Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cooked Auto posted:

Still nice that they seem to be removing a lot of the stat differences between normal marines and primaris and obiously want to see them used together.

Remake of Stepbrothers starring a firstborn and a primaris marine as will ferrell and john c reilly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harkano
Jun 5, 2005

Kitchner posted:

They are, but the "Fast Attack" symbol isn't actually "Fast Attack". It's "Close Range Support" or something, and doesn't automatically align with the detachment chart.

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh ok. That's still going to annoy the piss out of me.

I think I'm still going to put Tactical arrows on mine. They aren't the boss of my (codex compliant) chapter!

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Harkano posted:

I think I'm still going to put Tactical arrows on mine. They aren't the boss of my (codex compliant) chapter!

On the one hand, this; on the other hand, I'm running low on red tactical arrows and don't really use the fast attack ones.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Harkano posted:

Tell that to Big Blue's face

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

xtothez posted:

More upgraded stats for space marines; the extra wound seems to be for all vets and regular boltguns get 30" range like primaris ones.

I really hope they're gonna do this for everyone or it's going to be really confusing if one faction is getting totally different stats on weapons also used by a bunch of other codexes.

I wonder if they're just gonna give +1 wound to all infantry units. It would go against their "speed up the game" ideal for 9e, but maybe the weapon buffs help balance that out. Would reduce the number of first/second turn blow-outs, where your squads just get destroyed by bad dice rolls; but also make trash units much better at holding objectives.

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Desfore posted:

I wonder if they're just gonna give +1 wound to all infantry units. It would go against their "speed up the game" ideal for 9e, but maybe the weapon buffs help balance that out. Would reduce the number of first/second turn blow-outs, where your squads just get destroyed by bad dice rolls; but also make trash units much better at holding objectives.

2W Guardsmen would be very weird

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I haven't been super diligent on watching 9E battle reports, but from what I hear whoever goes first seems to have a much higher win rate, so maybe it's being done to make Player 2 actually able to respond a little better and actually have some dudes remaining to hobble their way over to the objective?

~All~ Intantry would probably be too much, IMO, but I've always felt like dudes in power armor shouldn't die to the same amount of Damage as your crummy single-point-cost chumps :shrug:

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
drat, Amazon canceled my order for the start collecting vanguard space marine box due to lack of supplies. That is probably for the best.

Gives me an excuse to instead buy a Tzaangor Shaman to give me three elites so I can bring a battalion and vanguard detachment to allow me to bring all my dirty HQ psykers in one list.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Looks like Necrons are getting some upgrades as well, does give some credence to everyone else getting it and not just Marines. But I guess the real proof in the pudding will be when we see reboxed Eldar or some other army.

Edit:
Speaking of which.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/08/13/new-boxes-new-rules-new-codexes/

So Chaos Marines will also get 2 wounds if I'm reading this thing right.

Cooked Auto fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Aug 13, 2020

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

All Marines get 2 wounds, everyone who uses boltguns, multimeltas, flamers etc. gets the new profiles, could be interesting

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

quote:

“Drive me closer! I want to shoot at them from within short range with these multi-meltas.”

:golfclap:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
this is good because even if stuff changed I felt like the 8e arsenal was still way too beholden to how poo poo worked in earlier editions.

Its not "lower the range of most things by at least 1/4" but I'll take this too.

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013
This is very amazing news for everyone not being a guardsman and carrying a flashlight. Heavy Bolters are back on the menu as well.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

quote:

Supercharged plasma weaponry will soon only ever overheat on an unmodified roll of a 1

So... does this mean now I’m free to shoot my Captain-hugged hellblasters at units that give me -1 to hit, and to do so without worry?

Werix
Sep 13, 2012

#acolyte GM of 2013
Man, that is all super great news for my favorite dusty bois. Two wound rubrics with two damage warpfire bolters AND 12" on their warp flamers are nice. Also leads me to believe those 3 wounds on terminators will come to scarab occult too

However, now that more weapons have 2 damage, that makes All is Dust rule less effective unless that gets changed in a future codex.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

OhDearGodNo posted:

So... does this mean now I’m free to shoot my Captain-hugged hellblasters at units that give me -1 to hit, and to do so without worry?

Well I mean you can still roll two 1s.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Sab669 posted:

I haven't been super diligent on watching 9E battle reports, but from what I hear whoever goes first seems to have a much higher win rate , so maybe it's being done to make Player 2 actually able to respond a little better and actually have some dudes remaining to hobble their way over to the objective?

~All~ Intantry would probably be too much, IMO, but I've always felt like dudes in power armor shouldn't die to the same amount of Damage as your crummy single-point-cost chumps :shrug:

Not really. Just like in most every edition, if you don't play with enough terrain and you're up against a super shooty army you're in trouble. However, the new terrain rules have really made being shot off the table much less of a thing (provided terrain is being used). If anything, the going first advantage is now because you're able to get a transport on the objectives and sit on them, making your opponent have to take them from you.

Anyway. Damage 2 heavy bolters is pretty nice. Maybe it'll even make the centurions worth their currently insane price. The way they talk about the 'astartes-grade chainswords' makes me think that other chainswords may not get the -1. I don't think it's a big deal either way. It's mainly assault marines and assault intercessors it's really interesting for. Seems like the main thing differentiating assault intercessors from assault squads will be troop choice and 1 extra attack.

My poor boyz though. I guess they'll have their 1 wound until 2 years from now when their codex finally comes out.

