Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Ziploc posted:

Is there a reason why Rosetta can't translate iPad apps on the fly for Intel machines?

Because Apple doesn't want to invest the immense time and effort required for that to work efficiently on top of the immense time and effort already invested in x86->ARM translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Is there a reason why Rosetta can't translate iPad apps on the fly for Intel machines?

Because it's Intel -> ARM, not the other way around?

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Ziploc posted:

Its not part of the use case. Rosetta is really a bandaid for apps delivered outside the app store or app-store apps that havent been playing catch up that havent compiled an arm version. Existing mac applications need to work on the new machines or its dead in the water since Apple doesnt have a monopoly on mac applications yet (And they might never if the Europeans and FTC decide to start treating monopolistic behavior as monopolistic behavior). But they do have that monopoly on IOS apps, meaning they can force developers to flip the option on Xcode , if they want to.

Theres absolutely nothing stopping Apple from asking IOS developers to include an intel target in the fat binaries submitted to the app store. But for whatever reason that probably isn't happening. I guess the iPad apps are an enticement to move to the new arm machines. Its a business decision, not a technical one.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Big Sur is really trying its hardest to break anything from outside the walled garden. Spent about 4 hours trying frigging *everything* I could think of to fix my wifi before I realised it had decided not to load Little snitch's Kext. Its a version designed for Big Sur, and after I managed to coerce it into stop being paranoid and load it , its fine.

I swear to god the day Apple decides to close the ability to sideload apps via things like Steam / download off internet /etc is the day I return to windows. And I *seriously* dont want to do that. I'm glad apple takes sercurity seriously, but this poo poo is getting stupid.

I hope they remember the bloody beating microsoft got from the justice department when they where deliberately breaking competitors apps, back in the 90s.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Why are you guys still installing developer beta software and expecting it to work perfectly with third party apps?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

people giving themselves massive headaches and bitching about Apple loving them over again for zero tangible benefit, just lol

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

duck monster posted:

Big Sur is really trying its hardest to break anything from outside the walled garden. Spent about 4 hours trying frigging *everything* I could think of to fix my wifi before I realised it had decided not to load Little snitch's Kext. Its a version designed for Big Sur, and after I managed to coerce it into stop being paranoid and load it , its fine.

I swear to god the day Apple decides to close the ability to sideload apps via things like Steam / download off internet /etc is the day I return to windows. And I *seriously* dont want to do that. I'm glad apple takes sercurity seriously, but this poo poo is getting stupid.

I hope they remember the bloody beating microsoft got from the justice department when they where deliberately breaking competitors apps, back in the 90s.

probate this dip

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tbh I’m still a bit baffled and annoyed that for no explained reason whatsoever Apple took out the ability to view animated gifs in Preview long ago so I can see someone getting mad that they might pull that poo poo with FaceTime.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

duck monster posted:

Its not part of the use case. Rosetta is really a bandaid for apps delivered outside the app store or app-store apps that havent been playing catch up that havent compiled an arm version. Existing mac applications need to work on the new machines or its dead in the water since Apple doesnt have a monopoly on mac applications yet

Who on earth is seriously building Mac apps without doing so on a Mac? That has to be a vanishingly small set of people, but even so I think “company has a monopoly on tools for producing software for small-share platform that they make” is going to be hard to get a lot of attention on.

IIRC the iOS/iPadOS App Store gets bitcode these days, so they could probably generate non-optimal-but-functional x86 binaries from that if they wanted to do all the other work.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

duck monster posted:

"They're trying to break anything outside the garden" is a really bad hot take on this specific issue

https://blog.obdev.at/little-snitch-and-possible-deprecation-of-nkes/
https://blog.obdev.at/little-snitch-and-the-deprecation-of-kernel-extensions/

The Little Snitch devs are porting their software from using a Network Kernel Extension to a Network Extension. NKEs are deprecated in Big Sur; NEs are the user-mode replacement.

LS devs think this is ultimately a good thing. And, far from being uncooperative or hostile, a few years back Apple began working directly with LS and other users of the NKE KPI to get feedback on the design and feature set of the NE API so it could be upgraded to meet everybody's needs by the time they deprecated NKEs. This is the literal exact opposite of Apple deliberately breaking someone else's software.

