Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

So more Marine upgrades have appeared in the wild.
Veterans now have 2 wounds base
-1 AP chainswords not locked to Assault Intercessors
Thunder Hammers now Damage 4
Power Sword now grants +1 Strength
Power Axes buffed to +2 Strength

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster Rooster
Feb 7, 2012

I only eat organic grain

I know that the full answer will be 'depends on the event organizer', but what are the general "tournament-legal" rules when it comes to kitbashes? I'm a big fan of Gaslands, especially the hot-wheels customizing part, and ork vehicles seem to potentially be able to scratch the same itch. I love the idea of a big group of bikes and trucks, each uniquely ramshackled, with greenskins inside dakka'ing at everybody within range.

Would such a list even be viable, or would it just be a gimmicky option that ends up losing the game on 2nd turn?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Games Workshop sponsored tournaments that will be broadcast to warhammer TV require you only kitbash with GW model bits.

Local tournaments are so variable its impossible to tell. Check with your TO.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One

Cooked Auto posted:

It's going to be great when they give CSM two wounds as well because they are also veterans.

:(

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
I like the first two Night Lords books quite a bit, but the writing in the third felt really lazy at times. Characters tell each other to quit whining like every 10 pages and there are a couple moments where situations aren't consistent over the space of a couple paragraphs. I remember at one point Cyrion or someone is freaking out about how the Empire is going to be on them in a matter of hours after Talos' warp scream thing, but a paragraph or two later everyone's talking about how it would be like a week or two for response fleets to arrive. Was jarring after how solid the previous two novels felt.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/12/look-out-sir-for-an-faq-update

So Look Out Sir got FAQ'd again.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
WE'VE DONE

EXTENSIVE PLAYTESTING

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe
I finished my first Valkyrie, and it's so big. Or rather it looks about the right size something that can carry 12 dudes and a bunch of missiles should be.

Leman Russes so smol.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Hehe, well at least they listen to the community. All the Drukarih players went mental. A bit like Orcs did with the mechshop.

SerCypher
May 10, 2006

Gay baby jail...? What the hell?

I really don't like the sound of that...
Fun Shoe

Move over Ogryn Bodyguard, Sentinel bodyguard is my new best friend now.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Cooked Auto posted:

Geez, they're just gonna have to do a blanket "all factions except space marines have their points costs halved on all units" type thing with all these extra SM buffs. The power sword one is pretty nice though. Power swords are always cool in the fluff, so it's good it's a little less lame.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

I'm more surprised that normal marines are included in these updates and that they might actually get 2 wounds base now and it's not just Primaris that get buffed as per usual.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless
Legit curious what the Chaos marine datasheets look like when they start to leak. Hopefully at least comparable.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
The powersword change is great for Zephyrim.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm not holding my breath that other factions get access to these new and improved weapon stats like multi meltas and power swords.

And I say this as someone that really wants a Retributor squad with multi meltas to be good.

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Floppychop posted:

I'm not holding my breath that other factions get access to these new and improved weapon stats like multi meltas and power swords.

And I say this as someone that really wants a Retributor squad with multi meltas to be good.

I think they will, but it might take two years. Only chainswords got renamed Astartes chainswords; I think eventually everyone will get the stats on generic weapons to match these (assuming we’re not totally misinterpreting these new sheets; like, say, there’s a new evolution of Kill Team coming and these sheets are meant for that).

I guess the real question here is - if, long term, GW continues to let Marines dominate the meta so much, does that actually lose them more business than it gains them? Marines have always been the cash cow, and it’s not clear how many players dedicated to other factions would really abandon the game, and how many would just drink the kool-aid and buy Marines - or would be satisfied playing a bad army for a few years, kind of like how most of us dedicated Marine players did up until summer 2019. Do they lose more of those other players than they gain in new players who like playing Marines as a good and powerful army - plus returning Marine players dusting off previously bad units and buying up nice new Primaris models?

