Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

PIZZA.BAT posted:

you also pay more in taxes. so even if you ignore all of that you still come out behind
what

idk where you folks get the idea that contract jobs mean self-employed, if a company went through the trouble of hiring a recruiter they're not going to just cut you 1099 checks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

I've seen / been paid both ways.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah i been recruited w 1099 before

i knew what i was getting into tho

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

maybe it's just larger companies, most of which have vendor liability requirements for insurance purposes. I've never worked 1099 for a company larger than a couple dozen people

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
you can get general liability insurance as a 1099, i forget what it cost me cuz i jacked up the rate to make it work

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
i got a take home interview project. how do i properly copyright this poo poo?

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

I just think they're neat
I worked at a large corp as a 1099 via a recruiting vendor.

It felt very wrong when doing it, and did actually get me brought on FT because the vendor was getting poo poo canned.

But it happens.

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Bored Online posted:

Put it on Github with a license like a GPLv3

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

drunk mutt posted:

Put it on Github with a license like a GPLv3

Why even bother at that point? Any company that finds you posted their SUPER SEKRET code test to github isn't going to want to have anything to do with you.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Hughlander posted:

Why even bother at that point? Any company that finds you posted their SUPER SEKRET code test to github isn't going to want to have anything to do with you.

private repositories exist. tons of take home tests are done this way

drunk mutt
Jul 5, 2011

Yeah, wasn't suggesting making it public...I guess that might have been what was taken by the statement?

I could rephrase it as, "put it on your {generic cloud SCM provider} with a {license that protects you}".

But you are correct that it shouldn't be public.

EDIT: Also, it is known that it's not like this will gain you anything in the long run. If they use your code, it's used, good luck in courts.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

if you don’t put a license you own it all

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
make all the variable names really filthy so they can't just copy/paste it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
just put ORIGINAL CHARACTER CODE DO NOT STEAL as a comment on every line

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bored Online posted:

don’t give them the code. demo it to them. if they ask for it just slap a copy left on it before you send it over

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

that is not at all how these work

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
if there's no way you'd find out should they decide to just take your code, the only way you can really prevent them from doing it is by not giving it to them in the first place.
if you're not willing and able to take them to court in the event that you find out they just took your code, then the same is still true.

if you do care about it enough to litigate over it, then what you want to do is make it easier to litigate over it, by having proof that you wrote it at some particular point in time (e.g. a copy uploaded to your github account with a particular timestamp), and proof that they knew it was copyrighted when they copied it (e.g. a copyright notice in every source file). marking it as (c) yourself, all rights reserved is enough - all an open-source license does is say "actually they're allowed to just steal it, under these particular conditions".

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I decided that it is time to change job and flipped the "I am looking for new jobs" toggle on LinkedIn. Time to see just how many clueless recruiters can I get spammed by :v:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
no company has ever given me an offline coding exercise that would be in any degree "useful" for their business

the idea of doing anything to prevent a company from "using" exercise code comes off as flagrant vanity

elite_garbage_man
Apr 3, 2010
I THINK THAT "PRIMA DONNA" IS "PRE-MADONNA". I MAY BE ILLITERATE.
Don't waste your time with take home projects if you can afford to. Tell them no thanks and move on.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

elite_garbage_man posted:

Don't waste your time with take home projects if you can afford to. Tell them no thanks and move on.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

we did in person interviews for an entry-level data janitor/cj position here Friday. our industry is manufacturing. came down to two candidates

candidate one has basic cj experience at another larger business in town. they appeared very eager to learn, presented themselves well and had lots of questions for us. not much in the way of db experience except for college classes. clean, relevant cover letter and concise resume
candidate two has over twelve years of experience, is working for a competitor in our same industry and looking to not commute as much and have a better overall job situation. they are extremely overqualified by every metric of the job posting. have used our main ERP software package. they submitted a two page cover letter, four page resume that was all over the place

my co worker who is on the decision committee here favors the OQ'ed person as it will relieve our day-to-day stresses on the db side immediately

i disagreed, saying even though candidate two meets and exceeds all of the requirements they have demonstrated during the interview they will be hard to keep on task and quickly unsatisfied with what we would consider to be "basic" work. there will be a ramp-up time with candidate one however i feel this person as a whole will be a better fit and meets the metrics of the job posting more closely.

we put the db skills section as optional in the resume as to attract a greater pool of candidates internally and externally since the likelihood of capturing someone with relevant db experience would be difficult or near impossible at this pay scale. i argued for candidate one also on this because that lack of knowledge can't be held against them

what would you do?

note there is also the option of opening the posting back up (it was posted pre-'rona and then put on hold)

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

yeah don't hire the person that's gonna immediately start talking to other recruiters

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

offer the second candidate and when you can’t pay them what they want take the first

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

candidate two understands what i can only assume to be a big pay cut to work with us as the competitor, how do i put this, sucks. they were bought by vc money a few years ago. an offer won't dissuade them but conversely i am sure there's a price

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
which candidate would you, personally, prefer to have in your professional network

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It basically comes down to whether your short term pain is enough to justify having to go through the hiring process again in a year or so when the overqualified candidate leaves. It might be, but that's a call for your team to make.

hot dog event
Apr 17, 2002

would rather teach candidate one than babysit candidate two. the interview with # two was off the wall energy. never seen someone want to eat a pay cut so badly with that much experience. spoke of "moving up" but we're pretty flat structurally and a manufacturing company, not tech so i worry about that

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

aeflux posted:

would rather teach candidate one than babysit candidate two. the interview with # two was off the wall energy. never seen someone want to eat a pay cut so badly with that much experience. spoke of "moving up" but we're pretty flat structurally and a manufacturing company, not tech so i worry about that

comedy option: corporate espionage :v:

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

aeflux posted:

being enthusiastic for a pay cut just to lower your commute in covid world is kinda sus

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When someone got in for really cheap at my first computer job it was for real because someone wanted insider info

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

candidate 2 got fired or is about to get fired. they're basically screaming "I'm on PEP"

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
got a second-round phone screen tomorrow with Cruise, anybody know if it’s a good company to work for?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

didn't they just have a bunch of layoffs recently

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
oh drat they did! I'll have to probe into that pretty deep

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
am I being dumb trying to find companies that look like they're trying to make the world a better place? I joined a medical software company in the hope of helping people and now it looks like the owners look at medical issues as a means to a buyout from a larger company and are misogynists that fire women who tell them they're doing things wrong then tell the (remaining) employees on how the company values include "ruthless honesty". on the other end I was part of a company whose software was basically fintech but the people were awesome and the problems were interesting. I'm looking for a new job but about the only thing that potentially meets my idealistic criteria would be research institutions funded by federal money and lol at job security there.

Pendragon fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Aug 12, 2020

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah p much

pretende i posted the sonic dealio no ethical consumption etc etc here

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Bigcos will have various divisions where your entire goal is just to make some aspect of the world better (and doing so ends up making the company more money through various less-direct means). It doesn't take much to be able to tune out the larger business goals and just focus on your personal aims of making that part of the world better.

It's very much dependent on finding the right part of the bigco though, and also that bigco not doing anything so heinous that you're unwilling to work for them even if it's somewhere totally unrelated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Interesting problems
Social value
Good pay

If you can get two, you're doing well. All three seems to be a pipe dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
you can make the world better outside of work