This is just a beta app on a beta API on a beta OS doing what you expect of beta quality software. Bugs happen. Go do your beta-user duty and file some bug reports. It's hard for any of us to know who wrote the bug, so let them both know.

(as a side note, lol if you think the justice department did anything significant to microsoft)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BobHoward posted:

(as a side note, lol if you think the justice department did anything significant to microsoft)

Seriously. I had a friend try to argue that the antitrust settlement is what reignited the browser space and ... yeah, no. I had my email subpoenaed for that lawsuit and it had less than no competitive effect when it was resolved.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

I get that the this particular kext (For reference I'm using the LS beta) is in a process of transfer between APIs. The problem is its rejecting all the kexts I use (Virtualbox, Fuse, Cuda and LS) on security every time the beta updates, which is something I *seriously* hope isn't going to be a feature of the OS when it goes Gold.

Its just a bit frusturating having to keep up with the Betas because its my job to stay on top of compatibility, whilst the bloody thing keeps constantly trying to sabotage me.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

duck monster posted:

I get that the this particular kext (For reference I'm using the LS beta) is in a process of transfer between APIs. The problem is its rejecting all the kexts I use (Virtualbox, Fuse, Cuda and LS) on security every time the beta updates, which is something I *seriously* hope isn't going to be a feature of the OS when it goes Gold.

Its just a bit frusturating having to keep up with the Betas because its my job to stay on top of compatibility, whilst the bloody thing keeps constantly trying to sabotage me.

Just wondering, does your job require you to be up to date on compatibility for shifting platforms like a dev beta? Serious question, that just seems unreasonable.

E; I guess if you’re a dev for one of those integrations yeah, that would make sense

squirrelzipper fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 6, 2020

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Maybe they work for Avid and have to make sure their hardware doesn't accidentally work with newer versions of macOS

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Subjunctive posted:

Seriously. I had a friend try to argue that the antitrust settlement is what reignited the browser space and ... yeah, no. I had my email subpoenaed for that lawsuit and it had less than no competitive effect when it was resolved.

lol at that friend's opinion
the only thing that changed the browser landscape was… a different company leveraging a different monopoly to push their web browser.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Public beta works great on my 11 inch air.

My only gripe is that the Safari address bar is SO THICK on a screen this tiny hah.

coke
Jul 12, 2009

Mercurius posted:

Why are you guys still installing developer beta software and expecting it to work perfectly with third party apps?
I learned from installing the first public beta of iOS 7, where they had the brand spanking new flat design, to never use beta unless im actively developing or testing and providing fixes or bug reports.

The phone would randomly heat up and the the battery life was halved while the phone stayed warm the whole day and not doing anything. It was also the first time with apple radio so it was great while it worked, but would crash the whole phone if you launched or touched the app wrong. Everything including the camera app would randomly hard crash the phone if you looked at them wrong.

Cant use the camera in a specific hardware setup seems minor compare to all that.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Bootcamp is so easy to install nowadays, there's no reason not to do it if you just want to play a few games.

Yes but no. I have pretty decent windows machines I'm just a masochist.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I feel like this 'problem' has been around for so long maybe its not a problem and I'm just doing it wrong?

So I use web gmail just like millions of other people. I also use the iOS mail app.

Whenever I attach a photo in the iOS mail app it shows up gigantic in web gmail. Yes I know there is a prompt to resize the image on send from iOS mail but sometimes I want it to have a high resolution but scaled down so as to not break the message. The reader can click on it or whatever to look at the detail if needed. Web gmail does this non destructive scaling whenever you attach an inline image. Am I just using the iOS mail app wrong?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Any reason you don't just use the Gmail iOS app?

You get push and an interface just like the web one

Especially prudent once you can set defaults in iOS 14

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

101 posted:

Any reason you don't just use the Gmail iOS app?

