Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cormac
Dec 18, 2005

Jippa posted:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24305230

"Japan is probably the only other place that has similarities to the UK when it comes to weather," says Chivers.

Jesus Christ Ireland is even in the loving illustration!! loving tans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

oh but seriously I posted:

i don't care if the market freezes
as long as i got mate's rates on cheeses

You will.

Mate's rates will be a week's wages for a 500g block, as opposed to a month's.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

cormac posted:

Jesus Christ Ireland is even in the loving illustration!! loving tans.

I have sometimes wondered if the British Isles TV weather maps that show NI like GB but show the south as just a dark outline with no weather :ghost: are doing it out of a spiteful tradition lol

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Do you think anyone told Liz Truss that after Brexit, literally anyone outside the UK can produce and market Blue Stilton?
I really, really hope that some enterprising sods in the RoI are setting up factories to produce all those wonderfully Designated Protection of Origin products that conservative types wank themselves senseless in appreciation for. And then sell them over the border at undercutting prices.

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

This diagram is potentially the only technically accurate Venn diagram posted in this thread thus far. I congratulate you.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
I am so hot my neck is sweating. There was a brief thunderclap and about 20ml of water fell from the sky and then the sun 🌞 yelled "sike!" and popped back out. FML

Also work have just sent round an email about encouraging people back into the office in October. God drat it! I LIKE working from home, I don't want to risk my health and safety being packed in with 500 other gobbens in a call centre!

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

Fumble posted:

Can they do that? how long have you been on it?
I dread to think what would happen if i got cut off from my antidepressants because ive been on them for well over a decade and would probably enter what is known as "The Cool Zone".

Been on it 18 months, and they cut me off without warning in February. It was originally prescribed by my private shrink, transferred to them after I saw my gp and explained that I just couldn’t realistically afford it. Then just cut off.

It’s what a significant chunk of each month’s fudge proceeds has been funding tbh, hence why I’ve been just about able to afford it.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

UKMT I need your opinions. I was talking with my mother who was unhappy that "the blacks" were at it again. Apparently someone complained that there was a pair of tights sold by Marks & Spencer which had the colour described as tobacco.

Anyway after poking around I found this story in a couple fo news outlets about a woman named Kusi Kimani, 29, from East Sussex who complained about the colour of a padded bra being called 'tobacco' as "carrying negative connotations, while more positive words were used for lighter colours." which is fair enough really. But something seemed off as all the reports used the same two pictures of the very photogenic Kusi and despite being 29 she seems to have no online presence at all. It all comes off as an advert for M&S padded bras

Am I just not good enough at searching? Is she just one of the few 29 year olds living in the UK that doesn't have some online prescence?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

mrpwase posted:

I'm gonna give Red Leicester a knife to even the odds

i used to make red leicester and goats cheddar toasties with butter on top...
it was excellent

why was i so fat?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
i like the same but battered

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

bessantj posted:

UKMT I need your opinions. I was talking with my mother who was unhappy that "the blacks" were at it again. Apparently someone complained that there was a pair of tights sold by Marks & Spencer which had the colour described as tobacco.

Anyway after poking around I found this story in a couple fo news outlets about a woman named Kusi Kimani, 29, from East Sussex who complained about the colour of a padded bra being called 'tobacco' as "carrying negative connotations, while more positive words were used for lighter colours." which is fair enough really. But something seemed off as all the reports used the same two pictures of the very photogenic Kusi and despite being 29 she seems to have no online presence at all. It all comes off as an advert for M&S padded bras

Am I just not good enough at searching? Is she just one of the few 29 year olds living in the UK that doesn't have some online prescence?

There is someone of the same name and similar age based in Brighton (which is East Sussex) who looks similar on LinkedIn.
She's not an actor or in advertising, she works in a US-based health company.
I'll not link to her as that is a bit like stalking!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

bessantj posted:

Normalising stalking strangers online is worse for society than a newspaper making up a story about the colour of a bra.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

There is someone of the same name and similar age based in Brighton (which is East Sussex) who looks similar on LinkedIn.
She's not an actor or in advertising, she works in a US-based health company.
I'll not link to her as that is a bit like stalking!

