Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

deep down we all thought we'd be getting one of the cool cyberpunk futures that at least made things kinda fun for humans despite the late-capitalist hellscape, but turns out we're just going to live in Echopraxia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cyber lungs sound way less awesome in 2020

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
any minute now I expect Darpa to come out and say that they have developed in partnership with Elon Musk a neural cutout "zombie" brain chip that will let soldiers kill without being conscious that they are killing.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

ironically the only people who willingly become p-zombies are philosophers tired of this whole consciousness bullshit.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

uber_stoat posted:

any minute now I expect Darpa to come out and say that they have developed in partnership with Elon Musk a neural cutout "zombie" brain chip that will let soldiers kill without being conscious that they are killing.

That's the part they like the best though?

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

mysterious frankie posted:

ME: I don’t know. It’s not like I’m really sad. It’s just like... there’s nothing there, in me, you know? I feel like I’m disappearing.

DR: I hear what you’re saying and we’re going to get into that, but first, have you played World of Champions, the deceptively simple looking free multiplayer rpg taking the internet by storm, available for Android and iOS devices? Use my code drmcadam for twenty free chaos shards and Suicide Queen, a great starting hero to have.
roflmao

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
signing up to become a murder zombie for ten years in exchange for full citizenship afterward

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

Aleph Null posted:

Will Smith working on a Fresh Prince gritty reboot
https://www.glamour.com/story/the-fresh-prince-of-bel-air-reboot
because of a YouTube fan-made trailer for the same
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kD3ISIM_kU8

Carlton doing the dance, but it’s a They Shoot Horses, Don’t They? situation.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

uber_stoat posted:

If you could alter this so it lets you go into work and mindlessly perform your duties, so you're only actively conscious on evenings and weekends, I'd be in on day one.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

If you could alter this so it lets you go into work and mindlessly perform your duties, so you're only actively conscious on evenings and weekends, I'd be in on day one.

there is a documentary film on this topic u should check out

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

T-man posted:

peter watts is a trained language model theory confirmed

i assume the training set was half doomer posts, half depressing philosophy

Where does all the sexual sadism come in from?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Stanky Bean posted:

Where does all the sexual sadism come in from?

You're not a philosophy kinda person are you. Reading Hegel is the ultimate punishment for bratty subs.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Glad I never bothered to read much Hegel then, yeesh watts seems to write those parts of his books one handed

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

T-man posted:

The secret to these robots is that they all suck and are mostly for show. If you make it smart enough to understand anything of use its a 30 minute battery life or it stops working when the wifi gets choppy. Otherwise it's just an overpriced camera on wheels.

and even if it were smart, it looks trivial to disable and it costs $100k

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

The 7 foot tall version sounds interesting tho. Whoops accidently ran over a small child! Oh well.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

GWBBQ posted:

GPT-3, the newest version of the deep learning writing bot, produces pretty good results and has better spelling and grammar than 95% of the Internet.

https://twitter.com/QasimMunye/status/1288912561178640385

9 philosophers wrote their opinions on it, and they were fed in to the bot along with an explanation that they would like it to respond to those opinions. Read all 4 pages, you might get a bit uncomfortable at the part where it lies, admits it, then goes on to explain how and why it did so
https://twitter.com/raphamilliere/status/1289129723310886912

I've been saying this for a few years, we're rapidly progressing from a post-truth era to post-reality.
I, P-Zombie

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

sustainable slave labor

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Wheeee posted:

I thought he couldn't rewind in that movie

Was the REWIND TO PROM button broken?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I watched that movie up until he fast forwarded through sex with Kate Beckinsale and then threw the disc out a window

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

sustainable slave labor

Technically, it's a renewable resource

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

Fried Watermelon posted:

I thought he couldn't rewind in that movie

Was the REWIND TO PROM button broken?

Yeah, he couldn't rewind. Also, the device malfunctions, first with user-error (fast-forwarding more than he intended even in that moment), then the remote malfunctions and won't stop fast-forwarding.

In grade school, they showed a few episodes of this show called The Book of Virtues, and there was an episode set in the early 1900s where a boy bored with schoolwork gets a magic ball of string that fast forwards his life when he unwinds it. He decides to fast forward through school, then through the hard parts of relationships, just like in Click, except it's entirely an escalation into an addiction instead of the device malfunctioning factoring in.

Edit: The author of The Book of Virtures purports that "The Magic Thread" is "a French tale" by an anonymous author, but I couldn't find anything about such a French fable that wasn't related to his book

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Aug 12, 2020

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

and that ball of string's name?

drugs

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Wheeee posted:

*desiging a remote*

what's a good layout for buttons. how about

code:
PLAY          MUTE
DELETE        PAUSE
FF            SLO-MO
SKIP          REWIND

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Shittest cyberpunk dystopia is having that remote but the only things it can do are the exact functions labeled on those buttons

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my children are never growing up and im trapped in a groundhog-day esque prom night

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Gonna smoke that ball of string all night long then get taco bell

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2020/08/11/changing-world-changing-mozilla/

Mitchell Baker copped a squat and posted:

This is a time of change for the internet and for Mozilla. From combatting a lethal virus and battling systemic racism to protecting individual privacy — one thing is clear: an open and accessible internet is essential to the fight.

Mozilla exists so the internet can help the world collectively meet the range of challenges a moment like this presents. Firefox is a part of this. But we know we also need to go beyond the browser to give people new products and technologies that both excite them and represent their interests. Over the last while, it has been clear that Mozilla is not structured properly to create these new things — and to build the better internet we all deserve.

