Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who will you vote for in 2020?
This poll is closed.
Biden 425 18.06%
Trump 105 4.46%
whoever the Green Party runs 307 13.05%
GOOGLE RON PAUL 151 6.42%
Bernie Sanders 346 14.70%
Stalin 246 10.45%
Satan 300 12.75%
Nobody 202 8.58%
Jess Scarane 110 4.67%
mystery man Brian Carroll of the American Solidarity Party 61 2.59%
Dick Nixon 100 4.25%
Total: 2089 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

oh AOC supports concentration camps? that's news to me

she was willing to oppose them. she is unwilling to say that those who endorsed them, such as her superiors in the democratic caucus, are monsters to be opposed rather than people with whom she has strategic disagreements.

this is her call, of course, but if you want to put yourself on the leftmost imaginable fringe in congress today, all you have to say is "I do not support people who vote for concentration camps."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Code Jockey posted:

well consider me owned, I guess. v:shobon:v

Don't worry, I'm sure we're never going to see this exact tweet in the next 50 pages of this thread as evidence.

Euphoriaphone
Aug 10, 2006

Mayo Pete has the prime speaking spot, just before Biden.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

She said it on Facebook live yesterday

What is it that she said?

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I said come in! posted:

Every progressive democrat is being punished basically.

I've said it before: That's the entire loving point.

The Dem's opponent in 2020 was The Left. That's who they put all their energy into defeating. And now that they've won, they're going to run victory laps by making Bernie eat Joe Biden's farts on live TV.

The Squad winning their primaries was a setback, but they'll find some way to relegate them to nonexistence.

The DNC is not going to rest until being called a Leftist is the same kiss of death that being called a Communist was back in the McCarthy days. They're going to be too busy trying to make an example out of anyone who dared to cross them to do anything else.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

the_steve posted:

And now that they've won, they're going to run victory laps by making Bernie eat Joe Biden's farts on live TV.

Bernie doesn't have to do anything. He's doing that out of choice.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Euphoriaphone posted:

Mayo Pete has the prime speaking spot, just before Biden.

Gonna be real weird watching him do an Obama impersonation mimicking his 04' keynote but on Zoom.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Having no floor on how bad your party's candidate can be before you refrain from voting for them is exactly the thing that turned the Republican party into what it is. It's literally how Trump got elected.

Vote Blue No Matter Who is simply an endorsement of the next, worse politician than Trump.

Being willing to vote for rapists, for people responsible for wars and for mass incarceration, simply because they are from your party and might help some of your party's priorities get enacted is how you turn into a Nazi.

You must have a principled stance that says "I won't vote for a person who is X bad, even if the other guy is worse" or else you find yourself holding your nose and voting for Donald Trump. That's not a hypothetical. That's what happened. Yeah, a lot of Republicans actually like Trump, but there were plenty who just followed the Blue Red No Matter Who philosophy and voted for a babbling moron narcissistic wannabe fascist.

"Oh, he's awful," they say. "He's a disaster. I wish it had been anyone but him," they say. "But look at the Supreme Court," they say.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

I was told refusing to vote for Hillary in 2016 was supposed to somehow get us a better progressive option in 2020.

Seems to me like participating in the primary is how that happens, not by reelecting Trump.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

spunkshui posted:

I was told refusing to vote for Hillary in 2016 was supposed to somehow get us a better progressive option in 2020.

Seems to me like participating in the primary is how that happens, not by reelecting Trump.

yeah, it turns out that democrats are so loving stupid that they learn the lesson "swerve right" no matter what the outcome is.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Why would the nebulous "They" commit centrist Voltron if not to defeat a Leftist option that very nearly won. By not voting for Hillary in 2016, you almost got Bernie Sanders, why wouldn't you not abstain in 2020 and ensure a true leftist option?

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

spunkshui posted:

I was told that Joe Biden has the most progressive policy platform of all time, so I guess it worked.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GF4Gnb-D0

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Boba Pearl posted:

Why would the nebulous "They" commit centrist Voltron if not to defeat a Leftist option that very nearly won. By not voting for Hillary in 2016, you almost got Bernie Sanders, why wouldn't you not abstain in 2020 and ensure a true leftist option?

how do you think dhs feels about leftists?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

how do you think dhs feels about leftists?

they seemed pretty harsh on them under obama for example

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/dec/29/fbi-coordinated-crackdown-occupy

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I was being unironic, the DHS loving hates leftists.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: :thunk:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

punishedkissinger posted:

yeah, it turns out that democrats are so loving stupid that they learn the lesson "swerve right" no matter what the outcome is.

Well, it keeps their donors happy, it keeps the system running as it is, and thus keeps them paid, why wouldn't they? I'd say they're playing it smart.

