Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I was told many years ago that they don’t insure bieks so I went to State Farm :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
USAA doesn't insure bieks and hasn't for years - they will transfer your call directly to Progressive.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

ought ten posted:

The death scooter company “voluntarily” closed up shop in NYC. They say they’re reassessing safety protocols lol
Yup after another death.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-scooter-sharing-service-revel-shuts-down-after-2nd-rider-death-in-10-days/2537917/

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck. Required by company rules to wear a helmet eh? How were they, uh, enforcing that?

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Jack B Nimble posted:

What the fuuuuuuuuuuck. Required by company rules to wear a helmet eh? How were they, uh, enforcing that?

They weren't - the rental contract likely had language absolving them of any responsibility if you didn't wear appropriate safety equipment.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Jazzzzz posted:

They weren't - the rental contract likely had language absolving them of any responsibility if you didn't wear appropriate safety equipment.

Very :911: except for the part where they quit

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Looking forward to buying a cheap liquidated electric scooter with 20 miles on it

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

We have scooters like that in SF. When you sign up you have to affirm you can ride a bicycle, and then you watch a 5 minute video about where the horn and signals are located and you’re all set!

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
I live in queens where revels are plentiful. As a general rule, riders don’t wear helmets, run stoplights and ride on the sidewalks all in the same way folks do on bicycles. I am not at all surprised folks are dying on them. Just surprised it took this long.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

My bicyclists friends in NY hate Revels because they ride in the bike lanes but suck at doing that too

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Toe Rag posted:

We have scooters like that in SF. When you sign up you have to affirm you can ride a bicycle, and then you watch a 5 minute video about where the horn and signals are located and you’re all set!

I did this in Hawaii, it was super fun.

Progressive has pretty great rates, and when my Husky got stolen they were pretty easy to deal with.

I remember when I called to insure my first motorcycle, and I was like "$140 a month? I can't afford this poo poo!"

Then I realized that was for a year.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

yeah turns out liability insurance on a vehicle that will only kill you if you crash it is pretty minimal

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Elviscat posted:

I did this in Hawaii, it was super fun.

I'm sure I've posted this many times before in CA, but I rented a scooter in Hawaii when I had my motorcycle license but didn't own a bike and had never ridden one on the street. I ended up renting a Yamaha Majesty (400cc, 90mph top speed, and of course no safety gear) instead of a bike, and that was definitely the cooler option in Honolulu. It turns out all the locals ride scooters, the tourists rent Harleys, and I got the hook up everywhere I went for having the fastest scooter around. The hotel staff hooked me up on an awesome parking spot, but my favorite part was having the bro-iest of bro trucks pull up to me at a light (full of what I have to assume were locals) and motion for my attention. I thought I was going to get hate crimed for riding a scooter, but they wanted all the details on it and were super into it and friendly. It makes me think I should go the scooter route whenever I go back even though now I'd be much more comfortable on a bike, especially at higher speeds (I find the scooter foot position not confidence inspiring).

Sagebrush posted:

yeah turns out liability insurance on a vehicle that will only kill you if you crash it is pretty minimal

Adding my new project bike with just the liability minimums would have actually lowered my monthly payment from Allstate, I guess because of a multiple vehicle discount? It's weird because I already have two autos and a bike with them, but I think they farm out the bike insurance somehow so that became a multiple vehicle situation. I ended up getting comprehensive for an extra $10/month.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

MomJeans420 posted:

My bicyclists friends in NY hate Revels because they ride in the bike lanes but suck at doing that too

Yeah, I ride a bicycle over the 59th street bridge and there’s a separate bike/pedestrian walkway that they rode on all the time. Just ridiculously unsafe given how little room there is on it and the skill of the riders. They also just shut down operations to look into safety stuff so...

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm just thinking of the horror of pulling a communal helmet from under the seat of a rented scooter and actually putting it on my head. Let alone trusting it isn't compromised all to hell.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Sagebrush posted:

Very true, but when I went to get full coverage on my brand new bike I was reminded how one lay down totaling a vehicle affects those rates! I pay more to insure my MT09 than I do for my Mazda3

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh. I just had a really nice ride through the city ruined by some doofus cyclist. I had just started to turn right at a major intersection, pretty far right in the lane and angled for the turn, and he zoomed around my right side. We had words, and a few blocks later he (took off his covid mask and) spat at me. It took all my strength not to get off and beat him into a pulp right there in front of a street patio. I'm trying to remain an advocate for cyclists, but guys like that make me so goddamn mad.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Some people just got that rabbit sense where they see a closing gap and reflexively dive into it. It's something I really had to work hard to beat out of myself when I used to cycle a lot.

