Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The serial number I have on my device history and the serial number they matched when I entered my info did not match. However, I had my 6S replaced for a hardware fault in August of 2017, so maybe that's the serial number they have on record for me. But the serial number for the most recent 6S I owned meets their criteria for the claim (running 11.2 before December 21 2017) is not valid in their search tool. So maybe their database of valid serial numbers is not perfect, or they do some weird duplicate removal like only the first serial number you owned is valid or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

Pivo posted:

The launch iPhone X had an extended warranty program for display related issues - if you’ve experienced the digitizer seeing a tap where there wasn’t one, or touch inputs that felt inaccurate, it’s possible Apple will swap the device for you. It’s why my iPhone X which I originally got at launch has a fresh-ish battery. Now I’m not suggesting you lie, but in my case I just saw my display tap-to-waking without any tapping. There’s no real way to prove that intermittent issue doesn’t happen.

Holy poo poo I had no idea there was a program I've been having this issue for years, especially when the phone gets hot
https://support.apple.com/iphone-x-display-module-replacement-program

Now to find out if I am actually eligible. I bought the phone in the US but I live in Europe so might be outta luck there.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have my left airpod (1st Gen) being super duper fuzzy. I had cleaned it Sunday and it got extremely low volume. I got that fixed but now that airpod is just fuzzy.

Any ideas on what can be done?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I have my left airpod (1st Gen) being super duper fuzzy. I had cleaned it Sunday and it got extremely low volume. I got that fixed but now that airpod is just fuzzy.

Any ideas on what can be done?

How did you clean it?

Phoenix by Daft Punk at a loud volume is a common first measure.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I use this when I’m looking for misplaced AirPod, it works pretty well. Probably won’t do a good job of cleaning though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIKarAqOB9I

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

I first used the alcohol wipe on a q tip which normally does a good job. Then it was still quiet.

So I read through a bunch of things and this method stuck out. It is where you suck on the opening in order pull out stuff and then use a brush to clean it off. I tried it and it worked with the sound going back to normal. A day later, it had a fuzzy sound through it.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Turns out those are both unfathomably lovely methods of cleaning headphones.

Try compressed air from a safe distance, then try playing a lossless version of Phoenix at a high volume.

If they don't work, buy new ones.

The proper easy way is compressed air from a distance of an inch or so. The difficult way is disassembly of the driver casing enough to see the driver element's surface, and using a non-metallic set of tweezers.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Suction wasn’t a good idea, but if it wasn’t too much and you didn’t soak it in alcohol, it’s probably just a failing AirPod no matter what you did.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

What all do you need to cover to get it to play music without it being in your ear?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

What all do you need to cover to get it to play music without it being in your ear?

Nothing, I can select it as a speaker option. I usually do it through overcast since I listen to so many podcasts. Once it’s selected there any audio will go through the AirPod.

I hit that bullseye button at the bottom to choose it. I know there’s other ways, maybe in the Bluetooth list.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowy posted:

I use this when I’m looking for misplaced AirPod, it works pretty well. Probably won’t do a good job of cleaning though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIKarAqOB9I

LOL, my cats just flipped the gently caress out and one of them is eyeing my speakers with high interest right now.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Snowy posted:

I hit that bullseye button at the bottom to choose it. I know there’s other ways, maybe in the Bluetooth list.

Thanks. I did this and ran through the Daft Punk song and the alarm (drat, that brought my daughters out of their bedrooms).

It sounds a little bit better so I will check back with them tomorrow. Maybe doing a clean out each night may help it out.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Don't clean airpods with either solvents or suction. Goes for all audio elements.

Canned non-flammable air is the easy go-to for a very good reason. A clean toothbrush before that is often worth it.

The real problem is that earwax fills the grille (toothbrush) or gets stuck between the grille and the driver element (canned non-flammable air - but this can push wax on the grille beneath it and then getting it out is easier said than done). Disassembling the airpods enough to get to the element is possible but very difficult and by the time it's necessary you probably also have a failing battery.

Suction can just pull the elements loose from their seats and since they're glued in "good luck" getting them back together. Solvents can soften the glue and cause misalignment... or just eat through the elements or corrode them using properly wrong solvents... and repairing either of these requires some real extreme repair skills.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

I also use mascara brushes to clean out the case as needed. You can get a bag of 100 for a few bucks.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Proteus Jones posted:

I also use mascara brushes to clean out the case as needed. You can get a bag of 100 for a few bucks.

I honestly just bought a pack of cheap toothbrushes for electronics cleaning. Though the cost of 100 brushes versus a dozen or so toothbrushes is probably much more economical.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Lifehacker says suck out the poison

https://lifehacker.com/the-gross-but-effective-way-to-clean-your-airpods-1820945258

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I feel like it’s a common enough problem that Apple stores ought to be kitted out with special little AirPods vacuum and sanitisation machines.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
my problem is how to keep headphones fresh without disintegrating the pleather/whatever the actual material is.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rinkles posted:

my problem is how to keep headphones fresh without disintegrating the pleather/whatever the actual material is.

