Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Arcturas posted:

That sounds exactly like a question for the lawyer that helped you with the divorce & parental plan. They're going to know Oregon's rules about this stuff and have a better sense of how this specific judge will react. (Also if mom was represented, they may have a sense of how to lean on opposing counsel.)

My (completely uninformed) guess is that you are looking for a motion to modify the parental plan and custody arrangement to limit her legal custody and require her to keep the kiddo in school. I would anticipate this being an expensive and time-consuming fight, though you might get something temporary in place keeping the kid in school for the fall. On the other hand, everything is hosed so maybe not!

oh gently caress yeah, I love another needless and expensive fight, that sounds wonderful! My ex went unrepresented during trial as her lawyer dropped her a month before it because she wasn't following her advice, so that should give you a good sense of what I'm dealing with. Seeing as the judge tore her up during her decision, I likely could've got sole legal custody if I didn't voluntarily give it up. Live and learn..

I'm trying to compromise with her now by saying I can adopt some homeschooling stuff she comes up with, but no guarantees, and only if she keeps the kids enrolled. Depending on her response I'll hit up my lawyer to get his take on the situation. Thanks!

e: cool I may have convinced her to go with the online academy our district is offering. It's not ideal but supplementing homschooling stuff off to the side can be done and doesn't require unenrolling kids from school.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Aug 5, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

If you have a family law attorney then definitely go talk to them about the situation.

If you don't, maybe consult with one local to the area your case is in in the likely inevitable event that your agreement falls apart.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

euphronius posted:

poo poo I think I forgot to do my state return

Same, but also my federal. Guess I know what I'm doing when I get home from work.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Louisgod posted:

Depending on her response I'll hit up my lawyer to get his take on the situation. Thanks!

e: cool I may have convinced her to go with the online academy our district is offering. It's not ideal but supplementing homschooling stuff off to the side can be done and doesn't require unenrolling kids from school.
Still talk to your attorney. You need a proactive game plan for dealing with this if she brings it up again. Even if you don't wind up in front of a judge, your lawyer can give you advice on how to best proceed. (IANAL)

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Just a practical thing to keep in the back of your head: a lot of home schooling folks are also anti-vaccination, which has specific implications for when one would be available for your kid. Make sure you're both going to be in agreement on this.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Volmarias posted:

Just a practical thing to keep in the back of your head: a lot of home schooling folks are also anti-vaccination, which has specific implications for when one would be available for your kid. Make sure you're both going to be in agreement on this.

It's true, and thankfully she's not anti-vax though she unfortunately ticks off many other boxes (anti-gluten, anti-dairy, anti-soy, anti-dye). Even then, I personally wouldn't rush out to get the first covid vaccine on the market considering Trump's dipshit admin and the FDA.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Phil Moscowitz posted:

There’s a rich guy I know, probably worth about $500 million. Intentionally splits time between homes he owns in California, Louisiana, Wyoming, Florida and South Carolina do he legally doesn’t pay income tax in any state. (He could live in Florida or Wyoming full time but wants his fancy places in Louisiana, SC, and California.)

Rich people don’t live by the same rules as the rest of us.

Read about how when George Washington was president, he would live half the year down in Virginia and half the year up in Philadelphia (the capital at the time) in order to prevent his slaves from being freed by Pennsylvania.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Louisgod posted:

It's true, and thankfully she's not anti-vax though she unfortunately ticks off many other boxes (anti-gluten, anti-dairy, anti-soy, anti-dye).

Congrats on the divorce

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Louisgod posted:

It's true, and thankfully she's not anti-vax though she unfortunately ticks off many other boxes (anti-gluten, anti-dairy, anti-soy, anti-dye). Even then, I personally wouldn't rush out to get the first covid vaccine on the market considering Trump's dipshit admin and the FDA.

Sounds like she might be crabwalking her way down Contrail Parkway to Anti-vax Ave.

But agreed on any 'tremendous medical breakthrough' with the current fuckwits fingerprints on it.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

blarzgh posted:

Congrats on the divorce

been almost two years since, and as the kids these day say, it "owns".

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

So last Christmas I won a couple months of one of those “we send 3 meals a week” services in a raffle at a company Christmas party. The thing is I haven’t worked for the company for a few months now, and I’m still receiving the weekly shipments of food even though it’s way past the amount of time that I had won in the raffle.

Anyone who would even remember me winning this has to my knowledge left the company or been laid off. The amount that they’re paying in monthly subscription fees is likely a tiny blip on their finances which is why I guess no one has noticed. I kind of want to just let it rock and let them keep paying for free dinners for me but is there anyway I can get in trouble for this legally if they ever realize what’s going on?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ghosthotel posted:

So last Christmas I won a couple months of one of those “we send 3 meals a week” services in a raffle at a company Christmas party. The thing is I haven’t worked for the company for a few months now, and I’m still receiving the weekly shipments of food even though it’s way past the amount of time that I had won in the raffle.

Anyone who would even remember me winning this has to my knowledge left the company or been laid off. The amount that they’re paying in monthly subscription fees is likely a tiny blip on their finances which is why I guess no one has noticed. I kind of want to just let it rock and let them keep paying for free dinners for me but is there anyway I can get in trouble for this legally if they ever realize what’s going on?

The FDA could come after you for being unjustly enriched with seven vitamins and iron.

