Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

turns out the kids are NOT alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

personally i think making a random anime cahracter's design into the Culture War where people on one side or the other are bad is a completely useless thing to do, you can critique the design or artstyle without acting like you've solved being woke or the people who disagree with that critique are literal pedophiles

its all just broken bathroom poo poo. people with literally no power over anything screaming at each other over the most pointless poo poo. none of these people will remember uzaki in six months

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Acerbatus posted:

IMO the remake is better because of some of the fun stuff you can do like ironman trial by devil axe. :v:
That sounds really specific and like a recipe for a lot of angry yelling and possibly broken consoles.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Endorph posted:

personally i think making a random anime cahracter's design into the Culture War where people on one side or the other are bad is a completely useless thing to do

100% this.

I mean if the show was pushing some sort of bad politics it'd be a different situation but this is just a big fight over the concept of anime tiddy.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

saying "i fixed it" directly to the artist unsolicited is definitely rude. i don't care if people post it to their followers though.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Endorph posted:

personally i think making a random anime cahracter's design into the Culture War where people on one side or the other are bad is a completely useless thing to do, you can critique the design or artstyle without acting like you've solved being woke or the people who disagree with that critique are literal pedophiles

its all just broken bathroom poo poo. people with literally no power over anything screaming at each other over the most pointless poo poo. none of these people will remember uzaki in six months

People have been raising a fuss about uzaki forever though not to this degree, might've been when the manga was newer or something though. I've only read it on occasion, don't really follow all that.

I do think the whole thing where people get super up in arms over anime characters comes from the same place where people used to get really upset about anything vaguely sexual in a game; Sure some, maybe even most of it was deserved, but not always.

I think a lot of it is teenagers still feeling out and learning their values just with the unfortunate fact it's on the internet.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm really glad I was a decade too old to be a teenager on social media.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Wark Say posted:

That sounds really specific and like a recipe for a lot of angry yelling and possibly broken consoles.

Since you can get an endless stream of units and most of the ones you get are garbage anyways, I have fun making the true hero of Archanaea being the brothers Auffle and Lucer.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I'm tremendously glad most of the stupid poo poo I've said has been here on SA.

Not only do people I know IRL see it, sometimes I even grow as a person due to talking to people who have the patience to explain to me what's wrong with how I've been acting.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

one person posted there calling everyone who disagrees pedos

'making her look 19' and also the second part being 'fiction affects reality!' ie there is something bad about uzaki that must be corrected

and the third person's tweets are protected so i wont comment on them

There appears to be for the first tweet you posted a 24 or so hour difference between tweets, and that first tweet "blew up" and had a lot of I assume negative responses and you did say imply that being defencive and saying things in that mindset is understandable if there's toxicity being directed at you. So perhaps its possible they are only saying it not because they legitimately believe anyone that likes Uzaki is a pedo, but that more as a response to the people being toxic to them in that time? Not saying its right, but it seems fair to me to say that I don't think its completely accurate to say that the anger was justified.

dogsicle posted:

i'm referring to people like the ones being screencapped in the tweet you posted

Gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting you.

Tales of Woe posted:

saying "i fixed it" directly to the artist unsolicited is definitely rude. i don't care if people post it to their followers though.

IIRC I didn't see any of them @ the artist.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm pro anime tiddy, in case it matters.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:same:

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

And to be clear: :same: I follow a *lot* of artists, and even give some of them money for commissions from time to time!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

There appears to be for the first tweet you posted a 24 or so hour difference between tweets, and that first tweet "blew up" and had a lot of I assume negative responses and you did say imply that being defencive and saying things in that mindset is understandable if there's toxicity being directed at you. So perhaps its possible they are only saying it not because they legitimately believe anyone that likes Uzaki is a pedo, but that more as a response to the people being toxic to them in that time? Not saying its right, but it seems fair to me to say that I don't think its completely accurate to say that the anger was justified.

Gotcha, sorry for misinterpreting you.

IIRC I didn't see any of them @ the artist.
Even the original tweets are pretty inflammatory/dismissive though. Like you don't have to make critique like you're tossing a live grenade down a hall, even if twitter encourages that kinda behavior. Like I'm not saying that justifies being toxic to them but it's not to get why it immediately turned into arguing and lines in the sand. There's no universe where those people were open to other opinions. When people don't feel like they can be heard, they get mad.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 12, 2020

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

Endorph posted:

Even the original tweets are pretty inflammatory/dismissive though. Like you don't have to make critique like you're tossing a live grenade down a hall, even if twitter encourages that kinda behavior. Like I'm not saying that justifies being toxic to them but it's not to get why it immediately turned into arguing and lines in the sand. There's no universe where those people were open to other opinions. When people don't feel like they can be heard, they get mad.

