Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Bob Morales posted:

Two people cannot 'work on a server' at the same time.

I smell a Sharks/Jets-style dance-fight!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

I really hate the dogshit software the State/Medicaid force on accountants.

Out of date documentation, 'Extract to a folder on your C drive' methods of installation/patching...

I have to support some software distributed by the FEC that is the same style of terrible.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Grimey Drawer

KozmoNaut posted:

Or an Android One device. My Motorola is clean stock Android, aside from like two Motorola apps to support gestures and track skipping via the volume rocker.
"Pure Android" is the term you're looking for.

I bought a pre-paid carrier device as a secondary phone, and the difference in experience between that and my Pixel is loving flabbergasting. There is no way in loving hell I will ever buy another carrier Android as my primary phone.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

i loving love excel i love when i type something in a cell and it pops up autocomplete since ive used that value before and i hit enter and it uses deep learning to autofill the entire column with completely random number and letter values??

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Thanks Ants posted:

The iPhone marketing could just be "doesn't have all this preloaded poo poo, doesn't have banner adverts in the phone dialer" and that would be enough for me. I'd lose battery life, camera quality, radio quality if the alternative was to be exposed to what carrier-branded Android handsets have become.

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

That's not a parody?

Like when people claimed the next iMac would have the keyboard replaced by a spinning character wheel?

I would legit prefer the Chinese to be stealing all my personal data than put up with that poo poo.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Fellatio del Toro posted:

i loving love excel i love when i type something in a cell and it pops up autocomplete since ive used that value before and i hit enter and it uses deep learning to autofill the entire column with completely random number and letter values??

Semi-relevant:

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
For what it's worth, Samsung put all the promotions crap & bundled app in their partner developer builds too which is great fun when you're supposed to be debugging things but ads keep on getting in the way. Extra bonus for me was that for some reason Samsung decided I wanted the German build for a phone (because I was in the EU?) so it wasn't even ads in a language I knew!

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Moo the cow posted:

That's not a parody?

Like when people claimed the next iMac would have the keyboard replaced by a spinning character wheel?

I would legit prefer the Chinese to be stealing all my personal data than put up with that poo poo.

eh, compared to that Bixby button, it's far less noticable. Today was the first time I've ever bothered to click on that tab. I didn't get ads because I haven't gone thorugh the setup (and don't intend to).

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Ugh the loving bixby button!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

The iPhone marketing could just be "doesn't have all this preloaded poo poo, doesn't have banner adverts in the phone dialer" and that would be enough for me. I'd lose battery life, camera quality, radio quality if the alternative was to be exposed to what carrier-branded Android handsets have become.

https://twitter.com/robotodd/status/1229768673352724480

y'all could just get a oneplus or something and not deal with this bullshit too

chances are there's going to be someone popping up with a :ohdear: over it though

E:

Moo the cow posted:

That's not a parody?

yeah and i'm on my second oneplus now bc idrc, the amount of bloat in US domestic market phones is absurd and no wonder they die on average every two years. I got over that in a big drat hurry pretty quick

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Aug 12, 2020

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Wallet posted:

I had a test Android phone for work from Verizon or something and it came with a pre-installed and unremovable copy of the loving NFL app. As I recall the only way to genuinely remove it was to root the phone. I guess at least the NFL app probably isn't spying on you to sell your information to recruiters.

I removed this app and so much other garbage from my phone including Play Services and my battery life went from one day to like three.

Cricket Wireless has to be the most disingenuously run carrier in the market.
Zero refunds, no matter what. "Can't" port a number to an existing line without like $50 in fees. They don't understand that I don't want to pay for something twice. They noted, in my account notes, "customer was informed of the refund policy."

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd return a product if it did that. If you want to show me ads then the TV had better be free.

Why do you think the TV waited to show me the totally-not-ads until it was too late to return

gently caress you Samsung

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd return a product if it did that. If you want to show me ads then the TV had better be free.

My Samsung has a fantastic picture, great audio, and a cutesy touch of starting up from, and shutting down to a single horizontal line like a CRT tube TV. It runs off my media box (an Apple TV), so I never see the Samsung menus or ads. Try something like that.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HiroProtagonist posted:

y'all could just get a oneplus or something and not deal with this bullshit too

chances are there's going to be someone popping up with a :ohdear: over it though

E:

yeah and i'm on my second oneplus now bc idrc, the amount of bloat in US domestic market phones is absurd and no wonder they die on average every two years. I got over that in a big drat hurry pretty quick

OnePlus just integrates Facebook services at a system level (said as someone who is a OnePlus owner.)

