Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Figured it was time to start thinking about building a new pc since my current one was built right when Diablo 3 came out which was apparently almost ten years ago.

I'll primarily be using it for lots of 3D modeling, rendering, game dev, some video editing, and.shitloads of Cyberpunk 2077. I plan on using my 980Ti until I hear more about the 3000 RTX cards in a few weeks.

It would be great to hear if there's anything glaringly bad or wrong here, as I've not really kept up with PC hardware, aside from GPUs, over the last ten years or so.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1699.83

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Gearman posted:

Figured it was time to start thinking about building a new pc since my current one was built right when Diablo 3 came out which was apparently almost ten years ago.

I'll primarily be using it for lots of 3D modeling, rendering, game dev, some video editing, and.shitloads of Cyberpunk 2077. I plan on using my 980Ti until I hear more about the 3000 RTX cards in a few weeks.

It would be great to hear if there's anything glaringly bad or wrong here, as I've not really kept up with PC hardware, aside from GPUs, over the last ten years or so.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.90 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($379.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($354.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Corsair MP600 Force Series Gen4 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($194.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($149.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1699.83

Is there any particular reason you need the ROG Crosshair Mobo?
You could probably scale down to a Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Elite or a MSI X570 Tomahawk (if you can find one-- They're plentiful at MSRP in Canada) and save some money towards a 3000 series.

That corsair M2 drive seems ridiculous and I'm not even sure if the built in heatsink it comes from will give you the clearance to fit it into the slot for something like the Crosshair.
I think you'd be better served switching to an SN750 and getting a nice discount. Otherwise everything else looks good. M2 drives only have some heat issues if you're running them in server type applications.

If you don't care about aesthetics that much (your DRP 4 blocks the RAM) I'd recommend getting Crucial Ballistix 3600MHZ CL16 ram since its very compatible with Ryzen CPUs. It'll cost less and perform better.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there any particular reason you need the ROG Crosshair Mobo?
You could probably scale down to a Gigabyte Aorus Pro/Elite or a MSI X570 Tomahawk (if you can find one-- They're plentiful at MSRP in Canada) and save some money towards a 3000 series.

That corsair M2 drive seems ridiculous and I'm not even sure if the built in heatsink it comes from will give you the clearance to fit it into the slot for something like the Crosshair.
I think you'd be better served switching to an SN750 and getting a nice discount. Otherwise everything else looks good. M2 drives only have some heat issues if you're running them in server type applications.

If you don't care about aesthetics that much (your DRP 4 blocks the RAM) I'd recommend getting Crucial Ballistix 3600MHZ CL16 ram since its very compatible with Ryzen CPUs. It'll cost less and perform better.

This is all great info, thanks!

No particular need for the Crosshair Mobo. It just seemed to be popular? It was tough trying to find info on what might make them "good"outside of the x570 chipset that I wanted (pci-e 4.0 sounds pretty good, and I'd likely benefit from it over the next few years).

I only went with that Corsair drive because it's apparently pci-e 4.0? Again, not really sure and I was pretty confused by the filter options in pcpartpicker for that sort of thing. I'm happy to swap to something else!

Great info about the DRP blocking the ram (how can you tell?), I do not care one bit about my ram a e s t h e t i c as long as it's fast and plentiful.

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011
So I let go of my idea of reusing old parts and just threw together something completely new with the help of pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Ventus XS OC Video Card
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Reeven Euros 62.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $420.94
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 07:15 EDT-0400

SSDs will be the only parts I will reuse from my old build.

Any comments or warnings? Here's my use case again from last page:

The main purpose of this machine is emulation (old school up to PS2/Dolphin), cranking up the resolution and AA as much as I can manage. At the same time it would be cool if it could run some older games via Steam, Witcher 3 being the main example (nothing too fancy in terms of graphics settings).

Thanks again.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Gearman posted:

This is all great info, thanks!

No particular need for the Crosshair Mobo. It just seemed to be popular? It was tough trying to find info on what might make them "good"outside of the x570 chipset that I wanted (pci-e 4.0 sounds pretty good, and I'd likely benefit from it over the next few years).