Well, I suppose two questions - the second before the first - which is, with GW’s development pipeline being famously several years long, do they even have the ability to adjust their strategy to the meta that much? I mean, they did nerf Marines earlier this year, outside the normal FAQ/CA pipeline, which suggests they do have the ability to judge and respond to the meta in something closer to real time, but if I’m GW, I don’t consider the current meta to mean much of anything. 9th is too new and they’re still working on basic structural fixes, on top of so few games to look at due to COVID; correcting broken armies and units probably gets to wait until next year, sadly.

Coldbird fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Aug 12, 2020

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say the positive changes to baby marines is one last financial push to clear old excess inventory before they're all official discontinued.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Alokgen posted:

I'm going to go out on the limb here and say the positive changes to baby marines is one last financial push to clear old excess inventory before they're all official discontinued.

They could just sell old marines at a discount

Lol

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lol

or put them in Supply Drops.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry
Finally finished my mini project of stripping a 16 year old paint job off Creed and repainting him, so he now looks fit to grumpily stand over my Cadians and issue orders to them.

Kell isn't as important for now as I doubt I'll ever take him and I had him when he was metal, and had to mould literal coins onto his base to keep him standing upright. Might be legit easier to just buy the resin one and start again.

Also Kell is dead, so ain't got time for that.

Kitchner fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 12, 2020

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Lol

Excuse me..

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Coldbird posted:

I think they will, but it might take two years. Only chainswords got renamed Astartes chainswords; I think eventually everyone will get the stats on generic weapons to match these (assuming we’re not totally misinterpreting these new sheets; like, say, there’s a new evolution of Kill Team coming and these sheets are meant for that).

I guess the real question here is - if, long term, GW continues to let Marines dominate the meta so much, does that actually lose them more business than it gains them? Marines have always been the cash cow, and it’s not clear how many players dedicated to other factions would really abandon the game, and how many would just drink the kool-aid and buy Marines - or would be satisfied playing a bad army for a few years, kind of like how most of us dedicated Marine players did up until summer 2019. Do they lose more of those other players than they gain in new players who like playing Marines as a good and powerful army - plus returning Marine players dusting off previously bad units and buying up nice new Primaris models?

Well, I suppose two questions - the second before the first - which is, with GW’s development pipeline being famously several years long, do they even have the ability to adjust their strategy to the meta that much? I mean, they did nerf Marines earlier this year, outside the normal FAQ/CA pipeline, which suggests they do have the ability to judge and respond to the meta in something closer to real time, but if I’m GW, I don’t consider the current meta to mean much of anything. 9th is too new and they’re still working on basic structural fixes, on top of so few games to look at due to COVID; correcting broken armies and units probably gets to wait until next year, sadly.

I'm curious why you think marines are dominating the meta long term. After spending the first 2 years entirely in the dumpster, they were given an update that brought most chapters up to par and was brokenly strong for a couple until they ate several faq nerfs. We never really got to see that play out because of covid, and are now in 9th where custodes and death guard are initially appearing to be on top.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Where do you all order your models from in the US? Miniature Market seems to be missing a lot of what I'm looking for, GW is out of stock on most things, and my FLGS doesn't do custom orders.

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Where do you all order your models from in the US? Miniature Market seems to be missing a lot of what I'm looking for, GW is out of stock on most things, and my FLGS doesn't do custom orders.

I recently tried Ministomp since no other place had what I was looking for. Everything is e-mail based, but they're quick with responding to stock inquiry, sending invoices, and shipping. Would recommend again. 4.2/5 stars

Coldbird
Jul 17, 2001

be spiritless

Booley posted:

I'm curious why you think marines are dominating the meta long term. After spending the first 2 years entirely in the dumpster, they were given an update that brought most chapters up to par and was brokenly strong for a couple until they ate several faq nerfs. We never really got to see that play out because of covid, and are now in 9th where custodes and death guard are initially appearing to be on top.
We have very little in the way of tournament results to go off of right now - but even if we had lots, I’m not sure how valuable it would be just because there’s so much more coming soon and we’re kind of in the initial mess phase. Between content updates and the inevitable slough or tweaks and fixes to 9th rules we can expect, I think in six months it will be a very different conversation about armies and lists and the meta. Hell, maybe we’ll all be bitching about getting rolled by FOTM necrons.

