Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mush Mushi posted:

How do you all react to thunderheads in the backcountry? There’s no such thing as a safe place if you can’t access a vehicle or building. Once you reach relative safety, off of exposed peaks and away from the tallest objects, do you go about your business and remember that the odds are in your favor? Should behavior change if you see ground strikes? Is it ever worth standing there with your feet together to mitigate exposure to voltage or is that just wishful thinking?

Hike with someone taller than you and keep some space between you and them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

Mush Mushi posted:

How do you all react to thunderheads in the backcountry? There’s no such thing as a safe place if you can’t access a vehicle or building. Once you reach relative safety, off of exposed peaks and away from the tallest objects, do you go about your business and remember that the odds are in your favor? Should behavior change if you see ground strikes? Is it ever worth standing there with your feet together to mitigate exposure to voltage or is that just wishful thinking?

Avoid hiking in Colorado during the mid afternoon summer days. Every single time I've gone to Colorado, thunderstorms like clockwork in the middle of the day.

In reality, here's a good link for lightning safety.

https://www.rei.com/blog/hike/stay-safe-lightning-backcountry-according-meteorologist

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Nitrousoxide posted:

I'm probably looking for a single person tent. The passage one or passage two that you suggested earlier seemed like good potential options.

My plan is to bring a QRP setup along with me for HF operation. So that means, most likely, the radio, a small 12-volt LiFePo battery, folding solar panel, and something about the size of a buddistick for the antenna.

my marmot tungsten 1p was pretty cheap (at least cheaper than that hammock) and has held up nicely over a lot of abuse, rain, and high winds. great ventilation and it's moss green so it blends in perfectly with pretty much anything that's not the desert. I've heard the 2p is also pretty nice.

I'm a tarp guy now, it's just too versatile to deny anymore.

it's about $100 for a DD superlight tarp, and it can be used as a shelter for bivies, hammocks, and made into a really hardy makeshift tent rather easily. paired with a $40 ENO hammock, you're still looking at a durable (and warrantied) shelter setup that together is less than half the cost of that hammock shelter and infinitely more versatile

https://www.ddhammocks.com/product/DD_Superlight_Tarp

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I went gung ho on a tarp a couple years ago after reading about them forever. Got a six moon designs number with all the fixings, a bivy bag/bug net thing so I could sleep without the tarp sometimes, etc. the first couple nights were genuinely awesome, sleeping more exposed with the flaps pulled back was great, and it went up and down really fast.

Then i had to weather a thunderstorm.

Four hours of terror. Water everywhere. What do you know, all the water that falls on the tarp pools and then runs under it!! No bivy bag is comfortable then. There was supposed to be some sort of bathtub floor, but it collapsed with the slightest movement.

I threw that loving thing in the garbage at the trailhead the next evening, after practically running 16 miles out, through more afternoon rain, because I knew it wouldn’t make it another night.

Went back to my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 and slept soundly ever since.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

xzzy posted:

I feel zero need to poo until about five minutes after I start walking. Workin' them glutes works the doody out.

So I park far from the trailhead or do a couple laps while the wife is getting ready to make sure there's no surprises.

Oh dredging this back up because I had an opportunity to use something this last weekend I'd purchased but never had a chance to use until all the park toilets were closed for covid is a camping bidet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L448T4K/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_soEmFbR1K1MTA

Fits over basically any water bottle and works like... well a bidet. For obvious reasons I don't want to use my drinking bottle for it so I bring a roll up bottle like this for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008W0I7RS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JkEmFbAQF1BTG

I don't bother to fill up the bottle before hand and just sacrifice some of my drinking water to it if the need arises. I bring a water filter even on day hikes so not a big deal since I'm not in the desert.

I still bring a bit of toilet paper to dry off, but you could forgo it for leaves or whatever.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I went gung ho on a tarp a couple years ago after reading about them forever. Got a six moon designs number with all the fixings, a bivy bag/bug net thing so I could sleep without the tarp sometimes, etc. the first couple nights were genuinely awesome, sleeping more exposed with the flaps pulled back was great, and it went up and down really fast.

Then i had to weather a thunderstorm.

Four hours of terror. Water everywhere. What do you know, all the water that falls on the tarp pools and then runs under it!! No bivy bag is comfortable then. There was supposed to be some sort of bathtub floor, but it collapsed with the slightest movement.