I only went with that Corsair drive because it's apparently pci-e 4.0? Again, not really sure and I was pretty confused by the filter options in pcpartpicker for that sort of thing. I'm happy to swap to something else!

Great info about the DRP blocking the ram (how can you tell?), I do not care one bit about my ram a e s t h e t i c as long as it's fast and plentiful.

Thanks again for the advice, I really appreciate it!

The problem with PCIe 4.0 SSDs right now is that the drives themselves (I assume because of the controllers?) aren't actually capable of using the extra bandwidth to any meaningful degree. Like even in synthetic benchmarks the results are very :effort: compared to PCIe 3.0 drives, and in real use they kind of don't seem to DO anything.

Allegedly Samsung is coming up with a new controller for their 980 Pro 4.0 that's coming out (eventually) that will at least give it a real speed advantage in benchmarks, but even then it may not actually have a real world impact on the vast majority of uses.

tl,dr is a WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro are better high performance M.2 drives right now and cost less.

The Tomahawk x570 is a very nice board if you can get it and really has everything you could actually use, just realize the real price is supposed to be around $200 because vendors like to scalp it big-time and it constantly goes out of stock in the US. I actually really like the ROG Strix B550-F as well, it's built like a tank and actually has nicer features than most X570 boards near its price (like intel 2.5g lan instead of realtek and bios flashback). In some ways it's an above average X570 board with newer add-on bits and no chipset fan, but you are limited to one 4.0 x16 slot and one 4.0 x4 M.2 slot, with the other M.2 slot fixed at 3.0 x4. But again, M.2 4.0 x4 doesn't do anything yet.

The specs for the cooler should list any ram height limitations. Some big coolers like the Noctua D15S are offset to avoid interference, others have problems if you don't use low profile stuff like LPX.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

FeastForCows posted:

So I let go of my idea of reusing old parts and just threw together something completely new with the help of pcpartpicker:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-10100 3.6 GHz Quad-Core Processor ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock B460M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1200 Motherboard ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2666 CL15 Memory ($57.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER 4 GB Ventus XS OC Video Card
Case: Silverstone SG13 Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Reeven Euros 62.1 CFM 120 mm Fan ($7.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $420.94
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 07:15 EDT-0400

SSDs will be the only parts I will reuse from my old build.

Any comments or warnings? Here's my use case again from last page:

The main purpose of this machine is emulation (old school up to PS2/Dolphin), cranking up the resolution and AA as much as I can manage. At the same time it would be cool if it could run some older games via Steam, Witcher 3 being the main example (nothing too fancy in terms of graphics settings).

Thanks again.

Why intel?

Also with the SG13 I'd be sorely tempted to use a 120mm AIO because the space is so limited for a CPU cooler and the airflow is so bad in those tiny boxes. PC part picker is full of SG13 builds with 120mm AIOs.

And for your sanity use a modular SFX power supply with one of the little ATX-SFX adapters when doing a tiny build.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Aug 12, 2020

FeastForCows
Oct 18, 2011

sean10mm posted:

Why intel?

Also with the SG13 I'd be sorely tempted to use a 120mm AIO because the space is so limited for a CPU cooler and the airflow is so bad in those tiny boxes.

And for your sanity use a modular SFX power supply with one of the little ATX-SFX adapters when doing a tiny build.

I really have no clue about CPUs, this was recommended to me. Should I go with a Ryzen? They're actually all I see recently in emulation builds.

Any recommendations for a 120mm AIO? CoolerMaster? Corsair maybe?

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

The problem with PCIe 4.0 SSDs right now is that the drives themselves (I assume because of the controllers?) aren't actually capable of using the extra bandwidth to any meaningful degree. Like even in synthetic benchmarks the results are very :effort: compared to PCIe 3.0 drives, and in real use they kind of don't seem to DO anything.

Allegedly Samsung is coming up with a new controller for their 980 Pro 4.0 that's coming out (eventually) that will at least give it a real speed advantage in benchmarks, but even then it may not actually have a real world impact on the vast majority of uses.

tl,dr is a WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro are better high performance M.2 drives right now and cost less.

