Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Coffee?
This poll is closed.
Yay! 54 34.39%
Nay. 43 27.39%
O-kay? 24 15.29%
Whatever. 36 22.93%
Total: 157 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Fangz posted:

thanks for that bit of unsolicited advice
thanks for this bit of being an rear end in a top hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Oh, I thought I was just joining in the fun of policing what people on the internet do and say. Never mind, then. I'll cancel the callout post I was going to make to all my followers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Fangz posted:

Oh, I thought I was just joining in the fun of policing what people on the internet do and say. Never mind, then. I'll cancel the callout post I was going to make to all my followers.

Bruh this is a forum post.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you're going three levels of complaining about people on the internet deep, but check this out I can go four

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The hell you doing?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Fangz posted:

This performative poo poo is weird and bad. You should probably actually read what the conversation was about instead of making assumptions and getting mad based on those assumptions.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Julias posted:

This performative poo poo is weird and bad. You should probably actually read what the conversation was about instead of making assumptions and getting mad based on those assumptions.

Yeah that was me talking about a specific part of one post and sharing thoughts and feelings about it, as you do on a forum.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Fangz posted:

i think people on the internet are stupid, and they should shut the gently caress up :twisted:

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
Wow, Haikyuu’s last big arc is really good.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1293536597883797505

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

nrook posted:

Wow, Haikyuu’s last big arc is really good.

really hoping it gets animated

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

Unsolicited critique and redraws that aren't fanart aren't beloved tools of the art community and are in fact one of the fastest ways to piss off somebody who's just drawing stuff, I say, divorced of the tedious source of this discussion.

I think there's a critical aspect to this I don't agree with, if you make an artistic product, whether you make money on it or not and put it out there in a public facing space; it's now out there for people to provide commentary on where you would like it or not. Because all art is social commentary and is informed by the pre-existing social context, which in turn can be criticized; whether on its technical merits or its place in the social context. Sure the more private and insular the space the less reasonable it is to provide such a critique, but in general I don't think movie directors or book authors necessarily like or appreciate critics. If I recall correctly, His Dark Materials was a rewrite of the Lion, the Witch and a Wardrobe as a direct response to the themes in those novels. Rewrites and redraws happen and I think the idea that gatekeeping what constitutes valid criticism doesn't come from a reasonable place.

Please let this be a thing.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 12, 2020

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Anime tiddies

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raenir Salazar posted:

I think there's a critical aspect to this I don't agree with, if you make an artistic product, whether you make money on it or not and put it out there in a public facing space; it's now out there for people to provide commentary on where you would like it or not. Because all art is social commentary and is informed by the pre-existing social context, which in turn can be criticized; whether on its technical merits or its place in the social context. Sure the more private and insular the space the less reasonable it is to provide such a critique, but in general I don't think movie directors or book authors necessarily like or appreciate critics. If I recall correctly, His Dark Materials was a rewrite of the Lion, the Witch and a Wardrobe as a direct response to the themes in those novels. Rewrites and redraws happen and I think the idea that gatekeeping what constitutes valid criticism doesn't come from a reasonable place.
Honestly I don't think anyone is coming from a :byodood: "How dare you criticize my opus?!" place, lest of all the actual author (is the author even aware from this noise at all?). I think most of the reaction is akin to "You're kinda being insufferable about it". Also, I'm fairly certain that the actual Uzaki-chan wants to hang out anime thread might use some of the traffic too, if you want to continue this conversation. Jus' saying.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Stairmaster posted:

Anime tiddies

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
"valid criticism" and "everyone who likes this design (of an adult woman) is a pedophile" are two entirely different things and only one of them is what I've been seeing in the discourse (hint it's not the first one).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Fangz posted:

look at this random 19 year old on twitter, being in flammatory
yeah, being argumentative on twitter is likely to lead to an argument, on twitter

edit: also literally nobody is saying criticism of uzaki isn't allowed, you dingus

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't watch uzaki but it's not cause uzaki has big booby. is my critical feelings on uzaki

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

i don't watch uzaki but it's not cause uzaki has big booby. is my critical feelings on uzaki
im not too proud to admit id watch uzaki if the guy was a tall butch girl.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph posted:

im not too proud to admit id watch uzaki if the guy was a tall butch girl.

same

it's like how my favorite works from the takagi-san author are all of the random short yuri pieces they've done

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't have any issue with someone drawing fanart of Uzaki as a medium height white girl but they shouldn't claim to be 'fixing' a character design when they clearly do not understand it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Wark Say posted:

Honestly I don't think anyone is coming from a :byodood: "How dare you criticize my opus?!" place, lest of all the actual author (is the author even aware from this noise at all?). I think most of the reaction is akin to "You're kinda being insufferable about it". Also, I'm fairly certain that the actual Uzaki-chan wants to hang out anime thread might use some of the traffic too, if you want to continue this conversation. Jus' saying.

