Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Lobster God posted:

Sheffield is Too Hot

Hello Sheffield bud. Yes it is hot. Its cooler in the garden but I would like to not die from horse flies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

CGI Stardust posted:

does anyone have a reliable source for this, or am i being bamboozled by fakery?
https://twitter.com/terryfuck45/status/1293633129991856135
Can't comment on sources but I've been on the receiving end of defamation claims a few times & this is exactly the kind of message I'd send out after settling. It's not suspicious though: p much any defamation settlement would specifically require you to do this

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Re academic publishing - you know who you have to thank for our current ridiculous system? Hint - you definitely know who his daughter is.

90% of academics will send you the pre-print if you email them, as others have said there is no benefit to the academic that a subscription is bought.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Cardiff and Stoke on Trent stealing all the wet weather according to lightening maps. Pls share ya greedy bastuds

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lobster God posted:

Sheffield is Too Hot

much like how iceland isn't björk island, jarvis may have unrealistically raised your expectations

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Borrovan posted:

http://sci-hub.tw

Free academic journals, never used it myself but criminologist gf recommends it

Emailing the contact author is usually the easiest way to get a free copy, although even this is becoming less common now.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Borrovan posted:

I didn't link it because it is still technically :filez:, but yes, lots of lefty Marxist academics recommend it even for their own works, if you're doing legitimate research and find journals a barrier to entry.

Aaron Swartz did nothing wrong, and genuine papers should be as accessible as patents (and both should be more accessible than they are).

CancerCakes posted:

90% of academics will send you the pre-print if you email them, as others have said there is no benefit to the academic that a subscription is bought.
Yeah I've been told "just send a nice thank you card to [named researcher] if you find it useful" a few times by departments.

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008

Mebh posted:

Hello Sheffield bud. Yes it is hot. Its cooler in the garden but I would like to not die from horse flies.

I'm in a top floor flat that gets the sun in the afternoon. Every window is open. I have welcomed the moths as my friends.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Nah sci hub is the easiest way, they've got everything.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Wales, the Midlands and the North West getting their second storm of the day, and some of us haven't had any yet.

Sheffield goons, the lightning is heading your way.

Edit: Moon is a deep apocalypse orange colour. If someone told me that in 2020 the moon caught fire, I would believe it.

Lady Demelza fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Aug 12, 2020

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

academics will grant you any knowledge you desire if you can solve their riddles

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

kingturnip posted:

Do you think anyone told Liz Truss that after Brexit, literally anyone outside the UK can produce and market Blue Stilton?
I really, really hope that some enterprising sods in the RoI are setting up factories to produce all those wonderfully Designated Protection of Origin products that conservative types wank themselves senseless in appreciation for. And then sell them over the border at undercutting prices.

The PDO of Stilton is very stupid. Not only can you not produce it in the town of Stilton, you also cannot produce it using unpasteurised milk (ie the way it was made for hundreds of years) because at the time the PDO was set all the remaining producers were using pasteurised.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
Llyn peninsula is currently getting some decent pyrotechnics. I might have to spend the morning bailing out at work. We were already flashflooded by monday's thunderstorm.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

We're long overdue weather redistribution in this country :mad:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It also bears repeating: something in the region of 70% of Japanese people are lactose intolerant. It's why cheese-flavoured food is rare there, they just have no taste for it because most people there can't eat it.

This is like the metaphorical opposite of coals to Newcastle, with the same result.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Random overheard all-the-windows-are-open conversation:
"... video on facebook where they're pissing in the garden and there's nothing the landlord can do about it..."

Sounds like one of these niche fetish groups. Landlord cuckolded by huge streams of PISS all over deposit agreement.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Borrovan posted:

Can't comment on sources but I've been on the receiving end of defamation claims a few times & this is exactly the kind of message I'd send out after settling. It's not suspicious though: p much any defamation settlement would specifically require you to do this
ah, cheers. presumably they knew before they settled that this would be the case; it adds a little spice to have what amounts to democratic centralism without the democracy enforced by the legal system. bet the SWP wish they'd managed that trick.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Lungboy posted:

Emailing the contact author is usually the easiest way to get a free copy, although even this is becoming less common now.

Problem comes when you're looking for a paper that came out some time ago and the author has moved on - possibly out of academia. (Eg yours truly. I have 192 citations so far most for my 'first author' paper though these days they tend to be 'courtesy' citations as my main paper is 19 years old now and at least one person who took my research and built on it for his PhD is now a full professor - maybe I should have stayed in academia instead of heeding the call of mammon?). I have stuck all my stuff up online but you'd need to know what you're looking for.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

Random overheard all-the-windows-are-open conversation:
"... video on facebook where they're pissing in the garden and there's nothing the landlord can do about it..."

Sounds like one of these niche fetish groups. Landlord cuckolded by huge streams of PISS all over deposit agreement.

Tethered to my Tenant - a Chuck Tingle story

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Borrovan posted:

Crazy storm over Swansea atm, never seen anything like it. To my North, East, and West, constant rumbling thunder, multiple simultaneous horizontal lightning forks forming crazy patterns. Above me, clear skies & starlight :shrug:

Still pleasantly warm, too. Outside listening to some classical music for the first time in years, in my pants, with a little whisky. It's pretty great.

Yes, we had that in Newport. Stood outside to watch it, I haven't seen a storm like that in a long time.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Ms Adequate posted:

Always wound me up though. Surely to God there's enough people going to and from on any given day/weekend/etc.* to warrant a look at their weather

* I mean not atm but...