I threw that loving thing in the garbage at the trailhead the next evening, after practically running 16 miles out, through more afternoon rain, because I knew it wouldn’t make it another night.

Went back to my Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 and slept soundly ever since.

yeah you do need to be more mindful against pitching in place where water won't pool or flow. a more robust bivy bottom and/or groundsheet would have probably helped too

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

Nitrousoxide posted:

Oh dredging this back up because I had an opportunity to use something this last weekend I'd purchased but never had a chance to use until all the park toilets were closed for covid is a camping bidet.

Seconding this. I got the two pack. It's been a game changer.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Theres a new doggo/adventure pet thread!

Updog- Not much what's up with you? Post your adventure dogs/cats/goats etc

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

LordAdakos posted:

Nothing has changed, really.
The North loop is very overgrown with a few washouts and blowdowns.
The South/East loop is only overgrown in parts, but with an equal number of blowdowns and almost no washouts.

Anyhow, here are some pictures.

Very nice. Is that poison ivy I see down there? :420:

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Nitrousoxide posted:

It's better to filter or boil or treat the water your dog is drinking. Obviously it's pretty hard to prevent them from drinking out of any water source they please. But they're as vulnerable to getting parasites as a human is.

I would just make sure that you provide them with a good frequent supply of safe water and don't worry too much if they take a nibble here or there of other water sources.

You do NOT want your dog to get giardia

Trust me, you will never forget that smell

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Mush Mushi posted:

Get below treeline normally, and huddle under a tarp and wait it out

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
Three mountains I've done before

A fun ridge, or so I'm told

The basin was neat

King's and South King's lurking to the south

I'm in the Uintas in Utah, did a 26 mile day hike up Henry Fork Peak. Didn't feel that horrible by the end so that was good

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Very nice. Is that poison ivy I see down there? :420:

Probably! I ended up with it after the hike so it was somewhere. I scrambled a few times, this was like the 3rd worst blowdpwn, so :itisamystery:

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Here's something really rad that I just discovered. It basically lets you line up any map you find whether online or something you take a picture of at the ranger office or along the trail and then after lining up two to four points with the corresponding Google maps locations it will overlay your location onto the map.

The app:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.custommapsapp.android

The explanation of how to use it:

https://youtu.be/qVuQenIzwik

And an example of a map of a nearby park to me

If, for instance, the rangers map had a lot more information about camping locations, restrooms, water fountains, etc you could use this to have a GPS linked map on your phone while you're on the trail.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

A lot of downloadable maps are already georeferenced, if they're offered to you as a "geotiff" or "geopdf" it has the coordinates already baked in and a GIS app such as Avenza will automatically overlay it on the right part of the world. The USFS and BLM are really good about it (assuming you can get their garbage search tools to give you a useful result). State level organizations are less good about it.

Doing it manually with a phone photo is new and really awesome, not trying to take away from that, but just pointing out to take note whenever you see a geotiff link anywhere.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Nitrousoxide posted:

Fits over basically any water bottle and works like... well a bidet. For obvious reasons I don't want to use my drinking bottle for it so I bring a roll up bottle like this for it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008W0I7RS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_JkEmFbAQF1BTG

I don't bother to fill up the bottle before hand and just sacrifice some of my drinking water to it if the need arises. I bring a water filter even on day hikes so not a big deal since I'm not in the desert.

I still bring a bit of toilet paper to dry off, but you could forgo it for leaves or whatever.

If you know someone with a 3D Printer, you can also easily 3D print one of these bidets like this: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4244142

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

lotta hikers not getting enough fiber itt

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I use view/visorando for UK/France. Both give you full access to 1:25000 OS/IGN maps respectively for about €20 a year with an ok interface. If you don't want to pay you can screenshot the maps off Bing/geoportail.gouv.fr and I suppose use the app mentioned above to GPS enable them on your phone. Generally much better quality than park maps on signs!

I particularly like visorando because when you have the ign maps you can switch between them and the openstreetmap version just by changing the zoom slightly. Looking at two versions can be handy when one is out of date/inaccurate

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Hey goons, what do you normally take for food if you're going a) day hiking, or b) camping?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

God Hole posted:

lotta hikers not getting enough fiber itt

on my last big hike i ate [brand] bars every single day, and all of them have dates and nuts as primary ingredients, and i was like a finely engineered swiss clock

PittTheElder posted:

Hey goons, what do you normally take for food if you're going a) day hiking, or b) camping?

make-ahead sandwich for day hiking, probably pb&j, with some snacks and water of course. apple/orange. for camping are you talking car-camping or backpacking?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

PittTheElder posted:

For day hiking I usually bring a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a pickle, chips, something sweet like either fruit or some candy, and a drink of some sort.

