Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Riatsala posted:

Is there a good way to decide what kind of workshop to set up in a given city? The income I get from each type seems to be kind of random.

Edit: Also, what determines how much you earn per influence in a mercenary contract? I started with the Vlads at 70 gold per, but it's degraded slowly to 10.

Look at what raw materials are cheap in the city (usually whatever connected villages bring in, but also sometimes what nearby towns bring via caravan) and try to find one that has a high finished good price in that city. Some villages produce things that can't be further refined and are therefor a poor choice for a workshop location. Also note that villages attached to castles take their goods to the nearest faction town so you can't just look at the ones directly attached to the town.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

A good default choice is to put up a brewery in a city that has at least two grain-producing villages.

From what I remember, tanneries can bring in good money as well, as long as the city has at least one village with the raw material involved.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Buy out every shop in town. Convert them to things that don't make money or sense. Then sell the shops.

Do this for the next 3 towns.

Now make what ever you want since the economy is ruined.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

A good default choice is to put up a brewery in a city that has at least two grain-producing villages.

From what I remember, tanneries can bring in good money as well, as long as the city has at least one village with the raw material involved.

I played some of a new game in 1.4.3 and saw that leather was really cheap in the few empire towns I waa running around. They may have adjusted it which might make tanneries not as profitable anymore. Just speculation, I didn't see enough to confirm anything.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Third World Reagan posted:

Buy out every shop in town. Convert them to things that don't make money or sense. Then sell the shops.

Do this for the next 3 towns.

Now make what ever you want since the economy is ruined.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Riatsala posted:

Is there a good way to decide what kind of workshop to set up in a given city? The income I get from each type seems to be kind of random.

Edit: Also, what determines how much you earn per influence in a mercenary contract? I started with the Vlads at 70 gold per, but it's degraded slowly to 10.

Yes. Click on trade in a city. Hover your mouse over the little hammer in the top left corner, above the list of items for sale. That will list the city's villages and the corresponding thing they produce. You want workshops that match what the Villages produce. So if there are three villages, and they produce gain, olives, and horses then you want a brewery and olive press in that city.

Also run the mod v's no workshop limit (I think banner lord tweaks does the same thing but hasn't been updated for 1.4.3 yet).

Finally, the best way to make money is smithing. Looters drop pitchforks and blacksmith hammers, which give more hardwood than they take to break down. Use the resulting charcoal to smelt everything you can. Once you can make any sort of decent javeline, start pumping those out. Javelines require very little resources and sell for obscene amounts.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Do mods work on the beta branch? Is the beta branch at all stable? Haven't played in a couple months so want to see how it's shaping up. Any recommended mods also appreciated.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Hot Diggity! posted:

Do mods work on the beta branch? Is the beta branch at all stable? Haven't played in a couple months so want to see how it's shaping up. Any recommended mods also appreciated.

It's pretty stable (not really any less stable than the stable branch). There are a couple new bugs on the beta branch that aren't in the stable one but nothing game breaking. Most mods work on it. The only mod I use that hasn't been updated yet to work on the current beta is the Community Patch which isn't the most important thing.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

No, capitalism is changing every shop that produces a specific thing to something else, except for one that you own. The AI will never change the production, enjoy your monopoly.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

That'd be the Lake Rats who apparently build fake lighthouses to trick boats into running aground so they can plunder the wreckage. What an extraordinary return on investment! So much wealth creation

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

How'd you find that out? That's some deep lore.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Click on the clan in the Encyclopedia. Sometimes entries are auto generated but most of the big players like clans and kings have stuff written for them.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
The king menaces with spikes of butter.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

7c Nickel posted:

Click on the clan in the Encyclopedia. Sometimes entries are auto generated but most of the big players like clans and kings have stuff written for them.

Yeah, I checked their entry after my little army got wrecked taking on Lake Rats.
(I assumed "Wreckers" would mean slightly upgraded Looters, not dudes with harpoons and armour and shields and swords...)

