Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Cannon_Fodder posted:

I know the look I want and little else.

I'm very new to modifying and swapping out parts, so advice is very welcome.

Bar-end shifters work exactly the same way as downtube shifters, but come with a little wedge so you can mount them into the end of your drops.

Friction shifting means friction holds the shifter in position. So it's completely analog positioning of the rear dearailleur -- if the chain is slightly off, then you nudge the shifter a tiny bit to get it perfectly in line. It's pretty easy when you have fewer gears, but requires more precision (and time to finesse that alignment) past 9 speeds.
The upshot is that the shifter can shift any rear derailleur, as long as it pulls enough cable to swing through the full travel of the RD.

Indexed shifting is where each gear position has a physical detent, with these indexes spaced out so that you pull/release cable to move the RD in exactly one gear increments. It takes some tuning at the RD during initial setup, but takes less effort/technique to shift.

You have to work backwards from the number of gears you want. If you want indexed shifters, prices are slightly cheaper for more gears. Like $50 for 11spd vs $80 for 8 speed. For friction shifters, you'd want to make sure if the the RD's cable pull requirements can be satisfied by your shifter. Shimano RDs need anywhere from 20-27mm of cable.

Once you've made some RD choices, you can ask in the repair thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dema
Aug 13, 2006

jamal posted:

Finally have this thing about the way I want it. new drivetrain parts and bb and pedals, wooshy wheels, a new saddle that seems pretty good (pro stealth), and no loving clicks when I pedal it.

I really liked my Hed Jet 4 Plus wheels.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
These are the 6, and I definitely get pushed around a bit in the wind, especially when I'm going faster. Descents on a breezy day get a little exciting. I put little squares of tape over all the holes in the fairing on the front wheel and it actually made a big improvement

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

jamal posted:

I put little squares of tape over all the holes in the fairing on the front wheel and it actually made a big improvement

To crosswind effects? And also how it sounded?

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

bicievino posted:

Might get more detailed responses in the bike repair and maintenance thread.

Absolutely. I followed suit on regards to extra pedals, but will direct specific questions there.

kimbo305 posted:

Bar-end shifters work exactly the same way as downtube shifters, but come with a little wedge so you can mount them into the end of your drops.

Friction shifting means friction holds the shifter in position. So it's completely analog positioning of the rear dearailleur -- if the chain is slightly off, then you nudge the shifter a tiny bit to get it perfectly in line. It's pretty easy when you have fewer gears, but requires more precision (and time to finesse that alignment) past 9 speeds.
The upshot is that the shifter can shift any rear derailleur, as long as it pulls enough cable to swing through the full travel of the RD.

Indexed shifting is where each gear position has a physical detent, with these indexes spaced out so that you pull/release cable to move the RD in exactly one gear increments. It takes some tuning at the RD during initial setup, but takes less effort/technique to shift.

You have to work backwards from the number of gears you want. If you want indexed shifters, prices are slightly cheaper for more gears. Like $50 for 11spd vs $80 for 8 speed. For friction shifters, you'd want to make sure if the the RD's cable pull requirements can be satisfied by your shifter. Shimano RDs need anywhere from 20-27mm of cable.

Once you've made some RD choices, you can ask in the repair thread.
This is phenomenal, thank you. I spent hours today playing with tools and trying to tune in my wife's bike and my two other ones. She, incidentally, has friction shifters mounted on a flat bar.

I'm much more confident that I can tackle this properly.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

kimbo305 posted:

To crosswind effects? And also how it sounded?

Yeah in crosswinds. One of my first rides on them I got pushed most of the way across a dirt road by a big gust as I passed a gully. And going downhills on a breezy day got pretty scary. Like, 20ish it's fine in pretty steady winds but going faster, like 35-40 down a hill or and it wasn't pleasant. Could be I've just gotten used to it but I think covering all the holes really made a difference. Much more manageable now. Like the other day I was going 40-45 down some passes and there was a bit of wind blowing and you could feel it but I'm getting moved like a few inches to one side or the other. Haven't done the rear yet. Didn't notice much difference in sound, maybe quieter now?

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Fresh pedals :getin:

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:
Realised I haven't posted in this thread yet

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

gently caress me, that is absolutely stunning. :swoon:

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
maybe it's just me but those pedals with the little screw studs on them look hella uncomfortable. what is wrong with just a scalloped edge

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

DELETE CASCADE posted:

maybe it's just me but those pedals with the little screw studs on them look hella uncomfortable. what is wrong with just a scalloped edge

You're wrong, theyre super grippy and you don't notice the screws otherwise.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

^^^

DELETE CASCADE posted:

They actually pretty good even in casual shoes. Honestly you can't feel the studs.

