Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

OK cool, I was starting to wonder if I missed the boat on rock bottom rates.

Broker tried to convince me last week that 2.875% was the only game in town and I'd be stupid to wait.

I mean, he's not wrong about the latter part, but I'm already at 3.625% so it's really hard to justify a refi right now. If this pushes rates down I might actually pull the trigger.

edit:

Residency Evil posted:

Unfortunately, it seems like those <2% rates are only through brokers. :sigh:

https://www.findamortgagebroker.com is supposedly a site launched by UWM:

https://nationalmortgageprofessional.com/news/66986/launches-nationwide-listing-independent-mortgage-brokers

I would expect that brokers listed there have access to UWM products?

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Residency Evil posted:

Way ahead of you/already there: what sports car do I buy next?

Aren't you required to purchase a Porsche 911? It's in the Dr. code I thought.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

skipdogg posted:

He’s a doctor, not a dentist.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

Residency Evil posted:

Way ahead of you/already there: what sports car do I buy next?

I think it's time you try out a proper M3 or M5, you've been batting about with all the competitors anyway.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I think medical doctors are required to go Mercedes

Dentists and surgeons are Porsche

Lawyers are Audi

Real estate and finance are BMW

And of course Tesla makes guest appearances in all 5 categories (excluding finance) as well

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Our real estate agent drove a Lexus :confused:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Oh no! She hasn't closed any deals this year?!

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Shoe leather realtors love toyota reliability when they put up 50K miles per year on them.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

skipdogg posted:

It’s on the list (an older air cooled one).

Inner Light posted:

I think it's time you try out a proper M3 or M5, you've been batting about with all the competitors anyway.

Not until I’m forced to because of kids.

Which may be soon. :ohdear:

Which means I need to buy another 2 seater ASAP.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

PCjr sidecar posted:

Shoe leather realtors love toyota reliability when they put up 50K miles per year on them.

real talk: I think he had over 200k miles on the one he was driving at the time, and during inspection we were BSing with the inspector (recommended by the agent) and he says the agent's previous lexus had 400k miles on it before the agent gave it to his own daughter.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Residency Evil posted:

Unfortunately, it seems like those <2% rates are only through brokers. :sigh:

I don't know your market specifically, but what I can tell you is we went with a broker recommended by my boss's (wife's) boss and I regretted it (and not trusting my "this guy is poo poo" feeling).

A coworker's mom got him a better rate than us by just calling two banks back and forth; that's even after I sent back the first rate our broker gave us as totally unacceptable.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I realized I'm replacing my door trim tomorrow and don't have a working doorbell at my place. Should I go buy some bell wire and run in through my new trim? Is wired the way to go? Or wireless? I'm not interested in a Ring or other IoT doorbell.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

I realized I'm replacing my door trim tomorrow and don't have a working doorbell at my place. Should I go buy some bell wire and run in through my new trim? Is wired the way to go? Or wireless? I'm not interested in a Ring or other IoT doorbell.

There's a bunch of wireless options that aren't smart these days. It's probably not worth the effort to wire it.

We bought this one. I can't tell you if it's any good, because we haven't installed it pending new siding...

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

DaveSauce posted:

Our real estate agent drove a Lexus :confused:
My real estate agent has a lexus with a vanity plate "REFRALS"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Dik Hz posted:

My real estate agent has a lexus with a vanity plate "REFRALS"

This is probably bad.. that means every service they recommend is due to kickbacks.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

tater_salad posted:

This is probably bad.. that means every service they recommend is due to kickbacks.
Well, he doesn't advertise and only works with people who previous clients have referred. I think that's what he was getting at.

I gave him poo poo about it, and he said it was really a reference to a bar in Key West "Reefer Al's"

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

SpartanIvy posted:

Home Ownership Thread: Dungeons with Drywall

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

My mortgage broker was amazingly skilled

At pinning the blame on other people.

The pest control guy came by and he wants $800 to "rat proof" the home including replacing vent exhausts and filling in gaps of our home.

I have a feeling I'd get a better deal if I hired a handyman to do it.

I'd do it myself but they're up high on a 2 story house and I don't trust myself to go up that high.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I've used better.com twice, initial mortgage and refi a few weeks ago 2.625%.
I had a great experience and they price match so even if I could get a lower rate is go through them because it's less hassle.

Credible.com is also supposed to be good, Costco also does the get bids from 12+ companies and pick the best structured one and rate for you.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Quaint Quail Quilt posted:

I've used better.com twice, initial mortgage and refi a few weeks ago 2.625%.
I had a great experience and they price match so even if I could get a lower rate is go through them because it's less hassle.

Credible.com is also supposed to be good, Costco also does the get bids from 12+ companies and pick the best structured one and rate for you.

I did SoFi for a free refi to 30-yr fixed 3.125%, down from 4.125%. Going to be hard to justify another go unless costs are pretty low - anything more than a few years to break even seems not worth it to me.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

Anyone have some tips on removing concrete anchor bolts in a ceiling?
I believe they're the hammer drive type.

My current plan is to drill into it with a bit for metal deep enough to loosen the base where the anchor spreads out, then put a screw into the hole and leverage it out.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fallom posted:

How the gently caress do you front and then negotiate the sale of a $200,000+ loan by being your own project manager

You're going to multiple lenders or brokers and herding them like cats. Then you pick one and get in contact with them EVERY DAY with your expectations of what they owe you and when it should be completed.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Motronic posted:

You're going to multiple lenders or brokers and herding them like cats. Then you pick one and get in contact with them EVERY DAY with your expectations of what they owe you and when it should be completed.
When I was looking, most lenders I've come into contact with were completely overwhelmed with refinancing deals. One basically told me to basically gently caress off because he had other priorities and customers to attend to. Maybe things have changed, but that certainly made me do a double take.

He recently sent me a follow up email asking if I was still looking to buy a home, and I copy pasted that email right back to him. I have taken your advice about using a toggle bolt for shelving units, but I don't have a powered drill. I'll have to wait until I can borrow one since I want to try and buy most of my things during black friday. I saw that some drywall anchors claim to be rated for 75 lbs and such- is that basically marketing? I was going to use the screw in drywall anchor type to hang my mirror which is really light.

Also, what's your take on monkey hooks? I picked up a pack to use for the apartment, but now that it's my wall on the line, I want to look more into it.

ChineseBuffet
Mar 7, 2003
I wouldn't trust any type of anchor for its rated weight. Maybe half or a third. Not sure what the back of your mirror looks like, buy if you could hang it from hooks then I'll recommend the Ook picture hangers you can get at HD, which have ratings up to at least 100 pounds and we've used for some large artwork.

This won't help you in particular because of the application, but these are the best anchors I've ever used for things where you are screwing through the object to be hung (as opposed to hanging it from the screw). Tightening the screw pulls the black part back and the white part spreads out into a disk on the inner side of the drywall.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Bioshuffle posted:

I saw that some drywall anchors claim to be rated for 75 lbs and such- is that basically marketing?

It's certainly POSSIBLE that they can hold 75 lbs. But you'd need to read the fine print, which is gonna go something like going into 5/8" drywall, which you likely don't have inside, with absolutely perfect positioning and condition of said drywall, and with the load exactly perpendicular to the anchor at 0.0 inches from the wall.

It may also be referring to that rating for a PAIR of anchors.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
Anchor a nice looking piece of wood into the studs, paint/finish so it matches your decor. Anchor whatever you're hanging into that piece of wood.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

I have taken your advice about using a toggle bolt for shelving units, but I don't have a powered drill. I'll have to wait until I can borrow one since I want to try and buy most of my things during black friday.

Owning a cordless drill is absolutely essential to home ownership and waiting 3 months to save several dollars is going to make your life needlessly more difficult. Just buy one now, better yet, get a combo kit with an impact driver.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bioshuffle posted:

When I was looking, most lenders I've come into contact with were completely overwhelmed with refinancing deals. One basically told me to basically gently caress off because he had other priorities and customers to attend to. Maybe things have changed, but that certainly made me do a double take.

He recently sent me a follow up email asking if I was still looking to buy a home, and I copy pasted that email right back to him. I have taken your advice about using a toggle bolt for shelving units, but I don't have a powered drill. I'll have to wait until I can borrow one since I want to try and buy most of my things during black friday. I saw that some drywall anchors claim to be rated for 75 lbs and such- is that basically marketing? I was going to use the screw in drywall anchor type to hang my mirror which is really light.

Also, what's your take on monkey hooks? I picked up a pack to use for the apartment, but now that it's my wall on the line, I want to look more into it.

Those hooks are telling you the max theoretical load for standard drywall and the hook itself, vertically. Nothing that might have any torque or horizontal forces on it should ever be hung with drywall anchors, whether they claim adequate weight or not. Example: Shelves with objects on them, bookcases or furniture with drawers, anything a toddler may decide to climb on (big important one there), etc. If the goal isn't just to have it hang flat against a wall, don't use a drywall anchor if you can avoid it.

Your mirror will almost certainly be fine with screw-in anchors. Same with pictures, paintings, etc. If it's anything you'd be upset about having fall, find a stud or use the crossboard approach two posts up. Also, the crossboard approach is a life-saver for garages.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

Sirotan posted:

Owning a cordless drill is absolutely essential to home ownership and waiting 3 months to save several dollars is going to make your life needlessly more difficult. Just buy one now, better yet, get a combo kit with an impact driver.

Growing up, my dad's always sworn by Dewalt, but I'm tempted by Ryobi line of tools. Not sure what the brushless hubbub is about, but I'm guessing it won't apply to me if I don't even know?

I'm also eyeing the ryobi cordless vacuum.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Ryobi is the best brand for consumers and small DIY jobs. They're relatively inexpensive, and have a huge tool selection. With that said, if you see yourself tackling a lot of big projects you might consider the DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita lines.