In particular, I think GW will probably rebalance the list of secondaries in early 21, maybe add/remove some, which could shift the game a lot. Some of them, like Engage on All Fronts, I don’t necessarily think are good for the game and force list design and gameplay into weird contortions. At the very least, I think they made a mistake with copying the ITC notion of making secondaries worth such a huge amount of points; at their current value, they sort of warp the entire game and all list design around them, sometimes to the point that the primary objectives feel... secondary. That is kind of a whole another subject, though.

I mean, yeah, you could be right, maybe Marines’ time in the sun is already over. I play some competitive games but I don’t often win them, and am not any kind of expert. I just don’t see Marines in their current state being all that much worse off than before, and they just have so drat many options compared to factions where your only serious tournament lists are slight variations on one or two concepts.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I just discovered I'm right in between two different Warhammer physical stores, both about 30 minutes away (north and south). Holy poo poo

As for online buying, I'd be interested to know too. GW is perpetually out of stuff, and eBay is good for finding random sprues of stuff, but I'll have to bookmark some suggestions.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Verisimilidude posted:

I usually order from DiscountGamesInc.com but honestly they recently "updated" their website and now it's slow as gently caress to search / load anything. Haven't really found a site I liked since their update / The War Store disappeared (what happened there, anyways?)

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shockeh posted:

In here we have people hating Eisenhorn, and in the BL thread we had someone suggest Battle For The Abyss as an enjoyable read. Truly the isolation mindworms have taken us all.

:wtc:

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sab669 posted:

The War Store disappeared (what happened there, anyways?)

IIRC they hired ex-cons and one of them hosed Neil out of business.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
https://youtu.be/AYXxYAM38z0
poo poo, now I want an all Kroot Army.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Floppychop posted:

The 9th codexes were allegedly all written together so I would be surprised if these upgrades don't carry over. It's probably gonna be the better part of a couple years for all the books to get out though.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc

MRLOLAST posted:

The powersword change is great for Zephyrim.

I don't think this has been confirmed as a universal change. Until a new Sisters codex confirms it, these power swords are Marines-only, no?

I'm dreading another Primaris Chainsword type deal

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Coldbird posted:

Legit curious what the Chaos marine datasheets look like when they start to leak. Hopefully at least comparable.

Tzeentch has assured me that the Chaos space marines new datasheets are going to blow us all away.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Schadenboner posted:

IIRC they hired ex-cons and one of them hosed Neil out of business.

Neal died earlier this year too.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

The 9th codexes were allegedly all written together so I would be surprised if these upgrades don't carry over. It's probably gonna be the better part of a couple years for all the books to get out though.

Feels like that's one of those things they keep saying regardless of edition.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
Not to be dull but it seems like it would be challenging to write every codex simultaneously. How would that work from a project management standpoint? Do you have a different team for each codex? Do they meet? How often? Are the same people writing the rules playtesting or is that a separate team? I'm just very curious as to what the process would be.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

neaden posted:

Neal died earlier this year too.

poo poo, I’m sorry to hear that, he was too good for this world.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

MRLOLAST posted:

https://youtu.be/AYXxYAM38z0
poo poo, now I want an all Kroot Army.

Daaaaaamn. That's nice.

And - I did not know that about Neal.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
drat when are they gonna leak the loadout options for the Assault Intercessor Sergeants so I can know if I have to figure out how to get a Thunder Hammer without buying some smol marines

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Eej posted:

drat when are they gonna leak the loadout options for the Assault Intercessor Sergeants so I can know if I have to figure out how to get a Thunder Hammer without buying some smol marines

Regular Intercessor sergeants can take thunderhammers!

Assault Intercessor alternate loadouts will either be with the Assault Intercessor multipart kit or the new Marine codex, whichever comes out first. I am assuming the former.