Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I know i posted PushingUpRoses Pete and Pete video a while back, but she's done a bunch of vids on Nickelodeon shows.

Salute Your Shorts
https://youtu.be/mYI5p88mHOE

Hey Dude
https://youtu.be/vQfYtmkpczU

Doug
https://youtu.be/K7GR2dYykfk

And she's done a bunch of vids on Are you Afraid of the Dark
https://youtu.be/euXCmCQFqO8

And Goosebumps
https://youtu.be/BzeT7v-x2Po

She's also probably the youngest person who cares about Murder She Wrote, but that's more of an 80s series (even though it went well into the 90s).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

twistedmentat posted:

She's also probably the youngest person who cares about Murder She Wrote, but that's more of an 80s series (even though it went well into the 90s).
Murder She Wrote kept using film stock instead of tape and as a result it looks really nice.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

dialhforhero posted:

I watched Clarissa Explains it all because it was on tv regardless of being a boy. :colbert:

Same here. I was also the perfect age for and very into Space Cases when it aired - which I only realised much later in life had Jewel Staite in it as a rainbow-haired girl from one of the moons of Saturn (maybe? all the kids were from different planets) whose screams could shatter glass and stuff!

BAGABEEZA BAGABEEZA BAGABEEZA

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Pastry of the Year posted:

I love Gilbert and whoever decided to cast him as the host of such an event absolutely had a moment in which they thought "I cannot believe I'm actually getting away with this"

Along with Joey Lawrence and RuPaul. MTV had a documentary thing they did about Spring Break and as per Ed Lover, the tapes from that were destroyed.

Eldritch BiLast
Jul 7, 2009

Pummel Sylvanas
Melee Range
Instant

FilthyImp posted:

There's one in DTLA with Karaoke and bowling and games and food. Been to one in Irvine that has rows of selfie booths too. Those seem fun if you're 20

Round 1. They're the only authorized eamuse location in the states so if you like bemani games, they're top tier.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

I also watched Clarissa Explains It All despite my maleness.

e: she taught me about getting a summer job

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Clarissa's mom was way hotter than I realized

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Yeah I never felt it was a "girls show". I always figured it was just another teen sitcom like Saved By The Bell and..that other one.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs
Kablam! was overall great, but for me was primarily a vehicle to consume Sniz and Fondue.

/Stuntbike Sniz! Keep your eyes where the action is!

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

I was a fun of the melted action figure guy.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I remember Clarissa explains it all, was probably 12 or so when I watched it, really liked the show. Used to air in the mornings on TV during summer break, which was when they had a bunch of shows aimed at kids, everything was packaged inside a bigger summer break show.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Yea Clarissa was great, and I never realized how relatively progressive it was at the time. Those 90s nick shows were punching way above their weight.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

krinklechip posted:

Kablam! was overall great, but for me was primarily a vehicle to consume Sniz and Fondue.

/Stuntbike Sniz! Keep your eyes where the action is!

Prometheus and Bob are about to kill you in your sleep.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I didn't actively watch Clarrissa but that was because I didn't have cable when it was airing. I think I saw maybe 3 episodes between the beginning and summer of 1994 when we got cable. At that time it was nearing the end of it's run, and I just didn't go out of my way to watch.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

twistedmentat posted:

I like how she points out that Clarissa was shown to have a computer and it was not considered strange or made her a nerd, it was just something she did. And now having a computer is still seen to be be the sign of a nerd these days.

You know, that thing that everyone uses.

A lot of people only use smartphones/tablets now and while yeah they're just portable computers people don't think of them that way.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

It's my favorite way of being 'progressive', which is having something be totally normal, not drawing attention to it. Clarissa uses a computer. She has a platonic friend. She wears funky clothing. If characters in the show don't give two shits, why should you?

Sam's character made me envious as a 10 year old, because I wanted to have a friend like Clarissa. Not because she was a girl, but because it was cool the way they hung out.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Took me too long to realise that kid didn't have 2 noses

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Rondette posted:

Yeah they clearly have 3

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Rondette posted:

That was June not some kid

How about the Nickelodeon ad campaign that told you their entire lineup in song?

Woo News Hey Strange Wild Skeet Hey Strange Wild Skeeter Blam Animorphs

Mystery Files of Shelby Woo and Nick News with Linda Ellermanbee
Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Wild Thornberries Cousin Skeeter
Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Kablam Animorphs

I can't remember poo poo I did last week but I remember that lineup

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

remember Ozone (the nickelodeon programming block not the atmospheric concept)

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yeah I never felt it was a "girls show". I always figured it was just another teen sitcom like Saved By The Bell and..that other one.