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

mllaneza posted:

My Samsung has a fantastic picture, great audio, and a cutesy touch of starting up from, and shutting down to a single horizontal line like a CRT tube TV. It runs off my media box (an Apple TV), so I never see the Samsung menus or ads. Try something like that.

I rarely watch actual TV either, but it's on the home bar, so every time I switch the inputs your selection starts from the left side of the bar and to do anything I have to scroll to the right past an ad

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!
Assuming that you’re keeping it online to connect from your phone/tablet, can you block it from reaching out to the internet at least?

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

I might just do that at this point honestly. Here's hoping the TV doesn't then start looking for unsecured wifi networks to communicate with, unless that's how it finally figured out how to pull new ad content. 7663 blocked connection attempts to cdn.samsungcloudsolution.com in the last 24 hours.

Edit: Just did the math it averages an attempt every 11 seconds

klosterdev fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 13, 2020

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
The next TV I buy is going to be one of those hospitality ones they sell to hotels. Just a big bright high definition screen with a single input on the back. No WiFi, no smart bullshit, no "recommended entertainment experiences".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I might just get a new chromecast ultra and then bar my samsung TV from the network.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

OnePlus just integrates Facebook services at a system level (said as someone who is a OnePlus owner.)

What do you mean?

I don't use Facebook though in any case

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Wallet posted:

I personally use a Pixel, yeah. Just seemed particularly absurd to me that the NFL is paying Samsung or whoever to force everyone to have the NFL app on their phones like people are going to accidentally open it one day and realize that they've secretly loved football all of their lives and they just never knew it.

drat this brings back memories of watching a football game on a Razr phone. Not one of the new smart Razrs, like generation 2.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

Wibla posted:

I might just get a new chromecast ultra and then bar my samsung TV from the network.

Yeah, I just didn't configure wireless on mine. I use a Roku for my streaming needs. I shouldn't have to do that, though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Antioch posted:

The next TV I buy is going to be one of those hospitality ones they sell to hotels. Just a big bright high definition screen with a single input on the back. No WiFi, no smart bullshit, no "recommended entertainment experiences".

those probably cost like $12,000 for no reason other than “hotels”

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Weedle posted:

those probably cost like $12,000 for no reason other than “hotels”

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1368268-REG/nec_multisync_c551_55_slim.html

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Pretty sure you can buy a 55” 1080p TV for $99 at Walmart these days

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Keep in mind that signage monitors are designed to keep the image quality constant for years, while a general purpose tv is stress tested in a much limited way during the design phase. We have several units of an older version model of that nec in our offices and they were kept on for about a decade with minimal lumen loss, a couple of sony bravia consumer tv were bought six years after those nec and they got ghosts and heavy backlight intensity loss in a couple of years of usage (also they are pretty much busted now). It's like comparing a bestbuy special laptop with a business model.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 13, 2020

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

vivat virtute posted:

Pretty sure you can buy a 55” 1080p TV for $99 at Walmart these days

Sure, but the point was finding something not loaded with a bunch of smart TV crap.

And also what SlowBloke said.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

HiroProtagonist posted:

What do you mean?

I don't use Facebook though in any case

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/05/oneplus-phones-will-ship-with-facebook-services-that-cant-be-removed/

Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer are baked into the firmware of recent OnePlus phones. You can disable them, but if you don't there's no accounting for what data they are sending back to facebook even if you don't have an account or use facebook. They can also install apps from facebook without user intervention (if they aren't disabled.)

This is actually more concerning for people who do use facebook since you can't disable the services and have the app still work, but the services allow facebook to do an end-run around the play store to update the app.

At any case, stuff like this shouldn't be allowed by google, but they do.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

It's TYOOL 2020 and iOS still doesn't let you specify a default browser / mail client

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Analytics dropped off of one customer's account, and now there's another issue with a WordPress instance pissing out various 500 errors. GoDaddy, more like NoDaddy.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

God drat there is nothing more annoying than being made responsible for handling everything o365 related but then having your global admin role revoked.
Oh wait, yes there is! Like 4 other people who have never even logged in to the admin console have Global Admin role, but my boss still refuses to switch it back because "best practices."

I am the second most senior person on the team next to the Network Engineer.

What spurred this sudden decision to "lock down" our o365? We were hacked. Afterwards my manager googled "Were hacked. wat do?" and saw a post where someone said it's best practices to have no more than 4 global admins.
So, manager guy just removed that role from all but 5 people, and then placed me in charge of locking down "the microsoft" and went on vacation.

It's been months and despite me constantly emailing him with specific permissions and pretty pictures on how to add permissions I'm still not able to do like half the poo poo I need to.