Today we announced a significant restructuring of Mozilla Corporation. This will strengthen our ability to build and invest in products and services that will give people alternatives to conventional Big Tech. Sadly, the changes also include a significant reduction in our workforce by approximately 250 people. These are individuals of exceptional professional and personal caliber who have made outstanding contributions to who we are today. To each of them, I extend my heartfelt thanks and deepest regrets that we have come to this point. This is a humbling recognition of the realities we face, and what is needed to overcome them.

As I shared in the internal message sent to our employees today, our pre-COVID plan for 2020 included a great deal of change already: building a better internet by creating new kinds of value in Firefox; investing in innovation and creating new products; and adjusting our finances to ensure stability over the long term. Economic conditions resulting from the global pandemic have significantly impacted our revenue. As a result, our pre-COVID plan was no longer workable. Though we’ve been talking openly with our employees about the need for change — including the likelihood of layoffs — since the spring, it was no easier today when these changes became real. I desperately wish there was some other way to set Mozilla up for long term success in building a better internet.

But to go further, we must be organized to be able to think about a different world. To imagine that technology will become embedded in our world even more than it is, and we want that technology to have different characteristics and values than we experience today.

So going forward we will be smaller. We’ll also be organizing ourselves very differently, acting more quickly and nimbly. We’ll experiment more. We’ll adjust more quickly. We’ll join with allies outside of our organization more often and more effectively. We’ll meet people where they are. We’ll become great at expressing and building our core values into products and programs that speak to today’s issues. We’ll join and build with all those who seek openness, decency, empowerment and common good in online life.

I believe this vision of change will make a difference — that it can allow us to become a Mozilla that excites people and shapes the agenda of the internet. I also realize this vision will feel abstract to many. With this in mind, we have mapped out five specific areas to focus on as we roll out this new structure over the coming months:

New focus on product. Mozilla must be a world-class, modern, multi-product internet organization. That means diverse, representative, focused on people outside of our walls, solving problems, building new products, engaging with users and doing the magic of mixing tech with our values. To start, that means products that mitigate harms or address the kinds of the problems that people face today. Over the longer run, our goal is to build new experiences that people love and want, that have better values and better characteristics inside those products.

New mindset. The internet has become the platform. We love the traits of it — the decentralization, its permissionless innovation, the open source underpinnings of it, and the standards part — we love it all. But to enable these changes, we must shift our collective mindset from a place of defending, protecting, sometimes even huddling up and trying to keep a piece of what we love to one that is proactive, curious, and engaged with people out in the world. We will become the modern organization we aim to be — combining product, technology and advocacy — when we are building new things, making changes within ourselves and seeing how the traits of the past can show up in new ways in the future.

New focus on technology. Mozilla is a technical powerhouse of the internet activist movement. And we must stay that way. We must provide leadership, test out products, and draw businesses into areas that aren’t traditional web technology. The internet is the platform now with ubiquitous web technologies built into it, but vast new areas are developing (like Wasmtime and the Bytecode Alliance vision of nanoprocesses). Our vision and abilities should play in those areas too.

New focus on community. Mozilla must continue to be part of something larger than ourselves, part of the group of people looking for a better internet. Our open source volunteers today — as well as the hundreds of thousands of people who donate to and participate in Mozilla Foundation’s advocacy work — are a precious and critical part of this. But we also need to go further and think about community in new ways. We must be increasingly open to joining others on their missions, to contribute to the better internet they’re building.

New focus on economics. Recognizing that the old model where everything was free has consequences, means we must explore a range of different business opportunities and alternate value exchanges. How can we lead towards business models that honor and protect people while creating opportunities for our business to thrive? How can we, or others who want a better internet, or those who feel like a different balance should exist between social and public benefit and private profit offer an alternative? We need to identify those people and join them. We must learn and expand different ways to support ourselves and build a business that isn’t what we see today.

We’re fortunate that Firefox and Mozilla retain a high degree of trust in the world. Trust and a feeling of authenticity feel unusual in tech today. But there is a sense that people want more from us. They want to work with us, to build with us. The changes we are making today are hard. But with these changes we believe we’ll be ready to meet these people — and the challenges and opportunities facing the future of the internet — head on.

Maria Juana
May 31, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Maria Juana has issued a correction as of 01:30 on Aug 13, 2020

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
cutting the workforce to give myself a raise over 2.5m

i'm that productive and Worth It

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

This is pretty much how prostitutes work in Neuromancer

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

HiroProtagonist posted:

cutting the workforce to give myself a raise over 2.5m

i'm the only one who VCs will talk to, so I get to embezzleme my share

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

https://twitter.com/7ElevenAus/status/1293745623313784834

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/7ElevenAus/status/1293785397319761920

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Pulling down my mask to reveal a second mask that says gently caress You

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

I have a medical condition that requires I wear a mask.

The medical condition is having a human body.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
gotta love how the nonprofit side of mozilla got axed by the for-profit and it was our biggest bet for a open web
cool, cool,cool

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does Mozilla make money? Do they also sell data?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

ekuNNN posted:

How does Mozilla make money? Do they also sell data?

They get money from Google for making it the default search engine, money from Pocket, Firefox VPN and whatever other paid services they own, and donations.

I'm genuinely worried about the future of Firefox. I know there are smaller browsers out there not affiliated with any tech giants, but AFAIK Firefox is the only modern browser that doesn't use Webkit/Blink.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
the total dominance of webkit has always been guaranteed since microsoft abandoned their engine. it was only a matter of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
the open web is honestly dead on water, not like tech is willing to unionise anytime soon