Also, forgive my simple understanding of the process, but as far as I understood it: Trump, like any other candidate, gets re-elected when the majority of people in each state vote for him, sending some/all of that state's EC votes to him, and he then wins re-election if he gets the majority of the EC votes cast overall. He does not get re-elected by people voting or not voting for someone else.

If the argument is "well you should vote for Biden so he has more votes to counter those going to Trump!", he explicitly told me and people like me - those who choose to believe the credible allegations of rape against him - to not vote for him. When the candidate himself told me not to vote for him, why should I?

If Joe Biden wants more votes sent his way instead of to Trump or another candidate, perhaps he and his campaign need to better understand what peoples' motivations are, and make an effort to appeal to them, instead of telling them not to vote for him. Or, if the issue is that people look at Biden's record and don't trust that he's going to actually implement his platform or improve their lives, or people are rejecting him due to the rape allegations or other things he's done, perhaps the party that wishes to win election should have run a better candidate. There were like 50 of them at one point, weren't there?

Kamala loving Harris in the wake of the George Floyd riots, jesus christ. What exactly do people think Trump's propaganda machine is going to do with that?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Right now the Trump campaign is saying that Harris and Biden are soft on crime, and that Harris wanted to lower the military budget. Both claims are an absolute lie, but the truth would make them look good to conservative voters so Trump cant spin that lol.

Saw more posts tonight on social media about how the left should not pick apart Harris, the sole reason being because she is a black woman. Jesus loving christ, and of course its only white women saying this. Like first of all, the black community at the very least has every right to do that if they want to, and secondly Harris is going to be making life or death decisions for millions of people. Have some loving standards. Her record is extremely important here, this is not a game. Biden could have picked any number of black women in politics that are actual decent human beings and instead he picked the loving cop bootlicker. gently caress this.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

I said come in! posted:

Right now the Trump campaign is saying that Harris and Biden are soft on crime, and that Harris wanted to lower the military budget. Both claims are an absolute lie, but the truth would make them look good to conservative voters so Trump cant spin that lol.

lol that's incredible

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Eminai posted:

I was told that Joe Biden has the most progressive policy platform of all time, so I guess it worked.

Yeah, as far as most mainstream liberals are concerned Biden's a total win so I don't see why so many people post in here as if they need to apologise. Bask in your victory, the orange man is going down and a black lady is gonna be veep, surely this is a time for celebration?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Code Jockey posted:

lol that's incredible

they were literally always going to do this, I still don't get why anyone is surprised

Martian
May 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
E: wrong thread

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

lol people should take the grillpill and vote for third party or whatever if they're upset by a Biden/Harris candidacy.
getting mad online till election day isn't particularly healthy or productive

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Just to be clear, if Donald Trump wins in 2020, there's a real chance that a real progressive could win over the Dems corpse in 2024

E: But that only happens if you don't vote for Cops.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

Just to be clear, if Donald Trump wins in 2020, there's a real chance that a real progressive could win over the Dems corpse in 2024

E: But that only happens if you don't vote for Cops.

Please talk me through the steps of how you see this happening.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

Is this a loving joke? This has been one of the main pillars of the argument against voting for Biden for the entire thread.

You seriously can't recall one of the thirty other times someone pointed out that it's easier for a progressive to win an open primary than to challenge an incumbent president?????? Or how the dem primary voting population may be more leery of going along with accepted centrist wisdom after two embarrassing defeats in a row?? Or how the general weakening of the dem establishment makes them vulnerable to takeover by non-sociopaths???

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Verus posted:

Is this a loving joke? This has been one of the main pillars of the argument against voting for Biden for the entire thread.

You seriously can't recall one of the thirty other times someone pointed out that it's easier for a progressive to win an open primary than to challenge an incumbent president?????? Or how the dem primary voting population may be more leery of going along with accepted centrist wisdom after two embarrassing defeats in a row?? Or how the general weakening of the dem establishment makes them vulnerable to takeover by non-sociopaths???

As I understand it so far

1) Trump wins
2) Trump launches total war against leftists and progressives (antifa terrorists as he calls them)
3) Republicans do everything in their power to continue to rig elections and disenfranchise voters
?
?
?
?
?
?
?
10) Progressive somehow comes on top of the next election that the gop has spent 4 years actively working to rig?

yeah I know that some people say that they think that's what would happen, but I've never seen anyone actually explain how they think it would happen. Frankly I've heard more people say that they think it would lead to an actual civil war/revolution and then we'd get full leftism now. How we'd go from 3 to either of those options is not at all apparent.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Aug 13, 2020

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm also unclear how 4 more years of doing worse than nothing about climate change leaves us in a better spot.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
Blue Ocean Event by 2035, there is nothing to do about climate change anymore.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

spunkshui posted:

Seems to me like participating in the primary* is how that happens, not by reelecting Trump.

