Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Leo really is a knobhead isn't he.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

(Fully expect to get flammed for this but going ahead anyway.)

So full disclosure, I know Barry Ward, I have worked with him and he's an excellent colleague.
I agree with him about not taking lectures from Senator Boylan about how he views the law.
I (and I can only speak to my own experience on this, but I suspect it is the same for Barry) view the law differently to a lay person. But it's not because I am (like Barry) a white, middle class, Male.
I view the law different because as a lawyer it is my job. I have nine years of experience of being in the courts and arguing points of law before Judges.
Barry has been called to the Bar even longer than I have, so I suspect it would be the same for him too.

So of course lawyers are going to view the law differently than lay people will.

Now if Senator Boylan is making some point that people from minority backgrounds are discriminated against in Irish law, again Barry is right to call her out on that. Barristers like Barry spend their careers representing a huge range of people, including many from disadvantaged or minority backgrounds to ensure that they are protected. We take an oath to represent clients "without fear or favour" and that is what happens every day in the courts.
So he is absolutely entitled to call someone out for an unwarranted attack on his credibility.

Now Leo's tweeting about this a week after the fact is weak sauce. And it's further ridiculous that the point he latches onto is the "white, Male and middle-class" part of the argument that Senator Boylan began and not the rest of Barry's substantive rebuttal.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

(Fully expect to get flammed for this but going ahead anyway.)

So full disclosure, I know Barry Ward, I have worked with him and he's an excellent colleague.
I agree with him about not taking lectures from Senator Boylan about how he views the law.
I (and I can only speak to my own experience on this, but I suspect it is the same for Barry) view the law differently to a lay person. But it's not because I am (like Barry) a white, middle class, Male.
I view the law different because as a lawyer it is my job. I have nine years of experience of being in the courts and arguing points of law before Judges.
Barry has been called to the Bar even longer than I have, so I suspect it would be the same for him too.

So of course lawyers are going to view the law differently than lay people will.

Now if Senator Boylan is making some point that people from minority backgrounds are discriminated against in Irish law, again Barry is right to call her out on that. Barristers like Barry spend their careers representing a huge range of people, including many from disadvantaged or minority backgrounds to ensure that they are protected. We take an oath to represent clients "without fear or favour" and that is what happens every day in the courts.
So he is absolutely entitled to call someone out for an unwarranted attack on his credibility.

Now Leo's tweeting about this a week after the fact is weak sauce. And it's further ridiculous that the point he latches onto is the "white, Male and middle-class" part of the argument that Senator Boylan began and not the rest of Barry's substantive rebuttal.

What Barry said was actually fine apart from the whole dog whistle poo poo and sidetrack into how his fee fees got hurt. If he'd just got to the point that landlords are scum and will ignore what they're asking to get put in then you might have a point. If he actually gave a poo poo about the people he represents the bill would be way better than what it is. Also Leo is just a shithead.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
Barry Ward also fraudulently claimed expenses of €10,086 a few years ago while a county councillor. So hes basically one of Leo's "welfare cheats" really.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Leo really is a knobhead isn't he.

yeeeeep

and yet he's apparently quite popular, dont understand it tbh :shrug:

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Mackers posted:

yeeeeep

and yet he's apparently quite popular, dont understand it tbh :shrug:

Ireland is full of knobheads. q.e.d.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

lemonadesweetheart posted:

Ireland is full of knobheads. q.e.d.

speaking as a knobhead, can confirm

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Its remarkable that a personality void like leo has managed to develop an actual cult of personality. Irish people are naive.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mackers posted:

speaking as a knobhead, can confirm

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
All he had to do was not be massively or maliciously incompetent and it worked.

You'd think him wanderin about the streets with his privilege just dangling about freely would have counted against him but I do know a lot of folk who would just shrug and say "least he isn't Trump"

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Southpaugh posted:

Its remarkable that a personality void like leo has managed to develop an actual cult of personality. Irish people are naive.

UK libs on twitter love him too but that's because they are morons with poo poo for brains, op

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

crispix posted:

UK libson twitter love him too but that's because they are morons with poo poo for brains, op

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

Now if Senator Boylan is making some point that people from minority backgrounds are discriminated against in Irish law, again Barry is right to call her out on that. Barristers like Barry spend their careers representing a huge range of people, including many from disadvantaged or minority backgrounds to ensure that they are protected.
How much does it cost to hire you? Now you know why some people will hire you more often than others.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

How much does it cost to hire you? Now you know why some people will hire you more often than others.