Dude's an idiot and an rear end in a top hat both, hopefully he wasn't carrying anything.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

As someone who cycles more than riding motorbikes these days.... gently caress. THAT. GUY. I might be in the minority as a cyclist but I try act like I'm a guest on MUP's and not run over pedestrians and on the street I give vehicles the priority as I know I'm slow. Hearing a story like that makes me pissed on your behalf, especially since gently caress face spat at you during a pandemic.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hit a patch of dust in a corner on my way to work this morning (I'm guessing it was dust, since all it registered as, was a lighter patch on the pavement as I went over it) and felt the front kick out to the left. I got real wobbly for a second and I felt my right foot drop to "save it". No foot contact, and the bike stayed up, but between this and the ladder incident I'm having a real sloppy year and I'm kinda mad at myself about it. Gotta start getting more sleep, and maybe reread Proficient Motorcycling and do some practicing. Really, really wish we had a track yet that I didn't have to drive four hours to get to.

e: took that corner really gingerly this morning, too

Phy fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jul 31, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Drain. Your loving. Float bowls.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

we have :nms: and spoiler tags for a reason

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
were they trying to power the bike on flour and diesel? my god, i thought the sitting-for-two-years CRF100's carb i pulled apart last month was bad but that takes the cake

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ethanol laced petrol + rusty waterlogged metal underseat tank + about two years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

you're not supposed to keep your sourdough starter in the carb.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Slavvy posted:

When I opened up the carbs on my CL350 that hadn't run in thirty years they didn't look 1/10 as bad as that. Full of black tar, but none of the brown and white poo poo.

Ethanol gas is a hell of a thing apparently

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Those look like something was breeding in there. God drat.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ah that's where I left my nachos.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
When I did the Rex's carbs there was a little gunk in the bowls but nothing like that, jesus christ

my days of filling up with shell premium cause it's non-ethanol are certainly coming to a middle

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Oof. I had the rare 'situation you should accelerate out of' tonight. Turning left onto a multi-lane road, the two cars ahead of me both went wide and into the middle lane. Cool, I thought, I can turn into the correct lane and pass both of them reasonably. But the second car had a different idea. He must have thought the guy ahead of him wasn't getting up to speed quickly enough so he went to pass. On the left and without a signal. Without even looking to see me right next to his driver's side door. I laid on the horn and he kept coming over so I gunned it and it sure felt like a close call.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Bike has made a distressingly loud detonatey metallic "ping" kind of noise twice in the last two days and I have no clue what it could be. Only common thread is I was doing 40 in 3rd both times.

I'm really hoping it's just petrol building up in the can and exploding, as opposed to anything structural, because I have absolutely no clue how I'd start diagnosing this. Putting this here because I'm not looking for answers, just screaming into the void.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
It's hosed, mate. I trust you preordered a T7 replacement already?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coydog posted:

It's hosed, mate.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Probably the thing to do is drain the oil and see if there's some whole rear end gear teeth floating around in there, it's overdue anyway.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Renaissance Robot posted:

Probably the thing to do is drain the oil and see if there's some whole rear end gear teeth floating around in there, it's overdue anyway.

Have you been driving your air cooled Triumph in this hot as balls weather??

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Shelvocke posted:

Have you been driving your air cooled Triumph in this hot as balls weather??

If this isn't intentional it's even funnier.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I'd rather not but how the gently caress else am I supposed to get to work

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
For some reason even water cooled Triumphs run really hot and struggle in traffic on hot days, that goes doubly for the classic air cooled styles. If you've had much time idling at reds in our 30+c weather over the last week you're probably getting really really toasty and are experiencing pre-ignition and detonation. This is really bad for your engine and should be avoided as much as possible

E. I didn't mean to sound like an rear end I was just really hoping your engine wasn't cooking itself

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You sound like an rear end for insisting his perfectly good Japanese bike is a broken-rear end triumph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver