Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

darkwasthenight posted:

Saw the frozen goods theory, yeah. I haven't seen anything on how long it can remain infectious at that kind of temp but surely that stuff must have been in transit for days if not weeks?

And at every step along the way it was being transferred by human hands. Plus yeah virus can last a while in cold storage (really cold will kill it, but normal cold storage Temps usually wont)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
this is the third time i've heard of that frozen foods have been a source of infection.

China Says Frozen Chicken Wings from Brazil Test Positive for Virus

quote:

Consumers in the Chinese city of Shenzhen have been urged to exercise caution when buying imported frozen food after a surface sample of chicken wings from Brazil tested positive for coronavirus, according to a statement from the local government.

The positive sample appears to have been taken from the surface of the meat, while previously reported positive cases from other Chinese cities have been from the surface of packaging on imported frozen seafood.

Three packaging samples of imported frozen seafood tested positive for Covid-19 in Yantai, a northern city of Shandong province, the city government said on its official Weibo account Tuesday. State television Wednesday reported that the outside of an Ecuador frozen shrimp package tested positive for the virus in a restaurant in Wuhu, a city in China’s Anhui province. Packaging on Ecuador shrimps has also tested positive in Xi’an, state television said Thursday.

It definitely seems to be a thing that happens.

HerStuddMuffin
Aug 10, 2014

YOSPOS
What’s so special about frozen surfaces that the virus readily transmits to and from them, whereas surfaces at room temperature don’t seem to play any significant role in transmission? Is it a matter of the surface transmission being normally a minor factor when compared to cough-in-your-face transmission, and only becomes noticeable when there is no human to human contact?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

I would be more likely to believe it came with the people moving the frozen items across borders than it clinging to the frozen items themselves.

Correlation not implying causation and all

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
Note that one of the cases had live virus on the chicken itself, not the packaging.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

HerStuddMuffin posted:

What’s so special about frozen surfaces that the virus readily transmits to and from them, whereas surfaces at room temperature don’t seem to play any significant role in transmission? Is it a matter of the surface transmission being normally a minor factor when compared to cough-in-your-face transmission, and only becomes noticeable when there is no human to human contact?

Low temperatures slow down all sorts of chemical and biological processes, including some of the ones that would normally cause virions to degrade and become non-viable. If a room-temperature surface still has viable virus on it, then airborne droplets will still contain viable virus, so if you're in a position to touch the surface you've probably already breathed it in. That's not true if the surface is cold enough to preserve the virus for longer.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Lol if Brazil is sending some roni back to China

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Our government (Finland) continues to be a bunch of spineless wimps. They have now given a "recommendation" to wear a mask in public spaces throughout the country. It's not mandatory, they just think you should do so.

Much like every other recommendation, it is going to have zero loving effect. I was out and about today and saw two masks (one in the mirror), and I'm sure I won't see too many more tomorrow.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

they were right about people not knowing how to properly wear masks though. half the people i see dont realize it goes over your nose too. or they dont like to do it.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Mulaney Power Move posted:

they were right about people not knowing how to properly wear masks though. half the people i see dont realize it goes over your nose too. or they dont like to do it.

Maybe they were shopping at 7-Eleven? :shrug:

https://twitter.com/7ElevenAus/status/1293745623313784834

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/Rschooley/status/1293575356578816000

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

I think the issue with coronavirus on the surface of Frozen foods, is not as big as a problem as it sounds, initially. You can't get covid-19, by eating it. Enzymes, acids, and general lack of receptors in the digestive tract make it pretty much impossible. There's never been a confirmed case of coronavirus transmission by food consumption.