I specialize in Criminal work (often defense.) As does Barry.

So we aren't hired so much as assigned under free legal Aid. So if an accused is charged with a crime and doesn't have substantial assets/income, then it wouldn't cost them anything.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/Ross_Shane1/status/1294289271088652289?s=19

please just go away

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

It'll probably be pretty funny if not completely damning .

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Obviously a shameless cash/attention grab on his part but if it brings to light misbehavior of Leo and FG and costs them support then it can only be a good thing for the country.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I'd say it will be the Book version of the speech Father Ted gives when he got the Golden Cleric.

"And now is a chapter I call, Stepaside Garda Station."

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

I specialize in Criminal work (often defense.) As does Barry.

So we aren't hired so much as assigned under free legal Aid. So if an accused is charged with a crime and doesn't have substantial assets/income, then it wouldn't cost them anything.
Cool.

Now do civil law and explain, say, how someone could defend themselves against a John Boyne defamation suit.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Cool.

Now do civil law and explain, say, how someone could defend themselves against a John Boyne defamation suit.

If a solicitor asks me do I practice Civil Law I will tell them I do in the hopes of getting some high paying work to supplement the peanuts I get paid for doing criminal cases.

In actuality, I see 90% of Civil cases as being the purview of cranks, people with too much money, scroungers and weenies.
Like for every person using the State for messing up their cancer screening results, there is someone using a nightclub because they got drunk and fell down the stairs, someone who says that the last referendum was invalid because God wills it or some billionaire who got his feelings hurt by something that someone, somewhere said.

Say what you want about my client who is charges with ten different thefts from Spars, at least he's going to listen to my advice and will probably stop if he is let get onto that drug treatment course. He's not come here demanding that the legal system vindicate their personal opinions on some issue, since that person will never change.

Anyway in answer to your question, find someone who specializes in Defamation Law and take their advice about how to deal with Irish authors who get tetchy over criticism of things said about them on Twitter.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
You seem really reluctant to acknowledge that white middle class dudes are most likely to be those cranks.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

You seem really reluctant to acknowledge that white middle class dudes are most likely to be those cranks.

That's fine when it's them spending their money to take these cases that are going to just suck and die in the High Court/Supreme Court. (Or it would be if they were ever on the hook for costs. Very often the State just realizes it's more trouble than not to chase them for cash. Unless they are a John Waters/5G O'D type who needs to be made an example of.)
And that's almost certainly down to the fact that White, Middle Class people make up the majority of the population, so logically they will be the people making up the majority of court cases that are brought deliberately by litigants. (Unlike with Criminal Cases which are brought by the State and are thus more likely to target specific sections of society.)

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Or it never makes it beyond the person being targeted just folding instantly because they can't even afford someone to tell them if a defense would be plausible.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Arquinsiel posted:

Or it never makes it beyond the person being targeted just folding instantly because they can't even afford someone to tell them if a defense would be plausible.

That's what we have FLAC for, which I have known many people who have donated their time and expertise to.

In fact many solicitors can and will do a "do you have a case, yes/no?" bare bones consultation with prospective clients for free.

The profession is not perfect. But it thankfully hasn't gone the way of other systems (like the US) where it is completely walled off from all but the rich.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

That's what we have FLAC for, which I have known many people who have donated their time and expertise to.

In fact many solicitors can and will do a "do you have a case, yes/no?" bare bones consultation with prospective clients for free.

The profession is not perfect. But it thankfully hasn't gone the way of other systems (like the US) where it is completely walled off from all but the rich.
I will point out that I managed to end up in Belvedere due to their scholarship program and this is still the first time in my entire life I have heard of FLAC. Familial knowledge matters.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I knew of FLAC but I always thought they just take on social cases like divorce and things like that.

I’ve actually been involved some business disputes where I had a contract unhonored and the company going on to be bought out and the guys who screwed me made a lot of money.

I actually consulted with a fellow who works in the legal department of the place I work. And his best advice was go to solicitor but be prepared to spend a lot of money. Or bring the case to a “no fold no fee” solicitor, which isn’t quite legal but is essentially one of those lawyers who only take payment if the case is successful.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-53826957

quote:

Coronavirus: Ireland at 'tipping point' as Covid-19 cases rise

The Republic of Ireland's cabinet has reversed some of its lockdown relaxation measures as it attempts to deal with rising Covid-19 case numbers.

Irish Health Minister Stephen Donnelly said: "We are at a tipping point."

He added that a few weeks ago there were just 61 new reported cases for a seven day period but last week there were 533 cases.

well bollocks. granted its the bbc who make everyone else look bad to make england look good in comparison but those numbers are very poo poo

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Indoor gatherings in houses restricted to 6 people...but indoor gatherings in pubs/restaurants, or of up to 50 people at mass, or at weddings are OK. And obviously no details of the gardai actually being able to enforce these rules - will there be new laws enacted giving them the power to enter private homes, and arrest people inside them if there are more than 6 people? If not, how exactly do they plan to enforce it at all?

I'm not arguing here from a position of being either for or against more lockdowns. But this is just more nonsense from the current government, whereby they try to sound severe, but are afraid to actually be severe. All optics, no substance.

Its the worst of both worlds really, because it creates huge uncertainty for the economy/for businesses in comparison to more relaxation, but it also doesn't actually control the virus the way a proper lockdown would.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Blut posted:

Indoor gatherings in houses restricted to 6 people...but indoor gatherings in pubs/restaurants, or of up to 50 people at mass, or at weddings are OK.

its just loving daft

i'm sure its been said a lot but 90% of those "50" people at mass are some of the at most risk and the other 10% are asyptomatic kids

ah well, second wave then

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
We did so well

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

There was no way we were staying virus free between the border and air traffic coming in from the states. People don't understand the terms "asymptomatic" or "exponential" at all.

Combine that with our piss poor medical infrastructure and neoliberal greed we're going to be looking at a lot of deaths I think. I'm not sure a lockdown will happen again. There appears to be no appetite for it in the Dail. I think the ruling class is willing to accept a couple of thousand corpses at this point.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Southpaugh posted:

There was no way we were staying virus free between the border and air traffic coming in from the states. People don't understand the terms "asymptomatic" or "exponential" at all.

Combine that with our piss poor medical infrastructure and neoliberal greed we're going to be looking at a lot of deaths I think. I'm not sure a lockdown will happen again. There appears to be no appetite for it in the Dail. I think the ruling class is willing to accept a couple of thousand corpses at this point.

I’m not so sure about that.

Like at the start of the pandemic, I would have well believed you.

But after the way that they managed to keep the deaths notably low and how England really ballsed it up, I think that there is an actual political will to keep a narrative of “we are saving lives.”
Like they still haven’t opened the pubs. That alone should show that serious thoughts are going into this.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The pubs aren't really actually closed though are they. Thats just more government grey area/"optics management". In reality I've been out in pubs in Dublin every weekend since the start of July now, with no food in most of them and no time limits in any of them. The only difference from normal is the slightly earlier closing time and no service at the bar/only table service.

The government not only didn't announce more restrictions on pubs this week, they actually pushed the closing time out later. And were too afraid to touch weddings or mass in any way, despite the absolutely glaring contradiction of telling people an indoor gathering of 7 people for a birthday party is unacceptable, but one of 49 people for a mass or wedding is OK. Which does show the government is becoming more wary of public opinion.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

The Question IRL posted:

I’m not so sure about that.

Like at the start of the pandemic, I would have well believed you.

But after the way that they managed to keep the deaths notably low and how England really ballsed it up, I think that there is an actual political will to keep a narrative of “we are saving lives.”
Like they still haven’t opened the pubs. That alone should show that serious thoughts are going into this.

That's very generous of you to assume that all those care home deaths were a balls up by the British government

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blut posted:

The pubs aren't really actually closed though are they. Thats just more government grey area/"optics management". In reality I've been out in pubs in Dublin every weekend since the start of July now, with no food in most of them and no time limits in any of them.

:thumbsup:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
The government are ballsing things up because I'm going to the pub.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
How about we all just don't go to the pub, yeah?

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

How about people stop going into work and everything else and we lockdown again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Arquinsiel posted:

How about we all just don't go to the pub, yeah?

But I need a pint????? How am I supposed to live without the pub???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Shoehead posted:

But I need a pint????? How am I supposed to live without the pub???

Can't be any pint though - need to be able to drink it at the bar otherwise it's basically fascism isn't it