Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

As I near the end of Nocturne I wanna comment on something I keep meaning to comment on. It's a small thing but Nocturne is a game of small things so you take what you can get.

I always use my real name for SMT protagonists and also used my nickname here. A peculiar thing I noticed this run is how strangers will use your nickname but people you are close to will use your full name. My nickname is Nikki and it was very strange to have the Mantra judge say "Nikki, you are accused of loitering, now fight to the death to prove your innocence." Meanwhile, my good buddy Isamu always only calls me Nicholas. I can understand your teacher Ms. Takao only calling you by your full name but both Chiaki and Isamu do it, too. So everybody who knows you calls you by your full name.

Maybe there's some Japanese nuance here I'm unfamiliar with but of course I would think strangers would call you by your full name and friends by your nickname. And yet it's the total opposite.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Maybe it's because they new you before you became the demifiend Godpuncher so they call you by your irl name and not your post collapse nickname?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
1) Demifiend is actually using this incident as a way to try out a new name, he was planning to tell his friends before the world unzipped

2) The humans have all realized that fighting the Demifiend is an inevitable consequence of following their Reason, and if they stop calling him by his childhood nickname maybe it'll be less weird

3) Demifiend made up a fake name because you don't give your real name to Titania and Oberon or any of the fairy folks because they'll kidnap you or whatever

4) His friends figure that him becoming a demon or whatever has destroyed his humanity and so he loses nickname privileges

5) During Demon Negotiation, one of them said 'Naoki is a weird name, can I call you Jojo' and it was cheaper than bribing it with a Life Stone.

Twin Infinitives
Sep 15, 2017

groot shit
Kind of funny that you used Nikki--I read somewhere that a Nocturne radio play thing in Japan used the name Naoki for him. Nikki is similar to Naoki. This is my observation

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

These Ex Missions that make you go back to old sectors and find some specific demon to talk in random rear end encounters are such a pain in the rear end, not fun at all

tempted to just stick to keep progressing current sector/WoG

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

when you're presented with both a customizable real name and "nickname" choice in a japanese game, the nickname is usually more of a codename or alias

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

kirbysuperstar posted:

Did anyone ask for an English translation of a stripped down, Chinese version of the J2ME port of Megami Tensei 1? No? Too bad

https://www.romhacking.net/translations/5634/

It's a..an interesting curio, if nothing else I guess.

I did, there's all kinds of wacky poo poo probably forever lost on Japanese cellphones so I'm glad to see something survive.

Still wanna play that Valis phone game where Yuko wears a wedding dress and wields a chainsaw.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Light Gun Man posted:

Still wanna play that Valis phone game where Yuko wears a wedding dress and wields a chainsaw.

Well that sounds better than Valis X already

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And that's Nocturne done. Won at Level 87 with a team of Clotho,Thor and Ongyo-Ki.

First, I got the Yosuga Ending. I've always thought Chiaki was the best of the three Reason reps and when I played Devil Survivor 2 Yamato reminded me of her. Notably though, the two endings are quite different. I found it interesting that in Meritocracy we see nothing of Yamato or the MC., we just see the world they created and also Makoto was there. Here, with Yosuga, we see nothing of the actual Yosuga World we created, we just talk to Chiaki's spirit. It was sweet and all but I wanted more. From what I've seen, all the Nocturne endings are pretty brief and underwhelming in what they actually show.

Nocturne remains firmly a mid tier SMT game in my mind. It has way too many major flaws to be a great game. People always complain about the subway tunnels in Fallout 3, why does nobody complain about how half of the dungeons in this game are boring, samey tunnels? In fact the only actually good dungeons in this game were the Obelisk and the Amala Temple. The latter had real music instead of just kinda ambient nothing happening background music, the puzzles were cool and it has the best normal battle theme in the game playing for it.

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oOTSWmyP2E

Motoi Sakuraba snuck in and composed this one and t rules.

And my god the Tower of Kagutsuchi is just a godawful final dungeon. I wouldn't hate it so much if not for the encounter rate. You have to figure out all these puzzles when you are getting attacked every .5 seconds. I eventually just looked it up because I couldn't deal with this poo poo. I'd be Level 99 instead of Level 87 when I finished the game because I got attacked a billion times while fumbling about trying to figure out the right teleporter.

So yeah, for game that is primarily dungeon crawling and little else, having two good dungeons is a serious problem.

Nocturne isn't bottom tier because it still has great things in it. I like the whole idea of the Conception and Vortex World and Reasons. I just wanted more. A few extra cutscenes with Chiaki wouldn't have hurt and I want that because I like her character. There are cool story moments here and there amidst all the dungeon crawling. I still love the Mantra trial and meeting Guzu-Tennoh. Thor's more likable than most of the human cast. There are some pretty great battles like Matador and Baal Avatar was as hard as I remembered which was nice. She's the real final boss, not Kagutsuchi.

