Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

fart store posted:

Unknowable pleasures. Heights of ecstasy that will dwarf any potential future bliss to undetectability, meaninglessness, noise against that one prominent pork signal that will have been etched into your memory for the rest of your conscious life. A threshold from which, once crossed, one can never return.

Serves 4 to 6.

I mean, if the goal is pork belly slurry to be eaten through a straw, I can dig it. Different strokes and all. Just curious what the goal actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It is actually the severed penis of his former lover. The other pieces are vacuum sealed in the fridge, ready for the cambro. Don't ask questions.

Thrasher
Apr 21, 2002

I've made Montreal smoked meat before but always on a smoker.. So this I would normally post in the Slow Smoking Meat thread but I've adapted the recipe to do it sous vide.

The recipe I used was adapted from a recipe a guy named Porker on chowhound made, whom among others in the forum and 400 some odd posts later came up with a great recipe to try and recreate a cross between Schwartz's and Smoke Meat Pete's in Montreal Canada. Biggreenmatt started the thread and ultimately augmented the recipe and posted it to the egghead forums for big green egg users.

Chowhound: https://www.chowhound.com/post/making-montreal-smoked-meat-home-794033
EggheadForum: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1128140/ultimate-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe

I altered the final recipe posted to the eggheadforums to add some brown sugar and make it a touch sweeter in the cure. Also, I had prague powder #1 vs Readycure and used less bay leaf powder.. Here is my spice blend for the cure:

4 tb prague powder #1
1/2 lb black peppercorn, coarse grind
1lb kosher salt
1/4 lb sugar
1/4 lb brown sugar
1/4 lb coriander seed, coarse grind
1.5 tb bay leaf powder
3 tb cloves, coarse grind

I bought all this at bulk barn in Canada..

A trip to Costco and they had full packer brisket. $8.49/kg CAD for AAA. Picked up this one @ 7.19 kg.

Trimmed a good portion of the fat off the brisket.. I wanted the cure to penetrate the meat well. Maybe left 1/8" of fat on one side of the brisket, but no more.

Ground up my spices and mixed all in a large ziploc bag and shook to combine well.

Thoroughly covered the brisket in the cure, using about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I made, then wrapped it many times in plastic wrap and put it in an aluminum roasting pan to sit in the fridge for ~ 10days.

For the next 10 days I would flip the brisket over in the pan, twice daily.. the cure would pull out some juices from the meat but mostly it was contained in the plastic wrap.

While I wait i figured I'll need a larger sous vide container for a full packer brisket.. so I augmented a coleman cooler from Canadian Tire.

Once 10 days had passed I took the brisket out of the plastic wrap and washed all the cure off.. I then soaked it in water for 3 hours, changing the water every hour. This was to remove as much salt as possible.

At this point I created a rub for the cook. 2:1 black peppercorn to coriander seed, coarse grind. I covered the brisket in the rub and vacuum sealed it. Placed it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Okay now its time to sous vide!.. I did 36 hours @ 150 F. Started at 7pm Friday evening and pulled it out Sunday morning at 7am.

Once this was finished i placed the brisket in the freezer for an hour to drop the temp quickly and prepared my big green egg for an offset smoke. I then put the brisket on @ 250F for 1 hour with some hickory wood chunks. This is only to impart a bit of smoke to the meat and add some nice bark colour.

Looking good!

Tested a few slices to see how it turned out..

Chopped it up into decent sized chunks to ziploc and share with the family.

Placed a nice chunk in a steamer for 30-45 mins.. and made a sandwich. Definitely use a steamer to finish before slicing, it makes all the difference.

Next time ill probably do only 30 hours @150F sous vide, and 1.5 hours on the smoker.

14 days to make a meal.. but totally worth it.

Thrasher fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Aug 9, 2020

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hasselblad posted:

I mean, if the goal is pork belly slurry to be eaten through a straw, I can dig it. Different strokes and all. Just curious what the goal actually is.

Its just to make the house smell nice, like a bacon candle

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Hasselblad posted:

I have to ask, what was your goal in cooking bacon like this for 13 hours?

Evenly cooked thick bacon. I thought it sounded ridiculous when I first saw it, but I'd just got the immersion circulator and thick cut bacon was what I had. It turned out great, crispy exterior with the associated flavour, tender interior - none of the chewiness I'd had with thick bacon before.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/11/how-to-make-juicy-sous-vide-bacon.html

I'll usually want bacon I can snap, but I'll have this again.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Aug 10, 2020

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

it doesn't turn into slurry after 12-13h, sorry you're waxing ignorant for some reason.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

13 hours seems excessive, but I'm wondering if you could kind of... pre-cook the bacon before a while before wrapping it around cheese stuffed jalapenos (or any number of other dumb internet things that involve a bacon weave) so they end up properly crispy instead of chewy.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I've done the sous vide bacon thing and for it to produce the desired effect you really do want it to be at least overnight. Doesn't become mush, but is a little soft for my preferences if we're talking about a side with eggs or something. Good fit for a sandwich, though.

Also, to the original question, you can cook the bacon without separating it first and then peel it apart before frying it in the pan. Be a little careful it doesn't tear, but it's fine. Unless you're talking about cooking multiple slabs of bacon stacked on top of each other, not just slices, in which case you would eventually run into thickness issues.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Relentless posted:

13 hours seems excessive, but I'm wondering if you could kind of... pre-cook the bacon before a while before wrapping it around cheese stuffed jalapenos (or any number of other dumb internet things that involve a bacon weave) so they end up properly crispy instead of chewy.
8-12h @ 145. >36h is when bacon would probably get too mushy fyi, 13h gives it the texture of belly meat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Thrasher posted:

Great post. Thanks!

The best smoked meat I had by far was in Montreal at Schwartz's. Dunn's Smoked Meat in Ottawa isn't bad, but it's no Schwartz's.

I am totally going to pick up a packer next time I'm in Costco. The closest Costco is 3 hours and another province away, so hopefully I get a chance before the snow flies.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Thrasher posted:

:getin:

I've done corned beef once before, it's a lot of work and takes a while but it's pretty great considering how hard it is to find half decent corned beef this far from Montreal. I'd definitely do it more often if I had more fridge room to support a massive curing cambro taking up a lot of it.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I get my corned beef from family run butcher shop out in the sticks. They've been doing it the same way for 40+ years and it's wonderful.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Elizabethan Error posted:

bacon...

... 13h gives it the texture of belly meat.

:thunk:

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I didn't realise it was so controversial, I always figured if Kenji was saying something it was backed up by testing (though I am admittedly a bit of a fanboy). I'm doing another batch now, but for 8h - it was only 13h before because I put it on overnight and that's how long it was before I bothered to deal with it the next day.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Got some boneless short ribs from Costco and I've been out of the puddle game for some time, but just bought one of those fuckoff-sized Rubbermaid containers and a lid with a cutout for the Anova.

Pre-searing isn't a thing anymore, right? What's a good temp for a medium rare, 24 hour cook?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Anjow posted:

I didn't realise it was so controversial, I always figured if Kenji was saying something it was backed up by testing (though I am admittedly a bit of a fanboy).

I don't see it as controvertial. However I do feel that what he brings up early in the article is true; Holding a hammer, everything looking like a nail.

Bacon is near and dear to my heart, and I simply view taking 13 hours to puddle it before frying one side is a bit absurd.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

flashy_mcflash posted:

Got some boneless short ribs from Costco and I've been out of the puddle game for some time, but just bought one of those fuckoff-sized Rubbermaid containers and a lid with a cutout for the Anova.

Pre-searing isn't a thing anymore, right? What's a good temp for a medium rare, 24 hour cook?

You can go hog wild with short ribs: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way

I'd pre-sear if you decide to do the crazy long, low temp cooks to kill off the surface bacteria.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

halokiller posted:

You can go hog wild with short ribs: https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/beef-short-ribs-your-way

I'd pre-sear if you decide to do the crazy long, low temp cooks to kill off the surface bacteria.

Wouldn’t those bacteria that survive that long cook be killed off in the post puddle inferno, or are folks eating straight from puddle to plate?

I puddle my short ribs, smoke, and then crisp.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The bacteria themselves don't matter as much as their heat-insensitive byproducts

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Hasselblad posted:

Wouldn’t those bacteria that survive that long cook be killed off in the post puddle inferno, or are folks eating straight from puddle to plate?

I go puddle to plate with 72 hr short ribs. Pre-sear aggressively, 30 min in the puddle at 180, then add cold water to bring the pool down to desired cook temp rapidly. I've never had a rib come out anything other than delicious with this approach.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hasselblad posted:

The bacteria will be well and truly destroyed by the post-bath searing, but by that point they may have produced a bunch of toxins already, which will not be destroyed by the searing heat, and which are the main concern with respect to this sort of food-borne illness. A lot of food safety is about avoiding the production of those toxins in the first place, because once they exist there isn't a lot you can do to render food clean again, AIUI.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Hasselblad posted:

I don't see it as controvertial. However I do feel that what he brings up early in the article is true; Holding a hammer, everything looking like a nail.

Bacon is near and dear to my heart, and I simply view taking 13 hours to puddle it before frying one side is a bit absurd.

I have not done SV bacon or pork belly at all, but the best pork belly dishes, including smoked cured bacon, are slow as gently caress. You should reevaluate.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Hasselblad posted:

What's so absurd about spending a single, hands off, frontloaded cook time by sous vide cooking your bacon, then being able to immediately enjoy great results in a fraction of the usual time to cook? Is it absurd to recommend sous vide methods in the sous vide thread? :shrug:

Having done puddled bacon a few times, these are my takeaways:

- It can get much better and tastier results out of cheap, grocery store brand bacon. If you're already using great bacon, then you won't have as much of a difference.
- The main hassle is repackaging before sous vide if your brand of choice has the cardboard inset thing. If all the packaging is on the outside (or you don't care about vizzling some printed, laminated cardboard with your bacon), then it's essentially zero effort to just throw it in and wait.
- As mentioned, after the initial sous vide time is spent, you can just cool it back down and after that reheat + cook the pre-vizzled bacon in a fraction of the time.

All in all, it's great, it's just a matter of how much up front preparation you're willing to go through. After having done wet cures like Canadian peameal bacon, corned beef and pastrami, and I'd like to try home made bacon at some point. I'll probably sous vide it if so--what's an extra 8-12 hours processing time after all that curing?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Subjunctive posted:

The bacteria will be well and truly destroyed by the post-bath searing, but by that point they may have produced a bunch of toxins already, which will not be destroyed by the searing heat, and which are the main concern with respect to this sort of food-borne illness. A lot of food safety is about avoiding the production of those toxins in the first place, because once they exist there isn't a lot you can do to render food clean again, AIUI.

Well poo poo, wish I'd seen this before I prepped. I didn't pre-sear and it's puddlin at 131F for 48 hours. Hopefully I don't die from this!

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

flashy_mcflash posted:

Well poo poo, wish I'd seen this before I prepped. I didn't pre-sear and it's puddlin at 131F for 48 hours. Hopefully I don't die from this!

I've puddled a few chuck roasts at 131 for up to 56 hours before searing and did not die, but ymmv

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, a 3lb chuck roast for 24 hrs at 131 (after a 24 hr dry brine) and then reverse seared on a big fire for about a minute a side works great!

It's pretty much our tri-tip replacement.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

I do mine at 144F for 72 hours (before chilling followed by an hour smoke and then crisping).

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That right there is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you do the taters in the puddle too?

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Today was the first time I've seen puddle used for sous vide, and I've now seen it 21 times.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mastajake posted:

Today was the first time I've seen puddle used for sous vide, and I've now seen it 21 times.
Check out the first page of this very thread.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

SubG posted:

Check out the first page of this very thread.

Cool.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

flashy_mcflash posted:

That right there is exactly what I'm looking for! Do you do the taters in the puddle too?

Have never tried. I wonder how a starch like that would do low and slow.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Speaking of short ribs, I'm doing my first - at about 36 hours out of 48 hours at 144. The article linked in the OP said not to use zip lock bags for such a long cook and that vacuum sealing was required. Is that just a leak thing? I don't have a vacuum sealer so I double-bagged them and they haven't leaked yet. Am I going to die of plastic poisoning?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hasselblad posted:

Have never tried. I wonder how a starch like that would do low and slow.

Cooking quartered golden or red potatoes with plenty of butter in the bag is amazing, i forgot what temp i used but it was somewhere in the area of 180 for around 2 hours. Nailing down potatoes is my next project

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

flashy_mcflash posted:

I do this all the time, and I think the surface will come up to temp in 131F water fast enough that you’re not in any particular danger. I was just explaining the reasoning, sorry if I scared you.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Just remember that if you get blade tenderized meat (the default from many supermarkets, especially sams/costco), surface bacteria is no longer just on the surface

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes! I was going to make a Jacquard joke and couldn’t pull it together, but I should have mentioned that anyway. Thanks!

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

A couple of questions:

If I'm going to get a dedicated container in which to cook, am I better off getting one of those clear polycarbonate boxes, or a cooler box whose lid I modify? Or does it not matter?

Can one put frozen meat into the bags before puddling? Rather than defrosting it first.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Anjow posted:

A couple of questions:

If I'm going to get a dedicated container in which to cook, am I better off getting one of those clear polycarbonate boxes, or a cooler box whose lid I modify? Or does it not matter?

Can one put frozen meat into the bags before puddling? Rather than defrosting it first.

1) Doesn't really matter, cost difference in energy is pennies. I do like my clear cambro tubs because they also pull double duty as proofing boxes.

2) Yes, add 30-60m to your cook time depending on thickness of item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Anjow posted:

A couple of questions:

In case you haven't spotted them already, there are neoprene sleeves available for a lot of popular sous vide containers that help bump up heat retention.

I have some big polycarbonate boxes that are broken out exclusively for when I'm cooking something long (like ribs) or big (like multiple turkey breasts), but the containers I reach for most often are actually non-polycarbonate food storage containers that I've got two lids and a neoprene sleeve for. One lid has a hole in the corner for an ANOVA, and the other seals tight so I can use it for storage in the fridge if I want.