The Tomahawk x570 is a very nice board if you can get it and really has everything you could actually use, just realize the real price is supposed to be around $200 because vendors like to scalp it big-time and it constantly goes out of stock in the US. I actually really like the ROG Strix B550-F as well, it's built like a tank and actually has nicer features than most X570 boards near its price (like intel 2.5g lan instead of realtek and bios flashback). In some ways it's an above average X570 board with newer add-on bits and no chipset fan, but you are limited to one 4.0 x16 slot and one 4.0 x4 M.2 slot, with the other M.2 slot fixed at 3.0 x4. But again, M.2 4.0 x4 doesn't do anything yet.

The specs for the cooler should list any ram height limitations. Some big coolers like the Noctua D15S are offset to avoid interference, others have problems if you don't use low profile stuff like LPX.

This is awesome, thank you. I'm in no real hurry to buy, but would like to start ordering soon, so I'll keep an eye on available Tomahawk boards at a decent price.

I've swapped in WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro in my notes as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gearman posted:

This is awesome, thank you. I'm in no real hurry to buy, but would like to start ordering soon, so I'll keep an eye on available Tomahawk boards at a decent price.

I've swapped in WD SN750 or XPG 8200 Pro in my notes as well.

Thanks again, really appreciate it!

If you're going with the Meshify C, it really benefits cooling-wise from replacing the 1x120mm front fan it comes with stock with 2x140mm fans. Like Noctua NF-P14s Redux PWM. GamersNexus did a test with it and the CPU temps dropped like a stone, and normally they're like $15 each.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

sean10mm posted:

If you're going with the Meshify C, it really benefits cooling-wise from replacing the 1x120mm front fan it comes with stock with 2x140mm fans. Like Noctua NF-P14s Redux PWM. GamersNexus did a test with it and the CPU temps dropped like a stone, and normally they're like $15 each.

I'm pretty sold on the Meshify if I can find it in white. My current case is a Fractal R5, which I really love, so I'd like to stick with Fractal this time, too.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fans. I've shaved about $200 off my original spec and, given the improvement, I think that's a pretty easy buy.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Gearman posted:

I'm pretty sold on the Meshify if I can find it in white. My current case is a Fractal R5, which I really love, so I'd like to stick with Fractal this time, too.

Thanks for the heads-up on the fans. I've shaved about $200 off my original spec and, given the improvement, I think that's a pretty easy buy.

Here's the GamersNexus testing of the Meshify C: https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3061-fractal-meshify-c-review-vs-define-c

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
Howdy Guys,

I am building a computer for the first time and getting completely lost in the possibilities. My budget is 1000 Euros (living in Germany atm) and this will be my general use computer (I am about to start a course in Game Design and do some graphic design work, but nothing too taxing), and ofcourse gaming. With regards to the latter I would like to be able to not have to worry about if my computer can run new releases on above par settings for as long as possible. I am coming from console and only ever play on lovely monitors/ TV so am not too sensitive when it comes to fps and resolution- 1080 60 is fine for me. I will be using an old 60Hz LED monitor for the time being (but would likely upgrade at a certain point).

Those things in mind- I have frankenstined together a parts list which I am almost certain is sub optimal- I would really appreciate it if anyone has some advice, or can point out any glaring faults. I am lacking a cooler (as I have absolutely no idea where to start, and the lists I butchered together didnt have one). Obviously if there are any cheaper options for the parts I would love to hear! I want to keep this between 900-1000EUR

Also worth pointing out that I absolutely could not care less how the thing looks in the end so if I have accidentally picked some flashy bits which have more ugly yet cheaper (or better performing) competitors then please let me know!

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HRXnb8

Cheers,

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Science_enthusiast posted:

Howdy Guys,

I am building a computer for the first time and getting completely lost in the possibilities. My budget is 1000 Euros (living in Germany atm) and this will be my general use computer (I am about to start a course in Game Design and do some graphic design work, but nothing too taxing), and ofcourse gaming. With regards to the latter I would like to be able to not have to worry about if my computer can run new releases on above par settings for as long as possible. I am coming from console and only ever play on lovely monitors/ TV so am not too sensitive when it comes to fps and resolution- 1080 60 is fine for me. I will be using an old 60Hz LED monitor for the time being (but would likely upgrade at a certain point).