Nocturne had the potential to be a better game; a lot of its problems could have been easily fixed. And they were, in other SMT games which are way better because of it.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 12, 2020

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

NikkolasKing posted:

Nocturne isn't bottom tier because it still has great things in it isn't If...

It'll be hard for anything to ever top that game for "worst dungeon dives".

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

There's another Nocturne HD stream in an hour, so I guess if you want to sit around for another hour waiting for it, then another hour on top of that to see like fifteen minutes of footage from an HD port of a game that came out nearly 20 years ago you can check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKAgXbEX3A

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Fun fact, the Amala Network battle theme is an arrangement of a song from the PSX version of SMT if...

https://youtu.be/4NaWKq5Jk-M

And then it got another arrangement for the Persona 5 DLC, which was included in an if... soundtrack from a few years ago.

https://youtu.be/iNag9_NO1CQ

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

TurnipFritter posted:

There's another Nocturne HD stream in an hour, so I guess if you want to sit around for another hour waiting for it, then another hour on top of that to see like fifteen minutes of footage from an HD port of a game that came out nearly 20 years ago you can check it out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyKAgXbEX3A

Dante from the Devil May Cry series is still in.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Ulio posted:

Dante is $10 DLC.

Oh, apparently this wasn't a stream, it was just a DLC trailer.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
that’d be a little odd since he was an unavoidable, and painful, encounter in the original western release

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxxidation posted:

that’d be a little odd since he was an unavoidable, and painful, encounter in the original western release

He was replaced with Raidou for the second PS2 rerelease (that came with Raidou 2) for rights reasons. Raidou's in the base version of the HD remaster, having the Dante DLC lets you start a new game in the Maniax version which has him and not Raidou.

Also they added Pierce to Son's Oath, so he's not a liability for TDE anymore.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Apparently the Korean and Chinese versions of SMT3 HD require you to purchase the Maniax content (the Labrynth of Amala/Fiends/Dantaidou) as a separate Maniax DLC pack.

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
kinda understandable that it costs extra to feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series i guess since they'd have to relicence him from Capcom, but boy that price feels steep

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Ulio posted:

I was going to make a joke about him being joined by Pierce from such and such but there have been very few game characters with that name. Not even one in fire emblem.

*edit* Pierce Carradine from Parasite Eve?

Arbite fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 12, 2020

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Pierce is the name of Chris' buddy in his campaign in RE5, dont even have to go outside Capcom.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Pierce from the Saints Row series.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Homora Gaykemi posted:

kinda understandable that it costs extra to feature Dante from the Devil May Cry series i guess since they'd have to relicence him from Capcom, but boy that price feels steep

Honestly, it's drat clever, because you KNOW that there's going to be a lot of people willing to front that cash to make sure the game is Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series.

If anything, they're making a mistake not by pricing it that high, but by not explicitly naming the DLC 'Featuring Dante from the Devil May Cry Series'.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
honestly until that announcement i'd completely forgotten that dante is an unavoidable boss fight that ambushes you on an otherwise innocuous screen and makes the front and back sides of your head switch places

don't you encounter him not long after getting bushwhacked by daisoujou as well?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

honestly until that announcement i'd completely forgotten that dante is an unavoidable boss fight that ambushes you on an otherwise innocuous screen and makes the front and back sides of your head switch places

don't you encounter him not long after getting bushwhacked by daisoujou as well?

You go to the Mantra HQ to meet with Guzu-Tennoh because gently caress Hikawa.
Once you enter you see Thor beating up Isaamu for being a nerd and then he has you arrested for loitering.
You go through a gauntlet of Orthrus, Yaksini and then finally Thor to prove your innocence.
Once you win, you are dumped outside the Mantra HQ and by the save point.
As soon as you re-enter the Mantra HQ screen the flames of the plot item flicker and warn you an enemy is near.
Dante will attack as you once again try to enter the Mantra HQ to talk to Gozu-Tennoh so you can advance the plot.

Daisoujou is off in a secluded area and only appears after finally meeting with Guzu-Tennoh.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Wait Dante isn’t something put onto the end of the game as a bonus boss or a new game bonus? He just drops in the middle of it and messes you up?

That’s... interesting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Spiffster posted:

Wait Dante isn’t something put onto the end of the game as a bonus boss or a new game bonus? He just drops in the middle of it and messes you up?

