Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Armitage posted:

Anyone having all sorts of issues with the app tonight? It freezes when scrolling through forums and refuses to load any threads even if I can click on anything.

It's working okay for me although the forum's CSS has changed minorly.

Edit: I like your avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

Charles posted:

It's working okay for me although the forum's CSS has changed minorly.

Edit: I like your avatar.

Now it's not even loading anything :smith: it crashes after about 20 seconds.

And thank you for liking Mr. Glitch :)

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Armitage posted:

Anyone having all sorts of issues with the app tonight? It freezes when scrolling through forums and refuses to load any threads even if I can click on anything.

I am having the exact same issue.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm looking. It seems like somehow the changed layout is causing Awful to think forums are children of themselves, throwing the app into an infinite loop. Not seeing ATM how these are loaded from the HTML so maybe pokeyman knows what's up before I figure it out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

carry on then posted:

I'm looking. It seems like somehow the changed layout is causing Awful to think forums are children of themselves, throwing the app into an infinite loop. Not seeing ATM how these are loaded from the HTML so maybe pokeyman knows what's up before I figure it out.

That’s weird it’s working perfectly for me.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

MarcusSA posted:

That’s weird it’s working perfectly for me.

The CSS can take a while to propagate I think. But hopefully it won't effect everyone.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Armitage posted:

Now it's not even loading anything :smith: it crashes after about 20 seconds.

And thank you for liking Mr. Glitch :)

MATHMAN
MATHMAN
MATHMAN

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It’s fine for me but I’m a cool guy on the TestFlight beta.

Nietzsche
Mar 13, 2001

f*ck is this newbie avatar

Armitage posted:

Same issues for me.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

It's hitting me on latest master code. For those of you who don't have it, are your page controls on thread lists centered?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Looks like they moved the page navigation into the div Awful scrapes for the forums breadcrumps, leading it to think one of the forums in the parent forum hierarchy is the current forum. I pushed up a quick fix to narrow down the scrape to just the breadcrump span but if they change it again that might have to be updated. If this change to the forums sticks and we push this fix out to people, hopefully the process of updating will dump the CoreData store the scrape results are stored in or people will have to uninstall/reinstall to purge the erroneous data.

e: seems to have been on purpose

astral posted:

Give the CSS a little time to propagate; the mod/ik list will wrap now and the pages div was moved into the breadcrumbs container.

edit for clarity: Until the CSS propagates, it will remain in the wrong place.

I asked for confirmation it'll stay there and if so my fix will be necessary and should be published as an update. All you pokeyman.

carry on then fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 13, 2020

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah mine is completely hosed even after uninstall/ reinstall. I’ll wait until it’s fixed.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Centrist Committee posted:

Is there a way to make it so tapping on videos attached to tweets play inline instead of opening twitters terrible goddamn website?

This works for me™, and unfortunately I'm not sure what Awful can do differently here.

quote:

Is there a way to get a tweet’s url without all the SA referrer bullshit appended?

Other than quoting the post and snagging the URL from there, probably not. It'd be nice to have though, so I'll +1 it on the list!

blaise rascal posted:

Hello all. I want to express my sincere thanks for making such an awesome app!!!! If you all ever start accepting donations, I’d be happy to toss a bit of cash your way.

Appreciate it! It's a team effort and I wouldn't know how to split up donations, but I'm sure your local food bank or similar could use a few bucks :)

rubber cat posted:

I would like to request the FYAD stylesheet be applied to forumid 26 since it is open for the time being (it is currently applied to forumid 666, the defunct replacement FYAD)

Sure! (Maybe too late by now, but oh well.)

Keith Atherton posted:

Not a big issue but if you tap “Your Posts” in a thread you have not posted in you get an error message

Hopefully just a matter of having a message box pop up saying “You have no posts in this thread” instead

That is not a very helpful error message, I'll check it out!

Steve Yun posted:

Is there an option to take someone off your ignore list? I can’t find it and if it’s not there may I request
it

No option at this time, but I'll +1 it on the list.

Charles posted:

I wish it was harder to remove a favorite forum than lightly tapping the gold star. I accidentally remove them a lot as I'm scrolling through and don't see what I deleted.

That's fair enough. It should probably be a slide action thinger.

carry on then posted:

Looks like they moved the page navigation into the div Awful scrapes for the forums breadcrumps, leading it to think one of the forums in the parent forum hierarchy is the current forum. I pushed up a quick fix to narrow down the scrape to just the breadcrump span but if they change it again that might have to be updated. If this change to the forums sticks and we push this fix out to people, hopefully the process of updating will dump the CoreData store the scrape results are stored in or people will have to uninstall/reinstall to purge the erroneous data.

e: seems to have been on purpose

I asked for confirmation it'll stay there and if so my fix will be necessary and should be published as an update. All you pokeyman.

On it!

For what it's worth, Awful doesn't do anything with CSS, just HTML. I know you know that carry on then, just a general fun fact for the thread. (Though there are some things I wanna pull from the CSS someday…)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

This works for me™, and unfortunately I'm not sure what Awful can do differently here.

Other than quoting the post and snagging the URL from there, probably not. It'd be nice to have though, so I'll +1 it on the list!

Appreciate it! It's a team effort and I wouldn't know how to split up donations, but I'm sure your local food bank or similar could use a few bucks :)

Sure! (Maybe too late by now, but oh well.)

That is not a very helpful error message, I'll check it out!

That's fair enough. It should probably be a slide action thinger.

On it!