I felt that the controversy wasn't ever really about Uzaki-chan, so I was hesitant to start the conversation there, especially when my own concerns was more about the response to the controversy by artists making arguments very similar to, "how dare people criticize someone's opus". To give the direction I'm coming from in regards to it fwiw, but I can drop it if its sucking life from the thread.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I don't have any issue with someone drawing fanart of Uzaki as a medium height white girl but they shouldn't claim to be 'fixing' a character design when they clearly do not understand it

To be fair I don't think anyone redrew her anymore white than she already looks since anime character designs tend to be usually stateless.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
people should devote this energy to watching older shows

i've just been doing that for the past couple months and i've found lots of shows i never expected to be some of my favorite shows ever, or pretty interesting at the least. strawberry panic, marimite, nanoha, princess tutu, mai-hime, sketchbook, megami tengoku. kashimashi was kinda boring but it's still sorta interesting for how it writes the mc's response to gender stuff

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Aug 12, 2020

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Someone photoshop the three of them as the Swedes from Umbrella Academy S2.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Everything Burrito posted:

really hoping it gets animated

i really wish it had been given more time to breathe

the whiplash is strong with the final stretch

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The Colonel posted:

i've just been doing that for the past couple months and i've found lots of shows i never expected to be some of my favorite shows ever, or pretty interesting at the least

Sadly I've been kinda just in a funk because of my lack of productivity for the last several months, so I've only really stuck to one or two shows a season. But I'm waiting for and super excited for Spider So What.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

i've just been doing that for the past couple months and i've found lots of shows i never expected to be some of my favorite shows ever, or pretty interesting at the least

I've been watching GitS for the first time and it's a pretty cool ride seeing all this ancient CGI which was probably kickin' rad when it was made but now looks like a ps1 cutscene.

Also I'll probably watch Uzaki-chan when it's finished because I'm a sucker for goofy romcom nonsense and

Stairmaster posted:

Anime tiddies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

I felt that the controversy wasn't ever really about Uzaki-chan, so I was hesitant to start the conversation there, especially when my own concerns was more about the response to the controversy by artists making arguments very similar to, "how dare people criticize someone's opus". To give the direction I'm coming from in regards to it fwiw, but I can drop it if its sucking life from the thread.

To be fair I don't think anyone redrew her anymore white than she already looks since anime character designs tend to be usually stateless.

its less that its suckig life from the thread and more that nobody can tell what the hell your point is because getting specifics from you is like pulling teeth. nobody actually disagrees with the idea that criticism is allowed and you're bitching about people who don't post here in such a vague way that nobody can tell what you mean besides that. it's like talking to an ai chatbot. nobody has anything to be gained from this conversation.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
between the two 2000s shaft anime i've watched/been watching i think natsu no arashi has interesting moments and ideas but pani poni dash holds up a lot better, natsu's too scattershot and doesn't always make its serious drama as interesting as it could be while pani poni dash is one of the best gag comedy anime i've ever watched. really endearing cast and the animation and visual gags are so fun to watch that even when they don't make me laugh i just enjoy looking at it

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

its less that its suckig life from the thread and more that nobody can tell what the hell your point is because getting specifics from you is like pulling teeth. nobody actually disagrees with the idea that criticism is allowed and you're bitching about people who don't post here in such a vague way that nobody can tell what you mean besides that. it's like talking to an ai chatbot. nobody has anything to be gained from this conversation.

Is there a way you could not be ceaselessly and needlessly hostile? I don't think you've tried to actually engage in good faith the entire time.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is there a way you could not be ceaselessly and needlessly hostile? I don't think you've tried to actually engage in good faith the entire time.
I'm not being hostile, I'm telling you I literally do not understand what you're trying to say or what point you're driving at. That isn't an insult that is literally what I am experiencing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Raenir Salazar posted:

you've spent 3x as many words to communicate less of a point than endorph has

like i keep trying to read your posts and i'm getting the exact same information repeated ad nauseum i have no idea what you are trying to argue

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Aug 12, 2020

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like, literally nobody has disagreed with the idea that you're allowed to criticize art by putting your own spin on it and you just keep repeating that same point in different ways even though nobody is disagreeing with you. And you linked the Uzaki thing and people pointed out why that led to a big argument besides just it being criticism, and then you said the conversation wasn't about Uzaki, so we're just back to a point that nobody here disagrees with.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
wondering if i'll watch another shaft after i finish pani poni. maybe tsukiyomi or koufuku graffiti

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The Colonel posted:

wondering if i'll watch another shaft after i finish pani poni. maybe tsukiyomi or koufuku graffiti

i like mahoromatic

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

Gourmet Girl Graffiti is a show I needed to watch while eating something already because the food animation was causing me to devolve into "AGH gently caress, I'M SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW!".

So yeah, watch it if you like feeling hungry or while eating something.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Endorph posted:

I'm not being hostile, I'm telling you I literally do not understand what you're trying to say or what point you're driving at. That isn't an insult that is literally what I am experiencing.

The chain of posts by you from when I first posted until now has been mostly did not suggest to me that you merely didn't understand what I was trying to say and were asking to better understand my point, so if that wasn't your intent I apologize, and I'll restart my original point which I hope should be clear:

quote:

I'm suddenly seeing a lot of hot takes on my twitter feed by artists who I think should really know better suggesting that it's improper for other artists to redraw their art (added: in order to critique it).

Like that's it, artists on my feed, making that exact argument that I've seen across my feed, and I disagree with that position.

e: In the case of Uzaki-chan that critique might be wrong / missing the point of the character / might be under bad faith or bad intentioned but the response if given at all, should be focused on what makes that critique bad, and not as a part of a culture war.

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

The Colonel posted:

Koufuku Graffiti is a great time. Very comfy. Makes you wanna cook stuff they do in the show.