You get push and an interface just like the web one

Especially prudent once you can set defaults in iOS 14

I'm just so used to the iOS app since iPhone1. I guess I can give that a try come iOS 14.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
gently caress sakes. I finally installed the 10.15.6 update on my 16inch and now my CalDigit dock will only connect to one monitor at a time. Both active DVI to DP, and active VGA to DP. Everything was working great before the update. And now it's borked. This was the only other person who I've seen with the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/hsizqr/16_mbp_caldigit_ts3_plus_and_10156/

Feck! Everything was working so good with my dock! I was just getting into the one cable life. And now I'm back to a single monitor. Maybe it's time to try Big Sur and see if it fixes it.

Karsh
Dec 22, 2004

this is my destiny
Plaster Town Cop

Ziploc posted:

gently caress sakes. I finally installed the 10.15.6 update on my 16inch and now my CalDigit dock will only connect to one monitor at a time. Both active DVI to DP, and active VGA to DP. Everything was working great before the update. And now it's borked. This was the only other person who I've seen with the problem.

https://www.reddit.com/r/applehelp/comments/hsizqr/16_mbp_caldigit_ts3_plus_and_10156/

Feck! Everything was working so good with my dock! I was just getting into the one cable life. And now I'm back to a single monitor. Maybe it's time to try Big Sur and see if it fixes it.

Not 100% related, but my DAC (Schiit Fulla 2) stopped working with my CalDigit dock as of 10.15.6. Apple and Schiit support didn't have much to say, CalDigit told me to reinstall macOS. Not sure who's at fault here, but it sucks.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

duck monster posted:

https://blog.obdev.at/little-snitch-and-the-deprecation-of-kernel-extensions/

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Karsh posted:

Not 100% related, but my DAC (Schiit Fulla 2) stopped working with my CalDigit dock as of 10.15.6. Apple and Schiit support didn't have much to say, CalDigit told me to reinstall macOS. Not sure who's at fault here, but it sucks.

I found this: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251595534

EDIT: While there's still a lot of weird fuckery going on. (like all of a sudden my dual monitors can only be plugged in one way eg. right to left instead of left to right) resetting NVRAM and SMC seemed to actually let me get dual monitors back again.

EDIT2: I take that back. It's still super picky and sucky and annoying as gently caress. ESPECIALLY since I had everything cable managed.

Ziploc fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Aug 10, 2020

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

What was the big change from El Cap to Sierra that broke so many programs? Metal 2? ARC

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ziploc posted:

I dunno how long you’ve had your CalDigit dock but there was a firmware update for the TS3+ released in January that addressed the two monitor thing because Apple did something that made it stop working. If you’ve had your dock longer than that and haven’t checked for the firmware update I’d try that first.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

What was the big change from El Cap to Sierra that broke so many programs? Metal 2? ARC

Wasn't this the No More 32-Bit Apps thing?

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

AlternateAccount posted:

Wasn't this the No More 32-Bit Apps thing?
That was Mojave -> Catalina. I don’t really remember El Cap -> Sierra causing any major issues but I know that the move to APFS and stricter security measures in High Sierra caused us some issues at work.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Mercurius posted:

I dunno how long you’ve had your CalDigit dock but there was a firmware update for the TS3+ released in January that addressed the two monitor thing because Apple did something that made it stop working. If you’ve had your dock longer than that and haven’t checked for the firmware update I’d try that first.

No firmware update for the CalDigit Pro unfortunately.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Ziploc posted:

No firmware update for the CalDigit Pro unfortunately.
I didn't even realise that they were making a slimline TB3/USB-C combo dock so that's neat. I did a bit of looking around and other than that thread you linked the only other reference to similar issues I can find suggests disabling any energy saving settings on the monitor might help (from https://www.reddit.com/r/MacOS/comments/fq7gfn/external_monitor_issues).

The only other thing I can think of is the adapters might be muddying the waters if 10.15.6 has changed something about the signal output. I gather from the connectors you mentioned that you're using a couple of older monitors with active adapters to get them working with DisplayPort so are they the sort of active adapter that requires separate power from a USB connection to work?

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I'll try these things thanks!

I've un cable managed my setup so it's easier to unplug and attempt different things now.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Mercurius posted:

I can't get that goddamn update to install.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

not related to the current development talk or anything, but I just feel like I'm going to yell at everything Apple today and I don't want to work anymore today. Feel free to ignore.