That's in addition to the normal trail snacks I might bring like energy bars. I always bring enough unperishable food in case I have to spend an unplanned night out if I somehow get lost or hurt myself and can't get to help.

2l of water is generally enough for me for a 3 to 4 hour hike even in hot summer weather where I'm sweating a ton. But I still bring a water filter just in case I need to fill up some more.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

For day hikes I bring GORP, Honey Stinger stroopwafels, and energy gels. For overnights I bring the above, plus whatever freeze-dried meals look good.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PittTheElder posted:

New Mexico is generally hot as gently caress so I eat a lot of granola bars. No chocolate, and I'll only bring a sandwich if I intend to eat it in the first hour or two, because a hot PB&J is nasty and a hot ham sandwich is... risky.

For longer outings, it's hard to beat a jar of peanut butter and a bag of tortillas. Get good local tortillas, they're way better than Mission etc.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

PittTheElder posted:

Day hiking - fruit leathers or a piece of fruit like an orange or peach or something. Water. A sandwich like a BLT or something, some chips. Jerky or trail mix if I'm not bringing a lunch. I almost always bring a lunch now though. Sometimes I'll bring a soda, beer, or gatorade.

Camping (I assume you mean car camping) - Literally anything that will fit in my 55qt cooler. Freeze things that you don't need to use right away. They will stay cold longer and act as ice for other things to stay cold. Hot dogs/sausages. Burgers. Steak/chicken. Tacos are always easy to make while camping. Sandwich stuff for easy cook-free lunches. Chips. Bread, butter, olive oil, salt/pepper/garlic, marshmallows + pie filling for hobo pies, corn on the cobb and aluminum foil, beans. Potato Salad. Basically just barbecue food. Eggs/bacon for breakfast. Fresh produce goes a long way. Carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms are pretty standard. The worst part about intricate camp cooking is either doing all the prep work for meals up front, or needing all the pots/pans/oils/cutlery/workstation etc. Personally it always works best when people merge resources and use one persons cooler just for drinks, another for food etc.

Backpacking is a whole other beast. Lightweight, calorie dense things that can last several days without refrigeration. Tuna/chicken packets, ramen, noodles/spices, dried soups, dried peanut butter, tortillas, olive oil, cured sausage, big block of cheddar cheese, sports drink mix, instant potatoes, instant stuffing, jerky, fruit leathers, dried fruits, trail mix, candy, oatmeal. Carrots are one of those things that taste incredible on the trail. Having something fresh after days of eating packaged foods goes a long way. You can always go with some dehydrated prepackaged meals like backpacker pantry, mountainhouse etc.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Pham Nuwen posted:

a hot ham sandwich is... risky.
Make it the night before, freeze it, and pack it rolled up inside your spare clothes and/or next to the cold water bladder. I do this with chicken and cheese in tortillas and it's still fine in the evening.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

PittTheElder posted:

PB&J or two, granola bars, fruit bars, tin of herring if its a long hike.

e. making sammaches for tomorrow's field day now in fact!

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Verman posted:

Day hiking - fruit leathers or a piece of fruit like an orange or peach or something. Water. A sandwich like a BLT or something, some chips. Jerky or trail mix if I'm not bringing a lunch. I almost always bring a lunch now though. Sometimes I'll bring a soda, beer, or gatorade.

Camping (I assume you mean car camping) - Literally anything that will fit in my 55qt cooler. Freeze things that you don't need to use right away. They will stay cold longer and act as ice for other things to stay cold. Hot dogs/sausages. Burgers. Steak/chicken. Tacos are always easy to make while camping. Sandwich stuff for easy cook-free lunches. Chips. Bread, butter, olive oil, salt/pepper/garlic, marshmallows + pie filling for hobo pies, corn on the cobb and aluminum foil, beans. Potato Salad. Basically just barbecue food. Eggs/bacon for breakfast. Fresh produce goes a long way. Carrots, lettuce, tomatoes, onions, mushrooms are pretty standard. The worst part about intricate camp cooking is either doing all the prep work for meals up front, or needing all the pots/pans/oils/cutlery/workstation etc. Personally it always works best when people merge resources and use one persons cooler just for drinks, another for food etc.