Generally speaking it feels a little weird that they're gonna SUPER-power space marines (and I guess necrons) and all their guns and then the rest of the factions are just kinda hosed until their codex comes. Whenever that might be. I feel like a better solution would be to do a reprise of full index-style rollout (imperium, xenos, chaos etc) with some basic upgrades and changes just to try and keep some semblance of balance.

e: vvv it's the law!

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Aug 13, 2020

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
Ork boyz on 32mm bases. yea or nae?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Not really. Just like in most every edition, if you don't play with enough terrain and you're up against a super shooty army you're in trouble. However, the new terrain rules have really made being shot off the table much less of a thing (provided terrain is being used). If anything, the going first advantage is now because you're able to get a transport on the objectives and sit on them, making your opponent have to take them from you.

Anyway. Damage 2 heavy bolters is pretty nice. Maybe it'll even make the centurions worth their currently insane price. The way they talk about the 'astartes-grade chainswords' makes me think that other chainswords may not get the -1. I don't think it's a big deal either way. It's mainly assault marines and assault intercessors it's really interesting for. Seems like the main thing differentiating assault intercessors from assault squads will be troop choice and 1 extra attack.

My poor boyz though. I guess they'll have their 1 wound until 2 years from now when their codex finally comes out.

Generally speaking it feels a little weird that they're gonna SUPER-power space marines (and I guess necrons) and all their guns and then the rest of the factions are just kinda hosed until their codex comes. Whenever that might be. I feel like a better solution would be to do a reprise of full index-style rollout (imperium, xenos, chaos etc) with some basic upgrades and changes just to try and keep some semblance of balance.

e: vvv it's the law!

Sounds like space marines are getting even more expensive so maybe the old codexes will have cheaper units to "balance" them until they get a new book

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
You guys think non-codex marines like DA and SW are gonna get buff small marines?

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

JackMann posted:

Finished painting up my first set of eradicators. I experimented a bit with using contrast paints for muzzle burn. It ended up not too terribly, though it was pretty crap looking until I drybrushed some metal on to help smooth the transitions.

Putting those magnetic boots to good use I see.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006

Bucnasti posted:

Ork boyz on 32mm bases. yea or nae?

The new kits already have them from orktober so yes

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Spanish Manlove posted:

You guys think non-codex marines like DA and SW are gonna get buff small marines?

Werent all loyalist marines getting combined into one book?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

AnEdgelord posted:

God I hope

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah, definitely. They'll also probably forget one of the factions and those players have to roll their eyes and sigh every time they remove a model until their own book comes out. That's they way it usually goes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I have quite a few space wolves small marines and was thinking of making a side army once I get the Tau all painting. Also with how covid's going it's a plan to basically play against myself on my own coffee table

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

AnEdgelord posted:

Everyone but the Grey Knights. The Blood Angels, Dark Angels, Space Wolves, and Deathwatch are getting folded into the core Codex Space Marines and will be getting minidexes for their exclusive stuff the way the Ultramarines, White Scars, Raven Guard, Iron Hands, Imperial Fists, and Salamanders did in late 8th.

Grey Knights will get their own codex as usual.

GoLambo
Apr 11, 2006
okay but what about the Black Templars?

...guys?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Looks like I'm playing a socially distanced game of 9th this weekend! My White Scars vs Sororitas or Death Guard, 100PL. I've never used a Primaris Chaplain; should I drop my Librarian to fit one in?

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

GoLambo posted:

okay but what about the Black Templars?

...guys?

They're probably counting Faith and Fury as their equivalent 8th supplement.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Buying F&F would be a dumb move now, right?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

moths posted:

Buying F&F would be a dumb move now, right?

GW claimed that the psychic awakening supplements are 9th compatible

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I mean they are, in the same way the 8e codexes are. But will that last beyond October when the new Marines book hits?

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
Really surprised they are going to update all imperial weapons at the same time as the SM codex, it seems like if you're not playing Imperial or Necrons you're getting shafted a bit.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Kitchner posted:

Really surprised they are going to update all imperial weapons at the same time as the SM codex, it seems like if you're not playing Imperial or Necrons you're getting shafted a bit.

It never ceases to delight me that time is a flat circle and that this point comes up after every single new development ever. Now, as always: oh well. Having a release cycle is going to keep happening, that's not going to change, make your peace with it.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Do we have any stats on normal tac/assault/devastator marines? I'm kind of wondering if all small marines are going to be veterans from here on out.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Strobe posted:

It never ceases to delight me that time is a flat circle and that this point comes up after every single new development ever. Now, as always: oh well. Having a release cycle is going to keep happening, that's not going to change, make your peace with it.

It never ceases to delight me that people don't realize that things can be done differently than they have been. It's not just "well, there are release cycles, so guess we're stuck with sucking poo poo forever". You can lean into the power creepy/flux of the cyclic nature of the releases, or you can try to mitigate it. You'd have to be a complete and utter moron to think that the release cycles have been equally bad and unbalanced throughout the editions (that's not to say they've ever been really good obviously).

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

Clapping Larry
I think there's a big difference between "this one army has had a new codex and they are, naturally, flavour of the moment and the current big dicks" and "we have updated pretty much all the imperial faction guns, chaos marine guns etc and the Necrons, and everyone else has to wait".

If you're an Eldar player or an Ork player or a T'au player or something you're going to see like 80% of other players get a boost while you trail behind.

I guess it could be fine if after October the next codices are basically all xenos and they come pretty fast.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Would buying a Necron Codex (to use for the stuff in Indomitus plus potential add-ons) be dumb? Is a new one due out soon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
lol if you think people aren't going to complain regardless of how well balanced anything GW could ever release ends up being. Someone will complain, and that complaint will eventually end up here.