Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

chaosapiant posted:

Ed Hunter is not an FPS, it’s an on-rails shooter like those old Virtua Cop arcades. It’s not a great game, and they’re my favorite band.

Ah okay, I've only ever seen screenshots of the game so I assumed it was an FPS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Crowetron posted:

Does Quake count as a Nine Inch Nails game?

I'll allow it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I wish GOG would get Psycho Circus and FAKK2. I've been interested in them (and once almost bought a big box copy of Psycho Circus at a thrift store), but never quite gotten around to tracking them down.

Kamrat posted:

That reminds me, heavy metal band Iron Maiden also released a video game, called Ed Hunter, since I haven't heard much about it I'm going to assume it's crap.

Was there any more metal bands that released their own video games besides Kiss and Iron Maiden?

Isn't Ed Hunter like... a rail shooter? They also had a mobile RPG.

E:f;b

al-azad posted:

FAKK 2!!! Coming at youuuuuuu!

A real kludgy game but it looked pretty at the time. A lot of PC devs at the turn of the century were trying their hand at third person action games so you got janky stuff of varying quality like Ultima 8, Oni, Urban Chaos, Sanity, Hype: The Time Quest, Rune, The Devil Inside, oof so many weird and bad games came out like 1999-2002.

Hey now, you're not talking poo poo about Oni, are you? But yeah, Tomb Raider certainly left a mark on the industry, just look at Heretic 2.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Oni had a super slick movement and melee combat system but the environments were soooo baaaad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Half those games are okay, just okay, but in 1999 please don’t ask me to play your pc third person platformer with mouse and keyboard or a sidewinder.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Outcast was cool

well the demo at least thats all i got to play

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Nah, the full game was cool too. I hear they've remastered it?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Kamrat posted:

One game I would really like to see Civvie tackle is Redneck Rampage, he's done far worse games than that one.

If we're talking console shooters Alien vs Predator for the Jaguar would be awesome.

He brought up RR in the Sunstorm Duke Nukem so it's probably on his mind(especially since it's the only major Build engine game he hasn't covered yet)

Also he really needs to get around to Wolfenstein 2009

Kamrat posted:

That reminds me, heavy metal band Iron Maiden also released a video game, called Ed Hunter, since I haven't heard much about it I'm going to assume it's crap.

Was there any more metal bands that released their own video games besides Kiss and Iron Maiden?

There was that one video game that David Bowie was heavily involved with, can't remember the name of it though

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
omnikron the nomad soul

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Serephina posted:

Nah, the full game was cool too. I hear they've remastered it?

Two remasters (sorta)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Omikron is David Cage’s first big project and it’s nuts. Like it’s an open world adventure game like shenmue but occasionally you’ll engage in first person shooting segments and 2d tekken fights.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Outcast (not to be confused with Outkast) was well ahead of it's time. In combining a polygonal engine with a voxel engine it was able to create lush outdoor landscapes and power an open world shooter with open ended gameplay. It may not seem remarkable now after all the Boiling Points and Xenuses and Precursors and 5 million Far Crys and every big release being an open world action game, but back in 1999 when all the major shooters took place in boxy corridors, it was a revelation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHbXtaVQ49Y

drrockso20 posted:

There was that one video game that David Bowie was heavily involved with, can't remember the name of it though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BG8UZq3X6w

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

al-azad posted:

Omikron is David Cage’s first big project and it’s nuts. Like it’s an open world adventure game like shenmue but occasionally you’ll engage in first person shooting segments and 2d tekken fights.

Sounds pretty cool and since it's from the 90's it's before David Cage became full of himself, gonna have to track down a copy.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Kamrat posted:

Sounds pretty cool and since it's from the 90's it's before David Cage became full of himself, gonna have to track down a copy.

you're in for such a treat if you think Cage was never full of himself that I'm not even going to spoil the first 5 minutes.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Omikron also problematically features a pedophile as its big name talent in addition to being the progenitor David Cage ooze his excesses are distilled from.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

JLaw posted:

Oni had a super slick movement and melee combat system but the environments were soooo baaaad.

Roundhouse kicking someone in the face and then picking up the gun they dropped and unloading the clip into them was awesome but the levels were just completely empty. It seemed like they figured out the combat systems and then just had to crunch to get it out without going over budget or something.

I was super excited about it as a Bungie fan back in the day but it was really underwhelming when I actually got a copy of it. I thought it was more like Abuse where Bungie just kind of published it but I could be wrong about that.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
At the time IIRC they made a somewhat big deal out of getting non-video-game-experienced Actual Architects to design (or help design?) their levels. Unfortunately it kinda shows.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

caleb posted:

Roundhouse kicking someone in the face and then picking up the gun they dropped and unloading the clip into them was awesome but the levels were just completely empty. It seemed like they figured out the combat systems and then just had to crunch to get it out without going over budget or something.

I was super excited about it as a Bungie fan back in the day but it was really underwhelming when I actually got a copy of it. I thought it was more like Abuse where Bungie just kind of published it but I could be wrong about that.

It was developed by Bungie but it was basically being made by their B-team (the main team working on what would become Halo), which wasn't a structure that Bungie had done before; usually they just had everyone working on one game (Oni was the only game ever developed by this team). So there were a lot of organizational growing pains and it got even more complicated because the MS buyout happened right around that time too (which also led to some rights issues because Take-Two owned a partial share in Bungie and they got the rights to Oni as part of the buyout deal).