It was annoying if I was going to Dublin or that of a day (in the before times) and wanted to know the weather yeah. The local forecasts have only in recent years started showing the weather for the whole island at the end

Guavanaut posted:

Especially the Ceefax Irish weird sperm that haunted my childhood.

It's like a locally made budget disaster film where Lough Neagh has flooded the whole island. As a sideplot Scotland appears to have broken in two and... Cornwall has set sail for the Atlantic :yarr:

I hope to god they don't dock in the Carribean on Mummer's Day :stare:

or at all really

crispix fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 12, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

oh but seriously I posted:

academics will grant you any knowledge you desire if you can solve their riddles

Politics Student: Professor Crom, I am wondering if you can help me understand how the Left can succeed in Electoralism?

Professor Crom: ONLY IF YOU CAN ANSWER THE RIDDLE OF CENTRIST!

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
This weather is loving miserable. I refuse to believe that people live in countries that are hotter than this on a daily basis.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Why will the rains not come have we displeased the gods.

I’m understanding how human sacrifice starts seeming like the logical option.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
Based Patel?

https://www.pinknews.co.uk/2020/08/12/priti-patel-fully-decriminalise-poppers/

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
The weather app is telling me it's raining right now.

Reader, it lies.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JustaDamnFool posted:

This weather is loving miserable. I refuse to believe that people live in countries that are hotter than this on a daily basis.

Egypt for example is hotter but a lot less humid most of the time, though it has its moments. The humidity makes a huge difference because when it's very humid you can't sweat.
Also, something I spotted when I first started visiting, was that all men wore cotton vests (UK vests, not US vests which are waistcoats for the benefit of any American readers) under their shirts which at first you would think would make you hotter. But working on the assumption that men in general don't do anything to inconvenience themselves and given that every man I saw had a vest, I tried it and it worked! The cotton vest tops (and other underwear) soak up the sweat and it slowly evaporates in the heat, far more comfortable if you find yourself sitting on vinyl bus seats or plastic office chairs for instance!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Had a few hours of rain and thunder and lightning all around but it's still hot as gently caress.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

I thought they were legal?
My friend and I used to take them before gigs for a few months, made us giggle like heck for ages and then splitting headache. After a few months the giggling stopped and we just got the splitting headache so we stopped.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope this means they'll be able to sell actual amyl again openly, rather than poo poo-tier isopropyl nitrite etc.

Maybe they'll even do a protected designation of origin where proper amyls can only be sold as 'english' if they come in a brown glass bottle with a plain white label sold by gay bikers named Steve who know a guy who does chemistry.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My friend and I used to take them before gigs for a few months, made us giggle like heck for ages and then splitting headache. After a few months the giggling stopped and we just got the splitting headache so we stopped.

They are legal in a really dumb way that they're technically sold for other purposes but she's talking about exempting them from a potential future ban so they could be sold as just a legal high and we might not have to suffer those awful little metal cannisters being left everywhere.

Edit \/ \/ you might well be right, I know nothing about the sex drugs and am going entirely of an excited gay mate sending me the link on whatsapp

Vitamin P fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Aug 12, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought the metal canisters were nitrous oxide

Is that the same as poppers?

I'm not a drug person

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Borrovan posted:

As an academic with access to most of the paywalled stuff anyway I still use SciHub a lot of the time because it’s just much easier than having to jump through all the authentication hoops and then the university’s bollocksy search system.

Lady Demelza posted:

Sheffield goons, the lightning is heading your way.
Oh god, the weather gaslighting is coming from inside the thread :tinfoil:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JustaDamnFool posted:

They have air conditioners. Even if they're wood cased ones that look like a 70s stereo and sound like a 70s chest freezer, even countries considered far less developed than the UK have them. Also non-poo poo housing.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

They were, but then the Psychoactive Substances Act 2016 banned everything that has an effect on the nervous system other than caffeine, nicotine, and alcohol, and it's been a constant circus act of judges saying "that's dumb as poo poo, of course butane camping gas is legal" ever since.

Vitamin P posted:

They are legal in a really dumb way that they're technically sold for other purposes but she's talking about exempting them from a potential future ban so they could be sold as just a legal high and we might not have to suffer those awful little metal cannisters being left everywhere.
That's nitrous oxide, which is a different thing that judges have had to say "that's dumb as poo poo" about since 2016 but could also be legalized in more productive ways than at present.

Strawman
Feb 9, 2008

Tortuga means turtle, and that's me. I take my time but I always win.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not a drug person

poppers come in little brown glass bottles normally (last time I checked, many years ago)

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Poppers are "legal" and usually sold as leather cleaner or room odouriser, the ban on actual amyl and the switch to iso nitrate was a separate thing that they blamed on amyl being damaging if you got it in your eyes, ignoring that iso loving melts flesh if you spill it on you and don't notice. Hopefully we can go back to amyl and I can stop importing from germany

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm not a drug person

I always thought poppers were amyl nitrates. Smelly purple stuff.
(Might not have been purple, that's just my memory of nearly 30 years ago crawling round on the floor of the women's bogs at the marquee uncontrollably laughing spilling the darn stuff everywhere).

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
Can anyone fix me up with some clarkycat :dadjoke:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Poppers are insane good for giving ridiculously intense orgasms but beware, its very easy to build a tolerance and then normal orgasms feel kinda meh which isn't ideal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

Poppers are insane good for giving ridiculously intense orgasms but beware, its very easy to build a tolerance and then normal orgasms feel kinda meh which isn't ideal!

Didn't do that on my friend and I (women). Just uncontrollable laughing. And that terrible splitting headache.