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wrecking_(shipwreck)

There are lots of stories set in Cornwall, where I live, about wreckers. I remember watching a TV show set in the Isles of Scilly about it :britain:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's part of our heritage, like mining, casually stealing fruit and awkwardly fighting well for the Stuarts.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
I'm really enjoying the previous two avatars emerging to fill us in on Cornwall's rich legacy of piracy.
Come to think of it, grandad said his lot came from Cornwall originally. Either Cornwall is the worst place on earth, or my ancestors weren't aware that life in a lead-mining desert town on the other side of the planet would SUCK.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
recent multiplayer patch seems good. i'm seeing less cheese and better matches generally. still loving Captains mode.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm really enjoying the previous two avatars emerging to fill us in on Cornwall's rich legacy of piracy.
Come to think of it, grandad said his lot came from Cornwall originally. Either Cornwall is the worst place on earth, or my ancestors weren't aware that life in a lead-mining desert town on the other side of the planet would SUCK.

I feel your ancestors really just swapped climes to a place less wet but much more obnoxiously hot.

And ironically now, still has mines.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

SeanBeansShako posted:

And ironically now, still has mines.

"No son of mine will spend his days in back-breaking labour down a mineshaft. We'll seek a new future in Aus- damnit!!"

(Do you guys call sparrows "spoggies"? Various family members claimed this was Cornish slang, but I'm pretty sure it's just the result of high lead levels in the bloodstream.)

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Possibly? we do like spoonerisms and our weird own sort of mild rhyming slang.

On topic, I am wondering when we'll be hearing about the modding tools for this thing now. Hearing that a lot of stuff is easy to do without it is good news so far but this wait.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I think they were just wreckers in the sense that they picked up loot that washed up ashore (like RPG protagonists), not that they constructed their own fake lighthouses or whatever, that seems to have been a myth. According to Wikipedia.

e: that does make sense, you'd have to be huge dicks to lure presumably non-hostile ships to their doom, and I can't see a scenario where it doesn't boomerang back into your face eventually. You probably don't want to antagonize friendly navies when they're the only thing protecting you from hostile pirate raids and slavers.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Aug 11, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Smugglers did enjoy using our coves with lanterns to lure foreign ships or ships that didn't know the coast. Our beaches made collection for said smugglers super easy.

Smuggling was very hard to police as I think the Agents had to work by themselves and police vast swathes of territory against people who quite enjoyed all this cheap sugar and tobacco with militia that was in with the deal.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Aug 11, 2020

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Steam's been recommending this to me, so I tried the Warband demo and I liked it. The demo's all small scale tutorial stuff, and it looks its age, but I can see dumping a few idle weekends into swording dudes.

How early access is Bannerlord right now? Should I just save the 20 bucks and grab Warband instead?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Early. Enough that I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's not already a M&B fan. Warband is still one of the best and most unique games ever anyway so it's a good grab and when you get your fill of the base game there's a huge catalogue of cool mods too.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Early. Enough that I'd hesitate to recommend it to anyone who's not already a M&B fan. Warband is still one of the best and most unique games ever anyway so it's a good grab and when you get your fill of the base game there's a huge catalogue of cool mods too.

The base games really are quite similar though, with the obvious exception of Bannerlord looking a million times better. The ONLY reason to choose Warband over Bannerlord is the availability of overhaul mods.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I saw some youtube videos on Bannerlord and just jumped right in on early access. While I don't regret that I think I might actually buy Warband and play that some since this is still early and beta. It's got kinks and issues to resolve.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

imo the state of bannerlord in early access is a better game than warband. it launched with more features than warband has

it does have part of the early access experience in that patches on the beta branch will randomly introduce new bugs that might break the beta branch until they fix them, and even the stable branch will crash in transitions between menus or between the overworld map and a combat area

there might be mods that make warband a more complete game than bannerlord is now but modding is also for people with the same amount of willingness to have their game randomly break

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Warband only if you wamt to play it on an xps13 or something

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Shear Modulus posted:

imo the state of bannerlord in early access is a better game than warband. it launched with more features than warband has

it does have part of the early access experience in that patches on the beta branch will randomly introduce new bugs that might break the beta branch until they fix them, and even the stable branch will crash in transitions between menus or between the overworld map and a combat area

there might be mods that make warband a more complete game than bannerlord is now but modding is also for people with the same amount of willingness to have their game randomly break

Honestly vanilla Bannerlord is way more likely to randomly break than even the most haphazardly put together Warband mods. Even beta Warband or pre-release original Mount and Blade wasn't nearly as bad. There's some cool stuff in Bannerlord but dealing with all the bullshit became exhausting.

