Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

He looks like Michael Kostroff, who played sleazy lawyer Maury Levy on The Wire and the scientist who experimented on Luke Cage when he was a prisoner.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0467512/
https://www.google.com/search?q=mic...iw=1536&bih=722

That's exactly it. Thank you! You scratched a mighty itch today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Pastry of the Year posted:

That's exactly it. Thank you! You scratched a mighty itch today.

You're welcome. Identifying "Hey, it's that guy!" character actors is one of my specialties as a reference librarian. I wish it was more useful, but a few times a year I get to solve that mystery for people.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I don't see it.

I can see it.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Someone gave me a later volume of Blacksad (A Silent Hell). Should I read them all in order or can I jump right into this one?

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
This feels like a dumb question, but I read all the Dark Nights: Metal stuff, and then saw “oh cool, Dark Nights: Death Metal will continue the story.” But everything is turbofucked in issue one. And who the hell is perpetua? A god from beyond the source wall I gathered. Can I get either a few sentences to explain from end of A to start of B? Or tell me what I should read? Obviously Doctor Manhattans Blue Penis is involved but Doomsday Clock precedes DN:M???

Help?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Short version is that [either by accident or design] nothing makes particular linear sense in the lead-in to Dark Knights: Death Metal.

The DC: Rebirth one-shot establishes that Doctor Manhattan is in the DC Universe and hints at retconning various parts of the New 52 DC soft-reboot as down to Doctor Manhattan doing weird cosmic stuff to the universe. This storyline is largely walled off to allow Geoff Johns to tell it... eventually.

Dark Nights: Metal by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo establishes the concept of "The Dark Multiverse", where there are negatively numbered Earths that are the dark reflection of the "Good" Earths in the regular multiverse, which is a weird concept to begin with because a large number of "Good" Multiverse Earths are scenarios in which All of Humanity is Wiped Out or The Nazis Won or Vampires Have Taken Over the Planet or Darkseid Has Taken Over the Universe or etc.

The common theme of all of the Dark Multiverses is that Batman has also become another character (Doomsday Batman, Flash Batman, Cyborg Batman, Wonder Woman Batman, Green Lantern Batman, Joker Batman) and all of these Batmans are evil and work for the evil Bat God Barbatos and also there are a lot of magic metals that make things more powerful or dark or good or evil.

At the end of Dark Knights: Metal all of the good guys team up and use Metal and stuff to stop Barbatos the Bat God from making everything dark but it also blows up the Source Wall which is bad for universe reasons, or something.

This leads into a mini-event called Justice League: No Justice where they have to fight other abstract concepts to fix the Source Wall. But they don't fix the Source Wall. This leads into Scott Snyder's Justice League run, which involves Lex Luthor finding out about Perpetua and secret evil version of cosmic powers (The Speed Force is counteracted by THE STILL FORCE, Green Lanterns are counter-acted by ULTRAVIOLET LANTERNS, etc.)

This is basically the most direct lead-in to Dark Knights: Death Metal, but it ends with the good guys losing the Ultimate Battle Between Justice and Doom, and getting vanquished by Perpetua and her first lieutenant Apex Lex, The Lex Luthor That is Also Half Martian. The Justice League are beaten and exiled to the Moon, where they jump into a portal "to be continued in Death Metal".

Except before that happens there's another mini-series (Hell Arisen) where Apex Lex gets into a fight with the Batman Who Laughs (who appeared in a number of storylines in the meantime that are only loosely connected to/recapitulate the arc he has in Hell Arisen) and basically Lex beats The Batman Who Laughs and takes him to Perpetua who goes "actually I want BWL as my servant, not you Lex BYE!"

So that mini-series is why Batman Who Laughs and His Gang of Batmans is running things in Death Metal by Scott Snyder even though it was Lex in 50 issues of Justice League by Scott Snyder.

All of the Doctor Manhattan Stuff came from Doomsday Clock, except not even really from Doomsday Clock. Instead there was a five issue mini-series called Flash Forward by Scott Lobdell that ends with Wally West sitting on Metron's Mobius Chair but that chair got Doctor Manhattan powers off-panel in a pre-Rebirth Geoff Johns comic, so now Wally has Doctor Manhattan powers but lost some of them off-panel.

It's clear that a lot of stuff you're supposed to assume happened off panel, but also it's possible they're reference other comics that contradict the other ones they've already referenced. But none of that should matter, because there's like 5,000 different Batmans and one is a Car Batman and another one is a Dinosaur Batman and it's a shitload of Batman and Big Crazy Ideas just take my money already!

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Unmature posted:

Someone gave me a later volume of Blacksad (A Silent Hell). Should I read them all in order or can I jump right into this one?

you should be fine

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Cubone posted:

you should be fine

Thanks. I’ll try to dig into it this week.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Edge & Christian posted:

Short version is that [either by accident or design] nothing makes particular linear sense in the lead-in to Dark Knights: Death Metal.

