) that will be cheaper and have comparable photo quality.
2) go the opposite direction and get a fairly old digital camera, it'll be very cheap and have worse image quality, but will likely have much less focus on video, AF speed, etc.

Either way you can adapt basically any old MF lens onto any digital body, so you can do that at least. If these options aren't what you're looking for, please clearly state what you ARE looking for.

Also you really should actually consider film. The camera bodies + lenses are very cheap used, and you can send the film off to a lab to have them develop it for you AND scan it for you, so you get digital files back anyways.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
It sounds like your perfect camera is a Hasselblad 500C/M with a Phase One back. It's a fantastic, fully manual camera with minimal unnecessary automation, a great set of lenses available, and a beautiful, bright, waist level viewfinder. Honestly a joy to shoot. I haven't used the digital back personally but if you don't want to use film it seems like the next best thing.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Nah, get a Fuji GX680 III with a Phase One to save some cash.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
You n’ me, we’re gonna save some cash; using film cameras with digital backs.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

CodfishCartographer posted:

Nah you've been very obtuse with saying what you want, and when people have made recommendations you just tell them it's not what you want.

Either way you can adapt basically any old MF lens onto any digital body, so you can do that at least. If these options aren't what you're looking for, please clearly state what you ARE looking for.

Also you really should actually consider film. The camera bodies + lenses are very cheap used, and you can send the film off to a lab to have them develop it for you AND scan it for you, so you get digital files back anyways.

fair enough. though looking at your last post I couldn't have been that obtuse.

easiest thing first, independent dials for shutter speed and f stop, menuless access to iso and white balance.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Get that 8x10 digital back, it will only take the rest of your life to offset the cost of shooting film!

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I can't say I spend much time studying the camera market, but $400 + cost of an old camera doesn't seem like that bad of a deal to get something I really like when all the nearest options are in the thousands

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

fair enough. though looking at your last post I couldn't have been that obtuse.

easiest thing first, independent dials for shutter speed and f stop, menuless access to iso and white balance.

Get a used X-T2? I paid (I think) $600 for mine, but that came with a 23mm f/2 and flash, and that was before the X-T4 came out so it's potentially cheaper now. Everything you've mentioned except the white balance is on a manual dial, and you can set the white balance in the quick access menu, which is indeed very quickly accessible. The X-T3 and X-T4 upgrades have been mostly focused on video, so if you don't care about those, it's still a great camera. I shoot almost entirely manual, and the manual focus assist features are amazing for this.

e: And I forgot to say, you can set a few different white balance options as presets, then set the function button (which is all on its own right behind the shutter, so you won't mistake it for anything else) to open the menu over the image, so you can select without even lowering the camera away from your eye. It's very easy to change things and navigate within the EVF.

e2: In fact, by default the WB menu has a full range of temperatures to choose between, plus the preview and good EVF mean you get a really good idea of what your photo will look like before you even choose a WB.

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 12, 2020

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, if you can deal with the fact that Fuji spent engineering time on autofocus and other things that’ll get you the dials you desire and will be way easier to deal with than whatever digital back you can find for cheap. Depending on the back you could wind up with a weird stylus touch screen to change settings, which doesn’t seem like quite the thing you’re looking for.

Edit: also, I’ve tried split prisms in modern DSLRs and the big problem is that, at least on the D800 but I think most modern DSLRs are the same, there’s no easy way to calibrate the ground glass focus to match the sensor. I tried shimming forever and never was able to get it quite right. On cameras meant for them usually you have adjustments inside the camera instead of having to shim. This might not be so much of an issue on a lower resolution body, but it drove me nuts on the D800. Most of my glass is manual focus and I wound up going mirrorless because it was essentially impossible to get the ground glass perfectly calibrated enough if I was shooting wide open.

powderific fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 12, 2020

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
how long has digital back making been a thing? I realize it's niche, but video game flash carts and fpga setups are niche too and every year or two they cost half as much and are twice as good.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
A long time, but it’s very rarified technology and has always been extremely expensive. I think the Sinar back we had was $40K? They are getting cheaper, but you’re still looking in the $10k range. There’s used stuff under $1000 but you’re looking old specialized crap. Like the Sinar back we had you can find now for that, but you need special software to run the thing and capture with FireWire, etc. I’m not sure it could even shoot non tethered now that I’m thinking about it. There are better used options than that I’m sure, but unless you’re down to spend quite a bit I don’t know that it’s going to get you the experience you’re looking for.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

how long has digital back making been a thing? I realize it's niche, but video game flash carts and fpga setups are niche too and every year or two they cost half as much and are twice as good.

Almost 30 years. I believe they were some of the first digital cameras released?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_camera_back

They represent a tiny, tiny minority of the camera market so they don't see a lot of development money or decrease in prices.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I honestly don't see how a DSLR makes this difficult for you. Attach an old manual lens, disable image review, put it in M mode and superglue the dial in that position. Now you have a camera where you just put it up to your eye, center the meter with the knobs and wheels, focus, and press the button and you can pretend every other feature doesn't exist.

A DSLR in M with a manual lens has a knob on the grip for shutter speed and a ring on the lens for aperture. Forget about ISO; it's a complication. Pretend you're shooting Tri-X and leave it on 1600. Leave white balance on sunlight and then put a blue filter on the lens for incandescent like we used to.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
You seem to think not having a video mode is a selling point but almost all of the good cameras are going to include it because it's pretty simple to implement and it makes their cameras more attractive to a different segment.