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

I hope vitamin jail is cool at least

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Ghosthotel posted:

I hope vitamin jail is cool at least

On the first day you have to beat up the biggest, baddest dude you can find or else you're gonna be force-fed vitamin C for your entire stay.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

therobit posted:

On the first day you have to beat up the biggest, baddest dude you can find or else you're gonna be force-fed vitamin D for your entire stay.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/WakeUp2Politics/status/1293161540435300352

Need to know this thread's take on this argument. I understand why it's being written off as ridiculous given the broader context around West's mental health and the GOP's involvement in propping up his campaign, but putting that aside it actually seems like a reasonable argument to me? Here's the snippet from legal filing:

quote:

14. Wisconsin law states that “[n]omination papers for independent candidates for president and vice president, and the presidential electors designated to represent them . . . may be filed not later than 5 p.m. on the first Tuesday in August preceding a presidential election.” Wis. Stat. § 8.20(8)(am). The Commission alleged that the nomination paperwork was filed at 5:00:14 p.m. See Aff. of Ruhland. Even if this is true, the nomination papers were filed “not
later” than 5 p.m.

15. The statutory provision does not distinguish between minutes and seconds. For the average observer, arriving before 5:01 p.m. is arriving “not later” than 5 p.m. The phrase “not later” is particularly instructive in that it indicates the presumption that the seconds from 5:00:00 to 5:00:59 are inclusive to 5 p.m. As the statute states “5 p.m.”, for something to be filed later than “5 p.m.” it would have to be filed at 5:01 p.m.

16. The legislature could have made a law that stated that the nomination paperwork should be filed not later than 5:00:00 p.m. Or, similarly, the legislature could have stated that the paperwork must be filed “by” 5 p.m. The legislature took neither of these paths and instead the legislature codified the common conception of time which is that if a filing is made by before the expiration of 5:00 pm, it is filed at 5 p.m.

5:00:14pm is obviously later than 5:00:00pm, but is it later than "5 pm"??? Personally if someone tells me they need something no later than 5pm and I submit it before it's 5:01pm, then I'd feel like I submitted it in time. If I was trying to run for president I probably wouldn't push my luck to begin with, but that's beside the point

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’m with Kanye on this one

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Nah, 'not later than 5:00pm' is functionally the same as 'not greater than 5.0', and i'd say 5.01 is more than 5.0.

Or, not later than 5pm implies not later than 5:00:00, the number of decimal places doesn't need to be stated.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What is year 0 AD.

Are you 1 as soon as you leave the womb?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

5:00:14pm is obviously later than 5:00:00pm, but is it later than "5 pm"??? Personally if someone tells me they need something no later than 5pm and I submit it before it's 5:01pm, then I'd feel like I submitted it in time. If I was trying to run for president I probably wouldn't push my luck to begin with, but that's beside the point
By your argument, wouldn't that give him until 5:59:59pm? Since it's "not later than 5pm," even though it would be later than 5:00pm?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Thanatosian posted:

By your argument, wouldn't that give him until 5:59:59pm? Since it's "not later than 5pm," even though it would be later than 5:00pm?

This.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Thanatosian posted:

Haha I thought about making this argument but knew it was too ridiculous. Seriously though I do feel like in informal, day-to-day usage, people measure time in hours & minutes, so I do think an average/reasonable person would in most circumstances agree that "not later than 5pm" is functionally "before 5:01pm"

That said i'm not like All In on this argument, I just thought it maybe wasn't as absurd as it's being cast on twitter, and was curious if there's any actual legal precedent on an issue like this

edit: also fwiw i think the whole kanye campaign and ties to the GOP is ridiculous & a little sad, in no way am I like rooting for him to get on the ballot

euphronius posted:

I’m with Kanye on this one

yessssssss

Sharks Eat Bear fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Aug 12, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

0 AD never existed

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

5 pm ends at 5:00:59 before 5:01:00.

It’s not even close

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Counting things is very hard

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

euphronius posted:

It’s not even close

when does it begin?

GlobglogGroAbgalab
Jul 25, 2016

It appears that the elephant is highly sensitive to the effects of LSD - a finding which may prove to be valuable in elephant-control work in Africa.

euphronius posted:

It’s not even close

5 pm is a period that is 60 seconds in duration, beginning at go figure 5 pm. It’s very simple and Kanye is right despite his dragging feet and mental illness

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nah. That's wrong. Not later than 5 means it has to be in before 5.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. That's wrong. Not later than 5 means it has to be in before 5.

No

You can’t just say two different things mean the same thing

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

euphronius posted:

No

You can’t just say two different things mean the same thing

Not later than means cannot be after X time i.e. it must be in before X. Something due not later than 5 must be turned in before the clock ticks over to 5.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

Not later than means cannot be after X time i.e. it must be in before X. Something due not later than 5 must be turned in before the clock ticks over to 5.

that means that if someone turns it in at exactly 5:00:00:00... pm, you're suggesting that it wouldn't meet the definition of "not later than 5pm"?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I’ll bite.

Sure, because 5PM means 5:00:00.0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 and so on. It’s a moment which does not exist for any duration. Perhaps as long as the Planck time, at most. So something can not happen DURING that moment, it must happen either before or after.

Unless you or the observer a traveling at relativistic speeds, then I suppose it could happen both before and after depending on who you ask.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

5 pm exists for exactly 60 seconds it isn’t a physics mystery or anything.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

How much time elapses between 5 pm and 5:01 pm

In seconds

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

60 seconds. The first of which is at 5:00:01, which is 1 second after 5PM...

Maybe the problem is that, being a traffic lawyer, you can’t afford a clock that is more precise than minutes??

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

5:00:00 is the first second

Not 5:00:01.

Typical time amateur mistake

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

How much time elapses between 5 pm and 5:01 pm

In seconds

How much time exists between 5pm and 5:00:00.000000000001pm?

.000000000001 seconds.

Incidentally, both of those latter times are later than 5pm.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Thanatosian posted:

.000000000001 seconds.

This guy fucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Thanatosian posted:

.000000000001 seconds.

Your response is internally incoherent