This sounds incredibly stupid and also fun as hell.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Unmature posted:

They sometimes reference a character from a previous arc (this is so and so and they helped me on a case before kind of thing) but each story is self contained. And excellent.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
A friend asked and I realized I don't know. Where is Tim Drake in Rebirth? I know New 52 kinda was like "Everything that happened in Batman still did, just in 5 years" but I don't know if Rebirth kept that momentum up. Is he with the Titans?

I am assuming Damian is Robin.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SonicRulez posted:

A friend asked and I realized I don't know. Where is Tim Drake in Rebirth? I know New 52 kinda was like "Everything that happened in Batman still did, just in 5 years" but I don't know if Rebirth kept that momentum up. Is he with the Titans?

He is in young justice.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

He is in young justice.

is he still wearing a brown costume and calling himself Duckman or whatever

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately yes

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Alaois posted:

is he still wearing a brown costume and calling himself Duckman or whatever

I'm sorry, what?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

SonicRulez posted:

I'm sorry, what?

It's actually even worse. Tim's current "secret identity" is Drake.

Ya know, like his actual last name.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
I still kind of admire the audacity of it, I had a friend in college who during a protest just spraypainted his (uncommon) first name in giant block letters onto the wall of a campus building, and when people questioned the wisdom of it replied, "how stupid would I have to be to graffiti my own name so clearly? It's obvious that someone else would do it to frame me."

The campus police reluctantly agreed with this sound logic. I like to imagine Tim Drake will use the same defense.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

He was a major part of Tynion's 'Tec run too.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Edge & Christian posted:

I still kind of admire the audacity of it, I had a friend in college who during a protest just spraypainted his (uncommon) first name in giant block letters onto the wall of a campus building, and when people questioned the wisdom of it replied, "how stupid would I have to be to graffiti my own name so clearly? It's obvious that someone else would do it to frame me."

The campus police reluctantly agreed with this sound logic. I like to imagine Tim Drake will use the same defense.

Is your friend Bart Simpson?

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Edge & Christian posted:

That is an amazing story.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I'm finishing my re-read of Vaughan's run of Runaways. Are the post Vaughan Runaway comics worth checking out?

Thaddius the Large
Jul 5, 2006

It's in the five-hole!

Lobok posted:

Is your friend Bart Simpson?

No, my friends name is also Bort

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Madkal posted:

I'm finishing my re-read of Vaughan's run of Runaways. Are the post Vaughan Runaway comics worth checking out?

Whendon's run is okay, there's a new character introduced that sticks around, take it or leave it.
I forgot Terry Moore had an arc in like 2008. Probably skip it? I honestly can't remember anything about it.
I liked what Kathryn Immonen was doing, but I think the series got canceled out from under her. It didn't wrap up too well.

I've been really enjoying current ongoing. I say that's definitely worth a read.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Madkal posted:

Rainbow Rowell's current run is great. Unfortunately, there are about 75 issues between her and Vaughan, including a short run by Joss Whedon, a short run by Terry Moore, a single arc by Kathryn Immonen, Avengers Arena, Avengers Undercover, Avengers AI, a handful of event-based minis and a handful of appearances in other books, the majority of which are middling to forgettable.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Madkal posted:

Just skip straight to the Rainbow Rowell series that's still ongoing.

Joss Whedon's run is much worse than "just okay," most of the stuff after it is completely forgettable.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'd also read the mini that took place during the incursion event, it doesn't have any affect on continuity, but it's really fun. Otherwise, yeah, slip straight to Rowell's run

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Civil War: Runaways/Young Avengers is worth a read. It was the first real outing for both teams without their original writers. Same with Noh Varr who is the main antagonist.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Here's what I think you need to know if you jump from Vaughn's to Rowells excellent current series (not necessary, 'cause things get explained when needed, but if you're curious):

- Some of the runaways are 18 or 19 (not because of any comic-type stuff. Time just passed by).
-Gert and Chase end up as girlfriend and boyfriend, it was quite sweet. Sadly, she died saving the team, and passed her control/connection of Old Lace to Chase.

-Victor is a latino kid with electricity/magnetism sorta powers who they thought was Magneto's kid, turns out he's actually Ultron's kid (he's an android built by him). Who was prophesied to become "Victorious" a villain who would one day kill all superheroes and rule the world. He joins the team. Later, he was part of the Avengers A.I. team formed by Hank Pym, where he befriended another team member, a Doombot who knows it's a doombot, yet who still believes he's doom. He was one of the better characters of that series. Then, he was in Tom King's Vision, where Captain America asked him to spy on Vision and his new family, he accidentally killed his nephew/Vision's son after doing some robo-drugs. Vision, understandably, "killed" him (straight up destroyed his body).

- Karolina realizes she's gay, came out to her friends and after some stuff, was in a relationship to Xavin, a skrull. They (Xavin) end up in space and Karolina remains on earth. Time passes and she and Julie Power (of the Power Pack) started dating.

- Molly once beat up both The Punisher and Wolverine (not at the same time, but she deffo could if she wanted to).

-The team traveled to the past (early 1900's New York) and find Klara, a girl who has the power to control and create plants (think poison ivy, but more vines and flowers than carnivore plants). Since she's an orphan with no family she joins the team and travels back to the present with them. THAT IS ALL YOU NEED TO KNOW DO NOT GO LOOKING FOR HER BIO.

Powers-wise, everyone is the same, though Chase has realized that he's like, stupid good at building things. Don't remember if this was in the first series, but Karolina wears a bracelet so she's not rainbow/shiny all the time.

That's pretty much it. Going into the current series you should also know that the artist, Kris Anka, is one of the best costume/clothes designers in comics right now, so everyone is gonna have immaculate fits.

You really don't need to read Avengers Arena, it was poo poo, pretty much every writer has either ignored it or just added a little "oh yeah, CHARACTER NAME was in Avengers Arena" in pretty much every comic since then.

Avengers Academy has a small arc with the Runaways, but is not really necessary to understand anything. Still, it's a pretty good series, so if you like teenage hero adventures, give it a shot.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Has there been a scene when Spider-Man has let a bad guy smack him in the face and given no reaction to show the guy can't hurt him?

Unmature
May 9, 2008

bessantj posted:

Has there been a scene when Spider-Man has let a bad guy smack him in the face and given no reaction to show the guy can't hurt him?

There was a scene in Slott’s run where he walked into a door not even that hard and his nose bled profusely. I always thought that was weird since he gets punched in the face with like metal octopus arms and poo poo all the time.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

bessantj posted:

Yeah! Here it is:

From Greg Rucka's 2012 Punisher: War-Zone #1

I believe there's a similar scene with the Kingpin from around 10-15 years ago?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

In an issue of ASM during the early McFarlane years he interrupts some douchebag who's hitting on MJ and the guy lets loose on Peter with karate and Peter just stands there ignoring him and has a conversation with MJ.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Thanks for the replies. As I've been going through the earlier Spider-Man comics he often comes across as seemingly weaker than he should be, I'm surprised they haven't done stuff like that more often.

Unmature posted:

There was a scene in Slott’s run where he walked into a door not even that hard and his nose bled profusely. I always thought that was weird since he gets punched in the face with like metal octopus arms and poo poo all the time.

Ha ha that is a bit silly.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

bessantj posted:

Thanks for the replies. As I've been going through the earlier Spider-Man comics he often comes across as seemingly weaker than he should be, I'm surprised they haven't done stuff like that more often.

Ha ha that is a bit silly.

A lot of things about Spider-Man are constantly in flux. He's supposed to be almost as strong as the Thing, yet struggles in fights with a lot of people who are just normal humans that work out a bunch. Sometimes his Spiders-sense is basically omniscient and other times he walks into a door.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
As someone who’s gotten profuse nosebleeds since I was a kid for no reason (read: a fuckin nerd) I figure maybe it’s just part of the ol’ Parker luck (and being a fuckin nerd)

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

There's a scene burned into my brain from an Adam-Troy Castro piece in one of the prose short story anthologies where Peter is in a mental ward and out of his mind from Kraven's poison and these beefy orderlies are trying to subdue him, full-on laying into him with their best gut punches, to no effect. Not quite the same as he's not no-selling the punches, he just isn't noticing them.

bessantj posted:

He doesn't really come across in the comics for a long time as someone with an always-on level of immense strength but it is there to keep him alive or to be called upon if he taps into it (or lashes out). He can get walloped by the silliest things but if he really turns it on, watch out. As someone who got into the character alongside Marvel trading cards it took me years as I began to read older stories to not think of characters as not having static and constant "power levels."

Lobok fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 13, 2020

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

If Spider-man punched Captain America as hard as he can square in the face, Cap should die immediately. Probably even movie/Ultimate Cap where he has legit super-strength and isn't just "peak human".

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

If Spider-man punched Captain America as hard as he can square in the face, Cap should die immediately. Probably even movie/Ultimate Cap where he has legit super-strength and isn't just "peak human".

What if he punched the shield?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Doesn't Ock punch a guy's jaw clean off in Superior Spider-Man?

Admittedly, that's mostly because Slott doesn't understand physics or punching, but still.

bessantj posted:

He'd have to yield, the rules really don't allow for much leeway here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

bessantj posted:

Y'know that bit in Superman vs. Spider-Man where the ray that lets Spidey trade punches with Supes wears off?