Those things in mind- I have frankenstined together a parts list which I am almost certain is sub optimal- I would really appreciate it if anyone has some advice, or can point out any glaring faults. I am lacking a cooler (as I have absolutely no idea where to start, and the lists I butchered together didnt have one). Obviously if there are any cheaper options for the parts I would love to hear! I want to keep this between 900-1000EUR

Also worth pointing out that I absolutely could not care less how the thing looks in the end so if I have accidentally picked some flashy bits which have more ugly yet cheaper (or better performing) competitors then please let me know!

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/HRXnb8

Cheers,

Definitely get better DDR4-3200 RAM, ryzens like fast memory. Some of those are even cheaper than that 2666 stuff. edit: the memory QVL for the asrock board is kinda crap, but this ram is on it.

If you don't care about looks, go with a Asrock B450 Pro4 -- the only thing the Steel Legend has over it is bling. Same board, just with fancier heatsings, RGB leds, and a camo screenprint.

You don't strictly need a cooler, the CPU comes with one. But it's a good QOL addition that will make your PC much quieter. Right now the Arctic 33 is only €21 and is a fine 120mm heatsink.

For budget PSUs I like the Corsair CXM 550 a lot more than the EVGA BR. (The non-M corsair CX is even better, pcpartpicker doesn't show those available in DE but if you can find one yourself that's the best low-cost PSU.)

vvv edit: another thing on PSUs to look at besides warranty is rated operating temperature, which is only 30C on the evga BR. That gives a big hint about component quality. (The corsair CXs are 40C, and good gold PSUs are 50C.) 30C is stupid low, even in cases that have exterior air for the PSU.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Aug 12, 2020

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Yeah, you can get faster RAM (3200 CL16) for less money than what you picked, and that PSU only has a 3 year warranty which is usually a sign that it's trash; you can get affordable PSUs with 7 or even 10 year warranties.

e: The Meshify C is a really nice case for 72 euros.

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPzkcf/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 12, 2020

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Howdy Guys,

I am building a computer for the first time and getting completely lost in the possibilities. My budget is 1000 Euros (living in Germany atm) and this will be my general use computer (I am about to start a course in Game Design and do some graphic design work, but nothing too taxing), and ofcourse gaming. )

Howdy,
There are much more knowledgeable folks around here that can help with your parts, but if you have any questions around game dev, and graphic design, I'm happy to help answer any questions and provide mentorship.

You've probably played games I've worked on, and since leaving the industry a few years ago, I've been doing a lot of R&D in Unreal and Unity, and for AR and VR.

If you have any questions about the industry, AAA game dev, or graphic design stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Gearman posted:

Howdy,
There are much more knowledgeable folks around here that can help with your parts, but if you have any questions around game dev, and graphic design, I'm happy to help answer any questions and provide mentorship.

You've probably played games I've worked on, and since leaving the industry a few years ago, I've been doing a lot of R&D in Unreal and Unity, and for AR and VR.

If you have any questions about the industry, AAA game dev, or graphic design stuff, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Wow thanks, that is really cool of you. And thanks all for the helpful suggestions!

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE
One more thing:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/4nQfq3

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (€173.99 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 33 CPU Cooler (€21.42 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard (€90.69 @ Alternate)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Predator 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€62.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Kingston A400 960 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€81.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1 TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (€48.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card (€367.99 @ Mindfactory)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€67.13 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€79.69 @ Alternate)
Total: €993.71
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 17:50 CEST+0200

There is the warning at the bottom about BIOS update- is this actually an issue with the above list. I will be assembling this at my mother in laws house without access to another computer (apart from my wifes macbook)...?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

There is the warning at the bottom about BIOS update- is this actually an issue with the above list. I will be assembling this at my mother in laws house without access to another computer (apart from my wifes macbook)...?

See thread title. (no, the only B450 boards on store shelves that are so old they have pre-3000 bioses are going to be unusual low-volume things like an unpopular ITX board.)