Still, you can always get it on your hands, and then spread it around, but one would hope after touching raw chicken, you're going to wash your drat hands, anyway.

on a separate note, I live in a college town in Connecticut, and it looks like we're raring up for a huge Spike and transmissions. UConn is doing everything it can, it seems, including a mandatory Quarantine for 2 weeks, and mandatory testing... But I cannot imagine they're not going to get a spike.

whereas before, I had no problem going out to get takeout, or even go to the grocery store, with all those new students there, it sounds increasingly dicey. I've taken to wearing a k n95 mask with a cloth mask over it, but I'm scared that too many people with uncertain health are going to be in the area. Looks like I'm going back to crappy instacart orders, for the next two months.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why are people going to school in early august anyway

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
lol, "safety and security"

Touching their face and then of course touching stuff in the store, which, if they're infected, is a great way to spread covid face-juices.

Isn't facial recognition also horribly flawed anyway?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1293917275829960704

Zugzwang posted:

Isn't facial recognition also horribly flawed anyway?
in a performance sense by way of being unable to recognize black people accurately

in a moral sense entirely

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

null_pointer posted:

I think the issue with coronavirus on the surface of Frozen foods, is not as big as a problem as it sounds, initially. You can't get covid-19, by eating it. Enzymes, acids, and general lack of receptors in the digestive tract make it pretty much impossible. There's never been a confirmed case of coronavirus transmission by food consumption.

cite your sources

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Polio Vax Scene posted:

cite your sources

Okie dokie. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/daily-life-coping/food-and-COVID-19.html

unpacked robinhood posted:

Why are people going to school in early august anyway

everyone is quarantined in their room, or outside only, for 3 days. They could test it on the first day, quarantine until they get the results back. It seems about as smart as you can do it, while still doing something dumb.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

null_pointer posted:

Breathing and eating share a tube.

Lots of stuff hasn’t been confirmed because this pandemic isn’t unfolding in a glove box. There are confounding variables everywhere.

Is food as significant a vector as air? Clearly not. Is it more significant than doorknobs and keypads? Maybe.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

yeah, maybe I shouldn't be as comfortable with eating food, as I should be... There are some things that I just have to let go, otherwise I'm going to go completely insane. Going out to get a goddamn veggie wrap, or Dunkin Donuts, is one of the few times I can actually get out of the house.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Couldn't get a pic or video while driving but the main road leading to our hospital has the sides all filled up with huge middle aged diabetic white women brandishing giant "COVID HOAX" and "VIRUS GOVERNMENT CONTROL" etc etc. Looks like its finally broken people even near Chicago.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Fenarisk posted:

the main road leading to our hospital has the sides all filled up with huge middle aged diabetic white women brandishing giant "COVID HOAX" and "VIRUS GOVERNMENT CONTROL" etc etc.

This rules lmao

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e nvm

unpacked robinhood fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 13, 2020

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

This is uhhhh I'm not a scientist but this seems like really bad news

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Another Bill posted:

This is uhhhh I'm not a scientist but this seems like really bad news

it's really not really news, it was clear since February.

it's just not being communicated by people in powers because the implications cripple the economy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I mean, loving Brian Kemp learned about the role of asymptomatic carriers on the second of April, and 14/80 isn’t that far off the 20/80 rule.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
people are at their most infectious right before and after they start feeling symptoms (if they are not asymptomatic) so this is fairly predictable, but yes i don't think people have really understood it yet

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

I'm currently seeing that asymptomatic and pre-symptomatic transmission demonstrated right now. Working a job where we have daily screening for symptoms before work, most everyone is wearing KN95's all day, people are distancing, most of us get tested 3 times per week and others every day and the positives are still trickling in. All it takes is one person to get it and be slightly lax about ppe.

gently caress 2020 gently caress covid

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Mozi posted:

people are at their most infectious right before and after they start feeling symptoms (if they are not asymptomatic) so this is fairly predictable, but yes i don't think people have really understood it yet

Up where I am in Toronto they're calling for at home self evaluations by parents before you send your kids to school.

This seems to indicate that these are largely useless in controlling the spread, nevermind all the parents who will send their kids to school sick anyways because the virus isn't real / its just the flu bro / I have an important meeting at work today.

