Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
What's going on with Mermaids? Twitter is ago because lots of charities and celeb supporters have apparently deleted any mention of them over the last 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

TACD posted:

As an academic with access to most of the paywalled stuff anyway I still use SciHub a lot of the time because it’s just much easier than having to jump through all the authentication hoops and then the university’s bollocksy search system.

Extremely same, sci-hub is amazing and gently caress Elsevier, Springer Verlag and friends forever. Pay us four figures for the privilege of having some other scientists review your article and edit our journal for free so we can charge uni libraries five figures for access to a pdf. gently caress off.

Some EU funding requires a commitment to open access publication to qualify now, which I support, except of course the usual suspects just started open access journals and then charged authors even more to submit to them. Academic publishing is such a scam it's unreal.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I would never believe a promise of a storm.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Lady Demelza posted:

What's going on with Mermaids? Twitter is ago because lots of charities and celeb supporters have apparently deleted any mention of them over the last 24 hours.
because i hate myself and humanity i took a look at this, it originated with a blog by our old friend Glinner a couple of days ago where he noted that a grand total of two celebs who'd tweeted support for Mermaids in the past had recently done a mass delete of all their old tweets, which obviously was done as smokescreen to cover the tweets about Mermaids specifically, because *waves hands vaguely*, and also the Beeb removed several trans charities from their Advice Line links a couple of weeks ago 'to remain impartial', which obviously was done as smokescreen to cover removing Mermaids specifically, because *waves hands vaguely*

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

JustaDamnFool posted:

This weather is loving miserable. I refuse to believe that people live in countries that are hotter than this on a daily basis.

i was all ready to sneer at you but apparently 34C is actually a somewhat respectable temperature, even for a Texan

it's about where our late afternoons / early evenings are right now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The UK also almost never has any sort of residential AC systems.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

In fact in the last 10-15 years houses have been built to increasing standards of insulation and airtightness, with no increased requirements for ventilation, plus building techniques have moved towards ones which include very little thermal mass.

I stayed in my (then) girlfriend's room she was renting in a new-build house in summer 2014 and I think the outside air temperature was something like 27 degrees, so not even crazy hot, and it was UNBEARABLY hot inside, even with the windows open. The house just somehow heated up and stayed hot.

It's a problem that's been recognised by the government, too:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s_-_phase_1.pdf

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm playing Oxygen Not Included as I post so the idea of living inside a firebrick oven and slowly cooking to death is very relevant.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010

endlessmonotony posted:

Problem here is that yes, trap sprung, I understand how these things work and thus probably should be kept safe from the public who doesn't because they're doing WHAT about 5G now... and you two don't understand how 4G uses the wavelengths it does, because the claim that 4G uses higher frequency wavelengths having any bearing upon its reliability is just plain wrong.
I didn't say 4G using higher frequencies improves its reliability. I said 3G using lower frequencies improves range and coverage. What did you want, a loving whitepaper on the exact technicalities of how 3G and 4G network architectures differ?

(Maybe that seems a little uncharitable, but going from querying one guy saying `However there may be specific restrictions on the network preventing this - I'm not sure exactly *why* they would do this though, because by its nature 4G is less reliable than 3G` to "Actually me asking that was a trap and it's actually about the public's perception of 5G" makes me think you weren't exactly trying to have a normal conversation)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

WhatEvil posted:

In fact in the last 10-15 years houses have been built to increasing standards of insulation and airtightness, with no increased requirements for ventilation, plus building techniques have moved towards ones which include very little thermal mass.

I stayed in my (then) girlfriend's room she was renting in a new-build house in summer 2014 and I think the outside air temperature was something like 27 degrees, so not even crazy hot, and it was UNBEARABLY hot inside, even with the windows open. The house just somehow heated up and stayed hot.

It's a problem that's been recognised by the government, too:

https://assets.publishing.service.g...s_-_phase_1.pdf

Sounds like the kind of house that could effectively be combined with an AC to me.

Mesopotamia
Apr 12, 2010
Fallen slightly out of the loop with the state of UK atm/the media really doesn't give a poo poo about the North. Does it look like the Manchester lockdown is working, or is it more likely to spread?

Flying back home next weekend for the first time this year, but having to go to Sheffield via Manchester.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I thought the metal canisters were nitrous oxide

Is that the same as poppers?

I'm not a drug person

The metal canisters are nitrous. You put the canisters in a cream whipper then fill up balloons with them, which are then huffed over and over again until you get hosed (ideally laughing and feeling disassociated). The nitrous is very cold so without the balloon you'd freeze your gob off. If you live near a city you'll have probably seen nitrous canisters around the place.