i think this is pretty correct except that i don't think anyone posting on twitter should have to be concerned that their tweet doesnt make random people 'be heard'

like twitter is a public space, obviously, but also people gotta learn to see a bad tweet and keep scrollin

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Varinn posted:

i think this is pretty correct except that i don't think anyone posting on twitter should have to be concerned that their tweet doesnt make random people 'be heard'

like twitter is a public space, obviously, but also people gotta learn to see a bad tweet and keep scrollin
yeah agreed but at the same time when you make a statement thats obviously meant to rile people up, dont go 'ugh cant believe all these riled up chuds' or w/e. like, this is the obvious end result if youve spent five minutes online, ever. idk i just wish people could communicate like human beings anymore

Endorph fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 12, 2020

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Uzaki future spoiler: Geez, these people are gonna explode when we meet Uzaki's mom.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

Even the original tweets are pretty inflammatory/dismissive though. Like you don't have to make critique like you're tossing a live grenade down a hall, even if twitter encourages that kinda behavior.

As I said I agree, commentary and critique shouldn't be like kicking open the door and tossing in a flashbang. But they do have the right to open the door even if the original artist don't want it open; which to me was an undercurrent I was most concerned with anyways fwiw as part of my idiosyncratic sacrosanct ideals regarding artistic expression.

Varinn posted:

Yeah this cuts to a related issue that really disheartens me because in real time I've seen artists, because they draw some nsfw anime art get negative responses because of puritan bullshit end up slowly slide into a gamergate siege mentality and end up adjacent or entirely submerged in that and it breaks my heart.

It's bad enough when following anime artists is sometimes a minefield of abhorrent beliefs because I'd really prefer not to have to freaking vet the people I click the follow button on because they probably as well ended up in that same cycle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

My MSN and AIM status messages and IRC /afk calls will haunt me until I die

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why do you keep bringing up the original artist

dude is most likely completely unaware of any of this

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
if you just said "here's my uzaki fanart" and drew any of those things you would be fully defensible. and if your artistic expression can't speak for itself then what good was it?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

why do you keep bringing up the original artist

dude is most likely completely unaware of any of this

I'm not. I'm not referring to the "original artist of Uzaki", but the "hypothetical artist of an original work who may or may not be alright with someone critiquing their work". Because I am referring to the principle of the ideal that it's alright to redraw someone's work to make corrections as a means of constructive criticism.

Space Flower posted:

if you just said "here's my uzaki fanart" and drew any of those things you would be fully defensible. and if your artistic expression can't speak for itself then what good was it?

To me the fact that this is completely true, suggests to me that any derivative work with intent to correct the original would be fine; and that the only problem was how they communicated it to rile people up.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Aug 12, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Big tiddy kouhai???????!??!!!?!!!!????

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think anyone in the universe disagrees with that ideal

nobody gave a poo poo when, say, people in the sailor moon redraw meme drew her as black or fat or making out with a girl or whatever even though you could interpret that as subtle critique of the original work

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Stairmaster posted:

Big tiddy kouhai???????!??!!!?!!!!????

Hm. Let me know when there's a big tiddy senpai.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DoubleDonut posted:

theres approximately 62 billion

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
sounds good to me

but how annoying are they

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

DoubleDonut posted:

You could be introduced to so many terrible series based on this

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

DoubleDonut posted:

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Endorph posted:

i dont think anyone in the universe disagrees with that ideal

nobody gave a poo poo when, say, people in the sailor moon redraw meme drew her as black or fat or making out with a girl or whatever even though you could interpret that as subtle critique of the original work

Yeah, I've seen artists on Twitter chime in with redraws and red lines saying stuff like "great piece, but watch out for (x, y, or z)" or "I wanted to try my spin on your character!" and people generally seem fine with it.

Rolling up unprompted with "her design is boring and she looks like a child" is obviously inflammatory and gonna drive up your engagement numbers.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Here's my hot take to rile up the internet, make people mad, and lose subscriber : anime titty good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
oh my god here we go
https://twitter.com/gintamamovie/status/1293321322093613057

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Goku.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think the original design looks better and that having a good grasp of anatomy doesn't mean you always adhere to realistic proportions

Stairmaster posted:

And by which of course I mean Muv-Luv Extra
I really liked some of the stories for it in Photonflowers.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Interesting that redrawing animes to look white is woke now

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
look at this random 19 year old on twitter, being in flammatory

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unsolicited critique and redraws that aren't fanart aren't beloved tools of the art community and are in fact one of the fastest ways to piss off somebody who's just drawing stuff, I say, divorced of the tedious source of this discussion.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

It's cool when somebody who follows you draws something that you can instantly recognize as coming from a place of study from your work though, but thats neither of those.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
thanks for that bit of unsolicited advice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erg
Oct 31, 2010