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Gobblecoque posted:

Honestly vanilla Bannerlord is way more likely to randomly break than even the most haphazardly put together Warband mods. Even beta Warband or pre-release original Mount and Blade wasn't nearly as bad. There's some cool stuff in Bannerlord but dealing with all the bullshit became exhausting.

I just have to disagree with this. The economy of a game may break down, or a giant siege battle may break down. Warband games didn't have any meaningful economy, and their sieges were just as likely to break in exactly the same ways. I think all of the Warband is better stuff is purely rose colored glasses.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I'll give Bannerlord a shot, then. Any general tips for starting out?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Crowetron posted:

Go to nexus mods, grab Vortex Mod Manager and go ham. Mods are designed for specific game versions, so look at steam to see the version you are running (1.4.3 is the current newest) and only grab mods that are designed for that version.

It is normal to get a mod setup you like, and then freeze your steam to keep from updating.

I strongly suggest Fire Arrow Enabler. It makes the game significantly better. I also suggest Banner Paste, and that you Google "banner lord banners" to see some of the cool banners that people make. Those are both cosmetic. After that, it's all personal preference.

Also add mods one at a time, as this game will crash if you have an outdated mod or conflicting mods.

Finally, when in doubt, get horse archers.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Crowetron posted:

use bannerlordperks.com, its a site some saint made that specifies which of the level-up perks actually work and which are currently broken

become a mercenary for one of the kingdoms as soon as you can, it's how you beeline to the funnest kind of fights (you can become a mercenary by talking to any noble and picking the dialog option)

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Aug 13, 2020

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Crowetron posted:

N opens the Encyclopedia, there's still no button for it but you can click on people's names and stuff to go those entries too. You can use it to find the location of anything and the last known location of anyone.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Shear Modulus posted:

use bannerlordperks.com, its a site some saint made that specifies which of the level-up perks actually work and which are currently broken

:stare:

I mean, I knew some Perks weren't working, but that many? Amazing and disheartening resource there.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

litany of gulps posted:

I just have to disagree with this. The economy of a game may break down, or a giant siege battle may break down. Warband games didn't have any meaningful economy, and their sieges were just as likely to break in exactly the same ways. I think all of the Warband is better stuff is purely rose colored glasses.

I dunno, i'm loading up warband more often than i'm loading up bannerlord right now. Its got the benefits of old, well maintained mods and kingdom management/poo poo all actually works. I can deal with an economy being basically non existent, its not what I play these games for and it's kind of annoying me that their insistence on "the lords/economy never cheats, they're the same as the player" hasn't really waned much. AI cheats in games for a reason.

Also i've literally never had a siege break in warband, but to be fair bannerlord sieges are much better.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

Coward posted:

:stare:

I mean, I knew some Perks weren't working, but that many? Amazing and disheartening resource there.

They're doing a large overhaul of the systems at some point, so they're not spending much time in getting these working.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Shear Modulus posted:

become a mercenary for one of the kingdoms as soon as you can, it's how you beeline to the funnest kind of fights (you can become a mercenary by talking to any noble and picking the dialog option)

Hahahha I didn't realize this many were broken either. Here I am being all nerdy planning out where I'm putting points and half of it does nothing. No wonder everyone is all saying blacksmithing, charm, leadership, trade, and medicine are the best because they are the most implemented. It also explains why my best party leaders are the ones with high medicine because their troops heal asap between fights (edit: because it actually works).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It says a lot about how tiny the perks actually are that people didn't notice bunches of them being broken as long as they did.