*Offer not valid in the following states and districts:

Wyoming, Ohio, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Hawaii, District of Columbia, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Georgia, West Virginia, Kentucky, New York, Delaware, New Jersey, Louisiana, and Conneticuit.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
The only acceptable outcome is president Hawkins dealing with a Dem majority in both Houses. Voting for anything less than that is just putting your head down on the tracks and waiting for the 9.15 train to end your misery

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Based off of historical precedent, a Democrat will probably be elected in 2024 if Trump is re-elected (parties usually change after 8-year terms and the economy/fundamentals are virtually certain to still be very bad in 2024, if not worse).

If Biden is elected, the chances of electing a good candidate in 2024 are essentially zero, since the Democratic nominee will be the incumbent (or more likely the VP in this case). Either a Republican wins, or an awful Democrat does - there's no real possibility of anything else.

The rationale here is actually very straight-forward. If you think that the importance of electing someone good dramatically outweigh the difference in outcome between a Biden and Trump presidency, it makes sense to take the route that offers a high chance of that.

All of this being said, my concern is that if Trump is re-elected, liberals will continue to live under the illusion that he is uniquely responsible for our country's ills and will just nominate some other terrible Democrat in 2024. Biden will at least force them to confront the reality of their own political party.

Gentleman Baller
Oct 13, 2013

Code Jockey posted:

If the argument is "well you should vote for Biden so he has more votes to counter those going to Trump!", he explicitly told me and people like me - those who choose to believe the credible allegations of rape against him - to not vote for him. When the candidate himself told me not to vote for him, why should I?

Does anyone actually think like this or is it just being memey? When I decide who to vote for in any election, who a candidate wants to not vote for them is so unbelievably far down on my list of poo poo I care about, and I see people whose opinions I respect a lot going hard on it like either they do think it is important, or they think Joe Biden supporters think its important and either possibility just seems so bizarre.

Daduzi
Nov 22, 2005

You can't hide from the Grim Reaper. Especially when he's got a gun.

I'm also unclear how 4 more years of doing worse than nothing about climate change leaves us in a better spot.

Maybe the thinking is that the complete depopulation of California through fire and flood would lead to Harris being ruled out as a 2024 candidate. And no more Feinstein in the bargain, it's a win-win!

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Ytlaya posted:

All of this being said, my concern is that if Trump is re-elected, liberals will continue to live under the illusion that he is uniquely responsible for our country's ills and will just nominate some other terrible Democrat in 2024. Biden will at least force them to confront the reality of their own political party.

Considering how obviously they want a candidate that will let them go back to brunch and forget about politics, my worry is that Biden winning will make them go "Good, the President has a D next to their name. Everything's fine now." Then they'll ignore all the bad things happening like they did (and continue to do) with Obama. Trump forces it out into the open, where they can't tune it out no matter how much they might want to.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Ytlaya posted:

Based off of historical precedent, a Democrat will probably be elected in 2024 if Trump is re-elected (parties usually change after 8-year terms and the economy/fundamentals are virtually certain to still be very bad in 2024, if not worse).

If Biden is elected, the chances of electing a good candidate in 2024 are essentially zero, since the Democratic nominee will be the incumbent (or more likely the VP in this case). Either a Republican wins, or an awful Democrat does - there's no real possibility of anything else.

The rationale here is actually very straight-forward. If you think that the importance of electing someone good dramatically outweigh the difference in outcome between a Biden and Trump presidency, it makes sense to take the route that offers a high chance of that.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but are you saying that a Biden presidency would force them to look in the mirror? I really don't think that would be the case. A Biden presidency would be confirmation to them that they are the Adults In The Room who were able to Make The Tough Decision to vote for a uniquely awful candidate in order to get Trump out of the White House. They'd be patting themselves on the back all the way to President Actual, Literal Hitler (D) because "at least he's not a Republican".

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Kreeblah posted:

*Offer not valid in the following states and districts:

Wyoming, Ohio, Kansas, Nebraska, Oregon, Hawaii, District of Columbia, Indiana, Maryland, Montana, New Mexico, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Georgia, West Virginia, Kentucky, New York, Delaware, New Jersey, Louisiana, and Conneticuit.

Yeah, unless a million leftists move to South Carolina treating "vote in the primaries" as a meaningful action is a joke.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

you don't actually have the option not to do worse than nothing on climate change for four years at this point. if biden wins comfortably and his programme is seen to be vindicated, you can extend that to eight years at the minimum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Like, if you're still having trouble wrapping your head around why leftists aren't excited, it's because a Biden victory is a Pyrrhic victory.