I'm so glad we're remote learning our kids this year.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Der Shovel posted:

Our government (Finland) continues to be a bunch of spineless wimps. They have now given a "recommendation" to wear a mask in public spaces throughout the country. It's not mandatory, they just think you should do so.

Much like every other recommendation, it is going to have zero loving effect. I was out and about today and saw two masks (one in the mirror), and I'm sure I won't see too many more tomorrow.

Lol you're still leaps and bounds ahead of us in the U.S. because our president is a manchild who has soupbrained supporters wielding positions of power

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Another Bill posted:

Up where I am in Toronto they're calling for at home self evaluations by parents before you send your kids to school.

“Hmm, let’s see.”

“Yup, my kid still has a human body susceptible to the pestilence stalking the land.”

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Platystemon posted:

Breathing and eating share a tube.

Lots of stuff hasn’t been confirmed because this pandemic isn’t unfolding in a glove box. There are confounding variables everywhere.

Is food as significant a vector as air? Clearly not. Is it more significant than doorknobs and keypads? Maybe.
Most frozen foods get cooked before you eat them, though I could see something like frozen peas transferring viral water to your hands and not washing after since it’s not usually considered dirty.

Still seems like low odds, but they’d still want to monitor and tamp down ways the virus gets into otherwise clean countries. 1/1,000,000 odds is low for an individual until you take 1,000,000 dice rolls across a country.

Mithaldu posted:

it's just not being communicated by people in powers because the implications cripple the economy
We assumed it worked that way since that’s usually how colds and flus transmit too, this just verifies it for corona specifically.

I thought viruses working this way was common knowledge but douchebags refusing to wear masks because “I don’t feel sick” keep proving me wrong.

Spandex Bonerlord
Sep 30, 2014

Mithaldu posted:

Ahh yes, crippling the economy through mandatory mask-wearing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Spandex Bonerlord posted:

Ahh yes, crippling the economy through mandatory mask-wearing.

It's not the masks, it's the paranoia over the fact that literally everyone around you can spread it to you without warning and you can spread it to others in ignorance. That kind of cripples consumer purchases because no one wants to go out and buy things, go into indoor spaces with others, or even be around others period. So people spend less money and a LOT of businesses fail. For example, the food industry is suffering right now even with the mass stupidity in America.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Der Shovel posted:

Well, at least they managed to say the parts "you should wear a mask in public transportation" and "you should wear a mask when you cannot be certain that you can keep the 2m distance".

This was actually more than what I was expecting from them.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Yaaaaaay Blockbuster "sleepover"!

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/445771...10078&irparam1=

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

Gotta be a resident of deschutes county though so it doesn't exactly sound that appealing as you can already go there normally and why bother paying to go sit in the blockbuster and watch a movie instead of your own place.

Stanky Bean
Dec 30, 2004

it is pretty weird going in there though. cheapest form of time travel there is, then you can go next door to papa Murphy's and get a take and bake

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Der Kyhe posted:

"you should wear a mask when you cannot be certain that you can keep the 2m distance".

God knows just having people say this isn't a given right now but I see this everywhere and it drives me batty. Let me rephrase it with different preventive measures:

"you should wear a condom when you cannot be certain that your partner is on birth control"

It's ludicrous. You can do both! There is nothing stopping you from doing both whenever possible and everyone is safer for it! It's not an either or thing! :rant:

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

God knows just having people say this isn't a given right now but I see this everywhere and it drives me batty. Let me rephrase it with different preventive measures:

"you should wear a condom when you cannot be certain that your partner is on birth control"

It's ludicrous. You can do both! There is nothing stopping you from doing both whenever possible and everyone is safer for it! It's not an either or thing! :rant:

Lets put it this way: it allows schools and universities to enforce mask rules because you cannot be certain that people are, in fact, always at least 2m from you in the classrooms and laboratories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Fitting that they're all wearing black, since they will be bringing death to others.