Brushless motor tools have more power and better battery efficiency which may or may not matter to you. I personally always get the most powerful tools I reasonably can because being in a situation where a tool can't do what you need it to sucks.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Bioshuffle posted:

Growing up, my dad's always sworn by Dewalt, but I'm tempted by Ryobi line of tools. Not sure what the brushless hubbub is about, but I'm guessing it won't apply to me if I don't even know?

the stick vac has some issues with clogging etc.. I almost bought one but the reviews kind of turned me off of it. The shop vac lasts about 6 seconds on battery.

Ryobi is decent for your average, homeowner Dewalt is also good but they are more expensive but you'll get "pro" level tools. For the weekend warrior Ryobi is great, and works well enough for most stuff you will do at your house.

Brushless will get you better battery usage and better torque. I went brush-less for my recip saw but I can't say I can compare it vs the regular brushed motor to see what the differences are.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Jenkl posted:

Anyone have some tips on removing concrete anchor bolts in a ceiling?
I believe they're the hammer drive type.

My current plan is to drill into it with a bit for metal deep enough to loosen the base where the anchor spreads out, then put a screw into the hole and leverage it out.

Do you have to remove them completely? Or would cutting them off and grinding them flush be acceptable? Most people just do that to a protruding anchor bolt. Walk around any concrete floor industrial building older than 10 years and you can probably find multiple examples.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Not sure if this is the thread for this but it's the closest I could find. Wife and I are embarking on our first major renovation project (kitchen and we also want to do a bathroom if in budget) after refinancing and getting some cash out. We got three quotes from established contractors, and one came in significantly lower than the others. I've heard the wisdom that you get three quotes and throw out the lowest, but I've seen nothing but good things about that company online and they're the only one that gave bids that will allow us to do both projects without waiting on one of them and saving up for a few years. I'm a bit hesitant though, I can't shake the feeling that somehow they will not be any good since they are about 10K lower than the others for the kitchen. Is this bit of conventional wisdom bad or good? I'm really not sure what to look for in a contractor other than a feeling of confidence in them.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Watching my lawn slowly shrivel in three digit temperatures is making me want to be That Guy who ignores the local drought restrictions of only running sprinklers once a week, but so far I am settling for being the guy who judges That Guy who is watering 4 nights/week and is best buds with the HOA president and will never get in dinged for it

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

ask for some examples of finished work..
ask about budget overruns etc.. like will he come in at 10k and they say whoooops it's now 20
ask for contact info for some of the folks that he's worked with and see if they'll talk to you.

I took the lowest bid on my blow in insulation job. Guy wanted 870 to do insulation and vent a fan to the outside. everyone else was 2-4x his price many who woudl not even go into the space because it was small and they wanted to cut a hole in my roof or ceiling for better access. This guy was good, responsive quick and as far as I can tell did a good job (he laid 16" instead of 12") my room feels better already.

His price was probably $300 more than it would have cost me to go buy the insulation from home depot. A friend recommended him after he did work on his house, so dont' always dicount the lowest guy, if they ahve good reviews adn aren't shady about providing examples of completed work and have been in business for awhile might want to give em a shot.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Yeah I mean they're a very well established company with tons of examples of finished work online, and they do a lot of jobs in the area.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah local referrals beat all. Finished work online could hide details, not tell the story of the pain points to get the project done, costs, timeline, etc. For all you know the finished work could be stuff they did for friends or themselves.

Twice now I've used people that i saw referenced by multiple people on both my local facebook group and nextdoor group and have been really happy with the results.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

LloydDobler posted:

Do you have to remove them completely? Or would cutting them off and grinding them flush be acceptable? Most people just do that to a protruding anchor bolt. Walk around any concrete floor industrial building older than 10 years and you can probably find multiple examples.

Not necessarily. They're in a concrete ceiling that I'll be installing insulation over, so flush should be OK.
I have a recip. saw but I don't think I'll be able to get as close to it as I'd need... I'll look at it more closely. I can pick up an angle grinder though. They seem like something I can get an OK one for cheap, if I'm only using it here and there. Namely there.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bioshuffle posted:

I got this recently to replace a 15+ year old DeWalt cordless drill and it is insanely great, the difference in torque over my old lead NiCd battery model is ridiculous. A++ would recommend:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DQ19B1S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_2ienFbTVCP18T

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Jenkl posted:

Not necessarily. They're in a concrete ceiling that I'll be installing insulation over, so flush should be OK.
I have a recip. saw but I don't think I'll be able to get as close to it as I'd need... I'll look at it more closely. I can pick up an angle grinder though. They seem like something I can get an OK one for cheap, if I'm only using it here and there. Namely there.

You can get a super long blade for the sawzall (I have an awesome 12" long one that works for a huge variety of things) and bend it to lay flat on the concrete to get a mostly flush cut, then grind to finish if you even need to at that point.