When the pads on Bose noise cancelling headphones fell apart, I learned (probably form this thread) that replacement ear cups are sold on amazon for lots of popular headphones.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When the pads on Bose noise cancelling headphones fell apart, I learned (probably form this thread) that replacement ear cups are sold on amazon for lots of popular headphones.

Neat, thanks.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
What the hell am I supposed to do about storage leaking on my phone? My phone storage (64 GB) is almost full and about 25 GB of that is “other”. I’ve never installed a beta or anything on this phone before so what gives? I know that I can restore from a backup to try and mitigate this but what’s stopping it from happening again?

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Just restore it. They are dragging their feet on the RTAs for this so who knows when it will be fixed

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

illcendiary posted:

What the hell am I supposed to do about storage leaking on my phone? My phone storage (64 GB) is almost full and about 25 GB of that is “other”. I’ve never installed a beta or anything on this phone before so what gives? I know that I can restore from a backup to try and mitigate this but what’s stopping it from happening again?

I had to bite the bullet and nuke my phone because of this. I had been putting it off for so long. Still though, it felt good to get rid of 20+GB of mystery data.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Does the ‘Other’ storage category shrink when needed?

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

silence_kit posted:

Does the ‘Other’ storage category shrink when needed?

That’s what the settings page for storage alleges, as does Apple online documentation. But in my experience it just grows and grows.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

It will grow and make the phone unstable. Calls won't go through, apps won't open etc

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I've seen it happen on multiple phones. Imo, kind of a black mark on Apple's otherwise pretty good OS experience.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
What’re the chances of the 2020 iPhone SE seeing a price drop when Tim releases the new iPhones in October? Maybe it’s best to wait till the refurbs hit Amazon to get a good deal?

Also - is there any thread consensus on whether the AirPods Pro are good value vs. the ordinary AirPods 2? I’ve never used noise cancelling before but I hear it’s pretty dope.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Seems like if you are out of space and there is still a ton of "other" not being automatically cleared out then it is broken. Otherwise it is probably working as intended, even if it won't let you janitor your free space as much as you would like.

withak fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 12, 2020

Weedle
May 31, 2006

it's a problem with icloud drive too. download a big file through files.app and you can't delete your local copy without deleting it from the cloud as well. it's supposed to be removed automatically if you get low on space but that never happens

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

13.6.1, released today is supposed to help with storage issues, but idk if it will for you!

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lifehacker says a lot of gross and stupid things.

The mascara brushes are a great idea tho.

Entropy238 posted:

What’re the chances of the 2020 iPhone SE seeing a price drop when Tim releases the new iPhones in October? Maybe it’s best to wait till the refurbs hit Amazon to get a good deal?

Also - is there any thread consensus on whether the AirPods Pro are good value vs. the ordinary AirPods 2? I’ve never used noise cancelling before but I hear it’s pretty dope.

Value? No, not even close. You get pretty good noise cancelling for a few things that you don't have in your life anymore (because noise cancelling is a lot better with low, predictable sounds), they're even less functional anywhere even a little bit cold, and they tend to break often and hard so when the warranty's out they're gone.

They sound great and work perfectly until they don't, but good value they are not.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

endlessmonotony posted:

Value? No, not even close. You get pretty good noise cancelling for a few things that you don't have in your life anymore (because noise cancelling is a lot better with low, predictable sounds), they're even less functional anywhere even a little bit cold, and they tend to break often and hard so when the warranty's out they're gone.

They sound great and work perfectly until they don't, but good value they are not.

Spicy. Are you just perpetually mad at apple or what? My AirPods survived the NYC winter just fine and are still working great and I got them about a week after launch. A+ would AirPods Pro again.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Airpod Pro are a million times better value for me because I can actually comfortably use them, while I cannot comfortably use AirPods Amateur, and thus they are useless to me.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I bought AirPod Pros and I was super impressed with the noise cancelling but had to return them since they gave me headaches every time I used them.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Matt Zerella posted:

Spicy. Are you just perpetually mad at apple or what? My AirPods survived the NYC winter just fine and are still working great and I got them about a week after launch. A+ would AirPods Pro again.

Wait, NYC winter?

Ain't buying it. Not a serious post.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Google Maps updated with CarPlay dashboard support. Seems nice. The top right card will display your next turn or just a search button if you don't have a route.

Now I just need Waze to support it.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Wait so AirPods Pro are unreliable? Maybe it’s worth forking out for AppleCare+?

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Entropy238 posted:

Wait so AirPods Pro are unreliable? Maybe it’s worth forking out for AppleCare+?

If you want them, absolutely.

Just don't misplace them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Entropy238 posted:

Unless the new phones are the same price as the SE it will have zero affect on price.

Buy a refurb from Apple, do not buy a refurb from Amazon.