Poppers are sold in wee glass bottles and tend to be sniffed directly from the bottle (or poured onto a cloth and huffed like solvents) - it has a weaker effect than nitrous but is a lot more portable and easy to get hold of (also it's not meant to be drank, I heard it can strip enamel off teeth)

Both are good for mixing with other drugs like MDMA or LSD, should you find yourself in that situation and wonder 'I want to get more hosed up but just for a minute'

bustin keaton posted:

Fallen slightly out of the loop with the state of UK atm/the media really doesn't give a poo poo about the North. Does it look like the Manchester lockdown is working, or is it more likely to spread?

Flying back home next weekend for the first time this year, but having to go to Sheffield via Manchester.

I went to Manchester yesterday for the first time in months for work. It was outrageous really, streets were heaving, nobody was wearing masks, they've closed off streets to put tables out for Rishi's coronavirus death deal and everyone's intermingling, sitting inside places, toilets are generally closed so the whole place stinks of piss and literal piles of human poo poo are dotted everywhere.

If you stay on the tram you should be alright.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bustin keaton posted:

I didn't say 4G using higher frequencies improves its reliability. I said 3G using lower frequencies improves range and coverage. What did you want, a loving whitepaper on the exact technicalities of how 3G and 4G network architectures differ?

(Maybe that seems a little uncharitable, but going from querying one guy saying `However there may be specific restrictions on the network preventing this - I'm not sure exactly *why* they would do this though, because by its nature 4G is less reliable than 3G` to "Actually me asking that was a trap and it's actually about the public's perception of 5G" makes me think you weren't exactly trying to have a normal conversation)

Honestly if pressed I would give similar answer, so perhaps that supports the point about "general public".

Then again I also wrote FPGA code to interface with both 3G and 4G transceivers so I think that's stretching the "general public" a bit thin, the number of qualified people then would have to be fairly low.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Private Speech posted:

Honestly if pressed I would give similar answer, so perhaps that supports the point about "general public".

Then again I also wrote FPGA code to interface with both 3G and 4G transceivers so I think that's stretching the "general public" a bit thin, the number of qualified people then would have to be fairly low.

Here in America verizon uses 700 mhz for rural areas, so does at&t and t-mobile, which is also using 600 mhz for 4g and 5g.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Celexi posted:

Here in America verizon uses 700 mhz for rural areas, so does at&t and t-mobile, which is also using 600 mhz for 4g and 5g.

Fair point the frequencies do differ a lot between regions.

So I guess it's true that the number of qualified people is rather low at that.

e: I'm curious if someone qualified would be willing to make an effortpost on the topic, or point to one. Even looking at industry websites there's references to frequency band and related geographical area/number of subscribers.

I should probably get a wireless DSP textbook one of these days, but it's not what I work on anymore.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Aug 13, 2020

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

justcola posted:

I went to Manchester yesterday ... the whole place stinks of piss and literal piles of human poo poo are dotted everywhere.

If you stay on the tram you should be alright.
Too easy, sir.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
Some crazy flash flooding in Telford and Shropshire over night.

Tesco and Asda near me have had roof collapses, a McDs has also had something similar, and so has a few pubs.

Quite a few roads impassable too.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Lungboy posted:

Emailing the contact author is usually the easiest way to get a free copy, although even this is becoming less common now.

The only problem with this is that once you publish one article with a public email, you are forever inundated with predatory journal spam requests, with subject headers like “dear kindest professor, please gladden my day with your eloquent submission...”, so make it clear you’re not that type of “request” and if you don’t hear anything back it’s more than likely your email was lost in the spam folder

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Apraxin posted:

because i hate myself and humanity i took a look at this, it originated with a blog by our old friend Glinner a couple of days ago where he noted that a grand total of two celebs who'd tweeted support for Mermaids in the past had recently done a mass delete of all their old tweets, which obviously was done as smokescreen to cover the tweets about Mermaids specifically, because *waves hands vaguely*, and also the Beeb removed several trans charities from their Advice Line links a couple of weeks ago 'to remain impartial', which obviously was done as smokescreen to cover removing Mermaids specifically, because *waves hands vaguely*

The tide is turning, you see, and soon everyone will realise that he was right and correct all these years and he will finally win the argument he started 10 years ago and there will be parades with the children and the women dancing gayly in the streets and carrying banners with his unusual face on

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Not too gayly mind. Just the proper kind that Glinner felt that he was right on for defending. None of this gender lark.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Re Manchester lockdown - everyone seems to just be ignoring it now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/econbartleby/status/1293656692157296643

:hmmyes:

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

I think that Gavin Williamson might be hyperaware of the dangers of promotion beyond one's competence, for... some reason

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I yearn for the infinitely expanding ironicat to break free of the forums and crush us all

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
As a 10 years qualified professional applying for fairly senior positions in my early 30s, last time I was job hunting I dropped my A-levels off my CV to make more room for career stuff and literally the first question I got was "why aren't your A-levels on your CV, is there something wrong with them?"