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Yeah even in my flip flops I can't feel the studs

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

Can't feel them, but on my non-mountain bikes I unscrew them about halfway so they chew my shoes up less.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender
I swapped to those studs on my commuter and it's a huge improvement over scalloped edges. But yeah, screw them in a bit. They enjoy the taste of flesh when I wear shorts.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Took an easy 30mi z1/z2 dick ride in Illinois today.

Chill Callahan
Nov 14, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

^^^

They actually pretty good even in casual shoes. Honestly you can't feel the studs.

With vans they’re basically clipless

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
Just drill some holes in your soles so you don't split them when you're pedaling.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
Unless you're talking about shin strikes I don't see why the studs would make it less comfortable. Do you ride barefoot or in vibrams or something?

And yeah from everything I've seen, dedicated flat pedal MTB shoes have advantages over skate shoes, but gripping the pins stronger isn't one of them

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

My two bikes. The custom one copied the front end geometry of the Fuji so interesting to see what lines up (bottle, tip of saddle, stays) and what's different (seat tube, head tube). Also 700x35 vs 650x42.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
put some 2.6's on the Beaux. Really enjoying them so far. New chain on her too, but first ride after all this my bottom bracket starts creaking and needs some love :argh:

BeastPussy
Jul 15, 2003

im so mumped up lmao
bike looks really good there (you've also always taken great pics so that helps but still)

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
more smol dick energy coming at you from Portland

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well

e.pilot posted:

Rocky Butte? Didn’t realize the Bike Friday was in Portland! Do Council Crest next...

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

Unknownmass posted:

Goons in Colorado should really try and make the Mt Evans ride. I have not rode anything else like it.

nice shot. I rode it from golden last weekend and it sort of hosed me up but it was nice being closed to cars

Withnail fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 13, 2020

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Love going out with this heavy bastard.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

frogbs posted:

Rocky Butte? Didn’t realize the Bike Friday was in Portland! Do Council Crest next...

I’ll have to check it out next time

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Withnail posted:

nice shot. I rode it from golden last weekend and it sort of hosed me up but it was nice being closed to cars

From Golden? poo poo I was impressed by the people who did it from Evergreen or Idaho Springs. Thats a hell of a ride.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Yeah, that would wreck me. I have a friend who did Evans from downtown and back. As a full moon night ride. I'll have to see if I can dig up the activity. EDIT: yeah, he started at 5:00 PM and it took him just under 10 hours.

quote:

If anyone’s thinking about doing this, bring warm clothes. Despite starting in 90-degree heat, I was very happy to have full winter gear for the descent, including a down puffy and ski gloves.

Maybe I'll go do it from Echo Lake tomorrow morning.

Edit, just joking, the air is terrible right now. drat forest fire.

dema fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Aug 13, 2020

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Every now and then you’ll see some folks do it from Boulder and it always looks like a really good but big day. I’m dumb enough to consider sometime.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx
I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing it from the Capitol in Denver. But yeah, not any time soon with the smoke. If anyone is trying to decide which of the normal routes to do, from Evergreen is a much better grade with better sight lines for bikes and cars.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Bud Manstrong posted:

I’ve been kicking around the idea of doing it from the Capitol in Denver. But yeah, not any time soon with the smoke. If anyone is trying to decide which of the normal routes to do, from Evergreen is a much better grade with better sight lines for bikes and cars.

Just do it.
I went from the capitol 5280 medallion (Important!) to Evans via Idaho Springs side. Not sure why we didn't do it from Evergreen. But then we cheated and left a car in Idaho Springs so we didn't have to ride back to Denver. Still a 12 hour day, so "cheat".

I'm no where in as good as shape as you and vikingstrike. So get at it. I'm shooting to do Evergreen -> Evans -> Idaho Springs -> Evergreen at the end of Aug/Early Sept. But that's coming up quick.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

e.pilot posted:

Actually, riding this bike is the definition of big dick energy

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!
I don't know what the equivalent of a lifted pickup would be for bikes

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009
S-Works Venge ViAS?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

deong posted:

Just do it.
I went from the capitol 5280 medallion (Important!) to Evans via Idaho Springs side. Not sure why we didn't do it from Evergreen. But then we cheated and left a car in Idaho Springs so we didn't have to ride back to Denver. Still a 12 hour day, so "cheat".

I'm no where in as good as shape as you and vikingstrike. So get at it. I'm shooting to do Evergreen -> Evans -> Idaho Springs -> Evergreen at the end of Aug/Early Sept. But that's coming up quick.

We should ride MTBs sometime. Been awhile.

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

Mauser posted:

I don't know what the equivalent of a lifted pickup would be for bikes

E-Fatbike

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

cebrail posted:

E-Fatbike

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Aug 14, 2020

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
How wide do your shoulders need to be to ride that comfortably?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.
That's the thing that snapped Simon Cowell in half, right?