Oh I'm not on linkedin so couldn't look there. Cheers.

blunt posted:

Normalising stalking strangers online is worse for society than a newspaper making up a story about the colour of a bra.

If I had found her facebook that would have been the end of it I wouldn't have interacted with her it's just in the past there have been stories like this and I've Googled the "complainers" only to find they're employed by an advertising or PR company. I agree stalking is a real problem and isn't taken seriously enough.

bessantj fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Aug 12, 2020

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

kingturnip posted:

Do you think anyone told Liz Truss that after Brexit, literally anyone outside the UK can produce and market Blue Stilton?
I really, really hope that some enterprising sods in the RoI are setting up factories to produce all those wonderfully Designated Protection of Origin products that conservative types wank themselves senseless in appreciation for. And then sell them over the border at undercutting prices.

Nobody would dare, she's been harping on a out cheese disgrace and pork markets for years. To tell her would break her little heart.

https://youtu.be/r0M1YEf9s0g
So earnest!

https://youtu.be/bRhlRM6rYck
Who could tell her about Stilton?

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 12, 2020

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

kingturnip posted:

Isn't NI staying in the common market presumably including pdo?

Ohhh wait but yeah Stilton won't be right. Does Belfast have any famous cheeses?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Bra chat:

Reminds me of a funny story. I shared a flat with a Nigerian woman for several years. We were chatting one day and I was complaining about bras showing through white shirts. She said seriously "wear a black one and it won't show". Then we both burst out laughing when we realized. She said when she was at school, girls were supposed to wear 'flesh coloured' (a sort of hideous brown colour) tights and she got told off for wearing black tights but she said to the relevant teacher "these ARE flesh coloured".

Weather chat:

Finally got some thunder and heavy rain. Looks like it might be a hot muggy night - thunderstorms and temperatures of 20C promised for our town.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Aug 12, 2020

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

We’re going to find out in a few years that if you eat too much Stilton the blue veins work their way into your brain like toxoplasmosis and control your every thought, with their only aim to infect the world

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Finally got some thunder and heavy rain. Looks like it might be a hot muggy night - thunderstorms and temperatures of 20C promised for our town.

Here as well, not much thunder so far but lots of rain.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I read only 12 people on board the train, 2 have died. So dunno why they need 30 emergency vehicles? Something not adding up.

Nah, seems reasonable. For example, if people are severely injured it takes more than two ambulance crew to stabalise and treat them, and they have to travel to the scene somehow. Just carrying an injured person up the embankment takes a minimum of 6, and ideally 8, people. And that doesn't include the people making the scene safe or guarding the perimeter so that people don't wander over for a look-see.

keep punching joe posted:

Hot take : unis should operate distance learning due to the pandemic allowing them to increase places / lower fees. Everyone eaving school this year should be guaranteed a place.

I keep seeing this suggested unironically and don't understand why people think it's somehow easier, quicker and cheaper to do this, even if it were possible. Surely people understand that you can't teach biochemistry or music medicine (human or veterinary!) or archaeology without the practical sessions? Even if you could, it isn't any quicker for academics to write a lecture or mark an essay because it's online. And if you're expecting the students to use online books or journals, then the university has to pay for them. If the library has a physical book, the publisher isn't going to give you a digital copy, even if such a thing exists, out of the goodness of their hearts. Publishers are notorious for subscription packages that limit the number of simultaenous users per licence and for charging each time a book or journal article is accessed, and funnily enough they jacked the prices up at the start of the pandemic. The library pays for this, but it means that an ebook can easily cost more over the lifetime of the licence than the physical copy.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/EdwardLeighMP/status/1292781286231289857?s=19

I'm not sure if I believe he's really had second thoughts about this.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jel Shaker posted:

We’re going to find out in a few years that if you eat too much Stilton the blue veins work their way into your brain like toxoplasmosis and control your every thought, with their only aim to infect the world

only explanation for people claiming to like it I can think of

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Lady Demelza posted:

Publishers are notorious for subscription packages that limit the number of simultaenous users per licence and for charging each time a book or journal article is accessed, and funnily enough they jacked the prices up at the start of the pandemic. The library pays for this, but it means that an ebook can easily cost more over the lifetime of the licence than the physical copy.