The big problem with the levels is that they made a big deal out of the levels being designed by real architects, but it turns out architects are not level designers, and they also work in CAD which is not your typical level design software, so a ton of work had to be done to make the mediocre levels load into the engine in the first place and also meant that actual experienced level designers would have a very difficult time trying to make them better. Oni had a lot of development hell going on and I still have a soft spot for it, but it's not surprising that it's part of Bungie's back catalogue that nobody has bothered to revisit.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Aug 13, 2020

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

al-azad posted:

It’s probably his best game still. I played through it with SGF’s LP from a few years ago and think it could have been a classic if it got a little more time in the oven. It’s obviously unfinished in a lot of ways.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
https://twitter.com/Sgt_Shivers_/status/1293696224516689922

caleb
Jul 17, 2004

Kamrat posted:

I mean Revolution X is hilarious. Aerosmith isn't "metal" but I found a cart at a pawn shop and played it on my Genesis.

Brutal Legend is a third person open world with cameos from Lemmy and Ozzy.
Brian Gibson did Thumper. Lightning Bolt isn't "metal" but it's loud cool music.
Wasn't the q3 soundtrack Frontline Assembly?
That's all I can think of but I'm sure there are more.

caleb fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 13, 2020

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Halo 2 has songs from Hoobastank, Incubus, and Breaking Benjamin, and has that one bit where Steve Vai is doing a solo over the main theme, what does that count as

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

There was a Genesis pinball game for Motley Crue.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

As someone playing around with it for the first time, the soundtrack in Quake is very very good. If they ever do modern ports, they better include it.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Quake 64 soundtrack is very silly and I still like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLsAdQE-RhY

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Yeah ONI is the go to example for why making spaces in videogames realistic is not a great idea if you are going to do unrealistic things in them.

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
Buckethead v John Romero

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

haveblue posted:

Halo 2 has songs from Hoobastank, Incubus, and Breaking Benjamin, and has that one bit where Steve Vai is doing a solo over the main theme, what does that count as

Ew gross is that part of the MCC? I never noticed it. That’s loving disgusting, do you know if Smash Mouth is also featured haha, what would that sound like, I’m wondering for a friend haha

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

haveblue posted:

Ugh, I early 2000s “Metal” was mostly terrible.

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Ew gross is that part of the MCC? I never noticed it. That’s loving disgusting, do you know if Smash Mouth is also featured haha, what would that sound like, I’m wondering for a friend haha

Yes/No. The guest artists only have their songs play with the original soundtrack, they was substituted for entirely new music in the remastered audio (for reference these tracks are during the banshee chase in The Arbiter, and the mausoleum firefight at the end of Gravemind).
Steve Vai however is an interesting case, he was unofficially in the original Halo2 (in the credits theme and the first section of Quarantine Zone), they somehow managed to get him into the fold without his agent knowing or something like that. However he was brought back officaly for the remastered audio track, where he's used for the same tracks (though maybe in others, I'm not clear on that).

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rocket Pan posted:

Yes/No. The guest artists only have their songs play with the original soundtrack, they was substituted for entirely new music in the remastered audio (for reference these tracks are during the banshee chase in The Arbiter, and the mausoleum firefight at the end of Gravemind).
Steve Vai however is an interesting case, he was unofficially in the original Halo2 (in the credits theme and the first section of Quarantine Zone), they somehow managed to get him into the fold without his agent knowing or something like that. However he was brought back officaly for the remastered audio track, where he's used for the same tracks (though maybe in others, I'm not clear on that).
To add onto this, in the Anniversary Mode the guest tracks are replaced with original tracks by a new guest artist - Misha Mansoor from Periphery. They're alright, I suppose. Inoffensive but forgettable.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it honestly feels insanely wrong playing Gravemind without the dumb breaking benjamin track

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off
Seems like there are a few music-games out there, seems like a very 90's thing.

After hearing about Psycho Circus and that Ed Hunter game back in the day I was always hoping that my favourite bands had video games made for them too, this never happened of course but it's fun to see that there are more of them out there at least. :)

caleb posted:

Wasn't the q3 soundtrack Frontline Assembly?

What the gently caress, not knowing this is pretty shameful since I consider FLA a great band. I should've known.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Collab between Sonic Mayhem and Frontline Asssembly. Sonic Mayhem did Q2 as well as some other bits.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

TTerrible posted:

Collab between Sonic Mayhem and Frontline Asssembly. Sonic Mayhem did Q2 as well as some other bits.
A few things here and there, yeah.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Pffft

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

catlord posted:

Since he's done some real jank poo poo, I hope Civvie does Breed at some point, I've always been curious since I read that CGW review. Especially since apparently there was some publisher fuckery and the version that got reviewed wasn't actually finished, and there was a much better later re-release?

A better re-release eh? I remember playing my disc copy of Breed ages ago and I remember that the AI would just stand completely still and let you shoot them if you weren't pretty close, it was reallllllly broken. And I think the tutorial level had an absurd amount of swearing. Been an eternity since I played.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
efb

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Aug 13, 2020

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
what if they just got sonic mayhem back for the next doom game. and trent reznor. and aubrey hodges. and bobby prince. and chris vrenna. and andrew hulsult. and rob zombie. and bill leeb.

ETPC fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I'm honestly dreading what they do with the next Doom.