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Klyith posted:

Excellent :effortless: post!

Honestly even though a lot of B550s do weird poo poo with PCIe lanes, and in much more random ways than the B450s which were mostly consistent, I don't regard it as that much of a problem. It's only an issue when you start putting way more expansion junk in a PC than most people will ever need.

It does make a good case for the "just get the MATX Mortar" suggestion though. Even if you're putting it into a full ATX case, there's nothing wrong with that. I've had full-ATX regret the recent times I've repurposed old gear into a secondary PC or hand-me-down: this would be easier and cheaper if I'd been using MATX mobos and could make a smaller desktop out of them. Now there's a really good MATX board it makes a lot of sense.
Arguably, "just get the mATX Mortar MAX" was already a pretty good rule of thumb for B450. It was just ridiculously hard to find in North America for some odd reason.

sean10mm posted:

Yeah I'm old enough to remember when onboard audio, if it existed at all, was trash. I think at one point they even claimed onboard audio hurt game performance it was so lovely! :corsair:

Nvidia Soundstorm on their Nforce2 chipsets sounded a whole lot better than all the regular AC97 chips, as I recall.

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Klyith posted:

See thread title. (no, the only B450 boards on store shelves that are so old they have pre-3000 bioses are going to be unusual low-volume things like an unpopular ITX board.)

Woof- cheers mate. Did clock the post title but this is very first rodeo, and I need to be sure 🤠

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

:stare:
I guess it's up to you if you want to spend $45 or $70 :shrug: Personally, I'd go for the 1030 SC just to open up your opportunities for more recent games, like maybe from 8 years ago instead of 13 years ago :v:

Perfect! I went with the GT 1030. Figure it's hard to go wrong with a pretty significant performance bump for just a little more. Looks like it might even beat my PS4 for some titles.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Hello I realized today that my CPU/MB/Power supply are over 6 years old and the latter is now out of warranty, so I am using the vague threat of my computer blowing up as an excuse to price out replacing these components. I already have a GTX1080 that is probably fine for another year or two and will just reuse storage, case, monitor, etc. Let me know if there are any suggestions to improve the list below. I'll be using it for work (spreadsheet stuff) and reasonably playing games on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($187.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $735.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 13:19 EDT-0400

I live near a Microcenter and most of the above are bundles/hot deals so the actual price is exactly $700 after tax.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

I'm looking for a 2TB SATA SSD since my partner has already managed to fill up a lot of my new build's M.2 drive :sigh:... any reason I shouldn't go with this Crucial MX500? Looks like it's not QLC, and $210 seems pretty reasonable...

e: I should mention, it's not urgent, so I could wait for prices to go down or other deals.

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Aug 12, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Stroop There It Is posted:

I'm looking for a 2TB SATA SSD since my partner has already managed to fill up a lot of my new build's M.2 drive :sigh:... any reason I shouldn't go with this Crucial MX500? Looks like it's not QLC, and $210 seems pretty reasonable...

e: I should mention, it's not urgent, so I could wait for prices to go down or other deals.

Good drive, and just over $200 is about as cheap as 2TB TLC drives get on any regular basis. Unless "not urgent" extends all the the way to like black friday or something, I'd just get that.

OTOH as a secondary drive a QLC SSD has a lot fewer downsides, especially if used for games & file storage type jobs. Right now the samsung QVO is on a $175 deal at bhphoto which is some moderately decent savings (and the first time I've seen that samsung at a price I'd consider recommending it).

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stroop There It Is posted:

I have the 1tb version and love it. It's a workhorse.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Hello I realized today that my CPU/MB/Power supply are over 6 years old and the latter is now out of warranty, so I am using the vague threat of my computer blowing up as an excuse to price out replacing these components. I already have a GTX1080 that is probably fine for another year or two and will just reuse storage, case, monitor, etc. Let me know if there are any suggestions to improve the list below. I'll be using it for work (spreadsheet stuff) and reasonably playing games on a 1440p 144hz monitor. Thanks.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($283.55 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($74.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($187.88 @ Amazon)
Total: $735.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-08-12 13:19 EDT-0400

I live near a Microcenter and most of the above are bundles/hot deals so the actual price is exactly $700 after tax.

Only thing I can see is that the B550-F has an extra 4 pin ATX power connector and the PSU you picked doesn't according to PC Part Picker. I think you only usually see extra ATX power connectors on like 750+ W power supplies, but it's not actually required to run the board either. It's more of an EXTREME OVERCLOCKING thing I think.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 12, 2020

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Only thing I can see is that the B550-F has an extra 4 pin ATX power connector and the PSU you picked doesn't according to PC Part Picker. I think you only usually see extra ATX power connectors on like 750+ W power supplies, but it's not actually required to run the board either. It's more of an EXTREME OVERCLOCKING thing I think.

Thanks. I'm not planning on hitting sick rear end clock speeds or anything, especially since I'm planning on just using the stock cooler, so I'll just not use it. 650W is probably overkill as it is.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

I'm getting really annoyed at the lack of information, benchmarks or any kind of performance metrics for the AMD 4000 series. I know I've spoken to a lot of you separately about the 3700x but I just can't shake the paranoia that the PS5 will somehow outclass whatever I build now and I'll be forced to make another upgrade in 2 years. Ideally I want at least 4-5 years of solid performance out of this new build.

Almost everything is finalized, all I'm missing is the CPU and the video card and I've already made up my mind to grab whatever 3080TI that comes out as soon as possible. Now I just need to figure out if the 3700x will become a bottleneck VERY soon or not. I have no way to read the market. When Skylake came out there's been no reason to upgrade your CPU until AMD made extra cores with Zen 2 and even then it seems like whatever flavor of *Lake CPU out right now is still able to offer superior or equivalent gaming performance depending on your SKU. The point for me has always been to leverage the extra cores at a later time when games start integrating multi-threaded performance. Current benchmarks show I think something like a 15 FPS gain on the 3700x vs the 7700k or less. Everything from the 3950 all the way down to the 3700 offer very little to zero performance gains in gaming right now so there's no reason to bother with them.

So now, I just need to figure out how much of a gain AMD will make on IPC, Infinity Fabric and core clcoks on the equivalent 4700 or 4900 CPUs.

I'm not as experienced with hardware so I need a reality check here.

In my imagination I see AMD Vermeer 4700-4900 type CPUs offering equivalent or superior single core performance at a higher core count, lower TDP and lower price point versus the 10600. If I'm wrong about this and it's just a small incremental upgrade that won't really matter 3-4 years from now then I can finally check out my shopping cart and at least finish building the rest of my system. I just don't want to feel stupid paying full price for a good CPU now waking up November 19th to discover there's a 4700 that runs superior to a 10600 in every imaginable way.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Just relax and take a 4 month nap

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Kraftwerk posted:

I'm getting really annoyed at the lack of information, benchmarks or any kind of performance metrics for the AMD 4000 series. I know I've spoken to a lot of you separately about the 3700x but I just can't shake the paranoia that the PS5 will somehow outclass whatever I build now and I'll be forced to make another upgrade in 2 years. Ideally I want at least 4-5 years of solid performance out of this new build.

Almost everything is finalized, all I'm missing is the CPU and the video card and I've already made up my mind to grab whatever 3080TI that comes out as soon as possible. Now I just need to figure out if the 3700x will become a bottleneck VERY soon or not. I have no way to read the market. When Skylake came out there's been no reason to upgrade your CPU until AMD made extra cores with Zen 2 and even then it seems like whatever flavor of *Lake CPU out right now is still able to offer superior or equivalent gaming performance depending on your SKU. The point for me has always been to leverage the extra cores at a later time when games start integrating multi-threaded performance. Current benchmarks show I think something like a 15 FPS gain on the 3700x vs the 7700k or less. Everything from the 3950 all the way down to the 3700 offer very little to zero performance gains in gaming right now so there's no reason to bother with them.

So now, I just need to figure out how much of a gain AMD will make on IPC, Infinity Fabric and core clcoks on the equivalent 4700 or 4900 CPUs.

