Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh wait I forgot the Pale Driver talks about boiadero movies I guess, dsiregard.

e: oh yeah and the whole movie rental place :hurr:

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Aug 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I just finished this game the other day. The ending was abrupt, but not disappointing - though I could see how it could come completely out of left field if you hadn’t pursued certain questlines. At one point I thought the twist was gonna be that Harry did the murder. The car reveal, the love/communism hints talking to the body, and an incidental line of dialogue in the sniper hideout where you can suggest to Kim that the killer might still be RIGHT HERE, got me thinking down that path. It would have been a really stupid but kind of satisfying ending. Pick your own motive!

Although it fit the themes of the game, I was kinda disappointed by the reveals about Harry’s gf. So I’m the human can-opener, I talk to a billion interesting people for every case I work, I can form a bond with Kim after 6 days, but some woman with no discernible personality shattered my psyche for 6 YEARS? At the end one of the cops even dunks on Harry for only liking this woman for her looks. The Dolores Dei dream seemed to resonate strongly with a lot of people, but I guess it’s one of those things that works well if you can identify with the situation and project onto it, doesn’t if you can’t. I don’t know. It just seemed like such a disappointingly generic reason for why this guy is hosed up, and not interesting enough to justify hanging it over the player’s head as an exciting mystery for the whole game.

As someone with occasional bouts of depression, it was weirdly gratifying to be able to pick dialogue options like “I’m such a burden, I should just gently caress off” and have them just kind of bounce off someone as intensely calm as Kim. You should be able to hire someone like that in real life to follow you around when you feel like poo poo but you still have to get something done.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Although it fit the themes of the game, I was kinda disappointed by the reveals

That's how it often work in real life. Someone's hyper-competent and can solve everyone else's problem but THIS ONE PERSON they care about is their kryptonite. It's why therapists still need therapists, even though they might be great at it themselves.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

he's hosed up because he's hosed up, though. like his 7am - 2am days running around picking up loose change are part of who he is; he never stops, he just keeps getting worse. to me the ex-something is a symptom more than a cause.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Megazver posted:

That's how it often work in real life. Someone's hyper-competent and can solve everyone else's problem but THIS ONE PERSON they care about is their kryptonite. It's why therapists still need therapists, even though they might be great at it themselves.

And I'm pretty sure they're the definition of 'doctors make the worst patients'.

The technology is quite schizophrenic by our standards; they have personal computers but they don't seem to have reactive screens. But most pop culture and underground stuff (like the snuff recordings) is mentioned to be over the radio. It seems they don't have broadcast television, though they do have film. I get the impression the war set back technological progress in Revachol by quite a ways, and I imagine given the way the world works and how isolated... well, isolas can be, that technology might be more advanced elsewhere.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i mean christ look at the armour, that poo poo's magical

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

At one point I thought the twist was gonna be that Harry did the murder. The car reveal, the love/communism hints talking to the body, and an incidental line of dialogue in the sniper hideout where you can suggest to Kim that the killer might still be RIGHT HERE, got me thinking down that path. It would have been a really stupid but kind of satisfying ending. Pick your own motive!
Talk to Kim about the case and pass a Conceptualization check to make it more interesting.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Televisions aren't a thing in the world of Elysium, are they? Neither are film movies, unless I'm forgetting something. Which makes sense since it seems like photography is a relatively recent invention.

Dunno why I just thought of that now, but it's something I never really thought about before.

I assume you don't see many TVs because of the particular socio-economic circumstances of Martinaise (its poor)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

I have a thing against this game similar to what I have against Blood Bowl. I know that failing dice throws is supposed to be the half of the fun, but I feel like the game is constantly gatekeeping me from the non-minimal basic story stuff.

No matter my build, the game keeps giving me poo poo throws on the story rolls and critical stuff for which I might even have more than 80% chances, making all games more or less samey story. The alcoholic loser who cannot get anything done in my both tryouts, brawny and brainy guy, both have had to resort to the same "couldn't pass anything else"-approaches on my test games to the end of day 2.

And its getting really loving boring to do the initial investigation, again, because this game is like a Japanese 80's van diesel engine in a sub-zero morning. Brilliant, but it takes loving ages to get going.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

I have a thing against this game similar to what I have against Blood Bowl. I know that failing dice throws is supposed to be the half of the fun, but I feel like the game is constantly gatekeeping me from the non-minimal basic story stuff.

No matter my build, the game keeps giving me poo poo throws on the story rolls and critical stuff for which I might even have more than 80% chances, making all games more or less samey story. The alcoholic loser who cannot get anything done in my both tryouts, brawny and brainy guy, both have had to resort to the same "couldn't pass anything else"-approaches on my test games to the end of day 2.

And its getting really loving boring to do the initial investigation, again, because this game is like a Japanese 80's van diesel engine in a sub-zero morning. Brilliant, but it takes loving ages to get going.

the red checks are fine, but the white checks are the absolute worst part of the game.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

TommyGun85 posted:

the red checks are fine, but the white checks are the absolute worst part of the game.