Backpacking is a whole other beast. Lightweight, calorie dense things that can last several days without refrigeration. Tuna/chicken packets, ramen, noodles/spices, dried soups, dried peanut butter, tortillas, olive oil, cured sausage, big block of cheddar cheese, sports drink mix, instant potatoes, instant stuffing, jerky, fruit leathers, dried fruits, trail mix, candy, oatmeal. Carrots are one of those things that taste incredible on the trail. Having something fresh after days of eating packaged foods goes a long way. You can always go with some dehydrated prepackaged meals like backpacker pantry, mountainhouse etc.

save money by getting Sidekicks, add a tin of tuna or two for extra protein.

Instant coffee for overnights too of course

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Make it the night before, freeze it, and pack it rolled up inside your spare clothes and/or next to the cold water bladder. I do this with chicken and cheese in tortillas and it's still fine in the evening.

That's a good idea! I'll give it a shot next time I'm prepping for a hike and actually have lunchmeat in the house.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Bilirubin posted:

Instant coffee for overnights too of course

Team AeroPress checking in. I used to go so far as to pack a Hario mini grinder, but grinding beans the night before a trip works well enough.

Apparently they now make an AeroPress Go, which looks intriguing.

LordAdakos
Sep 1, 2009
For those of you who don't drink coffee: there are freeze dried single serving tea packets! My favorite is Chai. Something about the spice combination on a cool day is unbeatable.

What about making tea with leaves locally? Iis that more Bushcraft than backpacking though? Something like Pine needles, Sorrell and hot water has worked for me in the past.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Had to cancel a car camping trip this weekend with the kids, due to rain. It would have been our first family trip and it was literally the only thing I have looked forward to in the last eight months.

I'm so beyond bummed right now.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

me your dad posted:

Had to cancel a car camping trip this weekend with the kids, due to rain. It would have been our first family trip and it was literally the only thing I have looked forward to in the last eight months.

That really sucks. Maybe there will be a break in the weather long enough for you all to go have a picnic in a park. It won't be the same, but it would be nice regardless. Better luck next time!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

me your dad posted:

I went family car camping last weekend despite there being thunderstorms in the forecast. Had to drive through torrential rain all the way there but lucked out and had clear skies once we got about 20 min away and the rest of the weekend. I would have been crushed if we hadn't gone, so I feel for you fellow goon.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Coloradans, what's your favorite trail in SW Colorado/San Juans? I've hiked to Ice Lake already, one of the most sublimely beautiful places I've been. What else?

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Coloradans, what's your favorite trail in SW Colorado/San Juans? I've hiked to Ice Lake already, one of the most sublimely beautiful places I've been. What else?

Sneffels and blue lakes were both absolutely rad

pumped up for school
Nov 24, 2010

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I was working in Silverton last month, and headed back in October. I'll put Ice Lake on the list, thanks.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Mush Mushi posted:

Standing with feet together will absolutely help since ground current is the the most common & primary injury mechanism. If you see nearby strikes or any indication of an imminent nearby strike (hairs tingling, corona...), then yes it is a good idea to adopt the lightning position.

But yes, as long as you plan to get down to relatively unobjectionable terrain before afternoon thunderstorms typically develop, I think your risk is pretty low. If possible, it's probably a good idea to descend further than you otherwise might, or modify your route to stay on the leeward side of any mountains.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Crouching down, without lying down and without putting your hands on the ground Will also help to reduce your risk of a lightning strike. Don't lie down and don't put your hands on the ground while crouching because you don't want to increase the number of contact points with the ground as that reduces your resistance to the flow of electricity and makes you a more appealing target.

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
For hiking food I'll bring those giant cookies, those fruit bars, maybe a chia pouch, a pro meal bar, a couple other bars, and those peanut butter filled pretzels.

For camping I'm extremely lazy so I'll just bring an MRE or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Dangerllama posted:

Team AeroPress checking in. I used to go so far as to pack a Hario mini grinder, but grinding beans the night before a trip works well enough.

Apparently they now make an AeroPress Go, which looks intriguing.

I love my Aeropress too but I'm not packing wet grounds out.

Car camping absolutely