It's getting very hard to be an independent researcher these days.

Every pdf you find demands either an institutional login or something like £30-£40 to have access to a document for 24 hours that might not even be what you need because all you can see is the abstract.

I went to the British LIbrary a couple of years ago and couldn't find any paper journals in my field dated after December 2013. I asked the science librarian and he said everything comes digital now but they don't have the infrastructure to share it. Fortunately the journals I needed were accessible over their digital system.

On a slightly related note:

I have had this idea for a while - rather than buying a subscription (or finding ways to avoid paying) to each different newspaper or journal you might want to refer to occasionally so really doesn't warrant a subscription, wouldn't it be easier to have a system whereby they all join some kind of 'consortium' and individuals pay a small sum per page accessed like 1p or something (say you have to buy 'credits' first because I have some idea without bothering to check that the concept of micropayments didn't work out too well). So if I read 10 Graun pages, 5 Heil pages my account would be deducted 15p.
Ignoring for now that some people will never want to pay for access, what other flaws in such a system might there be?

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I am officially hot.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Normally when I whack on the AC unit it cools my room down in a few minutes, today it's so hot it's taking a good hour to do so, unless you sit right in front of it (which I have been doing) you wouldn't even notice it was doing anything to the air temp for a long long time. I mean, it's still working and I'm extremely grateful for the cool baja blast and all but crikey.

crispix posted:

I have sometimes wondered if the British Isles TV weather maps that show NI like GB but show the south as just a dark outline with no weather :ghost: are doing it out of a spiteful tradition lol

I had sort of assumed it was because there's some Big Lads what would make A Fuss if they did that because it could be inferred by said Big Lads as suggesting the Free State was still under the auspices of the UK but your idea makes just as much sense tbh

Always wound me up though. Surely to God there's enough people going to and from on any given day/weekend/etc.* to warrant a look at their weather

* I mean not atm but...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

I am officially hot.

You can't be officially hot until you've submitted an application form to the department of hot or not and had it signed off by a hotness adjudicator and received your hot certificate.

A Good Time
Dec 20, 2015

I've been mashing refresh on the BBC weather all day and there was a little lightning bolt and 22% chance of rain scheduled in for London at 2300. It's just disappeared :mad:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lord of the Llamas posted:

This diagram is potentially the only technically accurate Venn diagram posted in this thread thus far. I congratulate you.
I knew there was a reason that I took the optional maths modules.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

It's getting very hard to be an independent researcher these days.

Every pdf you find demands either an institutional login or something like £30-£40 to have access to a document for 24 hours that might not even be what you need because all you can see is the abstract.
:filez:

Seriously, in a lot of cases (triply so for social science researchers and researchers in the Global South) they prefer that over someone paying the subscription that they never see a penny of.

Ms Adequate posted:

I had sort of assumed it was because there's some Big Lads what would make A Fuss if they did that because it could be inferred by said Big Lads as suggesting the Free State was still under the auspices of the UK but your idea makes just as much sense tbh

Always wound me up though. Surely to God there's enough people going to and from on any given day/weekend/etc.* to warrant a look at their weather
:same:

Especially the Ceefax Irish weird sperm that haunted my childhood.

I assumed it was something to do with the Met Office jurisdiction.

Not sure at all what's going on with this one but it looks like they have abandoned half of Ulster to the Nationalists.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

THE STORM IS HERE.

Bedroom just dropped from 26.6 to 20 point nothing in under five minutes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Guavanaut posted:

Especially the Ceefax Irish weird sperm that haunted my childhood.

I assumed it was something to do with the Met Office jurisdiction.

Not sure at all what's going on with this one but it looks like they have abandoned half of Ulster to the Nationalists.

lmao there's quite a lot going on here, did Cornwall get cut off like bugs_bunny_florida.gif?