What the hell? Just come back a bit later and try again, geez.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Jack Trades posted:

What the hell? Just come back a bit later and try again, geez.

when you have a 80%+ chance of succeeding, but are then required to come back and try again later, it becomes annoying. I would have preferred every check to have been a one-time red check where even failing at a high percentage could lead to an interesting outcome.

Im not saying its awful, but its the mechanic of the game I found most tedious.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
play xcom

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TommyGun85 posted:

when you have a 80%+ chance of succeeding, but are then required to come back and try again later, it becomes annoying. I would have preferred every check to have been a one-time red check where even failing at a high percentage could lead to an interesting outcome.

Im not saying its awful, but its the mechanic of the game I found most tedious.

that sounds worse

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I was down on the white checks for a bit too but there is often a way to reset them from doing other stuff and getting bonus' for it. As long as failing sends me to do stuff, it ain't too onerous

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I don't see the shame in save scumming if it gets frustrating to see the same thing again. Mind you, I'm a proponent of playing games exactly to my satisfaction, no more and no less.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Kaysette posted:

that sounds worse

or maybe failing the white check makes you lose health or morale, but allows you to retry instantly?

I dont know, I just hate that it locks the check and you have to go do other things until you can reset it. It really makes the experience disjointed where you have to jump around doing random things instead of actually following through with something you are focused on.

Subjectivity is implied.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
If you could open white checks with health/morale, or if each day they always unlocked regardless I would like them more.

EDIT : Because, while not doing somethings can be fitting. And feeling forced to say, work with Measurehead is a thing I can appreciate, too many of them are boring to fail.

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
I liked how the white check system encouraged you to spend points in varied skills rather than RPG min-maxing. It’s very generous with points so it works out well. A system where it unlocks every day etc wouldn’t have the same effect. Though near the end of the game it got kind of silly, I had about 10 skill points left over so I ran around spamming points to unlock white checks (god drat it Kim WILL dance with me no matter what it takes)

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The problem I have with white checks is that you do eventually run up against a hard wall for the number of times you can retry them. It also makes it so that when you put a point in a stat, you kind of want to run all over the map and retry any other checks that have been unlocked. Easy solution though: just allow the player to keep spending points on a stat even after you reach the training cap, which wouldn't increase the stat but would unlock white checks.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Sounds like you guys kind of missed the game's theme of accepting and learning to live with your failures.

The figurines, guys, they do nothing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If I couldn't live with my failures, I'd stop posting.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

In my first game I failed to get the corpse down and failed to get into the harbour compound to see evrart for like 3 days. just did other poo poo until I finally managed to pass one of the skill tests to get into the harbour. my constant failures were pretty amusing and I still enjoyed that run quite a lot.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I just want a fast travel option.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Getting into the harbour was okay to fail at, as there's a few separate options to deal with the issue. Same with failing to get the corpse down, as its early on in the game so there's plenty of immediate distractions.

The worst white checks are the series of back and forths between Hardie and Klassje. I think there's like 4 or 5 checks in a row, passing them are the only way to advance the story, and they have you returning to the same few spots with a few of the passes not necessarily revealing anything immediately important. To add to that most of the new content is probably on the farside of the map on the coast line.

Maybe I'm biased because I failed them a bunch, but they felt like the biggest drag. It'd be better if you had a few more ways of progressing.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jack Trades posted:

Sounds like you guys kind of missed the game's theme of accepting and learning to live with your failures.

No, she'll like the figurines. Shut up, idiot, what do you even know?!!?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

The third time you fail the check, Kim steps in and allows you to move on regardless.

IIRC, you only need to pass 2 checks, the rest is flavor.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

JustaDamnFool posted:

I think there's like 4 or 5 checks in a row, passing them are the only way to advance the story, and they have you returning to the same few spots with a few of the passes not necessarily revealing anything immediately important.

People keep bringing this up: there's only two checks you need to pass to win the game, and this isn't one of them.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

I was mostly fine with failing white checks because there was always something else I could do, and constantly bouncing between different areas of the investigation just to have something to do seems like a very Harry thing to do. More checks that could be unlocked through getting bonuses would probably be nice though, adds more flavour than just coming back tomorrow. But probably unfeasible for the deadline.

Also they probably should have made it so that when you have all the bonuses you can possibly get for these checks:

Arrhythmia posted:

People keep bringing this up: there's only two checks you need to pass to win the game, and this isn't one of them.

it gives you "inevitably succeeded" even if you get snake eyes. Do they do this? I don't know

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Arrhythmia posted:

Which two are those? I assume one is the Shivers check on the coast, what’s the other?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Which two are those? I assume one is the Shivers check on the coast, what’s the other?

Thats it as far as i know. There is the Titus one, but Kim can intervene.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Jack Trades posted:

Kinda this. I love that this game lets you fail. Your stories become different every play though due in no small part to having to explore and open different avenues due to failed checks. If you’re playing this game to beat it instead of experience it, you won’t get everything it has to offer.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Your stories become different every play though due in no small part to having to explore and open different avenues due to failed checks.

...Leading back to my original problem with the game; both my brainy and brawny detective types keep failing the same checks. This leading to more or less the same story, since it seems to be purely dice and luck-driven system like Blood Bowl with its abilities.

Some form of "X daily rerolls" or "select outcome if over 85% certainty" could or should be at least an option for difficulty.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Aug 11, 2020

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Yeah, and then one of teleport to the roof, or break down the door.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

this game is so good that even if you play a save-edited supercop with maxed out stats you can gently caress up a lot, especially if you don't pay attention to how your skills work and what biases they have

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Jack Trades posted:

Listen, I'm on my third playthough and I'm getting those loving sunglasses. I know they're in there. I am the sea monster. Let me be the sea monster, god dammit. "Can I interest you in a frog hat" no you can't.

Ragnar34 fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Aug 12, 2020

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Buy the glasses and the hat.

Go ahead and save scum if you want. Much like the figurines, it doesn't matter in the end.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The only annoying "missable" items based on actually failing a white check are the Half-Light pants and Perception glasses/hat that the clothing salesman offers. If you succeed the checks, there's no way to go back to search for the failed items, as far as I know, and that sucks.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Buy the glasses and the hat.

Go ahead and save scum if you want. Much like the figurines, it doesn't matter in the end.

Only because the Gloaming is nigh. Leaving that aside, the glasses are very important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I finished the game a while back, but have just been soaking up reactions and observations in the thread before I bothered posting.

My first playthrough was a classic sorry commie cop, 4/4/2/2 iirc. I critically failed the karaoke even though my drama was good, and was very happy about it. That was my only savescum... not to pass the roll this time, but to at least be dressed with more dignity as I proudly bared my gigantic soul. And to put headphones on to fully appreciate the "failure" in all its glory.

I listened to the alternate karaoke version later on youtube, and it is such a great mental image, to think of someone pumping up their drama with the usual clothing to smoothly deliver that gritty-voiced "success" while still dressed like that.

Now that I'm going full spoilers, I've heard some things about the tie. I didn't need the spirit bomb since I had my gun (also Ruby's gun :smith:), but it's funny how I ended up missing out. When the tie was telling me to buy the blue liquor to begin with, I already thought this thing must be in league with Electrochemistry and should be treated with caution. Then I read the quest description about how the tie was "preparing for endgame" and thought it was planning to endgame ME by convincing me to somehow consume this stuff. I removed the tie in terror, and kept it off the rest of the game. I'm sorry now for doubting you, friend!

My newest run I'm working on is a super Composure cop, trying to act like everything is cool and not let on that anything is wrong whenever possible. No memory loss here, nope! Couldn't avoid Kim knowing, so he can be in on the secret, but I did at least avoid letting on to my team that I lost my gun. Sucks that I'll miss out on a lot of the cool discussion with Joyce this time, but I'm looking forward to the Evrart boss fight soon.

But back to my first run... in endgame, I hosed up and Ruby died, I hosed up and a lot of people at the Tribunal died... but I passed the Kim check. I passed the Kim check.

The phasmid was incredible, not only the writing but also the visual effect when you first literally see it as it moves among the reeds. Such a great holy poo poo moment even before I got to talk to it. I didn't take a picture, though. After the things it said about the pale, it felt kind of wrong? Like the act of taking a photograph was just more of that human drive to capture and enslave the world inside its own awareness.

I'll echo a lot of the thoughts already posted here that this game, and the endgame in particular, has felt very therapeutic to me. I had some struggles over the past year with repeatedly dwelling too long on things, and having a hard time moving on when something originally so powerfully positive ended up really hurting me, right down to the same "brain just refusing to reconcile it" feeling people keep saying about our PC. I could sympathise so much with the Deserter too, especially when Empathy was pointing out how he didn't want to see people moving on, how dare they forget and keep smiling? The whole encounter with him already had me just crying my eyes out, and then that shift to the background...

I do still think the Deserter has a bit of a point sometimes. Sometimes people "move past" things only to drape themselves in a cloak of maturity while ignoring or perpetuating injustice that should still be fought. Or to make an excuse for giving up the fight, when you should be trying to keep building communism even if it's impossible. But you don't want to end up like this guy... and accepting the simple fact that something is irrevocably gone isn't one of those things. Harry isn't accomplishing anything good or righting any wrong by needlessly torturing himself for six years. He really does need to learn to let it go. For himself, and for the working class. :unsmith:

I like to think that even if I think too much like the Deserter sometimes, I can at least turn my head and still see all that is good and wonderful in the world instead. (as embodied by the phasmid Kim.)

This game is goddamn art.