I'm not as experienced with hardware so I need a reality check here.

In my imagination I see AMD Vermeer 4700-4900 type CPUs offering equivalent or superior single core performance at a higher core count, lower TDP and lower price point. If I'm wrong about this and it's just a small incremental upgrade that won't really matter 3-4 years from now then I can finally check out my shopping cart and at least finish building the rest of my system. I just don't want to feel stupid paying full price for a good CPU now waking up November 19th to discover there's a 4700 that runs superior to a 10600 in every imaginable way.

I'm pretty sure the CPU for the PS5/XboxWXYZ is just a 3700X without the 4.4GHz turbo, and 1 core locked to the OS. So if you get a 3700X you can't be overtaken by consoles on the CPU side.

From Wikipedia:

"The PlayStation 5 is powered by a semi-custom 7nm AMD Zen 2 CPU with eight cores running at a variable frequency capped at 3.5 GHz."

"The Xbox Series X is powered by a custom 7 nm AMD Zen 2 CPU with eight cores running at a nominal 3.8 GHz, or when simultaneous multithreading (SMT) is used, at 3.6 GHz. One CPU core is dedicated to the underlying operating system."

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Aug 12, 2020

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The PS5 literally has a underclocked 3700, if something would render it obsolete it won't be that.

If you're in 3080ti burn money mode mise go for the 10900k, it puts up the highest numbers if and when you're not GPU or monitor limited.

To say how long anything will last is an impossibility, it's all a function of what's available on the market. 4c/4t CPUs are underperforming since higher core counts are readily available - back at Skylake's launch no one could see that coming so the same old i5s got recommended as always.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

There is really more uncertainty on the graphics side, ~rumors~ put the GPU power of the consoles pretty goddamn high.

Comparing GPU teraflops (which is actually kind of dumb, but it's what we've got) you need an RTX 2080 Super to be on par with the new consoles.

PS5 - 10.3
RTX 2080 Super - 11.2
Xbox Series X - 12.2

RTX 3000 series is :speculate: to get quite a bit more performance per dollar and better ray tracing performance, which is why everyone wants to wait on it before building their mega-machine.

e: 10900K is the brute force king, but the dumb loving thing also draws like 300+ watts if you OC it, and produces a proportionally absurd amount of heat.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Aug 12, 2020

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011

sean10mm posted:

There is really more uncertainty on the graphics side, ~rumors~ put the GPU power of the consoles pretty goddamn high.

Comparing GPU teraflops (which is actually kind of dumb, but it's what we've got) you need an RTX 2080 Super to be on par with the new consoles.

PS5 - 10.3
RTX 2080 Super - 11.2
Xbox Series X - 12.2

RTX 3000 series is :speculate: to get quite a bit more performance per dollar and better ray tracing performance, which is why everyone wants to wait on it before building their mega-machine.

e: 10900K is the brute force king, but the dumb loving thing also draws like 300+ watts if you OC it, and produces a proportionally absurd amount of heat.

I have appreciated what Intel has had to offer for years. I had zero regrets about Kabylake, especially since I got it 25% off retail price.

I just really like the new node and process AMD is using and from a cost to performance ratio I prefer it. The heat/power draw of current gen Intel processors just seems inefficient to me. It's the principle of it all. I figured I let Intel sit this one out until DDR5 matures and mid way through the DDR5 lifecycle when their own 7nm++ process comes out I'll be back building an Intel system. Right this moment the 3700x to me is one of the best CPUs money can buy. It's incredible what you're getting for your money and that 75 TDP rating is :discourse:. I'd just be very annoyed if I find out later on that the PC tax on performance means I have to exceed what the consoles can do. Then again the PS4 has 2 quad core chips so other than any latency issues maybe I'm overestimating CPU performance on consoles.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If all the current hype and promises about the horsepower of the new consoles is true the things are gonna cost like $700.

If they cost $700 then you don't have to worry about your PC being overtaken, because that means they are gonna be 100% relying on compatibility with previous-gen to cover slow uptake of an expensive purchase. Games will still be targeting old consoles for at least a year afterward, and by 2024 when next gen hits it's stride you'll be ready to upgrade.