In addition to my previous recommendations of Nikon DSLR, Pentax DSLR, and Sony mirrorless, let me also throw out the Fuji x-series rangefinders (these are a photographer's camera for sure, lots of mechanical controls), the Pentax 645D/645Z (video mode is terrible iirc so maybe that will satisfy you?) and the new Fuji MF bodies. Both the 645 and the Fuji MF bodies will be slower working than your average DSLR for sure, if that's your schtick.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

buddy it's because the poo poo you type is incomprehensible

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

use your phone camera and pretend

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the perfect camera for you exists it's the nikon df

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I get where he's coming from, because there are a lot of products where I feel like there's a bunch of unnecessary crap attached, and I'd almost prefer paying more just to not have to worry about all that. Smart TVs come to mind, as I don't need all the bloatware packaged with the TV (remember when high-end sets all came with 3D built in? :lol:), when I just want a simple display plus my Roku or Chromecast. But wanting a digital camera that doesn't have autofocus or autoexposure just kinda makes me scratch my head.

I think it'd be easier to just shoot film and deal with the developing and scanning (whether you choose to do it yourself or send it off to a lab) than to try and find a digital camera that eschews all the meaningful technological advances of the last 40 years

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

or just turn the dial to M and keep shooting what you have

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I keep saying the D300 exists if he wants lots of buttons and stripped down though. No it’s not awesome indoors, iso above 800 is fairly shite, but just because a new model of something has come out an older model doesn’t just melt into a pile of trash. I still use mine to make family calendars because my Nan likes the look of a “proper camera” and it makes her feel like a movie star.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

404notfound posted:

But wanting a digital camera that doesn't have autofocus or autoexposure just kinda makes me scratch my head.

my stuff looks much better without it. at least with the d3300 every auto I turned off resulted in photos that, on average, I was happier with. I'm not real sure that 40 years of technological progress has made things better even if it has made them easier.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
:psyduck:

Dude just buy the the 35mm 1.8 and stick the D3300 in manual, you have the latest sensor and the camera has already depreciated like a rock. If you want something that *looks* old school then get the Olympus OM-D EM-5

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

But seriously, pick yourself up a Minolta X570, or a TLR if your interested in medium format and a roll of film. If you hate the process sell it for the price you paid and you'll be out ~$15 for film, dev and scans. If you love it you'll really love it. The viewfinders on most SLRs poo poo all over modern DSLRs in terms of brightness and clarity and if you buy something more modern, like the X570, you'll even get in viewfinder shutter and apeture display along with metering. They're also smaller and lighter, and have a battery life you measure in months so you're winning all around.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
how much are negative scanning machines?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Don't know around your area, but if you keep an eye out for a Epson V600 you can find a bargain. For scanning 35 a Pakon F-135 would do better but you'll pay a lot more. I got my V600 for $200 in Aussie dollars.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

learnincurve posted:

:psyduck:

Dude just buy the the 35mm 1.8 and stick the D3300 in manual, you have the latest sensor and the camera has already depreciated like a rock. If you want something that *looks* old school then get the Olympus OM-D EM-5

congratulations, you have, with the substitution of a 40mm 2.8 described what I do. I do not want something that *looks* old school, if I did I would be asking about cold war warsaw pact cameras and pallets of romanian surplus film stock.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

no, I'm cool with plugging a usb cable into my camera and having all the photos on my 'puter, I'm cool with having effectively unlimited exposures for free and I'm cool with not needing to convert a space that I don't have into a darkroom .

a digital back actually sounds pretty cool and I have no problems with tinkering/frankenstiening something together

Get a P45+ digiback for a Hasselblad 501cm.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Wild EEPROM posted:

the perfect camera for you exists it's the nikon df

This is the correct camera for you.

Nikon DF

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

ansel autisms posted:

buddy it's because the poo poo you type is incomprehensible

Feeling very seen right now.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Real talk. If I want to go shoot with as little automation as possible I get out my minolta SR-T 202 and shut the meter off. It’s fun and with some forgiving b&w film even a shithead like me can nail exposure with a little forethought.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Subscribe to Nick Carver's YouTube channel then buy yourself a load of medium and large format film cameras.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That dude is so loving chill in front of a video camera, super easy to lean back and chill out to.

Also his images kick rear end.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

congratulations, you have, with the substitution of a 40mm 2.8 described what I do. I do not want something that *looks* old school, if I did I would be asking about cold war warsaw pact cameras and pallets of romanian surplus film stock.

Please do not poo poo talk Cold War Warsaw Pact cameras, they are in fact extremely good.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

So what you’re saying is I should get the Kiev?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Megabound posted:

For scanning 35 a Pakon F-135 would do better but you'll pay a lot more. I got my V600 for $200 in Aussie dollars.

i think you mean a plustek 8200

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Yeast posted:

This is the correct camera for you.

Nikon DF

lmao I forgot this goofy loving thing exists, I kind of love it despite it being huge and weird

speaking of chill photography youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2IPAeJaNJKw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Found a vlog of forums poster The Voice of Labor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNJPmk5wIHw