Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I think "causality can't be violated" is an interesting premise on its own, since it beats free will to death like a baby seal, and the characters get to reckon with the fact that none of their choices in life have any cosmic significance and they'll have to live their life with that illusion shattered. If you ask me, that's a pretty grim fate.

But I'm not going to jump that far ahead. This is very clearly that the Norns at minimum experience time as a line or a plane rather than a point. If causality can't be violated, it's a line. If it can/time can branch, it's a plane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
Kat’s really gonna lose it when she learns they read Ah! My Goddess at her suggestion

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Dr Subterfuge posted:

I suppose it could be confirmation of a loop. I guess the reason it doesn't seem as likely to me is because it's less interesting to me. To me this situation doesn't seem to require a loop any more than Jones' and Coyote's does, where the "solution" to the time paradox has been "deal with it" and the world merrily continues without needing to explain its apparent contradictions. If the real solution is "causality can't actually be violated, what we are seeing is iterations of the same timeline interacting with each other" that takes some of the magic out of the setting for me. But whether I think loops are fun or not doesn't preclude them from existing, so I'll retract my earlier statement.
A loop implies one timeline, part of the past of which is dependent on future actions.
Many universes is the opposite of a loop, where each interaction forks off a fresh universe.
Or there's the interpretation where in this universe Kat always goes back in time to save Annie but not always in exactly the same way.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Splicer posted:

Pretty sure she's saying they've had this meeting many times before but in this one she's started messing with time a little younger than usual.

Maybe, or it could be that she meets with them multiple times over the course of her life. And this is the first one.

Think of it like the wormhole aliens from DS9 who don't have a linear sense of time.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 18, 2020

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

maybe Kat can't handle the concept of magic or time shenanigans, but if the norns find the right anime/manga comparison to make, she'll think it's cool

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Splicer posted:

A loop implies one timeline, part of the past of which is dependent on future actions.
Many universes is the opposite of a loop, where each interaction forks off a fresh universe.
Or there's the interpretation where in this universe Kat always goes back in time to save Annie but not always in exactly the same way.

Kat's idea of a loop is explicitly not a single timeline. It's where a progenitor Kat who experienced Annie's death goes back and changes the past, and subsequent Kats do a similar thing without feeling the loss first. That's the idea of a loop I was reacting to. Bootstrapping is also a sort of loop, but not the kind that would mean different iterations of Kat have visited the Norms. It's the kind that says this Kat is destined to visit them again in the future (to send the Tic Toc back in time multiple times, which has already happened), and what I was originally claiming.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
BelldandyVerdandi's hairstyle is a mirror image of Kat's.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

like if the norns bring up steins;gate then kat will forget about her crisis and just start getting into an argument about which steins;gate spinoff is the superior one and then she'll angrily log into myanimelist and leave 1/10 reviews

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Oh no I've been saying Norms instead of Norns.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Noms

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

"Norns" are beings from "Norse" mythology. "Nords" are from Skyrim. "Norms" are what recently proved insufficient to stop bad actors in government.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Norms are physical constants in the space-time continuum, usually found in drinking establishments where everyone knows your name

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It's a nice touch that each time we get a panel where someone else speaks, the Norns are drawn to mirror the speaker.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Warmachine posted:

It's a nice touch that each time we get a panel where someone else speaks, the Norns are drawn to mirror the speaker.

I wonder how an animated version would handle this.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

Mraagvpeine posted:

I wonder how an animated version would handle this.

Camera angles.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

Wa11y posted:

I'm sure I'm putting more thought into this than Tom has (and it may never be relevant to the story), but is Urth an extrapolation of what you would look like older, or an actual projection of you in the future? Like, if you were going to die in a few days, would Verthandi (present) and Urth (future) look pretty much the same, or will Urth always look like old you, even if you'll never get old (because you're immortal or dying)?

I supposed that may be answered by Kat looking human and not like a Cyber bird, though there's no confirmation yet that she'll LOOK like that in the future, that may just be what her...spirit? ether projection? looks like, and possibly only to Zimmy Zims.

Well, that answers that! I suppose it's time to stop questioning Tom, and just go along for the ride!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The good news is, Tom can read your mind. The bad news is, Tom can read your mind.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

CJacobs posted:

The good news is, Tom can read your mind. The bad news is, Tom can read your mind.
We've known that since The Torn Sea when Jenny was introduced. Kat thought it and we all thought it too.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
*Kat sees herself in her late-20s*

"Looks like you've lived a full life. Time to die."

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"One of us tells the truth and one always lies!"

"What about the third one?"

"The third one is holding a plant."

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

CJacobs posted:

Ok, whoever said this speaks the truth.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Kennel posted:

*Kat sees herself in her late-20s*

"Looks like you've lived a full life. Time to die."
Yeah that cracked me up and extremely teens-ish to have your "ancient" version be 30 max

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kennel posted:

Ok, whoever said this speaks the truth.

But what if they're lying about which one is the third one ;)

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

What if the first statement is also a lie?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
"All three of us are liars!! Haha!! Got you, dope!!" Zimmy says as she takes off her Skuld mask

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Dr Subterfuge posted:

In an alternate universe where time travel is common, a gatekeeping putdown involves this.

"RREEEEE. No time can't be DONE that way. loving Nornies."

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Donkringel posted:

In an alternate universe where time travel is common, a gatekeeping putdown involves this.

"RREEEEE. No time can't be DONE that way. loving Nornies."

"die shifted scum"

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

CJacobs posted:

"One of us tells the truth and one always lies!"

"What about the third one?"

When the third one is a little Kat she's super adorable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

This panel is my favorite Skuld panel

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

Nitrousoxide posted:

Maybe, or it could be that she meets with them multiple times over the course of her life. And this is the first one.

Think of it like the wormhole aliens from DS9 who don't have a linear sense of time.

Oh so like homestuck

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I know the appearance is highly customized, but this just makes it sound like a woman in her early thirties has lead a full life and can be discarded, which is a bit weird, honestly.

Also, what happens if a person comes in who's already pretty much dead?

Vonnie
Sep 13, 2011
It's because she undergoes Apotheosis.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

I know the appearance is highly customized, but this just makes it sound like a woman in her early thirties has lead a full life and can be discarded, which is a bit weird, honestly.

It would depend on whether that person feels like their life is entirely behind them.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

I'm sure she kind of already knows but all the same maybe no one should relay what Urðr just said to Paz.

madjack
Dec 31, 2013

maswastaken posted:

I'm sure she kind of already knows but all the same maybe no one should relay what Urðr just said to Paz.

Yeah I read that whole confrontation scene that Zimmy intervened in as Paz trying desperately not to admit that to herself.

madjack fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 17, 2020

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

cant cook creole bream posted:

It makes it sound like a 16 (?) year old girl considers 30 to be hella old

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The last few pages are very cool and Skuld is cute!

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
Inspiration flashes and Kat shifts a version of herself from another universe so she can both spend time with Paz and get into hijinx with Annies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Nitrousoxide posted:

Wow, guess I nailed that one.