If they don't cost $700 then the hype and promises are just what every other console has done before release, exaggerated paper specs.

the paradigm shift
Jan 18, 2006

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Thanks. I'm not planning on hitting sick rear end clock speeds or anything, especially since I'm planning on just using the stock cooler, so I'll just not use it. 650W is probably overkill as it is.

I got the Corsair rm series rm650 for about $80 less from amazon a couple of weeks ago. 80+ gold, 10yr etc and it has the extra 4pin connector for the cpu.

Samadhi
May 13, 2001

sean10mm posted:

PS5 - 10.3
RTX 2080 Super - 11.2
Xbox Series X - 12.2

I am wondering how long it will take before I can get a 2070 Super price-level card after the new ones are announced. I am working on a new build, but obviously won't pull the trigger until I can get one of the next-gen NVidia cards.

The price point I'm looking for is $500-$600, but I'm suspecting I won't be able to get a new card until late October.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Kraftwerk posted:

Former AAA dev here, you won't even see games really taking advantage of the new console hardware for a couple years anyway. Any game coming out for next gen consoles within the next 18-24 months has been developed with much lower specs for the majority of its development. It's usually by year three or four of new hardware that developers have really started figuring out how to budget for and leverage the new hardware.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

If you mean mechanically, the NH-D15 (or -D15S I presume) is straightforward. My 12 year old did most of it this last time and she’d never done it before.

It's straightforward, but god drat, I hated the tightening the spring-loaded mounting screws. That took me longer than any other part of the build.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC

Kraftwerk posted:

I have appreciated what Intel has had to offer for years. I had zero regrets about Kabylake, especially since I got it 25% off retail price.

I just really like the new node and process AMD is using and from a cost to performance ratio I prefer it. The heat/power draw of current gen Intel processors just seems inefficient to me. It's the principle of it all. I figured I let Intel sit this one out until DDR5 matures and mid way through the DDR5 lifecycle when their own 7nm++ process comes out I'll be back building an Intel system. Right this moment the 3700x to me is one of the best CPUs money can buy. It's incredible what you're getting for your money and that 75 TDP rating is :discourse:. I'd just be very annoyed if I find out later on that the PC tax on performance means I have to exceed what the consoles can do. Then again the PS4 has 2 quad core chips so other than any latency issues maybe I'm overestimating CPU performance on consoles.

Dude, you are way overthinking everything. You are falling into the forever future trap.

The rules of upgrading your PC have, and still are simple. Upgrade whenever your rig whenever it is not meeting your demands on it and upgrade to the sweet spot unless you have extra money to burn for no reason. Ignore what is "on the horizon" unless release is imminent or if a significant feature is due to come online. This past couple of months is one of the few times that it is 'proper' to just sit on your hands and wait to see what Ampere will bring. And you are doing just that, waiting for the 3080Ti and then going pedal to the metal. AMD 4000 is not going to be much different for a gaming use case and you can be sure AMD is going to milk you dry since Intel can't get its poo poo together. The worst-case scenario for you is if the 3700X starts to fall behind in 3 years' time, you have an AM4 socket that can readily accept Zen 3 chips anyways should you be forced to go down that path so you don't need to chuck out the system.

If by the time the 3080Ti comes out and you have no gaming use case which requires an upgrade. Keep your powder dry. Who knows when Zen3 is going to launch anyway. It could be Dec.22 for all we know and it is a paper launch with for a 4900X that will set you back 500 USD or something stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:

Klyith posted:

Good drive, and just over $200 is about as cheap as 2TB TLC drives get on any regular basis. Unless "not urgent" extends all the the way to like black friday or something, I'd just get that.

OTOH as a secondary drive a QLC SSD has a lot fewer downsides, especially if used for games & file storage type jobs. Right now the samsung QVO is on a $175 deal at bhphoto which is some moderately decent savings (and the first time I've seen that samsung at a price I'd consider recommending it).

Mu Zeta posted:

I have the 1tb version and love it. It's a workhorse.
Thanks to both of you! I'll have to do some more thinking about excluding QVL, that's a very good point about the use case.