Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1293285057256476679

Can we sign Clowney already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

ESPN was throwing tons of MNF money at Peyton and Romo and whiffed, but apparently they also tried to get Sean McVay to leave.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/espn-talked-to-sean-mcvay-about-monday-night-football-gig/

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

that's very strange

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spoeank posted:

he's an awkward comedian that's 8 feet tall with floppy rear end hair. He was the first thing I thought of when I saw herbert running around

https://twitter.com/LukeMones/status/1291782559345516544
He seems like a real rear end in a top hat.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Diva Cupcake posted:

ESPN was throwing tons of MNF money at Peyton and Romo and whiffed, but apparently they also tried to get Sean McVay to leave.

https://nypost.com/2020/08/12/espn-talked-to-sean-mcvay-about-monday-night-football-gig/

i mean i could see mcvay as someone who'd be tempted by the chill schedule and LA lifestyle, but already? lmao

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Diva Cupcake posted:

It’s weird how much they’ve struggled with the MNF thing.

I haven’t liked the announcers since Tirico and Gruden left and the games are now usually really bad matchups.

Somewhere along the way in my brain SNF took the place of MNF as the weekly marquee NFL event.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Monday Night Football was interesting because it was one of those over-the-air institutions that everyone got to watch rise and fall- like the late night shows or saturday night live

now its just the other weekday game on cable

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Fifty Three posted:

He seems like a real rear end in a top hat.

He rocks, actually.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Ehud posted:

Somewhere along the way in my brain SNF took the place of MNF as the weekly marquee NFL event.

It’s not just in your brain, the NFL did exactly that.

When ESPN had SNF in the 90’s (Which they shared with TNT for a bit) and early 00’s, it was rarely the big game of the week and was usually an after thought. You’d get stuff like Bears-Vikings in the mid-90’s when both teams were okay but clearly behind Green Bay in the old NFC Central, for example. Big games were usually the 4 PM time slot or MNF on ABC. Hell, a big reason people watched ESPN’s Sunday Night game was it aired after NFL Primetime back when that was the biggest highlight show around and was an absolute institution.

When ESPN got MNF, they seemingly assumed everything would carry over in terms of premier matchups. However, NBC brought all the old MNF crew with them (Namely Al Michaels and John Madden, but also most of the producers and key behind the scenes stuff), and then someone added the idea of the flex games, allowing them to adjust the late season games to almost always have the biggest game, which you can’t do with MNF. There was a line somewhere about how having the biggest game of the day be the finale after all the afternoon games worked out a lot better than it being the following night, and now on cable (Even thought ESPN is pretty much on every provider).

All that combined to make SNF blow up beyond even what ABC MNF had been ratings wise pretty fast, and it’s stayed that way for 15~ years now. Meanwhile, MNF continued to lose out on choice of games once Thursday Night Football became a thing and later expanded, which is why its games are rarely as notable as MNF was in the past.

fartknocker fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Aug 12, 2020

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/MikeGarafolo/status/1293569434804682752

gently caress, that sucks

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

How selfish!!! Doesn't he know people are getting fired?!!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Ehud posted:

I haven’t liked the announcers since Tirico and Gruden left and the games are now usually really bad matchups.

Turns out a lovely game doesn't need like 8 hours of total coverage.

They should cut out all the hours of pregame, the boogermobile, three separate announcing teams, and just call it like a game.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Everyone wants to watch the cowboys or Patriots in prime time though! :suicide:

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

If the Pats get back to the Superbowl and they face the Buccs, who does TFF root for?

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Intruder posted:

If the Pats get back to the Superbowl and they face the Buccs, who does TFF root for?

The virus

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Intruder posted:

The book version of The Sum of All Fears.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

For both teams to play hard and for the best team to win.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
it's all over for you hoes

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1293575801456205824

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Spoeank posted:

He rocks, actually.
Please, by all means, elaborate on what part of "mocking people who are taking coronavirus precautions" rocks

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

He'll get like three 70-ish yard plays for TDs (two returns and one end around) and manage seventeen more that net -2 yards total.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Fifty Three posted:

Please, by all means, elaborate on what part of "mocking people who are taking coronavirus precautions" rocks

here you go here's him doing the opposite, chill out

https://twitter.com/LukeMones/status/1286407654114394112

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Kalli posted:

For both teams to play hard and for the best team to win.

I don't think there's anything that'll ever tarnish Bill's legacy, so I'd love to see him starch Brady in the Superbowl and forever enshrine him as a system QB (or the Buccs go 1-15, either way)

Also seeing Cam get a ring would be cool

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1293581340403736576?s=19

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

He'll get like three 70-ish yard plays for TDs (two returns and one end around) and manage seventeen more that net -2 yards total.

ah, the Matt Breida Experience

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Intruder posted:

(or the Buccs go 1-15, either way)

Come on, I think we've suffered enough. At least let us make the playoffs and MAYBE win one game. It's been 17 years.

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

Ehud posted:

This is also simply explained, brother Ehud. Disney was super pissed at how much money ESPN spent getting the rights to CFB bowl games and MNF, and enforced austerity on the network. Slashed budgets, laid off all of their experienced journalists, and now you have a parade of Booger McFarlands hosting MNF

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

wandler20 posted:

Come on, I think we've suffered enough. At least let us make the playoffs and MAYBE win one game. It's been 17 years.

Fine, Brady goes down in week 1 and the Buccs go on a tear without him and win it all

Then Brady brags about getting another ring

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Jerry will watch from his hermetically sealed box while on a prophylactic dose of whatever malaria drug is around.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Intruder posted:

Fine, Brady goes down in week 1 and the Buccs go on a tear without him and win it all

The Bucs backup is Blaine Gabbert.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Intruder posted:

Just another asterisk to throw on the pile

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Mega64 posted:

Even better

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret

Mega64 posted:

Whoa there, motherfucker.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS
I feel like I shouldn't be shocked Blaine Gabbert is still in the NFL, but I am.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Missouri QBs somehow make great backups I guess

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
He’s not very good and didn’t play a single snap last year, but Bruce Arians apparently likes him enough to have brought him to Tampa after previously seeing him start games in Arizona. :shrug:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

He was 2/3 as a starter when he was on the Titans, and hilariously all three of his starts were against different AFC South teams.

I remember he got injured against the Jags and thus the Titans had to send out an already-injured Mariota to secure a 9-6 victory. And it wasn't even a Thursday Night game!

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
My Norwegian Sunday Ticket payment processed, guess that means the season is happening.

VietCampo
Aug 24, 2010

SirPablo posted:

My Norwegian Sunday Ticket payment processed, guess that means the season is happening.

*This charge is non refundable in the event of cancellation

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Spoeank posted:

here you go here's him doing the opposite, chill out

https://twitter.com/LukeMones/status/1286407654114394112

He’s really unfunny regardless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Intruder posted:

Bucs