Bamboozled like Bambette tbh

e; I just noticed that the weather for today in the first pic in the green segment is simply "Green"

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Aug 12, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

midlands remain clammy, pensive

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Freaky storm in south east Wales at the moment. Unreal humility, intense lighting but no thunder. Looking forward to the rapid temperature drop shortly

Loonytoad Quack
Aug 24, 2004

High on Shatner's Bassoon

Ah "Green", my favourite of all the weathers.

Sanford posted:

THE STORM IS HERE.

Bedroom just dropped from 26.6 to 20 point nothing in under five minutes.

We've just had a couple of hours of rain and storms but it's still 28 loving degrees in here. Kill me now.

Loonytoad Quack fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Aug 12, 2020

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Loonytoad Quack posted:

Ah "Green", my favourite of all the weathers.
Green and Pleasant.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

rateful?

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
Sheffield is Too Hot

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

Lobster God posted:

Sheffield is Too Hot

Thankfully the people counteract it I have never been to Sheffield

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Crazy storm over Swansea atm, never seen anything like it. To my North, East, and West, constant rumbling thunder, multiple simultaneous horizontal lightning forks forming crazy patterns. Above me, clear skies & starlight :shrug:

Still pleasantly warm, too. Outside listening to some classical music for the first time in years, in my pants, with a little whisky. It's pretty great.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Guavanaut posted:

:filez:

Seriously, in a lot of cases (triply so for social science researchers and researchers in the Global South) they prefer that over someone paying the subscription that they never see a penny of.
http://sci-hub.tw

Free academic journals, never used it myself but criminologist gf recommends it

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

goddamnedtwisto posted:

(Note: This is a massive oversimplification because I already hate telephone networks, which exist purely to keep the kind of people who understand them safely out of the way of the public, and mobile also throws in RF, which is basically witchcraft)

4G was always a bit of a marketing push rather than any actual improvement in the underlying tech. Unlike 3G, which was a massive rewrite from GSM (itself an even more complete break from older analogue and hybrid networks) 4G is a lashed-together bunch of stepwise upgrades from 3G which not every provider actually uses.

The stuff we think of as defining 4G - higher data speeds, mostly - are actually just squeezing the 3G standard until it squeaks, mostly by using higher frequencies which by definition are less reliable, and by cranking back the error-correction and other reliability bits of 3G. Now this isn't as bad as it sounds - 3G was actually a pretty conservative standard even if it did offer order-of-magnitude increases in speed over GPRS, and 4G is mostly the providers going "Hey we can run this poo poo a *lot* hotter without any problems". Optimising it for throughput (and dumping a lot more work onto increasingly-powerful handsets) meant the rollout could be done far more quickly and easily than 3G, often using the same or only mildly-upgraded provider kit.

Because the existing 3G network is still there (and still intended to be there for a long time) and, as I say, often sharing the same equipment, it was easy to make part of the standard "gently caress it, use 3G instead" to crank up the speed of 4G even further - a 4G-only network would make the old brick phones look like a landline, reliability-wise.

bustin keaton posted:

3G is able to travel and penetrate further than 4G due to it using lower frequency wavelengths. You therefore need fewer base stations to provide an area with stable coverage than 4G. There's also the benefit of most other users now being on 4G networks, which reduces the load on 3G. In urban areas, there's also the benefit of 3G dealing better with glass, which most of central London is now built out of.

Problem here is that yes, trap sprung, I understand how these things work and thus probably should be kept safe from the public who doesn't because they're doing WHAT about 5G now... and you two don't understand how 4G uses the wavelengths it does, because the claim that 4G uses higher frequency wavelengths having any bearing upon its reliability is just plain wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
does anyone have a reliable source for this, or am i being bamboozled by fakery?
https://twitter.com/terryfuck45/status/1293633129991856135

ItsDisposable posted:

I've been mashing refresh on the BBC weather all day and there was a little lightning bolt and 22% chance of rain scheduled in for London at 2300. It's just disappeared :mad:
we had storms scheduled for 11pm, i was looking forward to them. there are now no storms predicted until 4am. fuckers