So a FOIA request came in... But we have nobody that can actually run it.
I got pulled into a meeting with $manager and $CIO about it and I explained that's because we never actually gave anyone any sort of roles in o365.
I got about halfway through explaining how eDiscovery works and roles and permissions needed and blah blah blah before $CIO got sick of listening and told me to "just fix it."

*deep breath* [Proceeds to rattle off all the permissions that I don't have that are required to be able to do the required steps for giving eDiscovery.]
$CIO interrupts again, "wait why can't you do any of this?"

"Well because I don't have permission to <long list of poo poo>, and despite my many requests, nothing has been granted or even explicitly denied."
*crickets chirp*

...and that's the story of how I got Global Admin role reassigned.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nice.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Congrats, now you won't have any excuse not to have everything fixed by tomorrow.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

bull3964 posted:

https://9to5google.com/2020/08/05/oneplus-phones-will-ship-with-facebook-services-that-cant-be-removed/

Facebook App Manager and Facebook App Installer are baked into the firmware of recent OnePlus phones. You can disable them, but if you don't there's no accounting for what data they are sending back to facebook even if you don't have an account or use facebook. They can also install apps from facebook without user intervention (if they aren't disabled.)

This is actually more concerning for people who do use facebook since you can't disable the services and have the app still work, but the services allow facebook to do an end-run around the play store to update the app.

At any case, stuff like this shouldn't be allowed by google, but they do.

aha, yeah I didn't know that because I'm still with my 7T. Even more reason to open up dev mode and disable those APIs completely, but regardless of effectiveness at least OnePlus is still virtually free of bloat compared to mainstream domestic phones.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Internet Explorer posted:

Congrats, now you won't have any excuse not to have everything fixed by tomorrow.

Please, son. It's all already fixed.
Including removing 2 Global Admins who no longer even work for us.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Well, poo poo. Do you want global admin on my tenant?

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Yeah ditto. We just hand out Global Admin on our tenant. One of the first things I fixed when I came onboard 2 months ago was removing 50+ accounts for the third party "Service Desk" MSP from Global Admin. There was 72 accounts in GA! ~50 were service desk, 12 no longer worked at the company, and 3 of them were marketing people. Like loving hell.

Anyway now there's 3 of us - me (sysadmin), network guy, boss.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Depends... do you need someone with a mastery of eDiscovery? I have spent the last 8 hours in that admin portal and I feel like I know EVERYTHING now.
The new Advanced eDiscovery is so good there is really no reason to powershell anything. Hell you can even redact poo poo right in the Review Sets tab. Export whatever you want however you want, set custodians, filter, sort, tag, all sorts of poo poo I'll never have to do again. There's even Analytics and pie charts and graphs and poo poo.

Now just let me migrate to AAD and use Duo for 2FA and I can retire happy.

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Depends... do you need someone with a mastery of eDiscovery? I have spent the last 8 hours in that admin portal and I feel like I know EVERYTHING now.
The new Advanced eDiscovery is so good there is really no reason to powershell anything. Hell you can even redact poo poo right in the Review Sets tab. Export whatever you want however you want, set custodians, filter, sort, tag, all sorts of poo poo I'll never have to do again. There's even Analytics and pie charts and graphs and poo poo.

Now just let me migrate to AAD and use Duo for 2FA and I can retire happy.

The new eDiscovery poo poo is niceeee. You spend more time trying to figure out what the gently caress the lawyers wanted in their request and tailoring the search terms to be responsive than you do setting up all the other poo poo on it. Like 99% bullshit free experience compared to 10 years ago trying to find something that could ingest the exchange data store backup copy and run searches against that, then paying $1500 for the privilege of running said software.

Edit: It's also why any time professionalism or personal use or anything email related comes up: The 'E' in Email stands for 'evidence'. Don't send anything via email you wouldn't want your boss to read, or your boss's boss to defend in court.

It's also why most places don't log IM conversations. Can't subpoena or FOIA data we don't have and never collected!

Methylethylaldehyde fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 14, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

The new eDiscovery poo poo is niceeee. You spend more time trying to figure out what the gently caress the lawyers wanted in their request and tailoring the search terms to be responsive than you do setting up all the other poo poo on it. Like 99% bullshit free experience compared to 10 years ago trying to find something that could ingest the exchange data store backup copy and run searches against that, then paying $1500 for the privilege of running said software.

Edit: It's also why any time professionalism or personal use or anything email related comes up: The 'E' in Email stands for 'evidence'. Don't send anything via email you wouldn't want your boss to read, or your boss's boss to defend in court.

It's also why most places don't log IM conversations. Can't subpoena or FOIA data we don't have and never collected!

Yeah the fact that MS just ingests that data and puts it into a container for you is SOOOOO loving NICE.