For what it's worth, Awful doesn't do anything with CSS, just HTML. I know you know that carry on then, just a general fun fact for the thread. (Though there are some things I wanna pull from the CSS someday…)

I've got a fix for a test coming up if you haven't sent out a beta already. I don't _think_ it broke anything to not have this test fix...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

carry on then posted:

I've got a fix for a test coming up if you haven't sent out a beta already. I don't _think_ it broke anything to not have this test fix...

Commit 3e23394 made it in. If there's more to it, happy to stop and rebuild.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

pokeyman posted:

Commit 3e23394 made it in. If there's more to it, happy to stop and rebuild.

Nope, that's the one. Cool.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Steve Yun posted:

Is there an option to take someone off your ignore list? I can’t find it and if it’s not there may I request
it

pokeyman posted:

I'd like to second this +1, with a further suggestion that the "ignore user" button doesn't even belong on the thread view user bubble(?). The other actions in that bubble are "Profile", "Their Posts", "PM", and "Rap Sheet", which are all (mostly) non-destructive, easily reversible actions which immediately Do Something right then and there. But the "Ignore User" action, on the other hand...
• doesn't actually do anything within the Awful app when you execute it (you must reload the thread or go to a new page before you can see the results of your potentially-accidental handiwork of that user's posts being hidden)
• cannot be undone from within Awful; you instead must log into the forums on your browser, navigate around to your ignore list, and then find and delete whoever you just ignored.

So my suggestion is to move the "Ignore User" button to the bottom of a user's profile sheet, same as it is on the forums proper! That's more out of the way and less prone to accidentally selecting it. Also a "Pay Attention To User Again" button there as well would be great.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Thanks y’all for jumping on the weirdness today.
App was working until like 20 minutes ago and by the time I reinstalled and couldn’t fix it looks like you already know the issue.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Was getting the same non responsiveness in the App tonight so I decided to try and reinstall just to find out the app store now won't even let me download the thing on my old piece of poo poo iPhone (4S or something?). Did I just completely screw myself out of being able to use the app at any point on this device?

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Getting continuous crashes when I open the app, so I downloaded the beta version and the same things is happening. Can’t actually read anything, just goes to a blank screen with the blue header. I’m on iOS 13.6 and and iPhone X.

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Getting continuous crashes when I open the app, so I downloaded the beta version and the same things is happening. Can’t actually read anything, just goes to a blank screen with the blue header. I’m on iOS 13.6 and and iPhone X.

Same here on both a iPad Pro and IPhone 11

I was able to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling, but it occurred again within 10-15 minutes and caused the same problem.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Same. Its totally knackered.

Thank you for working on an urgent fix so I can go back to posting pics of the stovetop hotdogs i make.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
yup she's broken

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

TheOrange posted:

Same here on both a iPad Pro and IPhone 11

I was able to fix it by uninstalling and reinstalling, but it occurred again within 10-15 minutes and caused the same problem.

I did the same (delete/reinstall) because I was getting the unresponsive blue bar/black screen (although that’s probably night mode dependant).

Nanomachine Son
Jan 11, 2007

!
One small thing I found is if you long press the app to open a certain forum it’ll at least try to load, but it just seems to refresh then become unresponsive after it’s crashed once already. Weirdly it seems like sometimes it freezes 100% and other times animations for loading will keep playing?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

It either crashes to home screen or opens but the second I open a forum it gets stuck on a loading loop. Opening threads from my bookmarks appeared to work just fine if I could get the app to load at all.

On iOS 13.6.1

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Hey glad I’m not the only one who’s app decided to just give up working. Every time I load the app it just loads a white screen then crashes.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
My Awful app was working fine last night on my old iPad from 2012, but this morning I just got the white screen, followed by a crash.

I can no longer update the iOS past 10.3.3 -- it's just too old. In the last couple of years, I couldn't even download the Instagram or DC Universe apps, and it recently stopped allowing me to access my work e-mail through Outlook in the Mail app. Does this mean the Awful app will no longer be usable?

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just chiming in to repeat that I’m experiencing this crashing too, and as the previous guy my bookmarks works fine, I also have no trouble loading this thread from the settings shortcut

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Feeling pretty smart for literally never using anything but the bookmarks screen :smug:

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.

quidditch it and quit it posted:

Am having the same problem on an iPhone 5S with iOS 12.4.8.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Thought it was just me. iPhone 11 running iOS 13.6.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

iPhone 7 running 13.6 and having the same issue.

abuse culture.
Sep 8, 2004
Not working for me on an iPhone 11 13.3.1. This is the worst day of my life and You WILL be hearing from my lawyer

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Ha, I went over to the forums part of the app to see if it was happening on my device and now everything's FUBAR. That's what I get for trying to be helpful :v:. XS running whatever the next to current version of iOS is. I'll see if the OS update kicks it in the butt enough to get things working again.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
It’s broken till the update makes it through the Apple approval process.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

`Nemesis posted:

It’s broken till the update makes it through the Apple approval process.

:f5:

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Solarin posted:

Was getting the same non responsiveness in the App tonight so I decided to try and reinstall just to find out the app store now won't even let me download the thing on my old piece of poo poo iPhone (4S or something?). Did I just completely screw myself out of being able to use the app at any point on this device?

Probably, but if I was in that situation I would try to restore the phone from a backup. Depending on your iOS version this may be possible without needing a backup made to a computer.

Otherwise you could jailbreak and side load.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
App is non-functional for me too. Top bar and white screen for 20 seconds or so before CTD. No menu. iPhone 8 Plus, 13.6.1.

Please help, I’m being productive at work and I don’t want to set that kind of precedent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
I haven’t had any noticeable issues, iPhone 8, current versions of iOS and the app. :shrug: