Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
Seconding that if you can get high damage rolls on unique 1Hs they can be insane with a duelist. I had a max roll 1H mace with high AP one shotting undead through their armor with regularity before, and regularly chunking 2-3 a turn w/ berserk and KF.

Otherwise I agree they are better off with 2Hs

Mazz fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Aug 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I guess the other dumb thing you can do with a duellist is actually give one a shield when you're coming up against enemies that like to shieldbreak. Wastes a turn AND makes them hit back harder. Niche as gently caress tho.

Does duellist still work for throwing weapons? That kinda works.

I still think you should be able to take a buckler with it. Those things are only tiny.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Duelist is one of the things that makes throwing bros very killy, that and throwing master gets you plus 45 percent dmg from two hexes away. If something is a big sack of hit points it's very effective.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Scaramouche posted:

Are you guys with all the whips doing like super long multi ending games? I've only seen them drop from goblin overseers, which by the time you came take them are in end game territory. I've also seen one once in a smithy, and I think sometimes cultists start with them.

They aren’t the most common thing around; but they are a standard weapon that should be spawning in weapon shops. I save up 680g right away so that I can always buy one when I see it; even if I don’t have a bro ready to use it. You only need 1-2 of them and I’ve never not been able to get a couple of them in the first 30 days or so.

I have a vague notion that they spawn more often in northern cities but I don’t have any solid evidence.

I don’t think there’s any reason to make a light duelist any more (maybe if you’re doing a dedicated back line whip bro; but I’m leaning more towards not doing that in the next expansion) but heavy duellists are good for single target damage - give one an orc cleaver and watch him melt through dudes. I make one when I get a really good unique cleaver.

Also as mentioned bros with dedicated heavy throwing weapons.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 12, 2020

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I usually forsake brawny for my guys now and take pathfinder almost entirely so that I can do Kraken without savescumming for dry land as much.

Trudging through swamp one tile at a time is miserable.

I find I never get to use the special attacks on my bros though because I have like 40 fat after equipment.

Also on topic of swords, I still find zweihanders the most common tier 3 two handed weapon on enemies, so I often end up with 2 or 3.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

its looking pretty good

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
I mean that does look pretty good but that seems really impractical in terms of cost/prep for a mercenary company. seems like typical bougie cuisine from the southern city-states. what's wrong with oats and strange meat?

rideANDxORdie fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 12, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate
Is there a countdown for the dlc?

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

Is there a countdown for the dlc?

do the rest yourself.

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Strumpie posted:

do the rest yourself.

11 hours from this post, not sure when it went live. 8am PST or so

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

it'll be up in an hour or two. Steam updates are usually 3pm GMT. Read out on steam says unlock about 2 hrs from now which maybe just slightly more than an hour after this post.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I've camped on the 'not buying the DLC till it goes on sale' hill so long I'm going to die on it before there's an actual DLC sale.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I was hoping the other dlc would go on sale in the steam sale but it didn't happen. Shaaaaame

I want to continue making unoptimized builds and crushing weak monsters while sitting out major conflicts that aren't noble wars

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
It’s surprising they wouldn’t before this honestly

stopgap1
Jul 27, 2013
I am normally a buy things on sale kind of guy, this game and this team have my money as soon as I can give it too them. so excited!

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

The game is amazing value at full price. I'd say it would be worth it at double the price. Other games (I'm looking at you civ VI) price their expansions higher than many full games. I've spend 797 hours playing Battle Brothers; it's earned its keep ten times over.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I bought the previous DLCs when they were on sale but never actually played them, so spent the last few days relearning the game in anticipation of the new DLC.

I really like the peasant militia start because I never hire nobles and only use peasants anyway, but does anyone know if I'll be punished for it long term? For instance, because I can field 16 guys at once will the game throw larger units at me than it would otherwise?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Arven posted:

I bought the previous DLCs when they were on sale but never actually played them, so spent the last few days relearning the game in anticipation of the new DLC.

I really like the peasant militia start because I never hire nobles and only use peasants anyway, but does anyone know if I'll be punished for it long term? For instance, because I can field 16 guys at once will the game throw larger units at me than it would otherwise?

Yep, that's the main difficulty scaling mechanic (size of party). The difficulty curve seems pretty linear but it ramps up quicker the bigger a party size that you have.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Peasant militia is one of the strongest lategame origins imo because having 16 men on the field is just so strong, but you have to be careful about your recruits and work hard to make sure your bros aren't that much worse than noble recruits would be. Spreading XP over more bros also means you'll level slower once you've filled out your company, so you want to be careful about that as well.

If you play deep into the lategame you'll be running into pretty much maxed-out groups of enemies no matter how big your company is so those four extra fighters make a huge difference. If you can recruit only the best lowborns you can ultimately make a company that, in the end, is significantly stronger than an equivalent company of 12 from another origin. It just takes some work and careful management to get there.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Game and previous DLC are on sale on GOG.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I ran with 12 until the crisis started and then used the remaining four slots as disposable fodder for running interference to my back line or drawing enemies away from the main fight. It worked pretty well, I think I'll do it again.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
D/Ling blazing deserts on steam now. Preparing to yeet my company into the desert

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Arven posted:

Technically yes, because the game does scale to number of bros in your company (note company; not on the field - remember that even a regular start can have up to 20 guys even if you can only have 12 in the field at a time) but in my experience it definitely balances out in your favour, especially if you're particular about only recruiting the best of the best. The early game can be harder though unless you immediately fire most of your starting crew.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Looking at the free patch changes:

quote:

Added a new player banner as a thank you for your continued support.
Added combat environments reflecting locations where battles take place. Attacking a bandit camp will now have that camp appear in combat, and likewise will a graveyard or some ruins. Locations may have fortifications like walls and palisades, which you'll be informed about in a location's tooltip and the engage dialog.
Added exploration mode, allowing you to start with an entirely undiscovered map.
Added toggleable highlighting of any tiles blocked by environmental objects (such as trees) in combat via button and hotkey.
Added treasure items selling for full value as possible loot for all beasts, old and new, in order to make fighting them a more profitable endeavour.
Added tooltips explaining in more detail beforehand what is expected of the player, and what the expected rewards are, when choosing between ambitions.
Added tavern rumors about situations of nearby settlements, including some hinting at the presence of particular beasts, as well as rumors specific to each of the late game crises, and reduced chance of pure flavor rumors slightly.

Changed 'Nine Lives' perk to also clear any damage over time effects (e.g. bleeding, poisoned) upon triggering, and to give improved defensive stats until the character's next turn.
Changed 'Relentless' perk to also remove the penalty to initiative when waiting with a character.
Changed 'Head Hunter' perk to guarantee a hit to the head for your next attack after hitting the head of your target once. Resets after your hit connects or if you miss your attack.
Changed 'Fearsome' perk to also carry a penalty equal to 20% of the attacker's resolve for each morale check triggered by inflicting damage.
Changed 'Sword Mastery' perk to lower the threshold to inflict injuries with the 'Gash' skill to 50%.
Changed 'Rally' skill to cost 5 action points to use, down from 6.
Changed 'Indomitable' AP cost to 5, up from 3. The previous cost erased too much the choice between going offensive or defensive and allowed you to have the best of both.
Changed 'Adrenaline' skill to cost 1 AP, up from 0.
Changed 'Fast Adaptation' perk to give +10% chance to hit with each miss, up from +8%.
Changed 'Brawny' perk to reduce the fatigue penalty from armor and helmet by 30%, up from 25%.
Changed 'Anticipation' perk to always give a minimum of +10 to Ranged Defense.
Changed 'Knock Back' skill to have a fatigue cost of 20, down from 25.
Changed 'Repel' and 'Hook' skills to have a fatigue cost of 25, down from 30.
Changed 'Split Shield' skill to trigger the 'Overwhelm' effect.
Changed 'Exposed Ribs', 'Stabbed Guts', 'Grazed Kidney', 'Deep Chest Cut' and 'Deep Abdominal Cut' injuries to have more of an effect, including reducing hitpoints of the victim to certain thresholds if currently above. In essence, those injuries are now a bit more useful for the player to inflict upon enemies, and both the 'Crippling Strikes' perk and the 'Gash' skill were indirectly buffed this way.
Changed Ranged Defense levelups to range from 2-4, up from 1-3. Only affects characters generated after this update.
Changed damage of Scimitar to 40-45, up from 35-45, and increased efficiency vs. armor to 70%.
Changed damage of Three-Headed Flail to 30-75, up from 21-66.
Changed damage of Billhook to 55-85, down from 60-90, and efficiency vs. armor of 140%, down from 150%.
Changed efficiency vs. armor of Polehammer to 185%, up from 175%.
Changed damage of Reinforced Boondock Bow to 30-50, up from 25-40.
Changed damage of Heavy Javelin to 35-50, down from 40-55.
Changed damage of Heavy Throwing Axe to 30-50, down from 35-55.
Changed Living Tree Shield to regenerate by 10% of maximum durability each turn.
Changed Undead Trophy to double the wearer's resolve when defending against fear and mind control skills, and no longer grant complete immunity.
Changed surrounding mechanics to no longer count stunned characters, or characters armed with ranged weapons, towards the surround bonus.
Changed zone of control mechanics for actors that are stunned or without skills to actually perform attacks of opportunity (like if armed with a ranged weapon) to no longer exert zones of control.
Changed 'Dazed' status effect to -25% damage, -25% initiative and -25% max fatigue, down from -35% of each.
Changed 'Charmed' status effect to make the afflicted immune to some morale effects, as to avoid odd situations of characters fleeing after the charm has worn off.
Changed 'Sleeping' status effect to last for 3 turns, up from 2. It still can be removed at any time using the 'Wake Up' skill.
Changed 'Cat Potion' to be used on the worldmap and give a +20 bonus to Initiative for the duration of the next battle.
Changed 'Lionheart Potion' to be used on the worldmap and give a +20 bonus to Resolve for the duration of the next battle.
Changed 'Iron Will Potion' to be used on the worldmap and give the same effect as before for the duration of the next battle.
Changed 'Night Vision Elixir' to be used on the worldmap and give the same effect as before for the duration of the next battle.
Changed 'Second Wind Potion' to be used on the worldmap and give +4 to Fatigue recovery for the duration of the next battle.
Changed 'Berserker Mushrooms' to be used on the worldmap and give a +25% bonus to damage in melee, and reduce both melee and ranged defense by -15 for the duration of the next battle. Using these no longer carries an additional risk of getting sick, but characters still risk getting sick/addicted from taking too many potions of any kind at once.
Changed 'Antidote' to also give immunity to poison for the duration of 3 turns after use.
Changed Geists to no longer have the 'Anticipation' perk, but instead have a perk of their own that increases both their Melee and Ranged Defense by small amounts the further away an attacker is.
Changed the tails of Lindwurms to also exert a zone of control.
Changed 'Trade Caravan' origin to only receive 66% of all renown, up from 50%.
Changed starting renown of some other existing origins to better work with the new Retinue feature.
Changed targeting icons for AoE skills to also show up on empty tiles as to give a better idea of the area those skills can cover.
Changed hotkey for showing/hiding footprints on the worldmap to the 'F' key, as to avoid players accidentally hiding footprints by pressing the 'Tab' key while switching between applications.

I know some of the perks have been discussed already, but there's some nice QoL stuff and some balance changes to a few weapons that are interesting. Also beast trophies being worth more money is a welcome change.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Arven posted:

I ran with 12 until the crisis started and then used the remaining four slots as disposable fodder for running interference to my back line or drawing enemies away from the main fight. It worked pretty well, I think I'll do it again.

Now if you run a southern company you can use slaves for that and your men won't give a poo poo when they eventually bite it, so it'll be even more effective.

"Changed the tails of Lindwurms to also exert a zone of control."

In theory this won't change much, but i fully expect this to loving destroy me the next time i go up against one.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 13, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

looks like at some point since I last played they also nerfed iron lungs again, it only gives +3 fatigue recovery now.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Good start to the new DLC so far, no in-game menus display for me at all so it's totally broken.

Can't enter towns, can't open party window. :iiam:

Fellblade fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Aug 13, 2020

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

The Lord Bude posted:

looks like at some point since I last played they also nerfed iron lungs again, it only gives +3 fatigue recovery now.

In nearly 200 hours I don't think I found a single bro that had iron lungs in the wild. I only ever saw it on seeded starts or mod-game special bros.

I like the changes as a whole, though some of them are worrying. Buff to the stronger goblin bow? No thank you. Buffs to RDef gain? Thank you very much!

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Fellblade posted:

Good start to the new DLC so far, no in-game menus display for me at all so it's totally broken.

Can't enter towns, can't open party window. :iiam:

I had to disable all my mods to even start the game.

Moonshine Rhyme posted:

In nearly 200 hours I don't think I found a single bro that had iron lungs in the wild. I only ever saw it on seeded starts or mod-game special bros.

I like the changes as a whole, though some of them are worrying. Buff to the stronger goblin bow? No thank you. Buffs to RDef gain? Thank you very much!

I started with an Iron lungs gladiator in my first game :D

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Anyone looking to play peasants; 5555555555 is a good seed. 6 of the starting bros are keepers - 2 of them ranged; one an acceptable sergeant - Maybe an offsergeant. Map seems nice as well.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The “unexplored map” option seems like it might be fun! As long as they give you an idea where to go for camp-clearing missions

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
And so it begins again, the hunt for good map seeds.

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019
In other news. Yes, nomad outlaws do indeed kick rear end in the early game. RIP first band of gladiators :hist101:

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

In other news. Yes, nomad outlaws do indeed kick rear end in the early game. RIP first band of gladiators :hist101:

Yeah same. First time I ventured too far outside my starting city I got wrecked by a mere six nomads, since two of them had whips and disarmed two of my three gladiators every single turn, and two others had 2-handed cleavers. Robbed of my weapons constantly, I tried to punch them and then everyone bled to death, RIP.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Just FYI looks like we gotta delete all mods to get this baby up and running. At least I did

New page? New map seed website plug! Submit and find new seeds:
https://bb.frukso.se/

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

rideANDxORdie posted:

Just FYI looks like we gotta delete all mods to get this baby up and running. At least I did

New page? New map seed website plug! Submit and find new seeds:
https://bb.frukso.se/

I would have thought that would be obvious - mods can't have been updated to support the new expansion yet.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

TheBeardyCleaver posted:

I had to disable all my mods to even start the game.

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still didn’t work. :(

TheBeardyCleaver
Jan 9, 2019

Fellblade posted:

I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still didn’t work. :(

Check that the mods actually are all gone though. Steam uninstall may not delete everything.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Yep, I uninstalled and reinstalled to try and get a clean install but still had a few .zips sitting in the game directory. Once those were gone I was good to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
Seems like I had some left over as well, so anybody having the same issue give that a go.