California Dreams? Hang Time? Welcome Freshmen? USA High?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
https://twitter.com/ladymisskate/status/1293590178896912385?s=20

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Ugh that gives me flashbacks....

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

ZDar Fan posted:

California Dreams? Hang Time? Welcome Freshmen? USA High?

Yeah that one.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

:lmao:

Do they even make battery testers anymore? I remember my dad had one, and we'd have a big box of batteries that we'd dig through and test them to make sure they were good.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Len posted:

How about the Nickelodeon ad campaign that told you their entire lineup in song?

Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Kablam Animorphs

Wow, I probably haven't thought about Alan Strange in 20 years. I think it just blended into Alex Mack as another "Teen with strange powers show" for me.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

I remember that poo poo from before it was built into the battery. The plastic shell packaging had the tester on it, completely useless as who the gently caress is going to keep an old battery packet around for a couple of months to test an old battery.

edit: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SydgQDuJLYc

GrandMaster has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Aug 13, 2020

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!
https://i.imgur.com/wekbmvj.gifv

:argh:

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Pneub posted:

Prometheus and Bob are about to kill you in your sleep.

Release at last. I'll return this toaster and extension cord then.

Len posted:

Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Hey Arnold Alan Strange
Kablam Animorphs

...then the streamlined version later: HAAMHAMKABLAMSW

Hey Arnold
Alex Mack
Hey Arnold
Alex Mack
KABLAM!
Snick
5W News

Ambitious Spider posted:

Yea Clarissa was great, and I never realized how relatively progressive it was at the time. Those 90s nick shows were punching way above their weight.

They really did. Pete and Pete for all its deliberate (super fun) weirdness tackled some fundamental kid/young teen stuff, as did Roundhouse. ...and early All That still stands up to kid-aimed comedy without being too cringey or feeling like a product of its time.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

ookiimarukochan posted:

A lot of people only use smartphones/tablets now and while yeah they're just portable computers people don't think of them that way.
My impression is that computer destigmatisation either barely happened or never took place at all for a lot of people, since there was an easy excuse to not bother re-examining those hangups in the proliferation of smartphones as something that supplanted an existing "socially acceptable" use of tech while incorporating functionality that had previously only been available on PCs.

When I was in high school (mid 2000s) using a computer/the internet for anything other than schoolwork was considered at best kinda weird and sad, and at worst a sign that you were pathologically detached from reality and probably dangerous. It only abated a tiny bit towards the end once bebo and facebook came around, and people started getting the hookup on pirated movies and TV shows being passed around school on burned CDs. Even then, using facebook still carried this sheepish air of "ugh yes I know it's a saddo internet freak thing but I promise it's actually kinda cool".

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5zMtCvWhG0

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

krinklechip posted:

Release at last. I'll return this toaster and extension cord then.

Prometheus is fuckin down but Bob's gonna gently caress this up.

Shy and Shameless
Jul 15, 2015

Raised by birbs

Pneub posted:

Prometheus is fuckin down but Bob's gonna gently caress this up.

We shall pin our hopes on the monkey, then.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
any one remember some 90s r&b song where the singer is like "lets talk about the nation lets talk revelations" ?

not jaheim

this aint much to go on lol asking for my dude

verbal enema has a new favorite as of 04:11 on Aug 15, 2020

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Sounds like something from Arrested Development (not the TV show), or the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

gently caress me 90s optimism was tight.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I used to pester the poo poo out of mom to buy Duracells just so I could use that goddamned feature. Pretty sure the 9-volts had the package testers, too, but I could never get those to work.

Pretty good posted:

My impression is that computer destigmatisation either barely happened or never took place at all for a lot of people, since there was an easy excuse to not bother re-examining those hangups in the proliferation of smartphones as something that supplanted an existing "socially acceptable" use of tech while incorporating functionality that had previously only been available on PCs.

I blame the Sidekick for bridging the gap between cell phone texting and smartphone Internet surfing. Those things were all the rage in high school and college until the iPhone debuted.

Having a computer you could literally stick in your pocket also appeals to people who couldn't or wouldn't lug a 14-inch laptop around.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Found this in a comic from 1996:

As someone who loves to collect TV, the idea of paying $1,527.52 in 2020 money for the entire run of a series makes me queasy, especially considering I just spent $84.78 in 1996 money for an 8 TB hard drive specifically intended to hold more legally-acquired television than I might ever be able to watch, even in ~endless quarantine~

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

Seriously, being able to stream shows still feels like such a luxury sometimes. I remember trying to get as many DS9 episodes on VHS as possible but there were like 2 episodes on each tape and I think the entire series was like $900 or something equally painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

They carried on doing that poo poo with DVDs for a while. They'd release a series, but not as a box-set, you had to buy 45 discs with two episodes each.