Recruitment is insanely stupid and that poo poo absolutely does follow you and harm you forever, but only if the grades are lower than they ought to be. If they're good they just get ignored, correctly, as the utter irrelevance that they are.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Telegraph getting a bit high brow artsy with its use of metaphoric imagery to support its stories on the government's handling of matters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

peanut- posted:

As a 10 years qualified professional applying for fairly senior positions in my early 30s, last time I was job hunting I dropped my A-levels off my CV to make more room for career stuff and literally the first question I got was "why aren't your A-levels on your CV, is there something wrong with them?"

Recruitment is insanely stupid and that poo poo absolutely does follow you and harm you forever, but only if the grades are lower than they ought to be. If they're good they just get ignored, correctly, as the utter irrelevance that they are.

Same general age bracket and qualification, but I would be not keen to hire somebody 25+ who listed their exam results on their CV. I think that recruiter might just have been a moron, or else maybe STEM be different like that

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

I'd like to think that my friends are otherwise sensible, but they now seem to have this blind spot where social distancing is this thing we're supposed to pay lip service to and basically nothing else. Like they aren't actively decrying it and don't think that Covid isn't a danger, but this has somehow stopped translating into them not meeting up in town for a drink on a fairly regular basis.

First have been really good about things at least, the buses have most of the seats marked as not for use, and mostly empty buses have gone right by as they are already deemed to be at capacity. So I least feel reasonably safe going into the office (pretty much the only one), even if the buses are hideous ovens right now.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Might start putting my SATS in there, gotta fill that two pages somehow.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I only put my BA (and next month MA) on my CV. I also managed to get this far in life without having a Maths GCSE :hotpickle:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I'd like to think that my friends are otherwise sensible, but they now seem to have this blind spot where social distancing is this thing we're supposed to pay lip service to and basically nothing else. Like they aren't actively decrying it and don't think that Covid isn't a danger, but this has somehow stopped translating into them not meeting up in town for a drink on a fairly regular basis.

I'm the only one of my friends who hasnt been to a pub, another persons house, on holiday or seen most of my family. Feel like I'm a bit of a mug really for trying to keep it up, but still don't think its worth the risk.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The government is being quite clear that Covid is over.
Otherwise why in gods name would you open the pubs?

It's even more absurd in Scotland where the gov is insisting we are locked down while the pubs are open

E it's been funny realising that sturgeon is basically Head Girl. A position there to give the illusion of participation but she can never overrule the teachers and her only powers involve punishing other students

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I thought she threatened boris with whilst hes on holiday in Scotland shes going to keep tabs on him and get him if he breaks any rules.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Ms Adequate posted:

Normally when I whack on the AC unit it cools my room down in a few minutes, today it's so hot it's taking a good hour to do so, unless you sit right in front of it (which I have been doing) you wouldn't even notice it was doing anything to the air temp for a long long time. I mean, it's still working and I'm extremely grateful for the cool baja blast and all but crikey.

I had sort of assumed it was because there's some Big Lads what would make A Fuss if they did that because it could be inferred by said Big Lads as suggesting the Free State was still under the auspices of the UK but your idea makes just as much sense tbh

Always wound me up though. Surely to God there's enough people going to and from on any given day/weekend/etc.* to warrant a look at their weather

* I mean not atm but...

I know this is from yesterday but it's really OK and I won't get lairy about the maps.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Go to the pub, see your family. Mental health is important. Corona is not going away.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm enjoying my hypocritical position of staunchly believing pubs shouldn't be open while still going to them.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

CancerCakes posted:

Yeah I don't feel that anything has changed since the local lockdown started other than that I can't go and visit my family.

My neighbour 2 doors down was having a bbq with a bunch of her mates last night. Luckily the thunder storm finally happened right on top of them.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Mebh posted:

Jesus christ. I love me some Stilton but if I can get cheaper rice wine, access to angi, daikon, negi, real wasabi, proper tofu, mochigomi rice, maitake mushrooms and a whole host of other things Stilton can loving do one. I'll make up the gdp loss myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3G6Gq2Z6Y8

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
https://twitter.com/YSAB87/status/1293563970515873793

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Yeah I don't feel that anything has changed since the local lockdown started other than that I can't go and visit my family.

My neighbour 2 doors down was having a bbq with a bunch of her mates last night. Luckily the thunder storm finally happened right on top of them.

Forcing them inside probably increases the chance of people spreading the virus.

Also, given everywhere with a card machine is still open I'm not suprised people in Manchester aren't taking this seriously - if the government isn't why should they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Because they and their families might get really sick and die.