I'm sitting here trying to work and my wife keeps blowing up my phone texting me about stupid poo poo and it is MUCH faster for me to reply through the Messages app (Catalina) rather than picking up and putting down my phone. Or it would be, except every 2 or 3 messages the god damned thing stops sending messages and inexplicably won't deliver. If I tell it to re-send as a text message it just "tries" for 2 minutes and then fails every time.

Maybe part of it is my network, which is 2 Airport Extreme routers (the last ones) with one set up as a repeater. It keeps flaking out on me to the point I was about to crawl under the house and run cat 5/6 throughout. I guess that's what I get for buying a house built in 78 when they made real walls - wifi dead spots. One of my xbox ones is sitting on top of my computer and struggles to get a signal unless I set it on top of the desk however the computer itself is still connected with RDP to my work computer (located at my office downtown) so I know the connection is at least stable just not "Messages" stable. I've even tried making sure that both are on the 2.4 or 5ghz networks together specifically and it doesn't help. It's just flaky as hell.

It's not just that though. It's also the shift to the app names that they intend to be ubiquitous but end up being words too generic to be functional.
"music" "messages" "tv" "news" gently caress you news app. It's too hard to get functional help or look to see if someone else has had the same issues without getting 1,000x the useless responses that have poo poo to do with what you're looking for. At least when it was "iTunes" you could track it down better.

I also hate that Siri sounds "more human" now. I want robo-Siri back.
Also, Parallels released an update to 16 and the App Store doesn't have the update available. Who owns fault at that? Probably both for not submitting it early enough and dragging rear end to get it approved and uploaded in the store.
Although by applying logic the cost of Mac hardware should be coming down if they are producing in-house, say an Apple Silicon mini that is not THAT different from an iPad pro hardware less the big rear end screen / touch interface which is the most expensive part of the whole thing - you know that's not going to happen.

TL;DR - I'm cranky and my whole Apple ecosystem is acting like a bitch today which has really been building for years and now I need to go buy a god damned mesh wifi setup. Done venting for now.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

otter posted:

Although by applying logic the cost of Mac hardware should be coming down if they are producing in-house, say an Apple Silicon mini that is not THAT different from an iPad pro hardware less the big rear end screen / touch interface which is the most expensive part of the whole thing - you know that's not going to happen.

You're right and I feel like all the people talking about this are just knowingly setting themselves up to get mad later on.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: Apple issues Supplemental Update for macOS 10.15.6 :siren:

Apple posted:

‌macOS Catalina‌ 10.15.6 supplemental update includes bug fixes for your Mac.

- Fixes a stability issue that could occur when running virtualization apps
- Resolves an issue where an ‌iMac‌ (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020) may appear washed out after waking from sleep

This memory leak may also be responsible for a lot of kernel panics that have been seen for some people since upgrading to 10.15.6, continuing Catalina's reputation as one of the most bug-ridden updates pinched out by Apple in a long while.

Hopefully there's video and Thunderbolt issues that get addressed as well.

If you have Catalina, it should be available in the Software Update control panel.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Neat, ill give it a shot, I hard locked the other day when booting up a VirtualBox instance of windows for ansible testing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Do you guys think Mac Minis are worth it? I rarely use computers these days but I still want a Mac for various smaller tasks plus to play the occasional old game/OpenEmu. I have an iMac but I want to cut down on space in my room and use my tv as a monitor.

Thinking if I should grab one of the final Intel ones or wait for Arm.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SeANMcBAY posted:

Do you guys think Mac Minis are worth it? I rarely use computers these days but I still want a Mac for various smaller tasks plus to play the occasional old game/OpenEmu. I have an iMac but I want to cut down on space in my room and use my tv as a monitor.

Thinking if I should grab one of the final Intel ones or wait for Arm.

I replaced my 2012 Mac Mini, which I loved, with a 2018/20 Mac Mini, which I also love. I just think they're great machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Yeah I replaced my iMac with a Mac mini so I could have a KVM setup with my work laptop. No regrets.