That’s... interesting

literally drops, he leaps off a skyscraper, lands in front of the protagonist, goes “sup” and quickly introduces you to the Game Over screen

it’s way way later that you can actually invite him to your party

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Oxxidation posted:

literally drops, he leaps off a skyscraper, lands in front of the protagonist, goes “sup” and quickly introduces you to the Game Over screen

Did they replace all of his appearances with identical Raidou appearances? Or is Raidou much more friendly and doesn't dunk you into a boss fight?

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

He's in all of the exact same spots as Dante, just a straight swap.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cleretic posted:

Did they replace all of his appearances with identical Raidou appearances? Or is Raidou much more friendly and doesn't dunk you into a boss fight?

raidou is more ambivalent but the loving cat talks him into it

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

YggiDee posted:

Pierce from the Saints Row series.

:yeah:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Spiffster posted:

That’s... interesting

My friend have you heard about brick wall Matador? From my understanding he also isn't there in the original release and just gets dropped in front of you and you better hope this isn't your first SMT game because you're about to get introduced to a world of pain.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nocturne was one of those games that by the time they got around to a western localisation there was already an updated version out in Japan so we got that with a Matador surprise.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Oxxidation posted:

The best part is that you can also jump off that same skyscraper, and when you land your entire party is at 1hp.

Except, if he's in your party when you do it, Dante comes out unharmed. It's the greatest small detail.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Len posted:

My friend have you heard about brick wall Matador? From my understanding he also isn't there in the original release and just gets dropped in front of you and you better hope this isn't your first SMT game because you're about to get introduced to a world of pain.

And the encounter rate in Nocturne is such that you might very well be attacked 3 or 4 times even before walking the 50 feet to where Matador will out of the blue attack. So, even though SMT is relatively kind and almost always gives you the warning about a boss ahead, and it kinda does that here too, you still might not be in prime fighting shape when he attacks. The Great Underpass might be the hardest dungeon in the game and at this level you still absolutely need to exploit weaknesses just to survive which means you're wasting valuable MP before a really hard boss fight.

Although a key is to not even bother trying to debuff him. He will Red Capote himself and Dekunda himself reliably and you don't have the MP to waste on something like Tarunda that will be negated right away. Luckily he has no Dekaja so far as I saw and as such max Sukukaja should be enough to reliably hit him and then also Tarukaja or Makakaja, whichever your preferred method of damage is.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
Dante wasn't that tough, not compared to Daisoujou who at this point is like 100 steps away.

though i freaked out proper the first time he popped his MP restoration ability, only there's no way to know he's restoring MP so i thought it was a healing spell that i couldn't possibly keep pace with.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

NikkolasKing posted:

Although a key is to not even bother trying to debuff him. He will Red Capote himself and Dekunda himself reliably and you don't have the MP to waste on something like Tarunda that will be negated right away.

if you keep debuffing him he has to waste his turns on dekunda, it's still a good investment. the trap is the best debuff you have at this point is probably Fog Breath on the Demifiend, and that is definitely a waste 'cause he's got better poo poo to do and also it's a huge MP hog.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Wait do you need the Dante DLC to see Amala and all that?

I am understanding correctly you either have Dante or raidou and not both right

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Utgardaloki posted:

Dante wasn't that tough, not compared to Daisoujou who at this point is like 100 steps away.

though i freaked out proper the first time he popped his MP restoration ability, only there's no way to know he's restoring MP so i thought it was a healing spell that i couldn't possibly keep pace with.

I can't say if this holds true for the Dante fight but on the topic of wasting time debuffing a boss, I swear Raidou only used his big sword attack after removing debuffs, same as Dante's Holy Star. Once I stopped trying to lower Raidou's attack or hit/eva or defense, he just started shooting me a lot which is way better than the big sword move which always immediately followed using Mai Shiranui Dekunda. The third or fourth attempt when I just gave up debuffing him I won.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Wait do you need the Dante DLC to see Amala and all that?

I am understanding correctly you either have Dante or raidou and not both right

From what I understand, in most countries all the DLC does is swap out Raidou with Dante. But China and Korea have an interesting curveball situation, because they can't actually release Raidou in those countries because of that whole 'early 20th century Japanese military' aesthetic.

So instead, what China and Korea are getting is an HD remaster of the original release, without stuff like the Amala Labyrinth and Matador, and the DLC updates that to the 'Nocturne with Dante' version we're familiar with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy

Len posted:

This is gonna be my first non spinoff SMT title because I’m late to the party (posted before Goons got me into the series recently) but it’s not the difficulty I’m talking about here. (I’ve come to peace with seeing the game over screen multiple times and dealing with it) it’s the fact that I thought Dante was add on effectively for nocturne (I was thinking new game+ boss fight material) , not a part of the story.

Ive tried to remain spoiler free on this but I know to fear the Matador and DEFINITELY fear Mot’s turn scumming